• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
MarkMan said:
jhferry: I forgot to thank you. If you never made that thread on SRK, it never would have been so hype as it is now... good job!

Even tho I'm sure your initial reason for posting the thread was out of terror and not of awe lol.

Hey no problem man. Believe me, I was happy to have such an about face. It is a bit crazy though isnt it?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
jhferry said:
Hey no problem man. Believe me, I was happy to have such an about face. It is a bit crazy though isnt it?

I agree. I was the first one to admit on the first page.

I understood everyone's fear and frustration. I don't blame em ;)

I got a Sanwa and I find the square gate to be bugging me when it an upward slide will cause a up-diagonal jump

are octo gates a good solution for this? whihc type of Octo gate would you recommend for a Sanwa JLF?

gutter_trash said:
I got a Sanwa and I find the square gate to be bugging me when it an upward slide will cause a up-diagonal jump

are octo gates a good solution for this? whihc type of Octo gate would you recommend for a Sanwa JLF?
1)Man up to a square gate.
2) your question was answered a few posts up. (GT-Y)

Got my Seimitsu parts in from akihabarashop earlier this week for the upcoming mod I want to do to one of my TEs.

2009febpickup01.jpg

So after messing with the templates, which one should I go with...

This?

dszeonte.jpg

Or this?

dszeonte2.jpg

gokieks said:
The former, though not having the stick pop out from a random spot on the Zaku's head would probably look better.

the androgyne said:
I like the first one.
Cool, that's my fave as well. As for the stick, I wanted to give the impression that the stick was coming out of the Zaku's eye. But it didn't come out the way I hoped.

Here's a revision of #1 then.

dszeonte3.jpg

Better?

You might want to get a single snap-in button, since it's apparantly a pain to fit the button closest to the mounting plate with a screw-in.
I can live with my Seimitsu buttons. I'll just grind down the nut like in the video.

the androgyne said:
I like the first one.
You might want to get a single snap-in button, since it's apparantly a pain to fit the button closest to the mounting plate with a screw-in.
Only the Sanwa screw-ins won't fit. Seimitsu screw-ins should be fine.

Per Markman:

Markman said:
As a heads up Sanwa screw in nuts will not fit in easily around the X (PS3) / A (360) button due to the stick bracket blocking the way. However a Seimitsu yellow screw in nut will fasten a screw in button just fine.

Just a heads up. This is due to the Vewlix panel not having a universal mounting plate to support an LS32. It is something we added on our own. We didn't want to sacrifice the spacing/layout of the stick/buttons.

I reccommend you use snap in buttons, but if you wanna screw, take note!

gkryhewy

These templates are amazing. Are people planning to print them on a color laser printer, or is there some better method I'm overlooking? I'd love to see some designs with classic arcade cabinet art (Golden Axe, 1943... so many possibilities!)

Chorazin

gkrykewy said:
These templates are amazing. Are people planning to print them on a color laser printer, or is there some better method I'm overlooking? I'd love to see some designs with classic arcade cabinet art (Golden Axe, 1943... so many possibilities!)

I personally would take the picture on a thumb drive to Kinkos and have a glossy high quality one made.

Teknoman

Chorazin said:
I personally would take the picture on a thumb drive to Kinkos and have a glossy high quality one made.

I wonder if that glossy printer paper would suffice. I've seen some images printed on those that look pretty nice.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
My regular FightStick was waiting for me when I got home from class this morning, so I slapped my parts in it(apologies for the crappy quality pic).

fs.jpg

Still has the stock stick in it, but I put an octagonal gate on it, I might replace the stick later, but it feels good enough for now. Everything was really easy except I had a hell of a time getting the stock square gate off(had to cut it off with a dremel). Unless I'm missing something(very little stick modding exp., so quite likely =P), the clips just didn't want to budge. Oh well... very happy with it so far!

mollipen

I'd like to hear what people with the standard version of the FightStick end up doing to replace the deck art.

My best thinking so far is this: take image to Kinko's, print out on full-sheet label, temporarily stick a second sheet of paper through the back, have them run it through the laminater, and then just basically stick that onto the face of the joystick.

I don't know how easy it's going to be to pull the current artwork off, nor if one should even do so. A full-sheet label stuck to that wouldn't be the most elegant solution, but it should work, and it should be easy enough to then take off and either return to the original art or replace with new art. One of my concerns, though, is how much the current art would bleed through, depending on how think Kinko's current crop of labels are. (I haven't worked there in a long time, so I don't know.)

drkOne

BlackWaltz said:
My regular FightStick was waiting for me when I got home from class this morning, so I slapped my parts in it(apologies for the crappy quality pic).

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u91/OglopEtc/fs.jpg[IMG]

Still has the stock stick in it, but I put an octagonal gate on it, I might replace the stick later, but it feels good enough for now. Everything was really easy except I had a hell of a time getting the stock square gate off(had to cut it off with a dremel). Unless I'm missing something(very little stick modding exp., so quite likely =P), the clips just didn't want to budge. Oh well... very happy with it so far![/QUOTE]

What's the balltop you got in there? I wanted to get a bubble ball so I could change when I get mine but don't know which one I have to get.

Thanks

decon

C/P from the SF4 thread:

Any links for some guides/templates for the HORI Real Arcade Pro 3 stick? I'm going with it over the standard madcatz stick, that's the right choice eh?
I don't have the cash to spend on a tourny stick (will probably end up buying one someday though). Some of your guys art looks awesome :)

Syril

BlackWaltz said:
Still has the stock stick in it, but I put an octagonal gate on it, I might replace the stick later, but it feels good enough for now. Everything was really easy except I had a hell of a time getting the stock square gate off(had to cut it off with a dremel). Unless I'm missing something(very little stick modding exp., so quite likely =P), the clips just didn't want to budge. Oh well... very happy with it so far!

So you can an octagonal gate on the stock joystick? Which one did you use?

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
drkOne said:
What's the balltop you got in there? I wanted to get a bubble ball so I could change when I get mine but don't know which one I have to get.

It's a Sanwa LB-35, afaik the Seimitsu bubbletop is the same size so you shouldn't have any trouble switching it out.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
Syril said:
So you can an octagonal gate on the stock joystick? Which one did you use?

Sanwa GT-Y. It took a bit of work(had to grind the edges of the clips on the stick as they were a tiny bit too large), but it went on.

Sanjuro

Just mentioning here I have a SF:Anniversary Arcade Stick I'm trying to sell to a GAFer before the end of the day in the buy/sell/trade thread if anyone is interested. I've been trying to avoid ebay but most likely will need to put it up later.

viewtiful_dru said:
Real question: why are so many people switching to octagonal gates? Is the square that unwieldy?

Just what I'm used to from growing up around Euro arcades. It's how I used to play (the shit out of) SF2.

What can this thing do for me?

It will switch the joystick from being 4-way to 8-way

fabs115

So I preordered the regular edition stick. And I see some people are modding it. Was just wondering where exactly I can go, and what exact parts I should order should I just want to change the color of the white buttons, and ball color of the joystick as well. Thanks

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
fabs115 said:
Was just wondering where exactly I can go, and what exact parts I should order should I just want to change the color of the white buttons, and ball color of the joystick as well. Thanks

LizardLick seems to be pretty popular, and I've never had any trouble ordering from there. As far as what parts, you should be okay with any of the 30mm Seimitsu or Sanwa buttons and 35mm Seimitsu/Sanwa balltops, unless you want a bat top in which case you'd need the adapter(which LL appears to be sold out of atm).

Sh0k

Chorazin said:

Kinkos charge $2. for an 11"x17" regular paper color print and $3. for glossy. I printed this custom art for my home made joystick on Saturday, size was 11" x 14".

dsc01059192.jpg

Yes Boss!

My poor-mans TE came in today. Did not realize how poor till I opened it up to switch out the buttons and discovered they were all soldered in place...so now I've got a small project ahead of me for the weekend after I pick up some heat shrink tubing.

P1000046-1.jpg

P1000048.jpg

Guymelef

Yes Boss! said:
My poor-mans TE came in today. Did not realize how poor till I opened it up to switch out the buttons and discovered they were all soldered in place...so now I've got a small project ahead of me for the weekend after I pick up some heat shrink tubing.

P1000048.jpg

WTF???
I hope they use quick disconnects in the next products...

Yes Boss!

Teknopathetic said:
Wow. The SF4 HRAP doesn't use quick disconnects? That's pretty fucked up.

:lol No shit, disheartening. I've got nice white Sanwa buttons already to go and everything. Not a pro solderer. Would my best option to be solder the Sanwa buttons into the circuit board or just solder the wires directly to the buttons? There seems to be a microchip on the board. Yikes, I might just leave it stock and save my buttons for a future stick.

xt04

Neo Member
Its not bad, it just takes some getting used to. I still miss hadoukens occasionally, but DPs are easy as pie now.

Edit: was referring to square gate vs octo.. quote didnt come through for some reason.

Yes Boss!

Geezer said:
Any chance of a pic of the instruction cards it came with? :)

Nice looking stick, lack of quick-disconnects aside. I'm pleased they went with a matte finish rather than the easily scratched mirror surface that is on the EX.

P1000050.jpg

P1000051.jpg

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I got my Street Fighter IV Hori (PS3) today too!

Very disappointing!

Nice box though... I can only think of one box that might be better ;)

Here are my pics...

3266866967_52f5e1721e.jpg

3267690528_5bd7cb678d.jpg

3266865401_635038208d.jpg

3266864987_15a496cf33.jpg

3267688720_ffb83d2cd9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom