• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benten Rock You 01

BjAkg4n.jpg

A super shy girl is discovered by the goddess Benten to have the ability to see sound take form as it is played. She is then given an electric guitar and tasked to help her finish an unfinished song.

The art is pretty damn impressive. Like seriously:

Definitely seems like a pretty good coming of age story for the super shy girl as well and I'm looking forward to seeing how more of the music gets drawn for this series.

Hastati

Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari 6.5

I don't think I ever realized the guy had some humor and assertive to him. notyoureveryharemprotagonist

I'm wondering how long this series is going to last? It's been so front-loaded, feels like a short series. I love the author though, I keep hoping he starts another long-running series.

Zweizer

Banned
I'm wondering how long this series is going to last? It's been so front-loaded, feels like a short series. I love the author though, I keep hoping he starts another long-running series.

I'd say Katsute Kami Datta Kemono-tachi e has better potential for that. It has little in the way of romance though.

Probably depends on how quickly the mangaka burns through all the extra ring wives.

I really do like the main couple romance though which makes it silly this is going to be a harem.

Benten Rock You 01

A super shy girl is discovered by the goddess Benten to have the ability to see sound take form as it is played. She is then given an electric guitar and tasked to help her finish an unfinished song.

The art is pretty damn impressive. Like seriously:

Definitely seems like a pretty good coming of age story for the super shy girl as well and I'm looking forward to seeing how more of the music gets drawn for this series.

The artwork reminds me of O/A, which turns out to actually be written by the same person. Then I found out that O/A ended recently, and now I'm sad.

Lain

Migawari Hakushaku no Bouken volume 1-2

As gender-bender stories go, this feels pretty nice despite some cliche and inconsistencies. Mireille is supposed to be a bit of a boyish girl personality-wise, and it shows especially when she's angry or fed up with something, though her girl side comes to the front when she gets embarrassed or a certain individual is involved.
Her brother appeared like a bit of an absent-minded fool in the first volume, where we only learn about him and his traits through second-hand stories. It's in the second volume that we get to learn just how much of a dick he can actually be. At least he has affection for his sister, though a lot of that affection also comes from them having the same face.

As I said, the story so far shows some cliche and some little inconsistencies, but the chemistry between the characters, Mireille's personality and the cute art make up for everything and i'm loving it.
Though volume 2 has a weird way to end because I had to go check on the web to make sure the story didn't end there.

Revo

Jack, The American Ghost 44

Go-Eun so good, has heard that he is taken->doesn't continue with the kiss.
And even more mystery around Jack!

Next chapter pls.

2.5 Jigen Kareshi 02

I think what's interesting is that the lead girl is actually afraid of love interests' violent tendencies against otakus, however silly it is. She's actually aware of that and isn't falling blindly in love with him.

Of course, this is shoujo, so he's trying to changeeeeee and she's still going doki doki

Soma

Kono Kanojo wa Fiction desu End

Wow that was bad.

Story really shoulda just ended when dude confessed to the senpai like 12 chapters ago.

Koi to Uso

This has become my newest guilty pleasure.

WHY ARE THESE CHAPTERS SO SHORT

Honto no Kanojo Ch. 11

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn Moe's mom is p buff.

Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki Ch. 26

lol

Ryoute ni Darling 01-02

Our protag has to choose between dependable and slightly possessive childhood friend and a freeloader.

Gosh, this sounds like such a hard choice.

I expect the manga to go with the wrong choice though. >:[

Revo

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro END and Overall thoughts

About the end I was expecting, was no other way this series would end.

---

A manga super carried by 1 character, Neuro. While Yako was certainly great and there was a good cast of supporting characters to go along with them, Neuro was the main draw and my main enjoyment of the series. A good sadist with a series that works around them will always get my enjoyment (Hiruma was my favorite character of Eyeshield 21 and a major reason why I rank it so highly).

While I didn't like that the latter part of the series became battely, it didn't really lose much charm. Seeing the relationship between Neuro and Yako progress was a delight in it's own right, and as long as Neuro was involved it could really never be all that bad.

I was always wondering how much like Defense Devil this since I started reading this. From the mystery type start to the battle end, a superficial look at both of them make them out to be quite similar. However, this couldn't be farther from the truth because Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro is actually good and doesn't waste it's characters and opportunities.

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro is a good series through and through and fully entertained me through every twist and turn it went through.

rrvv

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro END and Overall thoughts

About the end I was expecting, was no other way this series would end.

---

A manga super carried by 1 character, Neuro. While Yako was certainly great and there was a good cast of supporting characters to go along with them, Neuro was the main draw and my main enjoyment of the series. A good sadist with a series that works around them will always get my enjoyment (Hiruma was my favorite character of Eyeshield 21 and a major reason why I rank it so highly).

While I didn't like that the latter part of the series became battely, it didn't really lose much charm. Seeing the relationship between Neuro and Yako progress was a delight in it's own right, and as long as Neuro was involved it could really never be all that bad.

I was always wondering how much like Defense Devil this since I started reading this. From the mystery type start to the battle end, a superficial look at both of them make them out to be quite similar. However, this couldn't be farther from the truth because Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro is actually good and doesn't waste it's characters and opportunities.

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro is a good series through and through and fully entertained me through every twist and turn it went through.

yep indeed. one of my favorite series

the final fight is soo good

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Velvet Kiss 1-15

Kind of an interesting dynamic going on here. The disparity between the rich and working class is done well. I'm excited to see how the relationships continue to develop. Also, lots of gratuitous sex and orgy scenes...
Why so much fluid -_-

Hastati

Pokémon - Dating a Team Magma Grunt (Doujinshi) 3-4+extra

No harem pls!

Hasn't pokemon always been about harems?

Anyway, Jitsu wa Watashi wa 8

This series is adorable. Reminds me a bit of Again!! mixed with School Rumble and like, Nichijou or something. So far it's been pretty light fair, but I already love the characters and the very kind of ... Osaka atmosphere to the whole thing. Feels like I'm there while I'm reading, maybe it's just me. I started reading it because it's shown up here pretty frequently, anyone have any recommendations for similar series? This is just right up my alley 120%.

Also, happy new years everyone!!! Guess it's a bit early in some places, just about to hit 2015 here in JP :)

Nightbird

Assassination Classroom 113

Remember last Week, when i said that Woman is truly crazy after reading the Raws?

Yeah, thats why. I truly hates Parents who try to control their Parents Lifes.

Revo

Ore to Akuma no Blues 8-20

Oh god
Toby
Please save Toby Clyde.

Ore to Akuma no Blues 22

God damn idiot doing that in a moving car

Ore to Akuma no Blues 25

These dogs are god damn scary looking

Usobuko

Banned
Some mild spoilers in this video:

Alice in Borderland in an episode of NHK "Imagine-Nation"

It's a been there, done that premise. What I like was the intricate system in place, individual game designs and rather strong characterizations of side characters. The card suits explained in this video are based on just one particular game shown in the manga. Every game from the same suit is different and the only similarity is they revolve around these 4 themes.

Physical, Balance, Psychological and Intelligence.

Zweizer

Banned
I started reading it because it's shown up here pretty frequently, anyone have any recommendations for similar series? This is just right up my alley 120%.

Also, happy new years everyone!!! Guess it's a bit early in some places, just about to hit 2015 here in JP :)

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is a good romance manga that has plenty of quirky characters, though it doesn't have much in the way of harem/love triangle hijinks or supernatural elements.

The Voynich Hotel is far more surreal with a bigger focus on black humor and philosophy. It's not anything like the light-hearted Jitsu wa Watashi wa, but if you crave for something different and thought-provoking, it should be right up your alley.

Hinamatsuri has little to no romance, but it has great humor with a colorful cast.

Renai Boukun is a more insane romance series, but the characters are less developed and most of them are not as likable.

Also, Happy New Year!

Revo

Ore to Akuma no Blues 28

Jeeze, it just had to end somewhere in the middle/mid end of the arc. Every chapter so heated and intense.

I honestly never expected to read a manga about this type of topic and I sure as hell am glad I did.

Can't wait for more.

Hastati

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is a good romance manga that has plenty of quirky characters, though it doesn't have much in the way of harem/love triangle hijinks or supernatural elements.

The Voynich Hotel is far more surreal with a bigger focus on black humor and philosophy. It's not anything like the light-hearted Jitsu wa Watashi wa, but if you crave for something different and thought-provoking, it should be right up your alley.

Hinamatsuri has little to no romance, but it has great humor with a colorful cast.

Renai Boukun is a more insane romance series, but the characters are less developed and most of them are not as likable.

Also, Happy New Year!

Thanks for the suggestions!!! I remember reading a bit of Voynich, I think I dropped it because I sensed incredibly dark plot progression? Maybe I was wrong? Saw the first anime episode of Nozaki-kun and maybe I saw it at the wrong time or something, it didn't grab me, but I'll definitely give the manga a shot! Haven't read the others, so I'll check them out too. Thanks a lot, and happy 2015!!

Zweizer

Banned
Thanks for the suggestions!!! I remember reading a bit of Voynich, I think I dropped it because I sensed incredibly dark plot progression? Maybe I was wrong? Saw the first anime episode of Nozaki-kun and maybe I saw it at the wrong time or something, it didn't grab me, but I'll definitely give the manga a shot! Haven't read the others, so I'll check them out too. Thanks a lot, and happy 2015!!

The Voynich Hotel doesn't get "much" darker, but yeah, if you can't stand characters dying and tearful resolutions, it's probably not recommended to read on.

I heard the anime of Nozaki-kun botches the overall pacing, so try the manga and see if it suits your tastes better.

Quixzlizx

Anyway, Jitsu wa Watashi wa 8

This series is adorable. Reminds me a bit of Again!! mixed with School Rumble and like, Nichijou or something. So far it's been pretty light fair, but I already love the characters and the very kind of ... Osaka atmosphere to the whole thing. Feels like I'm there while I'm reading, maybe it's just me. I started reading it because it's shown up here pretty frequently, anyone have any recommendations for similar series? This is just right up my alley 120%.

Check out the banner in the OP. Bonnouji! It's not a harem-like, but it's a romance/slice-of-life with oddball, likable characters.

Also, Happy New Year!

They aren't as likable in a "MAI WAIFU~" sense as Jitsu wa, but I think they are good characters for what they are meant to be in the story.

dani_dc

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 57

I feel dirty for saying this, but principal had the best sexy poses, unfortunately her body devoids her of actual sexiness. If Kuromine had different...er... Let's call it 'Preferences" the principal would had probably won it.

Check out the banner in the OP.
Yeah, the banner is always a good place to check for suggestions.

Revo

Owari no Seraph 1-3

So far very typical. No real surprises but I was glad to find out the vampires appear to be actual vampires.

4-6

More typicalness, but I guess I'm not complaining.

Zweizer

Banned
Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni! ch19

The hardships of a closet otaku~

Pokémon - Dating a Team Magma Grunt ch3

Well that was pretty clever.

Pokémon - Dating a Team Magma Grunt ch4

Yo that's cheating.

Pokémon - Dating a Team Magma Grunt ch.Extra

That totally suits her.

Also, dat dakimakura.

They aren't as likable in a "MAI WAIFU~" sense as Jitsu wa, but I think they are good characters for what they are meant to be in the story.

Yeah, you're right. They are great at making the series feel lively.

Pokémon - Dating a Team Magma Grunt 3-4 (+Extra)

RIP ice creams.

Man, all caught up already. The MC's pretty intense when defending the honor of his waifu. Having the Team Aqua grunt as a reoccurring rival might be amusing, but nothing can interfere with the purity of the lead pairing.

Revo

Owari no Seraph 7-9

I would have hoped that it would have taken longer than a chapter or two before we started swinging the romance stick around.

360pages

Pokémon - Dating a Team Magma Grunt 3-4 (+Extra)

RIP ice creams.

Man, all caught up already. The MC's pretty intense when defending the honor of his waifu. Having the Team Aqua grunt as a reoccurring rival might be amusing, but nothing can interfere with the purity of the lead pairing.

I don't know why I love the series so much. Also, Latios putting in some work.

Gokukoku no Brynhildr 128

soTfDha.png

Says the one with the stench of a slut.

Reflection and introspection. Hatsuna deserves credit for the selflessness of her plan, but it'd be pretty terrible if she popped herself after getting flu or something. Meanwhile, crazy scientist lady manhandles Valkyria EX like a bossette.

Revo

Owari no Seraph 10-20

Everything seems incredibly too easy all the time.

I guess I don't hate this series. But I don't really like it either. It dabbles with little bits of everything and none of it is enough to satisfy what I want from a series that has that currently.

Nightbird

Pokémon - Dating a Team Magma Grunt 1-4+Extra

I didn't excepted such a cute little Story from a Fanwork, but i'm really enjoying it!
I hope we'll get more of that.

360pages

Due to how the Mother games involve the player, I doubt a manga adaptation would manage do it justice.

Thinking about it you're right. IT was a proper deconstruction of an RPG genre. Instead of poking fun at RPGs it decided to highlight why we loved them. The story for the game was in the end a Story for a game. Which isn't a bad thing, it played with our expectations on how things are supposed to work out.

Plus the ending of Mother 2/Earthbound probably wouldn't be nearly as potent if it was in any other form.

dani_dc

Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni! 19

BcjONDF.png

Akane couldn't resist the Precure figure, she's becoming truly more and more Otaku.

The "proper lady talk" was very amusing.
Most importantly, Shinomiya Toki is team Yuri.

Overall Thoughts means I finished it

Ah, I wasn't sure since I wouldn't quite apply "bromance" to this one series considering the ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom