• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii) Thread -- It puts the 'hot' in shotgun!

Volcynika

FightyF said:
WHAT IS THIS I MUST KNOW

Ideally I'd like to get 2 perfect shots, a Wii, and all of the HotD games released on the Wii (in time all of SEGA's lightgun shooters on the Wii as well).

So I'm looking for the cheapest way to get this. I'm already sacrificing a SF4 gamepad because I'm short on funds, so I'm willing to take baby steps.

My sister in law has a Wii, I'll borrow that, so I'm looking at 2 Nyko perfect shots (is that what those are in that box set?) and the HotD games (looks like there are 3 games in that box set...are those it?). Any help would be appreciated.

That package is a Europe exclusive, and it's not the Perfect Shots (though I heard Eurogamer said they weren't that great). The only titles available in HotD for the Wii are HotD 2 & 3 Return and then Overkill.

Amir0x

Banned
teknoman said:
Yeah kinda wish alot of these titles were finished before Christmas. Either way, this month it's Killzone 2

Yeah if I had a PS3 I'd definitely get Killzone 2. The graphics part of it already gives the game a factual score starting point of 8/10, everything else is gravy!

FightyF

Banned
Volcynika said:
That package is a Europe exclusive, and it's not the Perfect Shots (though I heard Eurogamer said they weren't that great). The only titles available in HotD for the Wii are HotD 2 & 3 Return and then Overkill.

Thanks. I was hoping to find a bundled deal like that, looks like I'll have to get everything seperately. To my knowledge Nyko PSs are pretty cheap, and I would garner that those re-released HotD Wii titles would be cheap at this point...

HotD 2 + 3 return = $35 CDN
Apparently Nyko PS's are cheap at Toys R Us for $15 CDN each... = $30 CDN

Total $65 CDN. Not bad.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Fredescu said:
Really? Isnt' that a week early?

No, the official UK release is this Friday. I've also ordered a second hand cannon but I probably won't get that until early next week.

kaskade

I think I'm going to be buying a Perfect Shot and this game this week. Looks like a ton of fun, I love the grindhouse aesthetic .

Teknoman

Dunno if this counts as a sale but:

Fry's is going to have HotD 2&3 for 19.99 and Overkill for 44.99. Didnt spot any coupons or anything for other stores.

The French limited edition seems different.
5060138443624.jpg

Do you think I should go for this since I already have 2 wii-zapper (you know the Link Crossbow Trainging thing) ?
There is a 10€ difference.
Do we need the nunchuk to play ? If not then maybe I should go with the hand cannon :D

[Nintex]

I got it early and it rocks, it's faster and much better designed than Umbrella Chronicles. A bit on the easy side, but that is fixed with an 'extra mutants' button for the story mode and a longer director's cut mode. It looks great for a Wii game too, I haven't seen such good use of motion blur on the system yet.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I so so so can't wait for this. I preordered the Collector's Edition on Saturday.

I will happily give up food to afford this!

Are there any required motions in this game?

Like in umbrella when you need to dodge things, press A+B etc. That was the thing that stopped me from playing it 2 player coop because of my friends bad reflexes...

I read the reviews but saw no mention of it except shaking off zombies which did not sound that complicated.

[Nintex]

PuppetSlave said:
Are there any required motions in this game?

Like in umbrella when you need to dodge things, press A+B etc. That was the thing that stopped me from playing it 2 player coop because of my friends bad reflexes...

I read the reviews but saw no mention of it except shaking off zombies which did not sound that complicated.
You only have to shake off zombies and shoot at shit bosses throw at you, no QTE's or anything :)

Volcynika said:

It's an Australian exclusive. :(

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Fredescu said:
Damn I just realised we're getting it a week late in Aus. Oh well, we've had worse delays.

Yeah, a week isn't too bad. You did have me scrambling to check my order status though :lol

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I'm gonna go play this tommorow (and MadWorld) and I think SEGA is giving out House of the Dead at the event, so looking forward to that.

McBacon said:
I'm gonna go play this tommorow (and MadWorld) and I think SEGA is giving out House of the Dead at the event, so looking forward to that.
I hate your pseudo. I'm hungry and I can't help imagine me eating a McBacon :(

Back to topic :
Ninja Kn1ght said:
It's an Australian exclusive. :(
Yeah but I think the version I posted is available everywhere in EU (but yeah only 1 gun I know...)

Taker666

Is this game actually getting any TV ads in the US? I have yet to see any in the UK. Annoying to know it will be a massive bomb before it's even released. Is it against the law to advertise anything that isn't Wii shovelware?

pakkit

Banned
Taker666 said:
Is this game actually getting any TV ads in the US? I have yet to see any in the UK. Annoying to know it will be a massive bomb before it's even released. Is it against the law to advertise anything that isn't Wii shovelware?
Wii's software sales have pretty much proven that no advertising has little effect on sales. House of the Dead is a namebrand too, and those tend to do well on this console. That said, it couldn't have hurt...

danmaku

John Harker said:
You can shut the reticle off to make it more like a "light gun experience" still yes?

Yes, you can. But I wonder how good the IR sensor calibration is. If it's on par with a GunCon (maybe someone can do a comparison?) then I'm interested, otherwise I'll stick with my PS2 for light gun games.

maxmars

Ordered through play.com. I couldn't find it in Italy so I didn't even know it was coming out, but this thread saved the day. Thanks!

Also got a second zapper, can't find it locally. Now between this, RE:UC, Ghost Squad I can start hosting lightgun parties. :D

Taker666

pakkit said:
Wii's software sales have pretty much proven that no advertising has little effect on sales. House of the Dead is a namebrand too, and those tend to do well on this console. That said, it couldn't have hurt...

I'd say that was true in regards to budget software,family software, casual software and titles that cash in on a genre Nintendo has made popular..but as far as I can see the hardcore titles that have done well have been heavily advertised for the most part.

Without a decent sized marketing campaign I expect poor sales for HOTD:O, Deadly Creatures, The Conduit, Little Kings Story and even MADWORLD. You need to get the casuals on board..and the only way to get them interested is good marketing and lots of it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Taker666 said:
I'd say that was true in regards to budget software,family software, casual software and titles that cash in on a genre Nintendo has made popular..but as far as I can see the hardcore titles that have done well have been heavily advertised for the most part.

Without a decent sized marketing campaign I expect poor sales for HOTD:O, Deadly Creatures, The Conduit, Little Kings Story and even MADWORLD. You need to get the casuals on board..and the only way to get them interested is good marketing and lots of it.
I'd also say Call of Duty WaW proves what you're saying: its sales in the US nearly tripled (IIRC) in its second month, when Wii commercials started airing.

Those two hand cannons will be mine.

I know there's a lot to unlock in the game (as mentioned in the IGN review, first IGN review I've read since Halo 2 came out by the way) any word on whether or not they snuck HotD1 in there?

I know it's unlikely, but a man can dream.

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
McBacon said:

You should have already got HoTD Overkill - mine turned up this morning. Tis lovely :D

Threi

notag
i want this so bad but i don't have the money for both it and SF4, and SF4 has infinite priority over every game this gen :(

horrible timing if i do say so myself. Maybe i can put some money towards it if i trade in ghost squad (I like having only one definitive game per genre per console)

Volcynika

Threi said:
i want this so bad but i don't have the money for both it and SF4, and SF4 has infinite priority over every game this gen :(

horrible timing if i do say so myself. Maybe i can put some money towards it if i trade in ghost squad (I like having only one definitive game per genre per console)

I'm getting both HotD:OK and SFIV, therefore I'm infinitely better than you.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
AssassiN said:
You should have already got HoTD Overkill - mine turned up this morning. Tis lovely :D

Guess they're saving on postage because I'm going to the event.

How is it?

Volcynika

Yeah, when you get the game, put up some impressions if you get the time! I'll link em in the OP whenever I get a chance after seeing some new ones.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Damn, I forgot this was coming out so soon. Between my Dawn Of War II preorder and the two dozen Ecuadoran roses I just bought my girl for Valentine's Day, I'm tapped out til March.

Will those Bang Bang Boxes ever hit the US? I'd love to buy that to play through with my dad.

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
Just some quick first impressions:

• It's very B Movie and there's no sign of SUFFER LIKE G DID type lines yet
  • Lots of things to collect in the levels (such as Golden Brains), not sure what purpose these have yet as i've not played much.
  • The intros to the levels are really over the top and quite funny
  • Plays a lot like previous HoTD games, especially if you turn off the crosshair
  • It has Zombie Clowns. Zombie Motherfucking Clowns
  • There's a lot of swearing, but in a Samuel L Jackson Snakes on a Plane way e.g "I HATE MOTHERFUCKING ZOMBIES"

Oh, and it says in the manual you can't talk about the game on Internet Forums until you've finished the game in the Directors Cut mode.

Volcynika

K.Jack said:
Damn, I forgot this was coming out so soon. Between my Dawn Of War II preorder and the two dozen Ecuadoran roses I just bought my girl for Valentine's Day, I'm tapped out til March.

Will those Bang Bang Boxes ever hit the US? I'd love to buy that to play through with my dad.

I'm pretty sure someone was told at a Sega event or maybe Comic-Con that the package won't be coming to the US.

Bizzyb

Banned
AssassiN said:
Just some quick first impressions:

• It's very B Movie and there's no sign of SUFFER LIKE G DID type lines yet
  • Lots of things to collect in the levels (such as Golden Brains), not sure what purpose these have yet as i've not played much.
  • The intros to the levels are really over the top and quite funny
  • Plays a lot like previous HoTD games, especially if you turn off the crosshair
  • It has Zombie Clowns. Zombie Motherfucking Clowns
  • There's a lot of swearing, but in a Samuel L Jackson Snakes on a Plane way e.g "I HATE MOTHERFUCKING ZOMBIES"

Oh, and it says in the manual you can't talk about the game on Internet Forums until you've finished the game in the Directors Cut mode.

:lol

Day 1

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
Oh, and the song playing on the title screen when you first start up is called Critics Choice or something like that, and it's got the announcer saying things like

"The Critics Agree that House of the Dead Overkill is the best motherfucking game ever"

AssassiN said:
Oh, and the song playing on the title screen when you first start up is called Critics Choice or something like that, and it's got the announcer saying things like

"The Critics Agree that House of the Dead Overkill is the best motherfucking game ever"

LMAO! Awesome! I can't freaking wait!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Wow this sounds awesome. So what is, hands down, the best light gun accessory I'll need for my future as a Wii on rails shooter fan?

[Nintex]

AssassiN said:

I like the song with "I'm not your daddy, I just kinda fucked your mom" better. That shit is gold!

Top Bottom