• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUELEN10

Danthrax, that banner SCREAMS "Poketopia", but I don't know why.....

Awesome though.

EDIT: it is the font. Not exactly the same, but similar enough....
ok0g2f.jpg

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
HUELEN10 said:
Danthrax, that banner SCREAMS "Poketopia", but I don't know why.....

Awesome though.

?

:)lol thanks)

I couldn't find the Wii font's name so I just chose a minimalist font that I liked. It's named Avenida LET.

HUELEN10

Danthrax said:
?

:)lol thanks)

I couldn't find the Wii font's name so I just chose a minimalist font that I liked. It's named Avenida LET.
As for Wii font, "continuum" is as close as you will get. As for banners, I might make you one.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I suggest renaming the thread "The Official Nintendownload Thread."

RIDICULE AWAY!

I didn't have any issue with the old thread, all you had to do was go to the last page and search back a page or two to find out what had been released but I'm not against this.

It's funny looking back at that old thread, Jiggy37 had 887 posts in it, Capndrake had 780 and Iam Canadian had 751. I only had 48, thought I had more. I guess I lurked more than I posted in that thread. I hope this thread is as long lived, and wish you luck with updating the OP. Either way I'll post in this VC thread neavous.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yeah it's similar but not the same. If you look at the As, the Poketopia A's horizontal line is higher up while my banner's A is lower. Also, Poketopia's A's horizontal line only goes past the vertical line on the left side, while my banner's A goes past both vertical lines.

And if you'd like to make me an awesome banner, be my guest =)

HUELEN10 said:
What about "Official Worldwide Thread On Things To Spend Ninty Points On"?

How about Naming it the "Official Ninty Ninty Ninty Thread of Nintying Ninty" for those cats who seems to flip out over the use of the word Ninty?

Ninty.

HUELEN10

Danthrax said:
Yeah it's similar but not the same. If you look at the As, the Poketopia A's horizontal line is higher up while my banner's A is lower. Also, Poketopia's A's horizontal line only goes past the vertical line on the left side, while my banner's A goes past both vertical lines.

And if you'd like to make me an awesome banner, be my guest =)
I will have it done within the hour. I am thinking of designing something that merges both the DSi and Wii Shop Channels and their interfaces.....

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
HUELEN10 said:
I will have it done within the hour. I am thinking of designing something that merges both the DSi and Wii Shop Channels and their interfaces.....

I have various Christmas functions that I must attend tonight so I may not be back for a few hours (possibly not even until tomorrow evening) to update this thread.

I will be back, though. =P

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
HUELEN10 said:
Almost done with the banner.....

You want the Thread title in it correct?

It doesn't have to exactly be in there. Something approximating what the thread title says would be fine. "NeoGAF" may optionally be in there as well.

HUELEN10

Danthrax said:
It doesn't have to exactly be in there. Something approximating what the thread title says would be fine. "NeoGAF" may optionally be in there as well.
Done!
2zojaj6.png

Let me explain.

Dr. Mario on the right represents the first Japanese WiiWare game, Dr. Mario online Rx.

Mario in the center is for the first Japan VC release, Super Mario Bros.

Pyoro on the right is for one if the first DSi Titles, but it is also a game that already existed, akin to the other 2.

Mario with the cyan orb is the DSi Shop's download indicator, and he happily carries the Awesome GAF logo.

The WiiWare, VC, And DSiWare logos are on the top, with appropriate characters near them, or in the case of 8-bit mario, hitting the logo like a block!

The space on the right is for that week's date and featured game. I would be happy to keep it up-to-date.

Enjoy!

CTLance

I hate to be a party pooper, but the mere thought of another hugemegaultraomgwtfbbqseventrillionpostslong VC and Wiiware thread is making me weep acid tears.
I have nothing against a quick "$date: $game was released ($region, $price)" log thread to keep abreast of releases, but for the actual discussion and stuff I'd definitely prefer separate threads. Big threads just get unwieldy after a while.

That being said, this looks neat, and good luck to all involved. I salute your willingness to suffer for the greater good.

HUELEN10

CTLance said:
I hate to be a party pooper, but the mere thought of another hugemegaultraomgwtfbbqseventrillionpostslong VC and Wiiware thread is making me weep acid tears.
I have nothing against a quick "$date: $game was released ($region, $price)" log thread to keep abreast of releases, but for the actual discussion and stuff I'd definitely prefer separate threads. Big threads just get unwieldy after a while.

That being said, this looks neat, and good luck to all involved. I salute your willingness to suffer for the greater good.
Well, he did link to the other 2 thread in the OP for that great discussion. This is more of a quick info bar, if you know what I mean.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
YES, you are awesome Huelen, thank you!

CTLance said:

This will probably end up being a large thread but you'll only need to look at the OP to get the info you need on this week's offerings. It'll change each week. If you want to talk about the latest games, you can just go to this thread's last page and fire away. Or go to one of the threads linked at the bottom of the OP, whichever people end up doing.

Teknoman

HUELEN10 said:
Well, he did link to the other 2 thread in the OP for that great discussion. This is more of a quick info bar, if you know what I mean.

Which is needed. I really dont like wading through tons of stuff just to find out whats up on the shop.

HUELEN10

Teknoman said:
Which is needed. I really dont like wading through tons of stuff just to find out whats up on the shop.
Me neither. BTW Danthrax, please update the OP with DSi info if you can!

TJ Spyke

It's been awhile since i've done, but if anyone cares this is the difference between North America and PAL for Virtual Console (I am including tomorrow's PAL releases in this).

North America, but not PAL regions:
NES- The Legend of Kage, Elevator Action, Milon's Secret Castle, Lode Runner, Star Soldier, Super C (available in EU, not in AUS), NES Play Action Football, Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos, Zanac, Ghosts 'n Goblins (available in EU, not AUS), Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom, King's Knight, Bases Loaded, Renegade, Sky Kid, Donkey Kong 3, Clu Clu Land, Super Dodge Ball, Tecmo Bowl

SNES- Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of Fire, Metal Marines, Axelay (available in AUS, not EU), Super Turrican 2

N64- Mario Golf

SMS- Enduro Racer

GEN/MD- Powerball

TG16 & TG16CD- Bravoman, Ordyne

PAL regions, but not North America:
NES- Skate or Die!, Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, Devil World

SNES- Mario's Super Picross

GEN/MD- Crack Down, ESWAT: City Under Siege

C64 (in EU, not AUS)- International Karate, Uridium, California Games, Impossible Mission, The Last Ninja, World Games, Paradroid, Last Ninja 2: Back with a Vengeance, Nebulus, Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine, Summer Games II, International Karate +, Pitstop II, Boulder Dash, Jumpman, Mayhem in Monsterland, Impossible Mission II, Last Ninja 3: Real Hatred is Timeless

Total: 27 only in North America only, 6 in EU/AUS only, 18 in EU only, 2 in NA and EU, 1 in NA and AUS. I might do WiiWare too if anybody wants me to include that with next weeks update.

Danthrax -

Thread is a great idea, but perhaps you might take a couple of words of advice from someone who has been (vaguely) involved in maintaining a regularly updated megathread:

-- Images will become the bane of your life. Updating the banner image every couple of days is a pain. Sorting game images for each new title is a pain. It's one of the things that will lead to update fatigue very quickly.

-- Images are also a pain for readers. If I want to see what's happening with this week's update I want to see it with clear, simple text. A mix of large and small images from different sources is simply distracting from the information you want to present.

-- Have a backup GAFer. When your interest flags or life intervenes you will want someone on hand to make sure the thread is kept up to date and organised.

...and if you can bear one more bit of well-intentioned advice, an OP layout like this may be preferable:

------------------------------------------------

nintendowarebanner.png

Big thanks to Huelen for making the banner! Read about the symbolism here.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday in North America. They go up every Tuesday in Japan. Europe updates every Friday, with alternating WiiWare and Virtual Console weeks.

JAPAN

WiiWare

Simple Series Vol. 3: Mahjong (D3 / 1-4 players / 500 Wii Points)
Lost Winds (Square-Enix / 1-2 players / 1,000 Wii Points)

Virtual Console

Salamander (Famicom / Konami / 1 player / 500 Wii Points)
Super Nobunaga no Yabou: Zengoku Han (Super Famicom / KOEI / 1-8 players / 1,000 Wii Points)
Super Wonder Boy: Monster World (Master System / Sega / 500 Wii Points)
Fire Pro Wrestling 3: Legend Bout (PC Engine / Human Entertainment / 600 Wii Points)

NORTH AMERICA

WiiWare

Tiki Towers (RealArcade / 1-2 players / 500 Wii Points / 284 Blocks)
Fun! Fun! Minigolf (Shin'en Multimedia / 1-4 players / 900 Wii Points / 302 Blocks)

Virtual Console

Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium (Sega Genesis / Sega / 1 player / 800 Wii Points / 42 Blocks)

EUROPE

WiiWare

None.

Virtual Console

Secret of Mana (Super Nintendo / Square-Enix / 800 Wii Points)
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Master System / Sega / 500 Wii Points)

Links to Related Threads

For a more exhaustive look at the entire WiiWare library, including recommended titles to purchase and to avoid, check out PantherLotus' WiiWare Discussion thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247865

If you're looking for the old thread for Virtual Console and, to a smaller extent, WiiWare discussion, check out Kobun Heat's thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129709

------------------------------------------------

... I know it's completely stripped back, but it's readable at a glance and it contains all the essential information for anyone wanting to see what this week's updates look like. ESRB ratings, press release blurb etc. are just padding and a basic layout like this is much, much easier to maintain and keep coherent than one packed with images, extra info etc.

EDIT:

Oops - pulled out the update dates. They should stay in, bracketed after the region just to keep it clear whether you're seeing last week or this week in the updates. You could maybe add links to the Wiki pages for previous WiiWare/VC releases at the end of the post if you fancy as well.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
OP updated with barebones DSiWare information.

Thanks for the suggestions Cosmonaut. I like the pictures, though. I'm only putting one or two for each game so as not to overload people, which I think is reasonable. If people are too lazy to scroll past them and look for the bolded game titles, I just don't know what to say.

I agree that the different sized pictures are kind of annoying. I edited the Japanese VC game pics though, which makes it better. Those things are gaudy.

I won't have to update the thread banner though, Huelen is doing that. He's updating the same image so it will "automatically" update. (Which is very helpful.)

Somnid

Danthrax said:
OP updated with barebones DSiWare information.

Thanks for the suggestions Cosmonaut. I like the pictures, though. I'm only putting one or two for each game so as not to overload people, which I think is reasonable. If people are too lazy to scroll past them and look for the bolded game titles, I just don't know what to say.

I agree that the different sized pictures are kind of annoying. I edited the Japanese VC game pics though, which makes it better. Those things are gaudy.

I won't have to update the thread banner though, Huelen is doing that. He's updating the same image so it will "automatically" update. (Which is very helpful.)

Yeah, I like Cosmonaut's criticisms. If possible try to standardize all image sizes, that would go a long way for readibility.

Also, there is a mistake in the DSiWare:

"A little Magic Tournament" should be "Chotto Magic Taizen" to keep in-line with the other translations. Also, that's just the over- arching series name, it's actually 3 titles:

Chotto Magic Taizen: 3 Card Shuffle
Chotto Magic Taizen: Funny Face
Chotto Magic Taizen: Scary Numbers (Osoroshii Suuji)

Each one is 200 points.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Thanks Somnid, the Magic Taizen thing is fixed now.

Also, the Japanese WiiWare and VC images now have thumbnails that are roughly the same size as the thumbnails for the European and North American lists. If you click on them, you'll see the original full sizes. You may have to reload the images for the JP VC pictures to see the new thumbnails.

I'm much happier with this now, it looks quite a bit less messy. I hope it helps!

(Also, thanks to Teknopathetic for changing the thread to reflect its newly expanded focus!)

[edit] aaaand the DSiWare games are now sorted by cost, then by alphabetical order; additionally, all the "Wii Points" are changed to "Nintendo Points"

Not to be a spoiler nazi, but isn't that the last boss in the Secret of Mana second shot? It's been a while since I've beaten it, but I'm playing through it again and would hate to have those who have yet to beat it be spoiled in a thread that they would likely be checking.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
ratcliffja said:
Not to be a spoiler nazi, but isn't that the last boss in the Secret of Mana second shot? It's been a while since I've beaten it, but I'm playing through it again and would hate to have those who have yet to beat it be spoiled in a thread that they would likely be checking.

oh hijo de puta =P

...not no mo'. fixed.

The mega-thread thing is a real pain in the ass.

These might be a little bit better being akin to BuddyC's threads. Do a new one each week, and update the first post as the week progresses. It might even be worth encompassing all the platforms that have downloadable releases. Call it something like:

Digital Download Releases - 12/21 - 12/27

You might even be able to convince the mods to sticky it each week and make it a sister thread to BuddyC's weekly release threads.

HUELEN10

Kobun Heat said:
Can my thread be the thread about complaining about how shitty VC is
Why not, it is linked on the OP after all.

"Kobun's Bitchin' thread, we really mean bitching"!
:lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
bmf said:
The mega-thread thing is a real pain in the ass.

These might be a little bit better being akin to BuddyC's threads. Do a new one each week, and update the first post as the week progresses. It might even be worth encompassing all the platforms that have downloadable releases. Call it something like:

Digital Download Releases - 12/21 - 12/27

You might even be able to convince the mods to sticky it each week and make it a sister thread to BuddyC's weekly release threads.

oh my lord you want to kill me dont you

Kobun Heat said:
Can my thread be the thread about complaining about how shitty VC is

Yes. Yes it can.

Danthrax said:
oh my lord you want to kill me dont you
Not really. I just want weekly threads instead of megathreads. Template it out, and publish when the NA games are announced on Monday morning, then add the other regions during the week.

*shrug*

HUELEN10

bmf said:
Not really. I just want weekly threads instead of megathreads. Template it out, and publish when the NA games are announced on Monday morning, then add the other regions during the week.

*shrug*
It could be a good idea. It could also let a backup staffer be on hand for the sake of updating the OP, by making a new thread.

As for the banner, It will be always kept up-to-date regardless. Just refresh it!

TJ Spyke

I'm gonna need to at least get a SD card soon. After recent VC/WW downloads (World of Goo, Defend Your Castle, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars), I am down to about 300 blocks.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
bmf said:

*shrug*

so we would need

Japanese VC
Japanese WiiWare
Japanese DSiWare
Japanese PSN
Japanese XBLA
European VC
European WiiWare
European DSiWare, eventually
European PSN
European XBLA
North American VC
North American WiiWare
North American DSiWare, eventually
North American PSN
North American XBLA
GameTap
Steam
whatever Steam clones are out there

...all in one thread. That would truly be a megathread!

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Well, it's not like there are many positive things to say about the VC release schedule as of late.

This is not a slight against Phantasy Star IV or any other good games we've gotten lately, just a slight against the slowness of their arrival.

At any rate, Japan only just got Lost Winds? I totally forgot it wasn't already out over there. Not that the Japanese were missing much. One of the most sleep-inducingly easy games released in a long time, with nothing worthwhile to back up its interesting control mechanics. I'd whole-heartedly embrace a sequel that took the basic concept and made it actually challenging, though.

HUELEN10

Danthrax said:
so we would need

Japanese VC
Japanese WiiWare
Japanese DSiWare
Japanese PSN
Japanese XBLA
European VC
European WiiWare
European DSiWare, eventually
European PSN
European XBLA
North American VC
North American WiiWare
North American DSiWare, eventually
North American PSN
North American XBLA
GameTap
Steam
whatever Steam clones are out there

...all in one thread. That would truly be a megathread!

I would keep it nintendo only, seriously.

Capndrake

Japanese schedule for January:

FC:
-Tantei Jinguji Saburo
-Getsu Fuma Den
-Zoids Revelations

N64:
-Super Smash Bros.

SMS:
-Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of ***-*** (Why is that word still blocked)

MD:
-Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair

PCE:
-Rastan Saga Part 2
-Legend of Xanadu 2
-Spriggan Mark 2
-Champion Wrestler

HUELEN10

Capndrake said:

FC:
-?
-?
-Zoids Revelations

N64:
-Super Smash Bros.

SMS:

MD:

PCE:
-Rastan Saga Part 2
-Legend of Xanadu 2
-Spriggan Mark 2
-Champion Wrestling
OH FABULOUS JOY! I know a lot of people who will be happy for Smash!

BTW, what are the Famicom Question Marks? Secret, or unknown?

Capndrake

HUELEN10 said:
OH FABULOUS JOY!

BTW, what are the Famicom Question Marks? Secret, or unknown?
No idea what they are. One's a detective game (Not Famicom Detective Club) published by Arc System Works, the other's a Konami game involving demons. Damn you, Babelfish!

EDIT: Got 'em, see above.

ksamedi

Danthrax said:
YES, you are awesome Huelen, thank you!

This will probably end up being a large thread but you'll only need to look at the OP to get the info you need on this week's offerings. It'll change each week. If you want to talk about the latest games, you can just go to this thread's last page and fire away. Or go to one of the threads linked at the bottom of the OP, whichever people end up doing.

Whats the point of having this thread then? We already have huge VC and Wiiware threads. This should be weekly to avoid all the clutter.

Somnid

探偵神宮寺三郎 危険な二人(前後編) - Tantei Jinguuji Saburo Kikena Futari (Zengohen)

月風魔伝 - Getsu Fuumaden

edit: Oh you got them

Capndrake said:

FC:
-Tantei Jinguji Saburo
-Getsu Fuma Den
-Zoids Revelations

N64:
-Super Smash Bros.

SMS:

MD:

PCE:
-Rastan Saga Part 2
-Legend of Xanadu 2
-Spriggan Mark 2
-Champion Wrestler

Nice update, though the only one that the US is sure to see next month is SSB. Will be great to have all the Smash Bros games on one console! (No more broken N64 controllers or crappy slowdown and blurry picture quality! :D)

Still no 3rd Party N64 games though (or Majora's Mask :( )

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Super Smash Bros in Japan, eh? Ah, the days when Ness was uber...

The original Smash Bros is still fun, so I might buy it again. Then again, it's not like I don't still have an N64 in working order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom