• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Experience Event 2014 - 20 Years of gaming memories distilled

Smo21

Do we re-board the hype train for this mystery game?
tumblr_nb9bck6Kqs1sthzylo1_500.jpg

viveks86

The Playstation Experience - Part I

There was a line for people with wrist bands. A line for people without wristbands. A line for gates to open. A line for every food truck. A line for the men's restroom (no line for the women's restroom because they constituted 10-15% of the total population at PSX, which was a pleasant surprise since I expected lower, but I digress). A line for every major game. A line for morpheus demo. A line for retail. A line for giveaways. You must be pretty annoyed with the way I repeat lines over and over. Guess what. That accurately represents one of many emotions I experienced throughout this event. Thankfully, it was only one of many.

I woke up at 6:30 AM because I thought it gave me enough time to be reasonably early for the event. Evidently, I was so wrong. The first thing I saw on GAF was a post showing pictures of 100s of people already queuing up. It was time to drastically accelerate my morning routine. This was a matter of life or death. After a questionably rapid ablution and an extremely brief cab ride where I tipped the driver 100% just to show him my gratitude for driving me 2 blocks, I was at the Venetian by 7:30 AM. I was greeted by 2 lines and 400 people. One for the smarty pants who collected their wrist bands the previous day and the other for the dumbasses who couldn't make it to town early enough to do so. I was a dumbass, of course. The smarty pants line kept growing, while the rest of us waited for box office to open to get our wrist bands. I was early enough to make it in, but I thought I'd probably not get good seats for the keynote. Surprisingly, the box office opened about the same time as they started letting people with wrist bands in and we were able to join the main waiting line at the gates pretty quickly. I managed to get in the first 300. Lucky dumbass, I guess? As the main door opened, we rushed to the best seats available at the cavernous auditorium. This place was huge and could easily seat thousands of people. Managed to get a sweet spot right in the middle about 15 rows away. Near enough to see everything clearly, but far enough to get a full field of view.

Everybody knows what happened after that so I won't dive into the details. The Uncharted demo was jaw dropping and people gasped and cheered for every minor detail. The visuals, the openness and verticality of the levels, the contextual actions and associated animations, the sense of scale, the stealth mechanics from TLOU, Drakes heavier, deliberate movement, the rope mechanic, were all a joy to watch. The game didn't look as good as the reveal trailer, especially Drake's hair, and it was clearly 30 fps. I'm not sure if they changed their target to 30 now or if this was done just to get a playable build, but it was a sight to behold regardless. It would be a PR mess after all the 60 fps trumpeting they did, so I'm hoping it's just an issue of a WIP build. Only time (or Corrinne Yu) can tell.

The Order 1886 gameplay demo was… odd. After a lackluster, disjointed trailer the previous night, I was hoping for a cohesive and substantive presentation on stage. That wasn't the case. RAD had failed to make a proper public appearance yet again. But Ru mentioned there would be a 30 minute demo playable, so I didn't entirely give up hope. I was going to get my hands on this thing so I can make up my mind at last. But more on that later.

Sony followed up with game after game after game. It was a bit disorienting, in a good way. There is just so much content coming out in 2015 that it's difficult for an indie lover like myself to be disappointed.

SF 5 had leaked, so the impact was a little dampened. And then FF7 was announced and the crowd went bonkers. But as we saw footage, it started to sink in that this was really a lazy up-res'd version. It still took a while to sink in, so we kept awkwardly cheering while our minds were revolting with us. I knew FF 7 was being made, but I didn't know it was coming at PSX. And i didn't know it wasn't a remake. Well played, Hashimoto san. Well played. The announcements that followed were all great, but didn't really fill me with overwhelming feels. It didn't make me want to jump up and dance.

Now that most games were announced, it was time to wait for all the rumored megatons I'd been hearing from people who had "credible sources" all week. Other than SF5 (yay) and FF7 (lol), none of them happened. Even though I never cared so much for big announcements, I could easily see how people would have felt let down. Couldn't we get TLG at least? Damn it, Shu! It better show up at next E3. Or TGS. Or E3…

Overall, I'd rate the keynote on par with their recent gamescom conference. Showed tremendous focus on games and a love for gamers and developers that is often missing in these kind of events. But the wait for those mega first party titles continue.

Zukkoyaki

I don't get it...was this Drawn to Death game supposed to be a big deal? They even ended the presser with it.

Probably yes.

It's a new IP from a storied PlayStation game developer with a unique premise and fun looking gameplay. While it may not appeal to everyone, it definitely has some significance. It was also the biggest Sony published/developed game announced during the keynote, hence it being the closer (even though Uncharted should have been the finale).

Is the mystery game confirmed to be completely unannounced? Or could it be something that has been talked about that we haven't really seen much on yet?

I refuse to get myself hyped for this.

It would be brilliant of Sony to save a megaton for the 2nd day, but I'm really really not counting on it.

But they do have enough studios at work with games we don't know about yet.

SDCowboy

Is the mystery game confirmed to be completely unannounced? Or could it be something that has been talked about that we haven't really seen much on yet?

I'm not sure we know. I'm going into it assuming it's already announced though. I've had enough disappointment.

SgtCobra

Stop that hype train from departing!! *CHOO CHOO*

Who am I kidding. Prepare yourselves for some drawn to Death gameplay.

Predwolf

The FF7 catastrophe tore a massive hole in my PSX hype balloon. It is unable to float again and will need a year to be patched up.

The mystery game will be D2D.

Skii

What was the general feeling on here after yesterday's press conference? I haven't really had time to catch up as I missed everything :(

Top Bottom