• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

fantomena

Lol, the game had the "Play" button on Steam, I clicked it, thought it unpacked, but it only downloaded about 1 GB, and for curious sake I right clicked and found my UPlay code.

garath

Hi,

My Far Cry 4 Graphics, Performance & Tweaking Guide is now live over on GeForce.com: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/far-cry-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

Questions about drivers, profiles and performance are all answered within.

This guide is incredible. For someone that doesn't really have a great handle on what all the PC settings are and what effect they have, the guide is brilliant and will really help me fine tune the best performance for my system with the features that look good to me.

It's actually a little surprising to me that texture quality has so little real performance impact as long as you have the VRAM for it. Learn something new every day.

Unain

That was weird. UPlay updated and all of a sudden I was able to play FC4.
Not gonna complain...

i2500 stock
Geforce 770 GTX - 2 GB version
8 GB Ram

I'm running everything on High (Ambient Occlusion off, hate those much too black edges around objects/people) with SMAA and get a steady 60 FPS. Putting the textures higher seems to make the game stutter on occasions (VRam issue maybe). It will probably run a bit better with the proper Nvidia drivers coming out soon.
I don't want to dip below 60 FPS while playing so these settings work best for me atm.

stufte

I know the drivers are supposed to drop tomorrow but:

rIdeVSp.png

This is an amazing port. A large amount of graphical options to tweak, and great performance across the board. I'm averaging ~35fps on Ultra @ 4K with one 980.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Not particularly good performance on an R9 270x. FPS all over the place. Using a mix of Very High and High, with a couple of things set to Ultra, and SMAA.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That SSBC vs HBAO+ is pretty impressive when comparing performance to results.

Hi,

My Far Cry 4 Graphics, Performance & Tweaking Guide is now live over on GeForce.com: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/far-cry-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

Questions about drivers, profiles and performance are all answered within.

Aha love you Andy

HBAO+, in comparison, renders at an unprecedented 36 samples per pixel at full resolution, with interleaved rendering and other DirectX 11 secret sauce that avoids all artifacts, and greatly increases the quality of the AO effect.

PC is getting some of them console exclusive features!

aravuus

Hmmm. Uplay unlocked the game for me. Thought I would have to wait until tomorrow. Everything seems to work fine, but I have some weird mouse issues. It seems to jump around and provide a really jaggy motion. FPS is solid 60-70 and everything else is smooth.

Gawd, still locked here. US or Europe?

Zeth

Where does the game save file go? Is it possible to easily back up? Worried about the patches and want to be safe.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Lol

How long did that take? I read the whole thing and it was great and easy to understand.

About a week. Play the game, find spots in the first half that aren't spoilerific, do tons of testing, writing, screens, coding, yadda yadda yadda :)

@ AndyBNV, am I right in saying there is a mistake on the two performance guide charts?

http://www.geforce.com/sites/defaul...e-settings-table-gtx-900-and-700-series-3.png

http://www.geforce.com/sites/defaul...-playable-settings-table-gtx-600-series-3.png

It mentions 4GB 780s and 3GB 660s - which I'm fairly sure I'm right in saying don't exist.

Really great guide though! The PC version of this looks to be rather great.

They exist. Were custom models made by some of our AIBs.

Aha love you Andy!

;)

ktroopa

unlocked and uplay download (single download) says its v 1.3.0. am playing now

looks gorgeous with HBAO+ , PCSS and runs like butter here. 60fps solid, with some drops to 55.

i7 2600K @4.5GHZ
MSI GTX970
8GB
Windows 7

Unain

Europe.

Also, the mouse issues I mentioned seems to be related to refresh rate. At 144hz, it was unplayable. At 120hz it seems to work better. Still something strange going on though.

Hmmm, gonna try that as well. That mouse drag is getting a bit annoying.

About a week. Play the game, find spots in the first half that aren't spoilerific, do tons of testing, writing, screens, coding, yadda yadda yadda :)

They exist. Were custom models made by some of our AIBs.

;)

Awesome guide Andy, appreciate the hard work. I guess I'll use your 970 suggestion as a starting point. I'm running 2 1920X1200 monitors with a 970 and i52500k. What would you suggest I would turn down first to boost performance?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I just finished that Nvidia article and this part seems pretty important.

Given the minuscule visual improvement that ATOC affords, anyone seeking extra performance should set AlphaToCoverage to "0" in GamerProfile.xml.

It's a noticeable framerate hit, only affects grass, and if you're already using some other type of alpha AA it's going to provide very little benefit.

You need to go into the GamerProfile.xml file to disable it, which can be located at

Code:
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Far Cry 4\Default

and set

Code:
AlphaToCoverage to "0"

Seriously though, that was super comprehensive. Great work Andy. You deserve that vacation.

hoserx

Great guide, Andy. I love tweaking stuff like that , but yeah.....that's a lot of work. Looking forward to my copy unlocking tomorrow.

garath

I just finished that Nvidia article and this part seems pretty important.

It's a noticeable framerate hit, only affects grass, and if you're already using some other type of alpha AA it's going to provide very little benefit.

You need to go into the GamerProfile.xml file to disable it, which can be located at

Code:
C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Far Cry 4\Default

and set

Code:
AlphaToCoverage to "0"

Seriously though, that was super comprehensive. Great work Andy. You deserve that vacation.

Yeah. I'm probably going to change that instantly regardless of how well everything else is performing.

aravuus

Europe.

Also, the mouse issues I mentioned seems to be related to refresh rate. At 144hz, it was unplayable. At 120hz it seems to work better. Still something strange going on though.

Aww man, why isn't my game unlocking

Come on uplay

COME ON

Thanks for the heads up btw, I've also got a 144hz monitor so at least I know what I'll try first if I'm having mouse problems.

e: or not

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Awesome guide Andy, appreciate the hard work. I guess I'll use your 970 suggestion as a starting point. I'm running 2 1920X1200 monitors with a 970 and i52500k. What would you suggest I would turn down first to boost performance?

It's all rather subjective... People are always getting mad on our site because we recommend x instead y, so that's why I've included literally every setting. Folks can review what everything does and decide if Water Low is an acceptable trade off to increase Shadows to Ultra.

The only firm advice I would give is to avoid Terrain Medium and Shadows High, as they're unequivocally 'bad'.

Yeah. I'm probably going to change that instantly regardless of how well everything else is performing.
Yup. Wonder why the chose to hide that setting in the config file this time around instead of having it as an in-game option, like in Far Cry 3.

Unain

I seem to have spoken too early. Didn't seem to help.

Just looked through the GamerProfile.xml and apparently this setting was set to "1":

MouseAcceleration="0"

There is another setting in there called:

MouseAccelerationOn="0"

which was set to "0". This was probably not working. Or they must have messed up the ingame menu with the wrong command.

I just changed MouseAcceleration="0" and it seems to work ingame. It feels a lot more responsive :).

riflen

The hard work that's gone into that guide is very evident. Great work again, Andy. I wonder when you'll get the chance to actually play and enjoy these games.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
The hard work that's gone into that guide is very evident. Great work again, Andy. I wonder when you'll get the chance to actually play and enjoy these games.

Usually in December when the madness has ended, but then someone went and set Metal Gear for Dec 18th....

Hey, Andy, how will my GTX 690 FPS be if I set the settings like the spreadsheet says?

Should be damned good, but like I say, can't account for the other elements of your system so it's only a starting point.

fantomena

Usually in December when the madness has ended, but then someone went and set Metal Gear for Dec 18th....

Should be damned good, but like I say, can't account for the other elements of your system so it's only a starting point.

Cool. I have an Intel Core i7 2600 3,4 GHz and 12 GB RAM for that matter. Looking to upgrade my processor too if needed during christmas.

Just looked through the GamerProfile.xml and apparently this setting was set to "1":

There is another setting in there called:

which was set to "0". This was probably not working. Or they must have messed up the ingame menu with the wrong command.

I just changed MouseAcceleration="0" and it seems to work ingame. It feels a lot more responsive :).

Can't really say it helped setting MouseAcceleration to 0. I did set the mouse sensitivity to 1.00 in the xml and doubled the dpi on my mouse instead. It got rid of the worst acceleration it seems, but whenever I use the mouse to look around, I get jaggy movement. Same thing kind of happens when I drive a vehicle, leaving me to think there are some bigger issues than just the mouse here. Generally, looking around feels like a 30 fps experience in a 60+fps world.

This is in addition to the mouse losing focus from my main monitor and suddenly allowing me to click on my second monitor. When this happens during combat, it gets old real fast.

Faith

This game is completely broken. So many bugs that you can't play it. And the performance is so bad.

Something is really wrong with the game.

Corpsepyre

Banned
The game runs like complete ass on AMD cards it seems. A friend with a 290 can't go above 40-45 fps. I'm running it on lower settings on my 270x as well, and it tops out at 40.

Genio88

Here's a comparison. There's something wrong with SMAA in this game, but MSAA makes vegetation all jaggy.
Nvidia's performance guide recommends 2x TXAA on anything above a 4GB 770, and I agree.

I have an AMD r9 290 so no TXAA for me, it's an Nvidia exclusive, though from that comparison i cannot see a lot of difference between the 2, both look good, maybe the SMAA looks even better

I think SMAA looks pretty good

Indeed, it's almost the same of MSAA and should be pretty less demanding, i guess i'l have to see them directly in my game to decide which one to use

The game runs like complete ass on AMD cards it seems. A friend with a 290 can't go above 40-45 fps. I'm running it on lower settings on my 270x as well, and it tops out at 40.

That's a bad news, i've got a 290 OC too, and i expected 50-60fps on Ultra like a gtx 970, will see, i'll dive into this game once beaten Unity(i'm almost there), i hope meanwhile an update could improve performance for AMD cards

It's all rather subjective... People are always getting mad on our site because we recommend x instead y, so that's why I've included literally every setting. Folks can review what everything does and decide if Water Low is an acceptable trade off to increase Shadows to Ultra.

The only firm advice I would give is to avoid Terrain Medium and Shadows High, as they're unequivocally 'bad'.

Thanks Andy, I'll keep that in mind when I'm messing with settings tomorrow :D

ELCID777

Neo Member

Can confirm this. Getting horrible fps with crossfire HD 7970GHz. I can barely even break 30fps at just 1920x1200, ultra settings and 2xMSAA. By comparison, I could run Far Cry 3 with the same rig at 2720x1700, 4xMSAA, ultra settings and get a rock solid 30fps and solid 60fps at 1200p .

The only other game that has been so demanding on my rig like this is Unity.

That's why I hate all this "the way it's meant to be played" and "AMD Evolved" crap. One side is always going to get fucked with shitty optimization efforts or none at all.

On another note, does anyone know if AMD included a Far Cry 4 profile in the latest beta driver? I tried adding the game to CCC and it keeps telling me there's already a profile for this game, but I can't find it anywhere in the list.

nvidia promoted game that runs shit on competitor hardware. what a surprise. especially after last year's game ran fairly well...

will be avoiding for a good while.

BPoole

Can confirm this. Getting horrible fps with crossfire HD 7970GHz. I can barely even break 30fps at just 1920x1200, ultra settings and 2xMSAA. By comparison, I could run Far Cry 3 with the same rig at 2720x1700, 4xMSAA, ultra settings and get a rock solid 30fps and solid 60fps at 1200p .

The only other game that has been so demanding on my rig like this is Unity.

That's why I hate all this "the way it's meant to be played" and "AMD Evolved" crap. One side is always going to get fucked with shitty optimization efforts or none at all.

On another note, does anyone know if AMD included a Far Cry 4 profile in the latest beta driver? I tried adding the game to CCC and it keeps telling me there's already a profile for this game, but I can't find it anywhere in the list.
I'm getting really sick of this hardware marketing bullshit that performs better on one manufacturer vs the other. I had an HD6950 for FC3 and could run it at pretty solid settings even in 1440p. If my 290 can't maintain 60fps on high I'm going to be pissed.

Top Bottom