• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii) Thread -- It puts the 'hot' in shotgun!

sinseers

I got it yesterday. The dialouge is hilarious. The music has instant classic written all over it. The graphics are pretty darn good for the Wii. BUT..............................................................................Headstrong..........HEADSTRONG........ARE YOU LISTENING?.............................. The environment is NOWHERE NEAR as destructible as HOTD 1, 2 or 4 (I have not played HOTD 3). For THAT I have to take some MAJOR points off. Sega shooters overall have pretty much prided themselves on nearly 100% environmental destructability. So when along comes Overkill without carrying the same tradition, gamers like me take notice. With that said, I am enjoying Overkill. It's a nice stop-gap on the way to Madworld. Just remember Headstrong and anybody else handling Sega shooters from now on..................WE WANT DESTRUCTIBLE STAGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sin*

birdchili

i don't think it's so much the swearing that's offending people:)

the text of the 1up review is pretty on, actually - the slowdown does hurt the gameplay in spots. hotd2 is so snappy and responsive, so any sort of delay here is pretty noticeable. the level of swearing and general offensiveness is more over-the-top funny than actually bothersome (minor spoiler)
particularly given the deconstruction of everything during the ending

you *could* beat this in a rental just to see the story, but that really misses the point: this is a high-score game, and half the fun is cranking up the combo meter and nailing the slow-mofo at exactly the right time for maximum effect.

i beat it last night (co-op) and plan to fire it up as soon as i have a chance tonight for some director's cut and minigame action. after seeing the way the main ending plays out, i'm doubly interested in mowing my way through a bunch of mutants to the surely different finale of the director's cut.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
sinseers said:
I got it yesterday. The dialouge is hilarious. The music has instant classic written all over it. The graphics are pretty darn good for the Wii. BUT..............................................................................Headstrong..........HEADSTRONG........ARE YOU LISTENING?.............................. The environment is NOWHERE NEAR as destructible as HOTD 1, 2 or 4 (I have not played HOTD 3). For THAT I have to take some MAJOR points off. Sega shooters overall have pretty much prided themselves on nearly 100% environmental destructability. So when along comes Overkill without carrying the same tradition, gamers like me take notice. With that said, I am enjoying Overkill. It's a nice stop-gap on the way to Madworld. Just remember Headstrong and anybody else handling Sega shooters from now on..................WE WANT DESTRUCTIBLE STAGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i'm yet to play overkill, but re previous games i'd strongly disagree: in hotd2 there are plenty of things to shoot, but it's all designated objects, nothing environmental. basically, you can always guess what's shootable and what's not. you can't just start spraying around and bring mayhem and destructon. not to mention that UC has notably more interaction with the enviornment that what's been traditional for the hotd series..

birdchili

i miss having things to shoot in the environments, even though it would go directly against the scoring/combo system. it'd be nice if they put it in to give you a few fun things to do with the machine gun other than lower your score. they could give a vandalism score bonus so you could either play as a sharpshooter, or as someone who has a bunch of guns with infinite ammo and some mental instability.

Wow finished this with a buddy last night and then we got about halfway through directors cut!

Awesome on-rails shooter. This game takes it to the top. As far the directors cut, its cool because it does indeed take you to different areas in the levels. Its a shame the cutscenes are the same though (heres hoping for a additional ending). I perticularily liked the addition they added to the
hospital level where you run into the boss mid level and she blows all the windows out.

Definetly glad to have this game in my collection and it racks as one of my favorite light gun type games ever. Also for those that beat the game, make sure you stay after the credits. The "press A to skip" message at the top right of the credits could leave you to beleive there is nothing more after...:D

Teknoman

blu said:
i'm yet to play overkill, but re previous games i'd strongly disagree: in hotd2 there are plenty of things to shoot, but it's all designated objects, nothing environmental. basically, you can always guess what's shootable and what's not. you can't just start spraying around and bring mayhem and destructon. not to mention that UC has notably more interaction with the enviornment that what's been traditional for the hotd series..

Yeah House of the Dead 2 only had a few barrels, windows, and some boxes that were breakable. Maybe the signs on the sides of the building and a few lamp posts could be knocked around, but thats about it.

akakaze

Banned
I'll agree with the sentiment that it really doesn't feel like a HotD game. For some reason it just doesn't feel as "tight". The graphics are good (for a Wii game) and the Grindhouse feel is unique. It's pretty obvious that a Western team made this as opposed to the original HotD team both in terms of its different feel and subject matter. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just different.

sinseers

Teknoman said:
Yeah House of the Dead 2 only had a few barrels, windows, and some boxes that were breakable. Maybe the signs on the sides of the building and a few lamp posts could be knocked around, but thats about it.

Play HOTD 2 AGAIN and then go play Overkill......There is a NOTICEABLY.....downturn in interactive environment. I probably mis-spoke a little in terms of 100% destructibility but there is no denying the other HOTD games that i personally played (HOTD 1, 2 and 4) have WAAAAAAAAAAAAY more things to shoot in the environment than Overkill.

Sin*

pakkit

Banned
billy.sea said:
1up has a different standard when rating Wii games, they are much harsher to Wii games as compare to other systems. Just read the reviews instead, it is mostly praise but their score always seem disappointing. It's as if they are not allow to give Wii games a good score.
I'm pretty sure they have the same standard as everyone, it's just that sites like gamerankings and metacritic have no idea how to attach numbers to letter grades.

And for those playing, did anyone notice how Level 2
is a blatant homage to F.E.A.R.'s Alma? She appears several times throughout the level including a frame jump in the elevator, jumping up behind a glass screen, and being visible in the distance. I loved that boss fight, too.

tim1138

Picked this up last night and I'm up through the Fetid Water (the swamp) chapter. I've been playing solo and having an absolute blast with this game. The over the topness of the narrative and dialogue works so well with the presentation of the game and it's an absolute joy to play. I do miss having random objects in levels to shoot up like HotD's past, but it's not enough to detract from the experience for me. It is a shame there are no online scoreboards though (if there are I missed where you access/upload your score).

sinseers said:
Play HOTD 2 AGAIN and then go play Overkill......There is a NOTICEABLY.....downturn in interactive environment. I probably mis-spoke a little in terms of 100% destructibility but there is no denying the other HOTD games that i personally played (HOTD 1, 2 and 4) have WAAAAAAAAAAAAY more things to shoot in the environment than Overkill.

Sin*

Considering the fact that I think the HOTD:OK is pushing the Wii fairly hard. It might have just been a decision made early on. Better graphics with lighting, etc, or destructable enviroments.

Personally if the next game can have the best of both worlds, that would be awesome. As is its still a damn enjoyable game! Some of the most fun I've had on Wii yet!

stuminus3

sinseers said:
Play HOTD 2 AGAIN and then go play Overkill......There is a NOTICEABLY.....downturn in interactive environment.
Why in hell would I want to be shooting at the environment when I could be covering it in blood and chunks of brain and squishy gibs?

sinseers

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Considering the fact that I think the HOTD:OK is pushing the Wii fairly hard. It might have just been a decision made early on. Better graphics with lighting, etc, or destructable enviroments.

Personally if the next game can have the best of both worlds, that would be awesome. As is its still a damn enjoyable game! Some of the most fun I've had on Wii yet!

I am enjoying it for what it is as well. Decent first effort Headstrong. Keep up the good work.

stuminus3

sinseers said:
Decent first effort Headstrong.
Isn't Headstrong just the same Kuju team who did Battalion Wars 2 and GeoWars Galaxies but with a new name? I just assumed so, being that Headstrong were rebranded specifically to work on Wii games... hard to tell though, Kuju have like 8 studios.

markatisu

Well its not like there is nothing to destroy in the game, in the 1st level for example you can shoot down the chandalier to kill all the mutants/zombies below. But I can see compared to say RE:UC where you can shoot just about every damn thing to find bonus stuff it would be lacking.

So far my favorite level is the Carny level, maybe cause I hate clowns with a passion :lol

I am somewhat puzzled that I do not see online leaderboards, Ghost Squad had them as an option and it cant have been that difficult to add that feature in.

So far it's pretty enjoyable. First thing I needed to do is turn off a lot of options like rumbling when you point to an enemy and the moving camera when aiming to make it more playable, but even after that the camera moves around way too much. It's a rail shooter like REUC was, just not complete garbage. I'm not really digging the cutscenes and comedy it tries to go for either. Just for the sake of comparing it to HotD2+3 despite them going for different styles of gameplay, I'd say those games are way more enjoyable.

[Nintex]

stuminus3 said:
Isn't Headstrong just the same Kuju team who did Battalion Wars 2 and GeoWars Galaxies but with a new name? I just assumed so, being that Headstrong were rebranded specifically to work on Wii games... hard to tell though, Kuju have like 8 studios.
I think this team did BWII, this sure is one hell of an improvement on their track record.
first game ever on the Wii to freeze up on me
It crashed during co-op play once, It's pushing the poor Wii pretty hard though, especially the particles and blur effects.

Kevtones

Got it last night:

Headstrong has outdone themselves. This is one of the best games I've played in recent times. The graphics are very strong (details people, details), the music is phenomenal and the gunplay/pacing is fucking fantastic. I haven't had this much co-op fun since my first L4D ventures. The comedy is particularly nice too, I like the sporadic voiceovers that occur during the menu screens, they're incredibly random and funny :lol

Seriously though, this game deserves sales x10000000 - it is truly the 'hardcore' we've been waiting for as Wii owners. It feels like I haven't played something this cool on the Wii since No More Heroes.

Also, from the manual on page 12 under the explanation of Director's Cut Mode:
This mode is only available upon completion of the main game and you are prohibited from commenting on Internet forums regarding The House of the Dead OVERKILL until you have beaten it.

Please buy this game GAF. You won't regret it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Linkzg said:
So far it's pretty enjoyable. First thing I needed to do is turn off a lot of options like rumbling when you point to an enemy and the moving camera when aiming to make it more playable, but even after that the camera moves around way too much. It's a rail shooter like REUC was, just not complete garbage. I'm not really digging the cutscenes and comedy it tries to go for either. Just for the sake of comparing it to HotD2+3 despite them going for different styles of gameplay, I'd say those games are way more enjoyable.
son, did you just call one of the contenders for the lightgun shooter of this gen 'complete garbage'? go wash your mouth with soap.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
stuminus3 said:

Headstrong did BW and BWii but not GWG. I think that was Kuju Surrey?

is there a difference between the shotgun and autoshotgun? i mean, can i just avoid the shotgun and save that 1### points for the autoshotgun? i'm already doing stellar with just my pistol.

and the extra mini-game levels are pretty fun. next to link's crossbow training the target shooting game is probably the best on the console.

blu said:
son, did you just call one of the contenders for the lightgun shooter of this gen 'complete garbage'? go wash your mouth with soap.

no, i called a shitty rail shooter that moonlights as a shitty lightgun shooter a shitty game. if you want to rebute my correct statement, go back a few level, grind up your comments, then come back and continue trying to prove why i'm not 100% correct about RE:UC one painfully slow post at a time.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Damn, I need to buy a hand cannon. You could have won one at the SEGA event for getting a goregasm, but no one could, not even the producer of the game.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Linkzg said:
It's the Nyko Wii remote with a grip handle. It's better than anything before because it uses digital buttons/triggers on the girp and not mechanical.
Anyone know when this new Nyko gun comes out?

I guess I won't be returning the game. Apparently "Cancelled" means something different to GameStop then it does to me, as I got the game plus comic book in the mail today.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
AceBandage said:
Great. I don't even know why people use those peripherals.

Can you even play the game without a peripheral and target cursor? It would seem pretty awkward to aim without a peripheral.

Volcynika

Wario64 said:
Can you even play the game without a peripheral and target cursor? It would seem pretty awkward to aim without a peripheral.

I can, but it is a bit awkward when you're used to using stuff like that for this type of game.

Snaku

Banned
MiniDitka said:

Wow, those cutscenes were very wordy and lengthy. Like they were going for Tarantino, but the dialog was so bad that I wouldn't even expect it to pass water in a Uwe Boll film. I wasn't expecting good writing given the grindhouse approach, but sitting through both of those made me very anxious to get up and go do something else.

markatisu

Nuclear Muffin said:
How does the Wii Zapper feel for this game?

Its great, I have been using it since yesterday. Its comfortable and its easy to shoot and swap out guns using the nunchuck Z button

If you liked the Wii Zapper with Ghost Squad and HoTD 2/3 Returns you will like it with HoTD Overkill
Wow, those cutscenes were very wordy and lengthy. Like they were going for Tarantino, but the dialog was so bad that I wouldn't even expect it to pass water in a Uwe Boll film. I wasn't expecting good writing given the grindhouse approach, but sitting through both of those made me very anxious to get up and go do something else.

Thats because you are not playing the game, when you are playing it the atmosphere and the music that accompanies the scenes and the game makes the dialogue tolerable

Volcynika

Actually I just watched the review and they didn't really mention the graphics directly, just the fact that the game seems kinda dark at times and hard to see. Anyone else think the game's not bright enough or anything?

Volcynika

Zoramon089 said:
Uhh, not once did they say anything negative about the graphics...they just said it was too dark sometimes

I was just copy pasting, and it was up before the actual review went on X-Play, aaaaaand I just mentioned it too. :p

AceBandage said:
Great. I don't even know why people use those peripherals.

Haven't played this game yet, but after playing House of the Dead 2+3 and Ghost Squad with the Perfect Shot I'd never go back to just the Wiimote. Feels terrible imo.

stuminus3

Volcynika said:
* Subpar wii graphics
Whaaaaaaa....?

This is by far one of the best looking games on the Wii. The only real complaint anyone could have is that it often stutters (oddly sometimes with only one zombie on screen, but a section with 10 zombies stays smooth). Some of the animation can be a bit jerky too, but there's usually too much going on for that to matter. Other than that it looks fantastic.

Top Bottom