• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii) Thread -- It puts the 'hot' in shotgun!

D-X

Shit - local store out of the Collector's Edition! I'm STILL waiting for the hardcore i've been waiting for!

beje

Banned
D-X said:
Shit - local store out of the Collector's Edition! I'm STILL waiting for the hardcore i've been waiting for!

That's what preorders are for. Most stores only get as many collector/special/whatever editions as they got preordered

birdchili

SilverLunar said:
So what is the better game, this or Umbrella Chronicles?? I am lost choosing between the two and I only can have one ATM.

This swearing is really putting me off too :[
hotd:eek: is more visceral, faster and generally much more of an action game.

uc has more interesting weapon selection (with limited ammo for all but the pistol), a much slower pace with a focus on precision aim, and is a *far* longer and more difficult game.

i like them both, but they almost feel like different genres.

the swearing is deliberately excessive, and bothered me less that i thought it would. i mostly enjoyed the over-the-top tone, though i agree with reviewers that say that the humor misses the mark quite a few times.

it *is* a bit concerning that sega's giving wii owners this and madworld as more "hardcore" wii games, when they really seem aimed a bit more at teenagers with fake id.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
GDGF said:
Saw a commercial for this a few hours ago. Sega even tacked on a coming soon bit for Madworld. A bit of a two in one.

Just saw it on Spike during CSI:NY.

There was a GameStop logo at the bottom on the final screen too.

Volcynika

ZealousD said:
Just saw it on Spike during CSI:NY.

There was a GameStop logo at the bottom on the final screen too.

So I've seen it on Adult Swim and now you saw it on Spike. Good to see these games are getting at least some advertising.

I'd like to see these, but I never watch those channels anymore (AS fails as a program block these days).
Hope someone YouTubes them soon.

Teknoman

Wow. Never thought i'd see the day where we couldnt keep a lightgun shooter in stock. Everytime Overkill comes in, we sell out by the next day. Granted we only get 3-4 per shipment, but still.

Volcynika

Teknoman said:
Wow. Never thought i'd see the day where we couldnt keep a lightgun shooter in stock. Everytime Overkill comes in, we sell out by the next day. Granted we only get 3-4 per shipment, but still.

Nice! Anecdotal evidence, but still good to hear.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So I am considering doing some trade-ins to get this. My question is if I include Ghost Squad in the trade will I regret it. I like having a game that I can just pop-in and shoot stuff, and Ghost Squad has been serving this purpose very well so far. Will HOTD fill my random lightgun blasting needs like Ghost Squad currently does, including functioning as a party game?

poppabk said:
So I am considering doing some trade-ins to get this. My question is if I include Ghost Squad in the trade will I regret it. I like having a game that I can just pop-in and shoot stuff, and Ghost Squad has been serving this purpose very well so far. Will HOTD fill my random lightgun blasting needs like Ghost Squad currently does, including functioning as a party game?

There are minigames in HotD that include like survival and such, where you just try and stay alive. Up to 4 players, I believe.

Threi

notag
poppabk said:
i would like to know this as well. My plan was also to trade in Ghost Squad for HOTD.

stuminus3

poppabk said:
My question is if I include Ghost Squad in the trade will I regret it. I like having a game that I can just pop-in and shoot stuff, and Ghost Squad has been serving this purpose very well so far.
Don't do it. HOTD is super awesome, but Ghost Squad is freaking Ghost Squad and as such should be cherished forever.

They're both different enough to make it worth owning both.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
There's something to be said about having a number of awesome light gun shooters in your collection, so you're gonna need to keep Ghost Squad.

Sadist

Nah, not a bad person ;) But I wouldn't trade Ghost Squad either. I have it myself and when you compare both games, GS is a bit quicker. But personally, Overkill gives more bang for the buck. Look for some other games to trade m'kay?

And oh yeah, is het me or is
Jasper
the toughest boss in this game yet? I allready faced
the Screamer, Nigel & Sebastian and the Crawler
but I think they are weaker :p

stuminus3

Sadist said:
Jasper
None of the bosses are particularly tough, really. At least not in standard Story mode.

Teknoman

poppabk said:

Wait use this:

EBC3007739.jpg

EDIT: I feel bad since I traded in Ghost Squad for HotD 2+3 Return during its release week. Ghost Squad was cool, but just too easy for me.

But yeah, you need HotD 2+3 in your library as well. HotD 2 is all kinds of awesome by itself.

beje

Banned
Sadist said:
Jasper

Maybe that's because
the first time you fight Jasper you still haven't upgraded your handgund.

MiniDitka

Sadist said:
Nah, not a bad person ;) But I wouldn't trade Ghost Squad either. I have it myself and when you compare both games, GS is a bit quicker. But personally, Overkill gives more bang for the buck. Look for some other games to trade m'kay?

Jasper

I've finished the game and thought
Jasper
was the toughest boss.

birdchili said:
it *is* a bit concerning that sega's giving wii owners this and madworld as more "hardcore" wii games, when they really seem aimed a bit more at teenagers with fake id.

To be honest, that would describe the eventual (intended?) audience of most games labelled as "hardcore" or "mature", so I wouldn't worry.

Sadist

beje said:
Maybe that's because
the first time you fight Jasper you still haven't upgraded your handgund.
Well, at first I thought so too but when I faced him again with
my upgraded handgun
he still was pretty tough. Surprised me a lot.

pakkit

Banned
Teknoman said:
Wait use this:

[img.]http://www.gamestop.com/gs/newnews/fsi/images/EBC3007739.jpg[/img]

EDIT: I feel bad since I traded in Ghost Squad for HotD 2+3 Return during its release week. Ghost Squad was cool, but just too easy for me.

But yeah, you need HotD 2+3 in your library as well. HotD 2 is all kinds of awesome by itself.
Can I actually use that image? Or do I need to find my own coupon?

tim1138

MiniDitka said:
I've finished the game and thought
Jasper
was the toughest boss.

I agree, that may have been the only boss I died at actually--at least in the standard Story Mode, haven't started the 2nd chapter yet in Directors Cut.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Teknoman said:
Wait use this:

I was gonna use the trade 3 get $10 extra deal, with game 3 being either Zack and Wiki or Ghost Squad. I love Ghost Squad, but have played through nearly all its content, whereas I have only played maybe 1/3rd of Zack and Wiki and have had it for a year, its one of those games I like but never feel like playing. Maybe I will try and play through the rest of Zack and Wiki next week and then trade it in.
PS Not sure how long you played Ghost Squad but the difficulty does ramp up as beat it multiple times although infinite continues makes the difficulty kind of mute.

boiled goose

good with gravy
got it today.

played through first two stages.

pretty good, ridiculous fun.

The game does have some slight technical issues though... there is a bit of framerate slowing and also the model swapping is sometimes strange. none of them are particularly bad since the game is so ridiculous to begin with. (kinda like slowdown in no more heroes where it almost felt good since it felt like you were just cutting up too many enemies at once :lol )

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So I was having a riotous time playing the game, then it freezes on stage 2. All it's got on my TV at the moment is a black screen with some red and light grey squares in the upper left corner.

What the hell? It's a great game and funny too, but it's glitchy as a motherfuckin' glitchy thing. I need to rip somebody's balls off.

beje

Banned
Now that I remember, has anyone noticed before the first boss fight that
Jasper gets bitchslapped so hard that his glasses fall to the floor, then he appears with glasses on again and when the camera changes they're gone once again?
Intentional raccord-error or stupid bug nobody at the testing team noticed?

beje said:
Jasper gets bitchslapped so hard that his glasses fall to the floor, then he appears with glasses on again and when the camera changes they're gone once again?

Obviously intentional, as they made such a big deal about it. It's perfect for a grind house movie though.

birdchili

Cosmonaut X said:
To be honest, that would describe the eventual (intended?) audience of most games labelled as "hardcore" or "mature", so I wouldn't worry.
fair enough, but what about what *I*
mothfuckin'
want!!!!
beje said:
sooo intentional. (and awesome)

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I'm not liking the Perfect Shot at all. Went through the first level twice. Once using it and once with just the wiimote. Was way more accurate with the wiimote.

Game is awesome though. :D

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
beje said:

The producer himself pointed it out as intentional.

pakkit

Banned
Teknoman said:
Should be able to print and use the image.
Yeah, I traded in Tenchu: Shadow Assassins (Great rental) and Sam & Max: Season One (Great rental) for Deadly Creatures. Thanks!

D-X

The swearing has single handedly offended everyone else in the house. They went a little overboard on it.

D-X said:
The swearing has single handedly offended everyone else in the house. They went a little overboard on it.
Wait until they get a load of the final cutscene :)
Beat it yesterday and have to say the Perfect Shot is nice but i'm almost certainly getting the Hand Cannon as the softer grip will be easier on my hands than the solid Nyko chassis.
Great game, the swearing did start to grate at times but they always had a few good laughs to make up for it and it's worth letting the credits roll when you finish. Go make a cuppa if you don't want to listen to the lovely music and watch names scroll by, it's worth it.

GC|Simon, you'll scream through it quickly on standard and i'd say it will last about 3-4 hours maybe? Last night I'd play it for a few chapters then have a chat with my housemates then go back to do some more so it took me a while but i wasn't rushing it.
Of course once you complete it you get the Director's Cut which has extra scenes and other difficulty tweaks so there's plenty of replayability and shooting Clowns never gets old :)

Thrakier

Am I the only one finding the calibration completly useless? I mean it's kinda hard to aim on those things and if you miss, your calibration is even worse? Also there seems to be no way to reset the calibration setting. It's playable without croshair but you loose your precision aiming almost completly. It's kinda hard to shoot items which are far away, you have to guess the first shot and then try to get closer.

How do you guys play the game? With or without croshair?

pakkit

Banned
Thrakier said:
How do you guys play the game? With or without croshair?
I'm going through it the first time to get all the collectibles with the crosshair and then after that I'll play it without. It depends on your setup but usually mine works pretty well.

Thrakier

pakkit said:
I'm going through it the first time to get all the collectibles with the crosshair and then after that I'll play it without. It depends on your setup but usually mine works pretty well.

Did you use the calibration? Do you know how to reset it? :-/ I would try to configure it but I want to keep the standard calibration if possible...

magiustra

pakkit said:

Do you play with the Wii remote or with the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk?

I bought this yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I liked Ghost Squad but thought it was a pretty limited game. This is much better so far. And I'm loving the faster action compared to Umbrella Chronicles.

PS - First time I used my Wii in several months! I actually had to plug the thing in!

Bebpo

Banned
I think the game is great, but the random framerate skips sometimes break up my combo because the smoothness of the cursor movement suddenly jumps and I miss a shot. >_<

What is the best gun case for the Wii? I'm just using the wiimote now. Also if you plug in a nunchuck can you look around with the nunchuck analogue?

KevinCow

Banned
What the hell. Neither of my Blockbusters are getting this game. And they have huge Wii selections, too. Lame.

And a preemptive Shut the Fuck Up to the "You're killing gaming because you don't buy all your games new and at full price!" folks.

Teknoman

Bebpo said:
I think the game is great, but the random framerate skips sometimes break up my combo because the smoothness of the cursor movement suddenly jumps and I miss a shot. >_<

What is the best gun case for the Wii? I'm just using the wiimote now. Also if you plug in a nunchuck can you look around with the nunchuck analogue?

Didnt they say something about that in the review? Check the manual to be sure.

Top Bottom