• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SaGa 2015 (working title) announced for PS Vita

Celine

Good news although the teaser is kind of shitty (don't show much).

Wondering if it is going to be more akin to Romancing or Unlimited.

orioto

Good Art™
Isn't there something fishy about eh graphics being exactly like bravely default, in term of tech ? Looks like a 3ds port lol.

But a new rpg on console by SE is a reason to party in itself! And it looks cute.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Isn't there something fishy about eh graphics being exactly like bravely default, in term of tech ? Looks like a 3ds port lol.

But a new rpg on console by SE is a reason to party in itself! And it looks cute.

I don't see the gameplay graphics...?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This was the game they were teasing that wasn't a remake? And its for Vita? Man....

DMiz

Is Kawazu piloting it?

I really hope he is. As much as people hate Unlimited SaGa, I actually loved it (full-knowing what it was). Along with Matsuno, he's one of the few people these days that seem interested in throwing around some crazy mechanics to produce something really interesting.

... Actually, throw Itou in there and it's a done deal.

crinale

Is Kawazu piloting it?

I really hope he is. As much as people hate Unlimited SaGa, I actually loved it (full-knowing what it was). Along with Matsuno, he's one of the few people these days that seem interested in throwing around some crazy mechanics to produce something really interesting.

... Actually, throw Itou in there and it's a done deal.

Well it did say Kawazu's new project "SAGA 2015 (tentative title)" is headed for Vita.

I think ppl are confused that they have FF Legacy (3DS game) and Saga 2015 (Vita game) mixed up.

Yasumi

Banned

Not sure what trailer you watched, but they haven't shown any gameplay for it yet.

Celine

Just looked up sales of past SaGa games over here...
Only a few SaGa games were released outside Japan.

However in Japan SaGa was many years ago the best selling Square series after Final Fantasy.
As far as December 2006 SquareEnix series LTD in Japan were (in parenthesis the number of releases):

Dragon Quest: 41M (20)
Final Fantasy: 40M (28)
SaGa: 9M (10)
Mana: 4.6M (7)
Chrono: 3.3M (2)
Chocobo: 3.1M (7)
Kingdom Hearts: 3.1M (3)
Front Mission: 2.4M (?)
Star Ocean: 1.8M (4)
Parasite Eve: 1.5M (?)
Valkyre Profile: 1.3M (2)

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Is this the teased RPG console game? Or that's the one from Toriyama? Anyway I doubt they'll take it here so what a waste...

However in Japan SaGa was many years ago the best selling Square series after Final Fantasy.
As far as December 2006 SquareEnix series LTD in Japan were (in parenthesis the number of releases):

Valkyre Profile: 1.3 (2)

SaGa is also one of the longest SQEX IPs, and it also got plenty of entries, in particular with respect to Chrono, Valkyrie Profile and Star Ocean.

Valkyre Profile: 1.3 (2)

If Wikipedia's data is for the west and not worldwide, then it sells okay. But it's been on a big decline though.

I really wouldn't expect them to bring it over...

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
The western hemisphere basically abandoned the vita, so I don't see this being localised.

I will eagerly await the localised asian versions.

It's Legend of Legacy, not FF Legacy. It's in development by Furyu and unrelated to Square Enix.

It's nice to have two Saga game next year lol.
Legend of LEGACY actually have a chance for English localization, I think. Let's see if Sony is willing to pull a Nintendo this time.

Nice, I'm replaying SaGa Frontier right now (and about to finally see what I can do about SaGa 2 DS).

This would actually be a reason for me to keep my Vita, but Square-Enix is trash-tier company and this will never see an English release.

levitan

Thank you SE.

This makes me happy. I still have the original SFC cartridges of Romancing SaGa 1-3 and Saga Frontier 2. IIRC my first Gameboy RPG was either SaGa or Oni.

Dugna

I actually shut off that stream when I saw a game announced for "PC Browser" but didn't even think there would be one for a console...sweet, just hope it isn't F2P stuff.

Takao

Banned
Square Enix has been so Vita phone games recently that I didn't expect this.

I don't expect a western release.

Mandoric

Banned

"A few" isn't quite accurate, since the US has gotten 7/10 including every post-1995 release. When we wonder whether SaGa for Vita will be localized, the reason should probably be the Vita part.

Celine

If Wikipedia's data is for the west and not worldwide, then it sells okay. But it's been on a big decline though.
Yeah, most of the IPs in that list are "nineties IPs" which died shortly after the new millennium began (Legend, Romancing and Frontier were followed by the disappointing Unlimited).
SaGa is probably the series with the biggest core fanbase in Japan so it's relatively more lively than the other ones.

Including sales outside Japan, the total go up to 9.6M for SaGa series (a whooping 0.6M increase).

"A few" isn't quite accurate, since the US has gotten 7/10 including every post-1995 release. When we wonder whether SaGa for Vita will be localized, the reason should probably be the Vita part.
You are right, probably being in Europe don't help my memory :)

The western hemisphere basically abandoned the vita, so I don't see this being localised.

I will eagerly await the localised asian versions.
IMO it's all in Sony hands the possibility of the game localization.

Mandoric

Banned
Yeah, most of the IPs in that list are "nineties IPs" which died shortly after the new millennium began (Legend, Romancing and Frontier were followed by the disappointing Unlimited).
SaGa is probably the series with the biggest core fanbase in Japan so it's relatively more lively than the other ones.

Including sales outside Japan, the total go up to 9.6M for SaGa series (a whooping 0.6M increase).

You are right, probably being in Europe don't help my memory :)

IMO it's all in Sony hands the possibility of the game localization.

That would do it!

I wonder how many of that .6m was in the GB releases, and whether the numbers for those include the Sunsoft-sublicenced budget reprints that shipped around Pokemon's release.

Stark

Banned
Very happy & surprised it's on Vita! I would have preferred home consoles, but I'll definitely take it over any mobile/browser SaGa. Maybe next time, but still quite excited.

I think it has a decent chance of coming over.

Ourobolus

Banned
Awesome! Now to just hope it doesn't suck. More Romancing/Frontier, less Unlimited/Emperor's, please.

Also praying for localization of the DS versions of SaGa 2 and 3, and then some for the SNES games. I can dream.

Top Bottom