• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii) Thread -- It puts the 'hot' in shotgun!

:Motorbass said:
It's more than that. A new Wiimote from Nyko. The problem with the current Wiimote ist that you can NOT emulate a "A" or "B" Button press through a peripheral like the Classic Controler (they are "different" "A" and "B"s) So currently, you have to have a mechanism that triggers the buttons mechanically. The Nyko wand fixes that, so you can have a real buttonpress when you pull the trigger.

I have also read something about an updated rumble effect that is coming from the official pistol-attachment. A more Gamecube-like rumble...

Anony

:Motorbass said:
It's more than that. A new Wiimote from Nyko. The problem with the current Wiimote ist that you can NOT emulate a "A" or "B" Button press through a peripheral like the Classic Controler (they are "different" "A" and "B"s) So currently, you have to have a mechanism that triggers the buttons mechanically. The Nyko wand fixes that, so you can have a real buttonpress when you pull the trigger.

man, i dont want to buy another attachment
this is why i hate peripherals

Roelatie

i dont wanna know about the stupid shell. I want to know more about Teh hardcore game on the Wii. Is it really that hot?

birdchili

played through the first three chapters yesterday in co-op.

it's great fun - definitely slower than hotd2, and a *lot* darker - there are places where you're shooting at moving shadows rather than obvious zombies mutants. you also (initially) seem to need more precision for headshots than in hotd2/3 - it's closer to umbrella chronicles in this regard, though you don't need quite as much of a steady hand as that (also - once you're using a shotgun it's pretty-much a moot point anyway).

the lead characters are classic unimaginative stereotypes so far (particularly washington), which is a bit disappointing, but not particularly surprising. i've definitely laughed quite a few times at the over-the-topness of things, and the absurd amount of "motherfuckers" is, while overdone, also worthy of laughable mockery.

i really need some more (re)play before i can say where it will fall in the hierarchy of wii shooters, but i'm itching to get back into it tonight, so that bodes well. it's definitely going to be much shorter than uc, but there are tons of achievement-style goals (hit percentage on a level, large chains, etc...) that'll give replay a bit more structure.

there are also some "minigame" modes that'll probably be great too, though i haven't played with these yet: shooting gallery, save the hostages challenges, and unrelenting zombie mutant attack.

there's *some* depth, particularly with timing the (awesome) slow-mofo mode, but i'm not sure if strategic weapon selection is going to matter much (I can't imagine why you'd use the pistol after getting the shotgun; and the machine gun, while generally useful pretty-much prevents you from getting any sort of combo). whoever decided that weapon-change should be on the 1 button was nuts too.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
birdchili, how does it compare difficulty-wise with UC?

birdchili

blu said:
birdchili, how does it compare difficulty-wise with UC?
i'm not supposed to talk about the game on internet forums until i've beaten the director's cut:)

getting through the game is going to be trivially easy since you can *always* just continue at the cost of 1/2 (i think) of your score (this affects the cash you get for weapon upgrades at the end of the level). i think i didn't die at all until the third level.

it took me a bit of play before i got the "hang" of uc - figuring out that it was really about slow and steady, deliberate headshots and not just spamming the fire button (it was the first wii gun game i played too (excluding wii play i suppose)). uc also had more relevant weapon selection and ammunition issues (all the guns in hotd seem to have unlimited ammo). given this, i'd say that hotd:eek: has a shorter learning curve and is probably "easier" in the general.

that said - there's the director's cut (which removes unlimited continues), and a toggle for "more mutants" before you select each level (which i assume you'd do in order to increase challenge and scoring opportunities) so if you're looking for difficulty there are some options there. some of the "achievements" (which unlock music/art and such) look ridiculously difficult.

it's definitely closer to hotd2/3 in pacing than it is to uc, in spite of the slower pace.

When did GameStop.com start sucking as much as regular GameStops? Checked my order status for this today, and my game was shipped and my bonus comic was canceled. The only reason I preordered this at full price was the comic, and once I get the game I'll be sending it right back. Pick it up later after a price drop.

rainking187 said:
When did GameStop.com start sucking as much as regular GameStops? Checked my order status for this today, and my game was shipped and my bonus comic was canceled. The only reason I preordered this at full price was the comic, and once I get the game I'll be sending it right back. Pick it up later after a price drop.

Really, over the comic? Why not just ebay that? Then again if you only wanted the game at launch for the comic. Guess it might be best to wait after all.

rainking187 said:

Isn't the comic supposed to be in the package? I only ordered it at EB for the comic too.

Teknoman

2DMention said:
I would've bought this, but last week, partial lay offs have reared their ugly, corpse maggot infested heads at my company, and I'm waiting on another part time job, so if I do buy this, it'll be next week at the earliest, although I'll be knee deep in SFIV, SO4 & DQ5, so I might wait till this goes on clearance on Target, which is inevitable 4-5 months from now.

It happened for HotD 2 & 3, so why not?

It's a shame too, because I love light gun games.

You know, that could be possible, either that or minor sales on the game.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well yeah, but I'd never cancel my order because of the comic missing.

When there's a $10 price difference, it's understandable. Paying an extra $10 for a "free" comic is bad enough, but still paying that $10 when they yank the comic out from under you is disgusting.

I haven't heard from my EB yet. Not sure if I'm going to cancel if I don't get the comic, but I will be pretty annoyed because I really wanted it.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm talking about ordering it online at Amazon where the game is $10 cheaper than what I'll be paying at EB, not just waiting 8 months for the game to drop in price.

Remy

Just got a shipping notice from Amazon, but I didn't get a UPS tracking number. How does THAT work?

Edit: Weird, the email said there was no tracking, but the Amazon account shows one. Huh.

Volcynika

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Is this game due in stores today or was this the ship date?

Yesterday was the ship date for US. So in stores today is a good chance. Just not sure how big their shipment was, so it might be in limited supply.

Jocchan said:
2pt1oqr.jpg

"Suck it like G did?!"

Gino

I can't wait to play this. Still haven't decided what I'm going to do for a gun. I'm planning on going Light Gun crazy and getting HoTD 2&3 as well as Ghost squad, so I know I want something.

I'm thinking perfect shot, but that new nyko wiimote/gun is tempting.

123rl

I just started playing (literally) and I had to come and post here because I absolutely LOVE the intro. The video, the music, the lyrics (Lock and load, motherfuckers), the Grindhouse-style art style - this is a brilliantly well-produced game and I've only just began.

I have my copy on the desk at work here with me, along with the comic (which is pretty damn cool actually). I'm working until late tonight though so I probably won't have time to get to it until tomorrow. Then, I'm co-oping up with a buddy and we're beating the campaign.

Tonight FEAR2 gets priority. That one I actually have to review.

markatisu

Volcynika said:
Yesterday was the ship date for US. So in stores today is a good chance. Just not sure how big their shipment was, so it might be in limited supply.

It was in our Walmarts yesterday, I saw it at two I went to after work.

So definitly by today (Wed) it should be everywhere, I am going to pick it up after I get off my shift here!

Volcynika

markatisu said:
It was in our Walmarts yesterday, I saw it at two I went to after work.

So definitly by today (Wed) it should be everywhere, I am going to pick it up after I get off my shift here!

Let us know how it is! My copy still needs to be shipped.

:(

stuminus3

What is wrong with Sega these days? They are supposed to be wrong all the time, but there's some things these days that are just so very, very right.

I think outsourcing this to a Western developer was actually a fantastic idea, too (especially one so comfortable with the Wii). It's kind of like injecting their games with some fresh blood, there's a passion (and a direction) to be found here that's been missing from their own in-house stuff for far too long.

Volcynika

stuminus3 said:
What is wrong with Sega these days? They are supposed to be wrong all the time, but there's some things these days that are just so very, very right.

I think outsourcing this to a Western developer was actually a fantastic idea, too. It's kind of like injecting their games with some fresh blood, there's a passion (and a direction) to be found here that's been missing from their own in-house stuff for far too long.

They're a great publisher, and they still have one or two titles that are really well done (Valkyria!1!1!!)

But yeah, Sega is pretty much doing a great job with some of the games they're bringing us.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
hotd.jpg

From the Feb Pick-Up post, HOTD Overkill, signed by the designer, artist and writer of the game.

I havn't read the comic yet, but I'm sure its fun.

BikoBiko

McBacon said:
hotd.jpg

From the Feb Pick-Up post, HOTD Overkill, signed by the designer, artist and writer of the game.

I havn't read the comic yet, but I'm sure its fun.
Hot damn, and a signed MadWorld poster too?! o_O

It makes me sad the CE isn't coming out everywhere in Europe :(

Gino

MiniDitka said:
Some gameplay video - http://www.imeem.com/people/x3pRCQF...o_house_of_the_deadoverkill_clip_1_videogame/

And before anyone asks why the constant reloading, it wasn't me :lol There is something wrong with my Wiimote which causes the control in some games to go haywire. Good thing I have another which I'll be using from now on :D Should have some video up later on.
You need to buy a new Wiimote man. That reloading was annoying. Also you fire really slowly. I always blast like crazy when playing light gun games.

RobbieNick

Finally got my copy. This muthafuckin' game is muthafuckin' sweet!! A paradoy of every bad horror movie ever and the Samuel Jackson parody cop is hilarious.

Just seen an ad for this on TV (Scotland) - short but sweet, and I'm chuffed to bits it's actually getting some marketing. HotD 2+3 did fairly well over here IIRC, so I'm hopeful HotD Overkill can build on that - from impressions so far it certainly seems as though it deserves to.

Top Bottom