• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the State of Play (31st January 2024)

Rate the state of play

• Total voters

Fbh

Ok, I can kind of understand the B grades if you only own a playstation. So, I guess it's that crowd that's rating it so highly.

The curse of owning a PC strikes again I guess.

Luke warm for me, there was no real must haves for my playstations at all. I mean Stellar Blade could be a must have if they nail it, which I hope they do but i havr no knowledge if the studio deserves to have faith put in it. The rest were all PC/multi plat games or just looked poor imo.

It's just different tastes I guess. Like giving this an A Is wild to me.

Just having kojima say he is working on an interactive film....we've seen this for years. No footage...no title card even...Just playing the audience like a fiddle and it clearly works every time.

Not seeing an A or B at all, but I guess if you only own a playstation you could see it as a B, but even then I think it's a push.

These events generally aren't intended to get people with mid/high end PC's to buy a Playstation. These are generally aimed at people who either primarily play on Playstation or people who generally only own 1 (maybe 2 if they have a handheld) gaming systems.

It's like when they say Sony had a bad 2023 because they only had 1 major first party game. But the Ps5 continued to sell really well because the average people buying consoles aren't hardcore games who also have a $1000+ PC and a Series X and only care about exclusives. The average consumers sees RE4 Remake, FFXVI, Hogwarts Legacy, Baldurs Gate 3, Diablo 4, Jedi Survivor, Street Fighter 6, Spiderman 2 etc and go "damn that was a good year to play games on Ps5".

Last edited:

Sacred

I feel genuinely sorry for people who had this reaction.

For me, Death Stranding is such a stunning experience by every metric - gameplay, graphics, SOUNDTRACK, story, characters, originality - everything. I'm not even a Kojima fangirl, hated MGS5, never really played MGS4....but still. Death Stranding is a genuine masterpiece.
Feel sorry? You have your opinion just as I am entitled to mine which was actually the consensus with the majority of people. Don't be so condescending just because I don't agree with your take on the title.

Sojiro

Got a chance to watch this last night and I would say a solid B. Stellar blade looked great, Dave the Diver is a great game so a good port there, SH2 Remake looks good imo, not sure why there is outrage about it?, and Rise of Ronin look fucking awesome. I really like the setting for Rise of Ronin.

The trailer of the event was Dragons Dogma 2 for me, I just recently played through the first game in December and loved my time with it. All DD2 has to do is just give more classes, weapon types and larger monsters to fight and I would be happy, and it's looking really good. Death Stranding 2 probably won't be for me like the first game, but that trailer is certainly Kojima as fuck lol, it is cool to hear they are working on another ACTION ESPIONAGE (I love the unnecessary caps on the subtitles) but without any gameplay you know that is many years away.

Last edited:

NahaNago

To some extend yeah, I do feel the GaaS stuff might've derailed some project timelines internally. But I also feel that changes were probably implemented in the middle of last year, shortly after that May showcase. However, if anything was thrown off, it'd take time to get everything back into place.

Thankfully Sony/SIE have a lot of 2P projects going on, including through branches like XDEV, and they very likely have marketing rights to upcoming massive games like GTA6. I think they'll be fine for this year and the next, and by 2026 all internal 1P operations would be fully back on track without GaaS distraction derails (outside of whatever specific studios are specializing in that, which would be the new ones like Haven and Deviation).

I do agree that it'd be a smart move if SIE got back to making more internal AA games, though. Especially if they've adjusted the PC port strategy (hopefully, with at least 2x longer windows between versions, or just saving PC for GaaS and ports/remasters of very old/legacy games or the occasional remake of an old game that could be Day 1); redirect that focus to more 1P AA software, or a mix of that and co-development of more 3P AA/AAA exclusives.

Good point. There was a lot of Japan & Asian presence in the SOP, and some stuff feeling like natural evolutions of the kind of less mainstream/cult cuts that we regularly got in the 6th and 7th gens, like with Stellar Yams (Blade). Stuff that seems like it wants to be really cool games and okay with some weirdness in them.

Somehow that's gone over a lot of people's heads :/
So if they just got back on track last year then we are at least 2 years away from release.

I think next year will be a 1p drought with mostly only wolverine but GTA6. Sony relies too heavily on Squareenix.

They should target both pc and console at the start for all Gaas games. Remaster(but not remakes) ports should go to pc. I'd also increase the window for pc ports. I agree on the focus mixing of co-develpment. Kinda wish they went a little crazier on the co-development and got more crazier/ interesting indies.

Varteras

Gold Member
I give it a B. I largely zoned out during it because there just wasn't much that grabbed me. Stellar Babe looks hot. DS2 was fucking wild. The only reason I'm giving the show a B instead of a C, was the announcement of Not Metal Gear Solid. Just want clarity on it being some movie, game, interactive thing.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
For me in a show like that to get an A does not have to be banger after banger

In that kind of show give me even 2 or 3 games I really want to play and it can get a high score because I know all our tastes are varied so the games will be as well.

Rambling here I guess
This is my reasoning too. An S rank is every game I want to own Day 1. I don't see that happening in any showcase event but we got enough of a show of games for the 1st half of this year. It's an A show based on having a fantastic number of games I want to play both on PS5 and VR

Ar¢tos

Somewhere between a C and a D.
I'm happy for those that like the games shown, but I don't care for basically all of them, except maybe Legendary Tales.

Definitely an A for a state of play imo. Better than some showcases. Got great Stellar Blade gameplay with the release date. Got a shadow drop with silent hill. Got VR games. Then the game of the show Foamstars. /s

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
These events generally aren't intended to get people with mid/high end PC's to buy a Playstation. These are generally aimed at people who either primarily play on Playstation or people who generally only own 1 (maybe 2 if they have a handheld) gaming systems.

It's like when they say Sony had a bad 2023 because they only had 1 major first party game. But the Ps5 continued to sell really well because the average people buying consoles aren't hardcore games who also have a $1000+ PC and a Series X and only care about exclusives. The average consumers sees RE4 Remake, FFXVI, Hogwarts Legacy, Baldurs Gate 3, Diablo 4, Jedi Survivor, Street Fighter 6, Spiderman 2 etc and go "damn that was a good year to play games on Ps5".

Yeah, but we are on a gaming forum with enthusiasts. I wouldn't expect this kind of showcase to gwt Bs or As from the crowd on here.

Imo an A grade would be two absolute bangers like Hey check out this new sony first party game like ghost of tsushima for 2024 and a trader with footage for aony santander Monica's new game or last of us 3 in 2025. Does that make sense?

A B grade would have been this show plus one big sony first party game dropping in holiday season. Like GOT 2 or something.

Just my opinion

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Hey that's more than concord at least
go-fuck-yourself-elon-musk.gif

(Sorry for the language)

Keep in mind, that the dude calling out TheAmazingDuffus on X(formerly twitter), has more than 60k twitter followers and his sub 60 level iq, makes him equate the meltdown of one incredibly retarded fanboy to what he thinks is the reaction of an entire fanbase. Which ain't just dumb, it makes him sound like an absolute idiot.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

The only game that interested me was Stellar Blade. I will get it on PC. I give Stellar Blade a B for looking like a game I could get into, I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. The rest of the show was just a C for me. DS1 never looked good to me in the first place, and walking simulator with cutscenes part 2 doesn't look good to me either. Just make that shit into a movie like the Dune trilogy or something and I might watch it Kojima, but the pretty graphic aren't going to get me to try this one.

The giant Voldo-claw guy is a relief. I was worried that it would just be regular human enemies throughout, which got boring in Ghost of Tsushima.

Alebrije

Stellar Blade better and deeper than expected
Judas My Ps5 is ready.
DS2 Best Game of the show

It's a solid B+ , A If Kojima had showed a Small view of the next Tactical Spy Game.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, but we are on a gaming forum with enthusiasts. I wouldn't expect this kind of showcase to gwt Bs or As from the crowd on here.

Imo an A grade would be two absolute bangers like Hey check out this new sony first party game like ghost of tsushima for 2024 and a trader with footage for aony santander Monica's new game or last of us 3 in 2025. Does that make sense?

A B grade would have been this show plus one big sony first party game dropping in holiday season. Like GOT 2 or something.

Just my opinion

This was a State of Play. Not a once in a year showcase. I'd expect "enthusiasts" to actually know the difference and judge it accordingly, but even then, acknowledge that there is no one right opinion for anyone to have "on here".

Last edited:

ByWatterson

Feel sorry? You have your opinion just as I am entitled to mine which was actually the consensus with the majority of people. Don't be so condescending just because I don't agree with your take on the title.

I mean I feel sorry that you didn't get to experience what I did. Your take is totally valid.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This was a State of Play. Not a once in a year showcase. I'd expect "enthusiasts" to actually know the difference and judge it accordingly, but even then, acknowledge that there is no one right opinion for anyone to have "on here".

Thier showcase was terrible last year, they haven't shown anything of substance from their first parties since spider man was announced. It's the start of 2024 and they could have dropped some bangers.

Each to their own I guess.

Topher

Gold Member
Thier showcase was terrible last year, they haven't shown anything of substance from their first parties since spider man was announced. It's the start of 2024 and they could have dropped some bangers.

Each to their own I guess.

Yeah, that showcase was terrible. That doesn't change the fact that State of Play isn't where they "drop bangers". "To each their own" is fine if you know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Few things im into. Solid B.

I thought Rise of the Ronin didn't look impressive at all, Stellar Blade looks kinda janky but sstill interested.

demigod

Ok, I can kind of understand the B grades if you only own a playstation. So, I guess it's that crowd that's rating it so highly.

The curse of owning a PC strikes again I guess.

It's just different tastes I guess. Like giving this an A Is wild to me.

Not seeing an A or B at all, but I guess if you only own a playstation you could see it as a B, but even then I think it's a push.
Bro out here telling folks their A vote shouldn’t be more than a B, fuck outta here.

RCU005

My likings are Stellar Blade and Rise of Ronin. The majority of the rest don't even have a release date.

DS2 trailer is way too long for my liking, and Kojima's new game is gonna "Blur the boundary between games and movies." WTF is that, didn't he already got the money from Microsoft for the cloud game to chase his film dream?

TBH, I expect we will be watching a movie with real actors and play actual real actors. It's like those FMV games again, but you actually move the real actor.

Kojima described it as being a movie but also a game. So either this is a game with 250 hours of cutscenes, or there's something fishy like what I described above.

Last edited:

yurinka

Are any of these games technically first party?
Depends what version of first party you mean. The retarded one or the correct one
First party means published by the platform holder.

You can identify the first party ones because they have a PlayStation Studios or Bungie logo, or "Sony Interactive Entertainent presents" text at the start of the video.

Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Until Dawn, Death Stranding 2 and the new Kojima IP (codenamed Physint) are first party. The other games of the show will be published by companies not owned by the platform holder, so they are 3rd party.

Last edited:
I was really sceptical and no hype for it.
I give it A.

Judas just blew my pants and Kojima's next "Metal Gear" and DS2 are too cool.

Top Bottom