• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
KUMA SHOCK ep2

Some of Ikuhara's flourishes are nice but this ep was even worse than the first, the courtroom scene didn't belong in this episode, the pacing is too hyper so there's no time to build up any suspense or mystery, the dialogue is ridiculously hamfisted and too preoccupied with OMG TWIST *KUMA SHOCK* to actually accomplish anything. What did we actually learn from this ep?
Everyone is a bear who wants to eat Boring McBorington, the protagonist.
That's it. Boring McBorington has done nothing except shoot bear statues and declare I WILL AVENGE MY LOVE *falls off roof again*. - insert flashback to show how YURI she and her dead girlfriend were -

Jarmel

Banned

I find that quote fairly fascinating, especially the bit about the lack of accountants

When Gainax still held on to the rights of the original series, sure. But they very clearly transferred all those rights at some recent point. The Eva Store used to be run under Gainax. Then there were shared rights between Gainax and Khara after the new movies came out because there was merchandising for both old and new Eva brands. Now it's just Khara. Gainax also closed their own web shop, and scrubbed almost all mention of Evangelion from their website other than the obligatory mention on their works list. No more artwork, no more direct sales of the Groundworks books, etc.

Yikes! I was thinking if they still got some form of royalties then the sale might make sense. I hope Gainax got a good price for selling their golden goose.

Patlabor 2 man... ;(

Oshii lost his way.

Shounen Hollywood 2 - 1

It's back, baby. It feels like a nice introductory episode that introduces the cast and the new conflicts that will happen this season.

Good stuff, especially since other "first episodes" like to info dump or be completely incomprehensible.

I hope we get as many ED's as we got last season, was listening to some of them today at work. So many so good.

Jex

Yuri Kuma Arashi 2

Ikuhara seems a little too enamored with plot twists at the expense of, well, everything else. I felt like this with Penguindrum, and I feel the same only more so with this show. Quite a few "big reveals" in Penguindrum ended up leading nowhere, and I'm not convinced that this
everyone's a bear
thing will lead to something meaningful here.
Not to mention Yurizono's earlier behavior, especially her seeming shock at discovering Ginko and Lulu eating Sumika, seems inconsistent with what has been revealed as her true nature.
This seems something fundamentally problematic with the plotting that I'm not sure would be fixed by doubling this show's length. Though certainly doing that would give the characters a little more time to breathe instead of being rushed from one shocking event to the next. The first half of this episode was actually a little better in this regard, but the second half definitely fell into this trap.

Also, I'm not sure what the point of the stock footage/Court repetition was. It doesn't make sense in context of where it was placed, and seems to have wasted time that could have been spent giving events a little more room.

Well, the music is still good at least.
Only if you assume they have time or money to animate more footage! But yeah, it's fair to say the scene made zero sense. Even less sense than before!

As for whether the story is to 'twist heavy' - Ikuhara has always used twists in his stories, usually through flashbacks featuring some kind of revelation. It's pretty hard to judge how well they'd work in a show of a different length because I doubt you'd get 3 major twists in 3 episodes, let alone one.

Trucking right along with exterminating my backlog of anime on my portable HDD's I've arrived at Robotics Notes 01-07 Finally!

42013.jpg

Having a hell of a time figuring out where this show is going exactly, but the animation is nice and smooth, colorful, and the lack of explosions and what not is very refreshing. Plus I'm a huge fan of rural island settings so that just is even better. Not bad so far.

Though I did notice how high the budget was on the first episode, compared to the rest. Its still high quality (though maybe its the 1080p talking.) Just noticed how many non-important characters there were walking around the school and in general, then from episode 2 on, its like the cast is the only people in the world haha. Nothing other shows have not done, guess I'm just more aware of it these days.

Yoru no Yatterman 1
An interesting dark take with the villains becoming the heroes and the heroes become villains that isn't so often seen in anime. It was very charming seeing Leopard growup. I look forward to what they do with this series

Trucking right along with exterminating my backlog of anime on my portable HDD's I've arrived at Robotics Notes 01-07 Finally!

42013.jpg

Having a hell of a time figuring out where this show is going exactly, but the animation is nice and smooth, colorful, and the lack of explosions and what not is very refreshing. Plus I'm a huge fan of rural island settings so that just is even better. Not bad so far.

Though I did notice how high the budget was on the first episode, compared to the rest. Its still high quality (though maybe its the 1080p talking.) Just noticed how many non-important characters there were walking around the school and in general, then from episode 2 on, its like the cast is the only people in the world haha. Nothing other shows have not done, guess I'm just more aware of it these days.

Its the best of that series entries. The robot and backstory is cool, and the evolution in story to incorporate pretty great theories and mysteries made it one of the most compelling anime of its year. Yashio is really memorable as well as Subaru. And the OP as well, remix version especially.

Armored Trooper VOTOMS 04-06

Man, Chirico really can't catch a goddamn break. His suffering makes Kamille look like a wimp. No wonder he's such a hardass.

I like the supporting cast of Proto-Favaro, Girl and Fat Dude. In particular I like the scene where Proto-Favaro acts like he's being beaten up in the bathroom when actually he's bribing the guy.

Good show continues to be good, and that OP and next ep PVs are amazing.

Theonik

Armored Trooper VOTOMS 04-06

Man, Chirico really can't catch a goddamn break. His suffering makes Kamille look like a wimp. No wonder he's such a hardass.

I like the supporting cast of Proto-Favaro, Girl and Fat Dude. In particular I like the scene where Proto-Favaro acts like he's being beaten up in the bathroom when actually he's bribing the guy.

Good show continues to be good, and that OP and next ep PVs are amazing.
So good Ocean's 11 stole it.

Only if you assume they have time or money to animate more footage!

They could just pan over some stills while people talk or whatever. I wouldn't really mind!

As for whether the story is to 'twist heavy' - Ikuhara has always used twists in his stories, usually through flashbacks featuring some kind of revelation. It's pretty hard to judge how well they'd work in a show of a different length because I doubt you'd get 3 major twists in 3 episodes, let alone one.

My main concern is not the concentration of twists per se as much as the question of does this twist serve a larger point in the story or is it a twist for the sake of a twist, aka "the LOST effect". I felt that quite a few twists in Penguindrum (which certainly spaced them out more) were of the latter variety, and I remain unconvinced that the twists in Yuri Kuma are not the same.

Thoraxes

My main concern is not the concentration of twists per se as much as the question of does this twist serve a larger point in the story or is it a twist for the sake of a twist, aka "the LOST effect". I felt that quite a few twists in Penguindrum (which certainly spaced them out more) were of the latter variety, and I remain unconvinced that the twists in Yuri Kuma are not the same.
How do you determine which is which? If it serves purpose in determining the direction of the story why wouldn't it be the former instead of the latter?

Or is this just more a wait and see what actually happens post?

In Pengindrum I thought the twists/plot revelations at the end were great because it gave me a massive incentive to rewatch the series to see just how well everything was planned and foreshadowed all the way at the start of the series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They could just pan over some stills while people talk or whatever. I wouldn't really mind!

I think I'll have to check out completely if Yuri Kuma does the same. Blegh.

Acosta

I had forgot to finish Sabagebu, so I'm on it. I got a nice reminder of why the show is great.

KNvWksc.jpg

Raw lessons of life from Momoka.

The new Tokyo Ghoul (square root of A over C to the power of F - P) OP is weird. You're a show about "vampires" that have magic wings and wear silly masks, stop trying to be 'ooooh artistic', especially when said attempt just comes as pure boredom for 90 secs.

Well I love the OP because of how progressive and unique it is. You also got to remember this OP is meant to convey his state of mind after his transformation and his lonely journey. All this is used to show how tragic of a character he is and at the end you see blood come from his eyes. Which will be an important detail later on in the anime. So Tokyo Ghoul isn't supposed to be some straight up action Shonen, but a tragic story about Kaneki's journey.

Also this anime is adapting a manga (not quite faithfully) that contains lots of symbolism and foreshadowing, which is why the anime may be a bit artistic.

I heard that Tokyo Ghoul will get its true OP on episode 2. like with season 1. Anyone else knows more?

I really don't know, but it could be a temporary placeholder just to introduce Kaneki's transformation.

Though really I don't care because I like the Opening.

How do you determine which is which? If it serves purpose in determining the direction of the story why wouldn't it be the former instead of the latter?

In Yuri Kuma's case, I do have to wait and see what actually happens. It's still possible that the show will do something interesting with the
bear
twists, though right now I'm not sure what that could be.

In Pengindrum I thought the twists/plot revelations at the end were great because it gave me a massive incentive to rewatch the series to see just how well everything was planned and foreshadowed all the way at the start of the series.

I'll admit I haven't rewatched Penguindrum, but I certainly felt at the time that the plotting was messy and there were quite a few twists, especially ones that ended episodes, that were left dangling.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

In Yuri Kuma's case, I do have to wait and see what actually happens. It's still possible that the show will do something interesting with the
bear

I'll admit I haven't rewatched Penguindrum, but I certainly felt at the time that the plotting was messy and there were quite a few twists, especially ones that ended episodes, that were left dangling.

You guys should rewatch Lost and BSG and tell me about all that clever writing and foreshadowing.

javac

Oshii lost his way.

Before you get the wrong idea, to me Patlabor 2 is the best thing in the whole franchise and is in my top 5 of anime anything period (also helps that it focuses on my two favourite characters in the series, Goto and Shinobu) but yeah that moment in the movie where you see
Alphonse relegated to being a testbed for data collection and Izumi having grown up from here attachment to it was a sad but pivotal moment
. Patlabor in general is my favourite franchise, and I say franchise as it's the whole thing that makes it for me. A compete package. As a single entity, Gunbuster is my Number 1.

sonicmj1

Again, Reincarnation =/= Heaven, Void =/= Hell. Actually, in Buddhism you go to the void (nirvana) after attaining enlightenment.

In Buddhism, reaching nirvana takes generations upon generations of reincarnation, and is incredibly difficult. That reading also goes against the mask symbolism above the respective elevators.

Moreover, someone's soul being sent to the void/nothing (虚無, a fragment used in the construction of the Japanese word for nihilism, 虚無主義) seems contradictory to the idea of nirvana, which is really one's soul unifying with the whole universe. It's a lot more like the Quincy in Bleach who destroy the souls of the demons they defeat.

It's probably best to wait until the second episode explains more about what the afterlife is all about.

Thoraxes

bear

Ah, totally understandable. I just like to know how each person determines it because we each have different viewpoints on this stuff. If anything, I kind of like that I can never predict what's going to happen next, heh. It always keeps me guessing and I'm always wrong, which is something I really enjoy.

You guys should rewatch Lost and BSG and tell me about all that clever writing and foreshadowing.
I never watched Lost because it was one of those shows people overhyped to me to the point that I didn't care. Not sure if that's happened to you before or not. I'm guessing I should watch Lost?

Dog Days S1 Ep 7

lol He played fetch with the princess then rewarded her with petting. I expected her dog instincts to kick in and bring the frisbee back with her mouth.

The MC's VA is awful.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

fertygo

Only if you assume they have time or money to animate more footage! But yeah, it's fair to say the scene made zero sense. Even less sense than before!

The court is very on the nose

They're among the only male in the show and they judging how sexy, beauty, and cool the lesbian act in the show.

You do the math.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think this is more related to how the early-on very amateur structure of the studio could have created something close to a 'grey area' for further intellectual property claims and individual interpretations of responsibility. Take into account that NGE was practically the first animated project that GAiNAX could take ownership on, and exploit as such, and couple it with the following selected extracts taken from a interview with Mr. "Otaking" Okada to see how it paints the kind of creative process they strived for, the 'chaos strategy' I mentioned before:

http://www.gwern.net/docs/1996-anime...cience-otaking

Even after this era, GAiNAX still had a very homogeneous (and controlling for any aspect of a project) board of directors that perpetuated this type of free-for-all environment that blurred in part how, who and when spawned original ideas and concepts that were ultimately developed in behalf of the studio. I imagine that such, lets say, "unresolved" situations can lead to conflicts that I'm sure everyone wants to put aside as much as possible... and this is where Mr. Akai's words I mentioned earlier, about being complacent with those influential studio members involved in that era like Mr. Anno to avoid further damage, could fit.
It seems kind of insane to have that artistic culture influence some of the greater legal needs of the company as well though. But hey, maybe Anno just got really lucky working with people who had no interest in controlling anything.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Just getting caught up on the thread and noticed people are beginning to write YuriKuma episode 2 impressions. HYYYYPE

Andrew J.

Lesbian Bear Storm 02

This is The Man Who Was Thursday, isn't it? Bears pretending to be human infiltrate where literally everyone else is also a bear pretending to be human.

Yes, even Kureha. Calling it!

UberTag

Lesbian Bear Storm 02

This is The Man Who Was Thursday, isn't it? Bears pretending to be human infiltrate where literally everyone else is also a bear pretending to be human.

Yes, even Kureha. Calling it!
But she doesn't have Yuri in her name.
Unless there's an as-yet-unrevealed-middle-name we don't know about.
Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom