• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tantei Kageki Milky Holmes TD - 01

i8AUpob.jpg
Fpj1edi.jpg

Milky Holmes has been infected with the idol disease. But hell if that's what it takes to make this show amusing to me again I'll take it because this is the best the show has been since the first season. Though the episode didn't focus on the misfit detectives until near the end it was still great none the less and Kokoro-chan is back in her full IQ inflating glory. Great and amusing episode, glad to have Milky Holmes back.

John Blade

You're most of the way through the understandings that a lot of us who watched these shows as they aired. I mean, I loved FMP, the first season, and thought it was an interesting franchise... until I read what happens in the story in TSR and, even worse, after it. So yeah, only one step left: Look up the original LNs (or the manga adaptation) and realize that everything wrong with TSR, and as you say plenty is wrong with it, is wrong because the source material went from that same transition towards humor-free grimdark violence and tragedy. It's really, really sad that the author abandoned a good series in favor of such stupid tragic idiocy? I mean, I really loved the first season of the anime, and Fumoffu was pretty great too... and then it was all thrown away in favor of a bad action/drama series loaded with stupid melodrama and an absurdly powerful secret society for enemies? Ugh. This is why I'm glad there isn't another season of the anime; TSR is bad enough, but it gets MUCH worse afterwards.

Do you want me to write up what happens afterwards? I can. I'll say this now though: There is a chapter in the manga shortly after the events of the TSR OVA end that ends with 'after this there will be no more humor'. It's not kidding. When reading that I thought 'TSR is pretty serious and way too dark as it is, how much worse could it get?' ... but it does, almost immediately. It's so sad that such a great series as FMP was in its first season was wasted in favor of stupid massively-powerful-conspiracy-army and rescue-the-girl stupidity. I don't know if I can think of any anime(/manga/LN) that started out so well and then went so horribly wrong partway through! FMP might be at the top of that list for me, sadly.

(Oh, Leonard is pretty much the main villain of the rest of the show, if TSR didn't make that clear.)

Do write more of what happened after the show as it look like it get more depressing.

jgminto

Allenby only exists to make the latter point clearer, so I can't ever acknowledge her as Rain's better. Especially since Rain has more to her than just clinging to Domon.

Allenby is rad as fuck, yo. She's a super awesome fighter who can stand her own alongside the Shuffle Alliance. While Rain is great too, she wouldn't last as a character without her relationship with Domon.

/XX/

I don't think that Khara necessarily was given the rights. Anno already had the IP anyway.
The way things were neither of them could sell the original series and movies and that benefited no-onem so at this point I think Khara was able to negotiate a deal since GAINAX probably needed money. It doesn't mean they have indefinitely lost the rights per-se, it could just be a deal for this release where their share royalties.
Seeing this:

©カラー/Project Eva

Makes me think that the exclusion of the GAiNAX mention from the copyright line referring to the original Project Eva is pretty telling as is, something never seen or approved until now by them (http://www.gainax.co.jp/wp/attention/). We will need more examples and further confirmation, but things look like GAiNAX isn't a copyright holder at all any more.

Anyway, such a new digital disc release could actually have been sponsored by the two parts, before the demise; both companies negotiated fluently (rather smoothly, it seems) at the beginning the transfer of permissions for merchandising and related products, by way of Yasuhiro & Noriko Kamimura, link between both studios for copyright management until things got complicated when they left GAiNAX to form Studio Khara's affiliated GroundWorks company (http://gworks.biz/).

Oh weird, I had no idea that Anno owned the IP. I wonder how that works, since I always assumed that people just made stuff on behalf of a studio.
Difficult to know the specifics of projects by committee so in some it could be part of a clause that the creators can retain specific rights over personal work... but this is to talk broadly about the matter because in the case of GAiNAX things have always been a little particular (remember, Mr. Okada's "chaos strategy" and all that jazz):

As Hideaki Anno with Evangelion, will you get back some of the copyrights of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt and Gurren Lagann? Are you still on good terms with Gainax?

Everyone owns the copyright in respect of the script, the directing, etc., ever since the time of Gainax. I would like to continue to maintain a good relationship with the studio Gainax, in order to help each other.

This could be a case only for the GEEKS collective that also figures as copyright holder for P&SwG, but things could be likewise on other productions from the studio, maybe including NGE.

fertygo

Yoru no Yatterman - 01

Isn't this like Team Rocket became Pokemon protagonist?
Allenby is rad as fuck, yo. She's a super awesome fighter who can stand her own alongside the Shuffle Alliance. While Rain is great too, she wouldn't last as a character without her relationship with Domon.
Yet, Rain kick her ass in duel.

Veitsev

Do write more of what happened after the show as it look like it get more depressing.

Read the manga yourself and don't let someone that didn't like it spoil it for you. Its great and A Black Falcon couldn't be more wrong. Stupid tragic idiocy? Give me a break. There is plenty of humor still and the story is by no means tragic. Yeah its more serious than Fumoffu but thats because the plot actually takes off and the setting changes from hijinks at high school to something much more interesting.

Theonik

Man, how fucked is Gainax if they need to give away their biggest thing?
This isn't necessarily them giving it away though, they are making money out of this probably, which is better than them having it without being able to do anything with it.

Seeing this:

©カラー/Project Eva

Makes me think that the exclusion of the GAiNAX mention from the copyright line referring to the original Project Eva is pretty telling as is, something never seen or approved until now by them (http://www.gainax.co.jp/wp/attention/). We will need more examples and further confirmation, but things look like GAiNAX isn't a copyright holder at all any more.

Anyway, such a new digital disc release could actually have been sponsored by the two parts, before the demise; both companies negotiated fluently (rather smoothly, it seems) at the beginning the transfer of permissions for merchandising and related products, by way of Yasuhiro & Noriko Kamimura, link between both studios for copyright management until things got complicated when they left GAiNAX to form Studio Khara's affiliated GroundWorks company (http://gworks.biz/).

Difficult to know the specifics of projects by committee so in some it could be part of a clause that the creators can retain specific rights over personal work... but this is to talk broadly about the matter because in the case of GAiNAX things have always been a little particular (remember, Mr. Okada's "chaos strategy" and all that jazz):
So yes, as you point out it is a very complicated situation which is a large reason why we hadn't gotten a release before that, it is good that they appear to be consolidating the situation though I think GAINAX's worsening financial condition is a big factor in pushing them to negociate over this.

I hadn't really been on top of this, so your post is pretty informative and helpful. Thank you for writing this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This could be a case only for the GEEKS collective that also figures as copyright holder for P&SwG, but things could be likewise on other productions from the studio, maybe including NGE.
Wait, when he says "Everyone", does he mean everyone in the committee has a stake in the IP? I guess that makes sense for original IP... although I just assumed that people who worked at anime studios made stuff for their companies and that they were just employees. Maybe I'm just thinking too "American" in that respect. Like, David Simon may have created The Wire, but HBO owns it.

Theonik

Wait, when he says "Everyone", does he mean everyone in the committee has a stake in the IP? I guess that makes sense for original IP... although I just assumed that people who worked at anime studios made stuff for their companies and that they were just employees. Maybe I'm just thinking too "American" in that respect. Like, David Simon may have created The Wire, but HBO owns it.
It all depends. The concept is not foreign in the US either. Authors frequently retain rights to their work. It's just studios that maintain this horrible stance towards creators.
With that being said, GAINAX is pretty special in this regard too.

Jintor

Log Horizon s2 14

I have to applaud the series for near-effortlessly switching focus to a near completely non-established set of characters using a framing device from characters who have barely been introduced before and still managing not only to have a pretty well-told if basic story in that timeframe, but to manage to drop major revelations about the world at the same time.

It was really fun and I'm sad the entire second season half isn't about Kanamin like I thought it was

I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying 08

My heart

oJc7g3E.png

Digimon Series Review - Adventure, Zero Two, Tamers, Frontier, Savers, Xros Wars

Oh man, this was insane. Thanks for putting in the time to break this down like this, I stopped watching Digimon post season 4 so everything after that was completely lost on me. Of what I saw though Tamers (and the original Digimon movie now that I think about it) was by far the highlight of my Digimon experience as well.

Spice and Wolf Season 1 - 13 END

Wow, that finale.

I'm a bit annoyed that everything seems to turn into a betrayalthon but I guess it's difficult to conjure up nonmerchant villains out of thin air. It keeps the plot moving and it's done well enough.

Although the show does a good job of making you care about the characters and their fates. I do sincerely hope season 2 is more about Holo instead of Lawerence getting in trouble nonstop and Holo bailing him out. I'm interested to see exactly what's up with her past and her reasons for going to the north.

Overall, this is actually turning into one of my favorite animes of all time. What chapter does the LN pick up on from where the show stopped?

Also, something something mofu.
Season 1 is Vol 1 &2 . Season 2 is Vol 3 & 5.
You need to read Vol 4 and then read VOL 6 to get the rest.

You had my curiosity, but now you have my attention
watch the episode.it's good.

cajunator

Banned
Wait, did you see the first season of idolmaster?

It sounds like you haven't seen the first season of idolmaster.

You should watch the first season of idolmaster!

It is good, my friend!!

The hype is real

Listen to this fellow.

Weird that CR does not have non asian rights for S3 of the Doggies. They still have S1-2.

I still dont understand why CR can stream this but nobody has the disc rights or anything.

It gets much more depressing, and then backs off on that in favor of somewhat generic action, essentially.

Anyway, alright. After the end of TSR, in the LN or its manga adaptation, here are some of the things that happen. Warning: lots and lots of major spoilers, but the series ended a few years ago now, so it's not new. Still, I'll spoil many of the major plot points. Note that this mostly comes from the manga version. As far as I know it's pretty faithful to the original LNs.

-The evil secret society, which Leonard Testarossa is one of the major leaders of, fully reveals itself soon after the end of TSR's OVA followup. They are actually a Super Ultra Powerful (tm) military force, and easily crush their opposition; the good organization Tessa and co. belonged to is instantly wiped out (except for Tessa and her sub, who escape) because you know, secret armies of mercenaries are always so much more powerful than nations' actual armies, right? I've always greatly disliked the stupid "secret army which is stronger than the normal armies of the nations of the world" idiocy, and that's sort of the plot of the rest of the show, Sousuke and Tessa's people having to save the world all on their own as the rest of their organization is gone and the normal countries are no use, of course... sort of like the useless adults in your average "kids have to save the world" series, I guess. :p

-Naturally, the school-life side of the show vanishes with the attack and does not return. The characters from school are very rarely seen from this point on.

-Chidori is kidnapped during the assault, as Sousuke fails to protect her. She stays kidnapped for a long, LONG time. Like, pretty much until the very end of the series long, after they are separated. The main plot turns to Sousuke's efforts to rescue her all on his own -- he is separated from any help. I hate "rescue the kidnapped girl" plots! It's such an awful crutch of a trope... it's sexist and stupid. They made a great pair, too. Why did the author think that separating them long-term was a good idea? It wasn't! And her appearances go down for sure as a result, too.

-There's a short arc where Sousuke goes to Vietnam (or is it Thailand? I forget) and meets a few people there, most importantly a girl. He learns that she is also a Whispered, then she is murdered in front of his eyes as a standard "fridge the girl in order to get the MC angry" terrible plot device. Sousuke then sets off on a solo quest to start saving the day, any thoughts of doing otherwise dashed by the jerk villains. And yes, the girl stays dead, unlike the other "dead" major-ish good character in this series.

-Tessa and her sub are the only survivors of the good organization. She tries to save the day with only her crew and noone else, but after some struggles and efforts to fight back against Leonard's super-powerful group, is eventually betrayed by a high-up traitor, none other than Kalinin, and ends up losing the sub, though a good amount of the crew survives to continue fighting. She does survive though, and they do what they can to stop the badguys. Tessa gets tougher; this is one of the only things I liked post-TSR, Tessa's cool (mostly). Tessa's goodbye to her submarine that she designed is kind of sad, too.

-Leonard wants to start a nuclear war because evil supervillain stuff ('make a new world', etc.). Kurz seems to be killed in one of the battles. Meanwhile, Leonard has gotten an alternate personality, Sophia, to sort of take over Chidori, who is working to help his cause. The Whispered thing is from a woman called Sophia who died 18 years ago in an experiment on Leonard's island base. This set off some weird time loop thing, I think, which allowed for the creation of all the tech Whispered has led to. Kaname refuses Sophia's entreaties to destroy the world and bring it back as a new world, since apparently she could do that, and instead sticks with the world as it is.

-Sousuke goes to stop him, finally re-united with his mech again. Mao goes to stop the missile launches (which are launching from somewhere far from the other battle), and does (after some fighting), but one missile gets away. The one missile is aimed at the island where Sousuke, Tessa, Leonard, etc. are... but no civilians.

-Sousuke defeats Leonard, but is having trouble shooting him. In the final confrontation in the series Kalinin betrays Leonard too and shoots him (before Leonard can hit a button that would have probably blown up the base). Then Sousuke finally rescues Chidori (she's back to her normal self), but they are immediately separated. Tessa and her troops leave after hearing about the nuke, but she takes Leonard's body with her. Kalinin tells Sousuke that he is his father (it's true). He goads Sousuke into a fight. Sousuke can't kill Kalinin because he's his father, but Kalinin dies of other injuries anyway. Before dying, Kalinin tells Sousuke he's a good person and should live on.

-Kalinin also says that he turned to Leonard's side because he wanted to 'bring Sousuke and myself back to where Irina and my child [Sousuke as a kid] were'. Chidori kind of dashed that dream, but I'm unclear on how it'd have worked anyway. First nuclear war, then Chidori does something with Whispered powers, then... a new world where things are better? Why is the nuclear war step needed? (Real answer: To have a threat the heroes need to stop.) This probably is explained if I read the series more carefully, but it's probably not worth the effort... it's not like this is a great story.

-In the end, Al activates the Lambda Driver on his own to save Sousuke from the nuke blast. Leonard and the other villains are killed and/or defeated, and it is revealed that Kurz is actually alive, so Sousuke, Kaname, Tessa, Kurz, and Mao all manage to survive the series, unlike lots of minor characters of course. Obviously Kaname and Sousuke end up together, to try to return to regular life in Japan. They kiss, the end.

-Oh, apparently with no evil group there's no need for AI mechs or something after they've won... because nations can't just build them themselves? I don't get it. There may be some bad explanation for this (connected to the whole Whispered thing), but I kind of doubt it makes sense. Or maybe it's just the goodguy group that's not needed, and not the mecha thing in general? Maybe the novels explain this better, the manga sure doesn't. 'Whispered is sort of gone now, but Sophia's still in Kaname's head but not evil now' or something like that.

The ending's not too bad, it's most of the stuff before it I dislike. It's also kind of weird to have such an upbeat ending after so much violence and tragedy... Overall the series after TSR isn't all terrible, it's just that TSR and beyond aren't at ALL what I wanted from the franchise based on S1 and Fumoffu. Based on season 1, I wanted more of that! S1 was great. But instead of continuing the quite good action/comedy series it was, it instead becomes an action/suspense series with a side of drama. The average action series it became isn't what FMP should have been. Too bad.

phaze

Attack on Titan 23

I fucking knew it. That was so fucking obvious, goddamn.

Looking back, I was severely obtuse to not see that coming but even when she started laughing, I still didn't manage to connect the dots. Her being with Eren during their training years made me completely oblivious to the other hints.

Yoru no Yatterman - 01

Isn't this like Team Rocket became Pokemon protagonist?

Yup.

Maria the Virgin Witch 01

I'm watching this for the historic setting

but it's still hard. Neither the premise or jokes or characters are doing it for me. Will watch one or two more episodes but I don't see myself warming up to it.

Yoru no Yatterman 01

This was fairly decent and not in an ironic or nostalgia tinted glasses kind of way. Though this being the set up episode, the real meat of the show will start in the next one. The evil Yattermen were hilarious.

Flowers of Evil 03-04

No your feelings are not pure, you goddamned creep. You pretty much deserve every ounce of punishment Nakamura is meting out. And your "I read Baudelauire" superiority complex is infuriating. Gosh I want to punch him. Really, when it's just Kasuga and his inner monologues this show feels like a rapist origin story.

Shengar

oJc7g3E.png

Digimon Series Review - Adventure, Zero Two, Tamers, Frontier, Savers, Xros Wars

That's all excellent write up, though I disagree on some aesthetic point (I prefer more abstract monsters in general to be honest). Which remind me to watch Digimon Tamers completely and to write my own impression and review on LoGH.

Yoru no Yatterman 1
This was enjoyable, even for a complete newcomer to the franchise like myself. The tone of most of the episode wasn't what I was expecting, but it seems like the end of the episode is more representative of what it will probably be going forth.

Shirobako 3-4
Ahhh... So good.More.Ah...

episode 3 kicks off with them(the studio) trying to replace a part for their episode 4 of Exodus. Of course shit goes bat shit insane and so does our protagonist. They of course, finished it on time. Nice emotional scene there.

Episode 4 is just girls day out I guess. Someone post that drunk scene thou, best.

Beefeater

Banned
Well, im not sure what reincarnation or the void means - there just isn't enough info. But I think i can say that the wife
wasn't lying. She, to me, was telling the truth and the husband was drowned in ideas of a cheating wife. She eventually got tired and disgusted with the man he truly was and lied to really drive a stake into his heart. The credits showing that the girl the wife was speaking about was real kinda was like the director backing up the wife's story.[/SPOILER
The flashbacks are real. Machiko
lied not about cheating, but about being a gold digger.
I think she lied to take on the villain role, so that he wouldn't have to suffer as much about his own guilt and have someone else to take his anger out on. That's why she went to the void (nirvana in Buddhism), and Takashi reincarnated (continuation of suffering). Reincarnation in Buddhism is not a punishment, but when you've reached enlightenment you don't need to reincarnate anymore.

How's the weather in there?
Well hey, I'm obviously not talking about you guys. Just everyone else ;-)

Unless you think Machiko was an evil bitch and you're happy she went to hell (which she didn't).
:->
Death Parade 1

Just like with Death Billiards, it's a concept I both like and am a bit iffy on. As tense as it is, sometimes drawing the worst out in people in their moment of weakness and then portraying them as monsters doesn't always sit right with me. It's why I found Jigoku Shoujo (which this series gives me MASSIVE vibes of) both fascinating and somewhat difficult to watch.

That being said, there's a pretty good chance I'll stick with it to the end.

They weren't really depicted as monsters though. And one of them redeemed themselves and was rewarded with nirvana.

P.S. Did anyone else notice this is a prequel to Death Billiards?

They weren't really depicted as monsters though. And one of them redeemed themselves and was rewarded with nirvana.

And I think this is the key point that I take the most issue with. If one's actions during the course of the game don't seem to have an impact on the inevitable outcome then what's the point of playing the game to begin with?
The dude's actions, attempting to hit the stomach area where he thought an unborn child existed, trying to take his wife's last dart in order to "win" a game he thought was life or death, and inevitably attempting to murder her after getting confirmation of the affair are not actions that were justified by the fact that they happened to be motivated by events that actually took place. Doubly so when you account for half of his dick moves happening before he ever had real confirmation that his fears were grounded in reality. Why are the actions of the game exempt from scrutiny? And why was the attempted murderer "rewarded" with nirvana? It's absurd.
Neat symbolism aside, I found the conclusion to be deeply unsatisfying for the listed reasons.

Oreca Battle & DraColle 40
B7KCh-_CAAIN8-3.jpg

Fantastic Oreca Battle episode. With Orega Fire getting on fire and Bahn and Rock getting as fired up as Scarlet Dragon, it was incredible. I loved this conclusion.

DraColle was alright, just one of those episodes to transition to another location.

Jean is really good design. love how empowered he feels with the weapon. Makes him feel different than other researcher type characters.

Jarmel

Banned

This I find interesting mainly because I'm wondering how copyright law works there. For the GEEKS stuff, it does seem like the creators share copyright owner status with the studio. However I'm curious how much control Imaishi really has over TTGL stuff.

The other thing that is sort of interesting about all of this is whether Anno might be tempted to make a direct sequel to Eva(yes yes I know the Rebuilds are sequels) if he has full control over the IP now. I'm also curious whether Trigger might want to do a sequel to say P&S or TTGL if they get a big chunk of the royalties.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Out of all the super fan displays DTL has posted, that's probably the most understated. Just a shelf in the corner.

Beefeater

Banned
And I think this is the key point that I take the most issue with. If one's actions during the course of the game don't seem to have an impact on the inevitable outcome then what's the point of playing the game to begin with?
The dude's actions, attempting to hit the stomach area where he thought an unborn child existed, trying to take his wife's last dart in order to "win" a game he thought was life or death, and inevitably attempting to murder her after getting confirmation of the affair are not actions that were justified by the fact that they happened to be motivated by events that actually took place. Doubly so when you account for half of his dick moves happening before he ever had real confirmation that his fears were grounded in reality. Why are the actions of the game exempt from scrutiny? And why was the attempted murderer "rewarded" with nirvana? It's absurd.
Neat symbolism aside, I found the conclusion to be deeply unsatisfying for the listed reasons.

Again, Reincarnation =/= Heaven, Void =/= Hell. Actually, in Buddhism you go to the void (nirvana) after attaining enlightenment.

Joe Molotov

Shirobako 01 - 12

Sugie-san da gawd sogood.gif

This show is great, it has everything: old man moe, fat guy moe, adults-having-a-job moe, incompetent coworker moe, competent coworker moe, drunken moe, depression moe, hedgehog moe, Initial D moe, unpaid overtime moe, deadline moe, and moe-ass moe. A+ 5/5, would watch again.

Jarmel

Banned

The landing of the darts seems to be somewhat unintentional on the part of the players. That's something to be taken much more symbolically rather than anything literal.
I don't really blame him for not fighting fair in a life or death struggle especially with a person he was extremely pissed off with. He pretty much went comatose when he thought it was his fault. It's not like he's some big monster or whatever, in fact he had a much more human response to the whole thing than she did.

Again, Reincarnation =/= Heaven, Void =/= Hell. Actually, in Buddhism you go to the void (nirvana) after attaining enlightenment.

I very much doubt that they're going to be using the terms in a straightforward manner. The anime has seemingly depicted the void as a bad place so it doesn't really jive with the Buddhist interpretation.

LMN

The flashbacks are real. Machiko
lied not about cheating, but about being a gold digger.
I think she lied to take on the villain role, so that he wouldn't have to suffer as much about his own guilt and have someone else to take his anger out on. That's why she went to the void (nirvana in Buddhism), and Takashi reincarnated (continuation of suffering). Reincarnation in Buddhism is not a punishment, but when you've reached enlightenment you don't need to reincarnate anymore.

P.S. Did anyone else notice this is a prequel to Death Billiards?

The thing is I don't think Void = Nirvana, from my interpretation. Reaching Nirvana does not mean you cease to exist, it does not mean nothingness. It means you able to let go of every desire, attain absolute peace, and escape the loop of suffering, a state of happiness. I do not think "Void", a word with such a negative connotation can be used to represent Nirvana.

The idea of emptiness as lack of inherent existence has very little to do with what the Buddha himself said about emptiness. His teachings on emptiness — as reported in the earliest Buddhist texts, the Pali Canon — deal directly with actions and their results, with issues of pleasure and pain. To understand and experience emptiness in line with these teachings requires not philosophical sophistication, but a personal integrity willing to admit the actual motivations behind your actions and the actual benefits and harm they cause
from Wiki on Sunyata

And if you go further into Buddhism, you can not just be rewarded/granted to go Nirvana. It something that you have to achieve by yourself, and by yourself only. Whats more, Machiko's face before the elevator close is not a face of a person who reach enlightenment but rather a face of sad and regret. For me, I feel that nobody win at the end, Where did Machiko go to? I honestly dunno, perhaps they will explain in next episode.

Theonik

I very much doubt that they're going to be using the terms in a straightforward manner. The anime has seemingly depicted the void as a bad place so it doesn't really jive with the Buddhist interpretation.

Plus the whole concept of the show doesn't jive with the Buddhist interpretation either. States are self-inflicted in Buddhism and non-permanent.

CorvoSol

Rain does exist as a character separate from Domon. She has wants, thoughts and feelings independent of him. Allenby's a plot device in yellow gloves.

Btw Corvo, so what have you seen in the Patlabor franchise?

Only the TV show so far.

Excellent write up and summation of what makes the series great. I'll probably end up watching the movies soon and use you watching them as an excuse.

It might be a little while. I'm trying to clean up the list of stuff I'm watching before my internship starts at the end of next month.

Kansoku

Oh man, this was insane. Thanks for putting in the time to break this down like this, I stopped watching Digimon post season 4 so everything after that was completely lost on me. Of what I saw though Tamers (and the original Digimon movie now that I think about it) was by far the highlight of my Digimon experience as well.

That's all excellent write up, though I disagree on some aesthetic point (I prefer more abstract monsters in general to be honest). Which remind me to watch Digimon Tamers completely and to write my own impression and review on LoGH.

That GAF members name is too close to Kazoku, which made me instantly start singing ROBOT KAZOKU

I have no problems with bringing the memories of such a great thing :)

Beefeater

Banned
Sheesh, you guys are overthinking it.
Yes, I realize the irony in that statement.

Machiko accepting the "villain" role was an act of compassion that demonstrated her willingness to set aside past grudges and reduce the suffering of the guy she loved. She was obviously the more enlightened of the two, at least when they left the bar. I stand firm on my interpretation of the "void" and "reincarnation" and their purpose in the story.

Anyway, I love that this show encourages speculation like this. One blogger called it "A Rorschach test for the viewer", and I think it's a perfect description. But while some things are left ambiguous, there's still a lot of concrete clues to go on and a "true story/intent of the author" that can be approached, if not reached completely.

One plot hole for me is the timeframe between the wedding and the honeymoon car crash, though. I wonder if that was unintentional by the writer(s), or if I'm missing another layer to the story. And another is the fact Machida Yuki either [wasn't married] or [hadn't changed her name when marrying].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom