• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 2

I'll tell you what, if nothing else I was never bored while watching this and indeed the veil is becoming ever so slightly uplifted.
That one student is correct, what does The Wall of Severence even do if like half the student body is apparently a bear?

Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 2

It tell what, if nothing else I was never bored while watching this and indeed the veil is becoming ever so slightly uplifted.
That one student is correct, what does The Wall of Severence even do if like half the student body is apparently a bear?

I got a bit of the impression that perhaps
the stronger the (yuri-) love the more likely that character also happens to be a bear, or rather turn into one.

Space Dandy 05

Well it didn't take long to find my new favorite episode. While the previous episodes have been fairly silly with some gag as the main attraction, this episode takes on a more somber approach and takes the time explore the characters of the universe.

4rTFBXq.png
Ditching the two sidekicks QT and Meow, Dandy goes a mission to hunt an alien for his next big bounty. Dandy being the impatient man he is approaches the alien without listening to the full intel gathered by other hunters. It is here when he is taken by surprise that the alien he is hunting is no more than a child.

After a little back and forth between the two, Dandy manages to capture her. She is abrasive and harsh towards Dandy, treating him as another adult who wants to take advantage of her. After a bit of squabbling, Dandy learns her name is Adélie.

Much like any child around her age she displays an intense desire to be taken seriously as an adult and not just some kid. She demonstrates this by insisting taking the train as an adult. However, she is not above taking advantage of her age and uses it as a bargaining tool to force Dandy into an agreement to see her grandfather. Her intelligence to know when to take advantage of each situation makes her all the more endearing.

A Merry Companion is a Wagon in Space, Baby

Usually I dislike montage segments as a substitute for real character development but it works in Dandy's case as we know this story between the two of them is only for this one episode. Not only does this montage do a great job displaying the bond Dandy and Adélie develop but it's also serves as a world builder. The fish in space gives off this wonderful mystique to the universe and there is some influences from the 70s seen in the design of the car and dinner giving the setting some unique flavour.

It is this turning point when Dandy is mistaken for Adélie's father that she begins to open up to him. She has been alone for some time, constantly hunted by other alien hunters and her only companion her stuffed animal. She has needed some type of father figure for sometime and she has found this figure in Dandy.

Dandy continues to play the character of the selfish pervert while in secret he looks for Adélie's family. It is here we really get to see some character development in Dandy. He plays off his cool and collected persona but in reality has a heart and cares about his friends. However when Dandy finally reveals his true intentions he is easily misinterpreted from his previous actions.

When Dandy begins to see her off without mentioning that Adélie's grandfather is waiting to meet them, Adélie understands this as Dandy abandoning her. Feeling used by her only friend she runs away to seek solace from her sorrow. The scene where she hides in an alley to cry was incredibly powerful. It is her that two bounty hunters who had previously failed to capture her make their move. She soon realizes that she needs Dandy and calls out for his aid while she is captured by these bounty hunters. Dandy, transformed into her penguin stuffed animal in their previous encounter tries his hardest to rescue her despite his less than intimidating stature. The effort penguin Dandy goes through to rescue her enforces that Dandy does in fact care about her.

After Adélie meets with her grandfather, Dandy and her part ways ignoring the bounty he could receive for bringing her into the agency. Despite their short time together, Adélie wishes to grow up faster in order to see him again. The relationship developed between the two, while short, was incredibly powerful and done extremely well. If all side characters are done this well I will be very impressed with Dandy.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I got a bit of the impression that perhaps
the stronger the (yuri-) love the more likely that character also happens to be a bear, or rather turn into one.

I get the feeling that there is in actually only one human here or will be by the end.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Absolute Duo Episode 2:

Why did I indulge in another episode of this now that the good shows are getting released? Dropped like the ultra smelly vanilla wafer that it is.

YUriKuma Arashi - 02

Damn Sdburton will have a hard time staying calm during this ep.
Goddamn the twists... THE TWISTS

So many plot twists.

Yuri kuma Arashi is one of those show that you need to see in full in order to pass judgement

Next episode when ?

/XX/

Visite guidée : les dessins du Studio Ghibli avec Juanjo Guarnido (“Blacksad”) - Sortir - Télérama.fr
http://www.telerama.fr/cinema/visit...ibli-avec-juanjo-guarnido-blacksad,121408.php

How much a ticket for having Juanjo Guarnido to personally present you that spectacular 'Dessins du Studio Ghibli' exhibition? I'd definitely trust his opinion much more than that of any other possible guide... 'como la bestia parda de dibujante que es, ¡simplemente magnífico!'

I'm super excited for this. I never had the chance to watch the original Gridman series but I was a big fan of the American show. I even imported the Axepter transformation toy because I always wanted the American version of the toy but never got a chance to buy it. Still remember seeing the box in store and I wanted it so bad. I hope this short is good.
I think I believe you, Mr. Gridman. :-D

Looking forward to a post with your impressions about the animated short, for sure!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It all depends. The concept is not foreign in the US either. Authors frequently retain rights to their work. It's just studios that maintain this horrible stance towards creators.
With that being said, GAINAX is pretty special in this regard too.
I don't think I've heard that happen if someone is working for a studio. Like, Dan Harmon can't make Community without Sony for example. The only case is, like in anime, when a TV show is based on a pre-existing IP... like, say, Bones.

It is my rough understanding that in Japan it's far more likely for the rights to IP's to stay with the original creators. It's different to the US in that regard.
Hrm...

That's not really true. Evangelion is a pretty unique situation.
Admittedly, I don't know anything about Anno outside of his wife's anime thing that came out last year, but was he big enough back then to basically say that Evangelion would be his when he created it?

Absolute Duo - 02

Oh crap one of the new girls introduced is Cross Ange Tusk's sister; Tuskelina
Once again not much interesting happening besides the last scene regarding Bunny teacher. Next one is make it or break it, not that I expect much anyway.

When I decided to watch the Evangelion movies because somebody that I know kept telling me to, another friend spoils me stuff from them.

Fuck this, not even going to bother watching anymore.

This Boy Caught a Merman
Excellent and emotional story. Thought it was good with its story of getting over the loss of someone close, and then eventually the thinking of the loss of losing a friend. The loneliness part of the story was really emotional too, even living with someone can lead to loneliness when both dont talk to each other and see each other so little eventually.

Liked how improved it was over This Boy Can Fight Aliens, and the kiss and closeness was great. Why do all the good BL have to be so short.

I did wish there were also shorts on this one, to make the $19.99 cost for 30minutes of anime on this BD feel a bit more bearable.

Stiens;Gate 5

So Kyouma doesn't take too kindly to people calling Okabe. I guess I'm guilty for doing that too but that's no excuse for yelling at Makise though.

On another note Amane's reaction to seeing Makise makes me wonder what Makise did to get such a cold reaction from Amane.

Yurikuma 2

RIP bestbear

you were petty, vindictive, and got headshotted by the girl you cared about(about who apparently didn't give two shits about you), but I'll still remember you

And I guess it's been covered at length, but geez that escalated quickly. In terms of pacing I felt the episode was OK up until the halfway mark, then... whoa.

ofx360

Banned
Space Dandy 05

Well it didn't take long to find my new favorite episode.

YUP! That was definitely one of my favorite eps of Space Dandy. Though there are like 1-2 more jems in that season.

I think the second season had a couple more jems, for me, than season 1.

duckroll

Admittedly, I don't know anything about Anno outside of his wife's anime thing that came out last year, but was he big enough back then to basically say that Evangelion would be his when he created it?

Anno as an individual does not own the rights to Evangelion. Originally the IP rights for Evangelion were held by Gainax, the studio which made it, of which Anno is an employee. The rights for the TV series were owned by the TV production committee, of which Gainax is a member. The rights for the movies (Death/Rebirth, End of Eva) were owned by the movie production committee, of which Gainax is a member.

When Anno left Gainax to form Khara, that's when it gets interesting. I don't know the specifics of it, but there must have been an agreement with Gainax which allowed him to make the new Evangelion films there, with Khara holding the rights to the new films. Gainax at this point still retained rights to all the previous Eva stuff. Legally, I believe the distinction is that the Gainax stuff was "Neon Genesis Evangelion" and "新世紀エヴァンゲリオン", while Khara's copyrights were for "Rebuild of Evangelion" and "ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版".

In the last year or so, Khara somehow managed to claim all remaining rights which Gainax held on the old stuff as well, so they pretty much control the entire franchise now. The situation isn't normal, and certainly does not stem from Anno owning the rights from the start. Instead it seems more like the result of ongoing backroom negotiations. Maybe Gainax realized that they weren't in a position to make the most out of the IP anymore and sold it off. I dunno.

Stiens;Gate 6

Nothing much to say here. This episode was just a whole lot of nothing happening. The only thing that really happens is that the lab gets a new member. It's just a shame that said member happens to be the least interesting character so far.

/XX/

I think this is more related to how the early-on very amateur structure of the studio could have created something close to a 'grey area' for further intellectual property claims and individual interpretations of responsibility. Take into account that NGE was practically the first animated project that GAiNAX could take ownership on, and exploit as such, and couple it with the following selected extracts taken from a interview with Mr. "Otaking" Okada to see how it paints the kind of creative process they strived for, the 'chaos strategy' I mentioned before:

Gainax is not a professional film studio. Gainax is a super-amateur film studio, a super-otaku film studio. [LAUGHS] So it is different from the other anime studios. GIANT ROBO was an example of another studio wanting to make an anime with that Gainax ‘touch’ or ‘feeling’. But their staff doesn’t have the confusion of ours. A Gainax animator thinks not only about motion, but about the editing, the lighting - that’s very difficult, and because we do it, we are amateurs, as opposed to a professional studio with a strict division of labor. We all worked on all aspects.

(...)

Take, for example, Hayao Miyazaki’s films. They’re very simple to understand, yet very interesting and very good. That’s because Miyazaki is a strong controller. One man does all the storyboard, the screenplay, directs the animation - he maintains control over everything. But in WINGS, or even GUNBUSTER, we didn’t have that kind of control, because neither Yamaga nor Anno are that kind of strong director, as Miyazaki is. On a Gainax anime project, everyone has to be a director. Therefore, everyone’s feelings and everyone’s knowledge are going into it, creating all that detail. That’s the good side of how Gainax’s films are different from others. But we have no strong director, and that’s the weak side.

(...)

They never realize that at Daicon Film, or Gainax, there is no director, and no producer, and no animators, and no accountants. Everyone did those jobs, in the good old days of Gainax.
http://www.gwern.net/docs/1996-animerica-conscience-otaking

Even after this era, GAiNAX still had a very homogeneous (and controlling for any aspect of a project) board of directors that perpetuated this type of free-for-all environment that blurred in part how, who and when spawned original ideas and concepts that were ultimately developed in behalf of the studio. I imagine that such, lets say, "unresolved" situations can lead to conflicts that I'm sure everyone wants to put aside as much as possible... and this is where Mr. Akai's words I mentioned earlier, about being complacent with those influential studio members involved in that era like Mr. Anno to avoid further damage, could fit.

Stiens;Gate 6

Nothing much to say here. This episode was just a whole lot of nothing happening. The only thing that really happens is that the lab gets a new member. It's just a shame that said member happens to be the least interesting character so far.

the show reaches a certain part it becomes the best it can be, pretty sure you haven't crossed it so just keep watching. You're still in the set-up stage.

duckroll

Couldn't Gainax still be getting royalties?

When Gainax still held on to the rights of the original series, sure. But they very clearly transferred all those rights at some recent point. The Eva Store used to be run under Gainax. Then there were shared rights between Gainax and Khara after the new movies came out because there was merchandising for both old and new Eva brands. Now it's just Khara. Gainax also closed their own web shop, and scrubbed almost all mention of Evangelion from their website other than the obligatory mention on their works list. No more artwork, no more direct sales of the Groundworks books, etc.

You can really taste the BONES (Gen 2) quality writing, can't you? I wish I could say there are a highpoints ahead but in reality they're long behind you. Enjoy your visit to the retirement home.

Xamd is one of those anime that is very hard to get the first time, but becomes absolutely incredible on the rewatch. The slow methodical way the plot unfolds and the way the character's thoughts and interactions are done makes it rather difficult to get the first time when you are too busy trying to piece everything together.

But on the second time where the overall plot is no longer of a concern but the minute interactions and the weight of each character's existence becomes truly understood then you can come to appreciate the masterpiece that it is. The soundtrack is one of the best of any anime and the way it is used is masterful in setting the mood as it swings between thoughtful recollection and dynamic action.

The idea that Xam'd is "boring" when there are so many characters each with such complicated histories and interactions is baffling. There has to be some appreciation for the quiet soliloquy of a person reflecting and reminiscing on the nostalgia of the past before choosing to end it.

I feel like Xam'd has a very Dark Souls esque writing style which expects you to attempt to piece things together from different fragments considering a history written and lived by a variety of people.

At the very least you have to give it props for Nakiami, of which I personally cannot think of a better written female charcter in Anime. She doesn't exist to someone's girlfriend or as a sex/moe appeal. She exists for her own purposes and strikes her own without relying on the MC to save her or to define herself by.

Yuri Kuma Arashi - 02

I love the Kuma shock.
Makes me wonder what side of the wall we're on. What if Kureha is the only real human.

Yuri Kuma Arashi - 02

I love the Kuma shock.
Makes me wonder what side of the wall we're on. What if Kureha is the only real human.

Yeah, for now almost
every girl is a bear, I half-joked too with a: what if Kureha was the only girl and the rest were all bears. But it doesn't make a lot of sense, right? If most of the entire world is composed of bears, why would they hide, why would all the anti-bear systems work? etc

Durarara!! x2 Shou - 01

Durarara!! is back with the same unique and enjoyable format through its first episode. Enjoyed the anime cameos/references such as a possible Index 3 and Miyuki from Mahouka.

I'm a bit disappointed that the new OP and ED doesn't compare well to the previous 2 OPs and 2 EDs from the first season (especially that ED, autotune crazy much?). Though I'm glad the ED had carried on the same panning of characters that the first season's first ED did.

Yeah, for now almost
every girl is a bear, I half-joked too with a: what if Kureha was the only girl and the rest were all bears. But it doesn't make a lot of sense, right? If most of the entire world is composed of bears, why would they hide, why would all the anti-bear systems work? etc

What if
they don't even know they're bears. They all think they're humans but they're in fact bears who thinks they are humans.
b1Qa5sP.jpg

Yuri Kuma Arashi 02

Alright so I'm going to operate on a couple of assumptions here. Kureha is a particularly tasty person so like any good meat or wine they bears want her aged to perfection. That aging process is isolating her which apparently makes her even tastier to them. However for whatever apparent reason the bears can only attack people on school grounds. Other girls in the school are probably bears, teacher for sure is a bear. However not all bears have the same motives. i.e. Konomi Not only that it seems they may not know each other are bears either. And not only do some bears not have the same motives they all have different speech quirks except for Lulu and Ginko who both simply say gao.

I will finish this because I must see where this all leads. ~kira kira

Stiens;Gate 7

When discovering the ability to send messages back in time via microwave, texting the (3rd place) lottery numbers to your past self seems to be the best place to test how history is altered. A shame that no one remembers you doing it.
And that you didn't even get the right number.

Yuri Kuma Arashi 2

Ikuhara seems a little too enamored with plot twists at the expense of, well, everything else. I felt like this with Penguindrum, and I feel the same only more so with this show. Quite a few "big reveals" in Penguindrum ended up leading nowhere, and I'm not convinced that this
everyone's a bear
thing will lead to something meaningful here.
Not to mention Yurizono's earlier behavior, especially her seeming shock at discovering Ginko and Lulu eating Sumika, seems inconsistent with what has been revealed as her true nature.
This seems something fundamentally problematic with the plotting that I'm not sure would be fixed by doubling this show's length. Though certainly doing that would give the characters a little more time to breathe instead of being rushed from one shocking event to the next. The first half of this episode was actually a little better in this regard, but the second half definitely fell into this trap.

Also, I'm not sure what the point of the stock footage/Court repetition was. It doesn't make sense in context of where it was placed, and seems to have wasted time that could have been spent giving events a little more room.

Well, the music is still good at least.

Yurikuma symbolism?

Is my imagination, or the Severance Court symbolism is fairly straightforward?
They start saying "We now begin the Yuri Trial". The subject on Trial is Yuri (the modern otaku genre) itself.

The prosecutor argues: "They have eaten less than a week ago! This is blatant overeating." Here eating, as depicted by the show is fanservice-hot-lesbian-sex-metaphor.
The defense lawyer says: "Some people have more appetite [for yuri fanservice] than others".
The judge declares: "Bears follow bear instincts- that is the sexy way!". That's very close to saying "otakus just follow their natural instinct, therefore lots of sex, fanservice in the market. Deal with it".

And all it's said by three male characters, which actually are the only three male characters in the show, so they easily could represent the typical male otaku who watches yuri for moe girls + lewd = great combo.

This could seen taken a bit forced, but let's remember the author did Utena which wasn't straight yuri but under surreal imagery and symbolism it touched more seriously ideas of gender and sexuality, and that was years ago. I somehow doubt that same Ikuhara now has seen the current anime market, which now has a bit of presence of the yuri genre... but mostly in the form of something to cater the male otaku, something more to exploit, and he is happy about it.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero 3-6

I kind of loved the introduction of the red ranger to the mix. Just an unashamedly tsundere super skilled protagonist whose initial introduction and slow melding into the group was a joy to watch. I feel like the individual character arcs are probably the best thing the show has going for it at the moment, I'm still pretty bleh on the little sister but the introduction of aforementioned red ranger gave enough flair to the group dynamics that I wasn't too disappointed either way.

The main problem I've been having with the series is still the fights. They just aren't at all entertaining.
You create this means in which characters can "level up" through whatever unexplained method and then, in the absolute first fight in which they actually have trouble, everyone flips on a switch and turns super saiyan at the drop of a hat.
Honestly a pretty disappointing means of handling that, though I could potentially forgive it given it's clear the narrative wants to shift itself into a new direction. And the fact that there were
repercussions for accessing the power
is something that I can appreciate. Looking forward to seeing more.

BluWacky

Yuri Kuma Arashi 2

Also, I'm not sure what the point of the stock footage/Court repetition was. It doesn't make sense in context of where it was placed, and seems to have wasted time that could have been spent giving events a little more room.

This was my main issue with the episode, if I'm honest. I find the Court scene at least entertaining in that the script makes sense in isolation, but I have absolutely no idea what the point of it is. At least the Penguin of the Crystal scenes generally made sense in PingDrum (although I don't think I ever quite worked out the point of the "push button ejection" sections), whereas here it didn't seem to have anything to do with the duel sequence - the two main Bears weren't even involved and Kureha didn't do anything. The metaphor was wasted on me this time round.

Yurikuma symbolism?

Is my imagination, or the Severance Court symbolism is fairly straightforward?
They start saying "We now begin the Yuri Trial". The subject on Trial is Yuri (the modern otaku genre) itself.

The prosecutor argues: "They have eaten less than a week ago! This is blatant overeating." Here eating, as depicted by the show is fanservice-hot-lesbian-sex-metaphor.
The defense lawyer says: "Some people have more appetite [for yuri fanservice] than others".
The judge declares: "Bears follow bear instincts- that is the sexy way!". That's very close to saying "otakus just follow their natural instinct, therefore lots of sex, fanservice in the market. Deal with it".

And all it's said by three male characters, which actually are the only three male characters in the show, so they easily could represent the typical male otaku who watches yuri for moe girls + lewd = great combo.

This could seen taken a bit forced, but let's remember the author did Utena which wasn't straight yuri but under surreal imagery and symbolism it touched more seriously ideas of gender and sexuality, and that was years ago. I somehow doubt that same Ikuhara now has seen the current anime market, which now has a bit of presence of the yuri genre... but mostly in the form of something to cater the male otaku, something more to exploit, and he is happy about it.

Unless there's more explicit evidence in the text, I'm reluctant to go along with these readings which try to say that a certain anime is actually a condemnation of otaku (see also Wasurenagumo). They seem more a reading into the text of what the reader would like to see than a reading out of the text of what the author intended.

For instance, the whole "bear = yuri otaku" thing that this argument is predicated upon doesn't make sense with most bears in the show being female participants in yuri.

Shounen Hollywood 2 - 1

It's back, baby. It feels like a nice introductory episode that introduces the cast and the new conflicts that will happen this season.

Good stuff, especially since other "first episodes" like to info dump or be completely incomprehensible.

wonzo

Banned
koufuku graffiti 1

koufukugraffiti1.jpg

first shaft show i've actually bothered to watch since sasami-san and im glad this was a fairly inoffensive watch. umetsu op owns too

a decent appetiser for the upcoming main course (shokugeki no soma)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The new Tokyo Ghoul (square root of A over C to the power of F - P) OP is weird. You're a show about "vampires" that have magic wings and wear silly masks, stop trying to be 'ooooh artistic', especially when said attempt just comes as pure boredom for 90 secs.

Unless there's more explicit evidence in the text, I'm reluctant to go along with these readings which try to say that a certain anime is actually a condemnation of otaku (see also Wasurenagumo). They seem more a reading into the text of what the reader would like to see than a reading out of the text of what the author intended.

For instance, the whole "bear = yuri otaku" thing that this argument is predicated upon doesn't make sense with most bears in the show being female participants in yuri.

It was only a thought that occurred to me for the specific piece of the court. Outside of that context, it's too early to tell. In any case I said the judge and law attorneys would represent the yuri otaku. The "Bears follow bear instincts- that is the sexy way!" could be interpreted too as the train of thought usually used in yuri, as in: in every girl there is a potential lesbian, the sexy way , which is what otakus want, is the author going full yuri with them
Hell, you could say that the otakus want to be the little girl, in which case it would make sense if the bears represent both the otakus and the female participants in yuri! ::p

Mr.Jeff

Allenby is rad as fuck, yo. She's a super awesome fighter who can stand her own alongside the Shuffle Alliance. While Rain is great too, she wouldn't last as a character without her relationship with Domon.
The problem I had with Rain is that for so much of G-Gundam there is so little involving her and development with Domon. Granted this is brought up during the climax of the series that it's largely down to Domon but it feels like development that should happen is too often stymied.

Allenby while she's a great foil for Domon doesn't really work out. She's still a fantastic character and despite the obsession with adding girly touches to her mech Gundam, it's unusual to see a female character i)piloting and ii) using sheer force in a similar and (almost) equal way to her male counterpart with Domon.

As much as I have so many problems with G it's still a mostly great series. Shame it's then followed by Wing...then Seed...then Seed D....then 00....then Age.

Quasar

I still don't understand why CR can stream this but nobody has the disc rights or anything.

I see I imagined lots of the minor items on CR have no disc version. Though I guess I'm a bit surprised that with multiple seasons like this none tried at least the first season.

Then again...is Minami-ke on disc anywhere? I know Funimation had some of it sub only on their streaming service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom