• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii) Thread -- It puts the 'hot' in shotgun!

beef3483

VegaShinra said:
Fuck no! Kidding.

The game is awesome. This is the most enjoyable experience I've had with a HoTD title since the Dreamcast version of HoTD 2. The cheesy dialogue and B-rated horror movie presentation is pure win.

So it does, or it doesn't?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
beef3483 said:
So it does, or it doesn't?

The only way would be to skip the cutscenes as most of the swearing are in there, or turn the volume down for the sound since there is still the occasional "im motherfucking still alive" or "no i am not ok asshole" etc during gameplay...

Not to mention some of the menu songs also have swearing...

:lol i think you dont have much choice to just not play this game with kids around.

Teknoman

dkeane said:
God damn reading everyone's impressions are making me want to get this when I don't have the cash. Conundrums!

Fuck cash, buy this mutant massacre shit now!

:lol I couldnt resist. Just finished an awesome extra mutant two stage co-ops section.

Check out Cheap Ass Gamer for extra help.

Sadist

Yeah, the Directors Cut is harder. You need two to three shots to kill a mutant. But it's more fun though. But in the regular story mode, I like the more mutants option as well.

Thrakier

Thrakier said:
It's much better than RE.

I can not get this thing calibrated! If I aim at the middle it's fine, it feels and looks like the crosshair is there I'm pointing at. But then I go a bit to the left or the right and the crosshair is more to the left or right than I'm pointing. I hope you guys get what I mean. XD The calibration sucks big time and there is no way to reset it to the default calibration. Can anyone give me any tipps please!? There must be a way to get it at least 90% right...

Anyone!??

pakkit

Banned
Thrakier said:
Anyone!??
Try messing with the Wii system's calibration options, (including changing the orientation of the sensor bar, sensitivity) or at worst try fiddling around with your set up so that the sensor bar is in an area away from interference.

Thrakier

I don't have problems with interferences. The problem is that the calibration of the game is broken. But that's probably just because the sensor bar system isn't perfect to begin with, maybe it's not possible to get it any better.

Count me in the camp of loving it. Finished it on story mode last night and had great fun. I love the tone, and most importantly its a very satisfying lightgun shooter. The combo system is great if occasionlly spoiled by slowdown while in the midst of unleashing fury. Speaking of slowdown, its the only thing that really annoys me about the game although it can be easily overlooked due to the amount of fun to be had. But what irritates, and is a pet peeve, is that much of the scenes containing the most significant slowdown involve fire or other effects such as fog. Now the game looks great without these, so why oh why, if these effect cause the engine to chug, aren't they just removed. I would much prefer it play smoother and to sacrifice an effect or two, especially as it looks great anyway.

But it really doesn't hamper the enjoyment of the game, the music is fantastic, the guns feel meaty, the game flows nicely, the combat is satisfying, the game is long for a typical arcade lightgun game with lots of replayability, the voice acting cracks me up and the handcannon makes me smile, really motherfucking like it. Haven't had a chance to try it 2 player yet, so looking forward to that, its a shame there are no online scoreboards. I hope it sells well so they release another. I would like more of the same except without slowdown and a few more mini games. This and Flower (which is a bizarre combination) are the two games that have got me back into playing after a month or two of struggling to start anything.

D-X

The soundtrack is pretty incredible too especially Varla's theme and the Johnny Cash like - "I'm not your daddy I just fucked your mother" song

LOcKY

I feel if possible they should allow to have graphic options in the Options menu to turn of filters or other things if it improves FPS.

Im only saying this if they are really on a tight deadline and unable to resolve FPS issues however im sure if they had abit more time they would have ironed out the small FPS problems.

japanese made games on the other hand.....

Chesh

I played this recently and by and large I really liked what they had made, but I did have a problem with the game feeling unresponsive at times when it came to rattling off shots quickly. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I know the game is a bit jumpy in places (due to loading within stages I think) but it wasn't that.

It could be that there is a brief enforced pause after reloading and being able to shoot. Has anyone else noticed this?

I'm still gonna pick this up, played the first two stages and really enjoyed it. Congrats to the team, and sorry if this has already been covered.

Playing with the hand cannon and the pointer cursor turned off seemed to make it so much more enjoyable.

D-X said:
The soundtrack is pretty incredible too especially Varla's theme and the Johnny Cash like - "I'm not your daddy I just fucked your mother" song

:lol :lol Awesome song.

There is a song I heard one time and never heard it again in the menu, HotD Main theme or something like that was called, where they sing nearly all the song shouting "HOUSE OF THE DEAD!":lol
It only happened when I first booted the game, right next to the critic commentaries when you are writting your name "A critic says its fucking good...", "Another critic says is mother fuckin good..."

BTW, I would love to have the OST.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Maase said:
I don't want another game like RE:UC, which is fairly possible, as the theme is the same.

Things I hated in RE:UC:

-Too Slow
-Too repetitive
-Nothing inovative, only plain shooting and plain shooting, over and over again.

Too slow = true
Too repetitive = what you mean?
Only plain shooting = Oh, you don't like light gun games, fairly simple mate.

This game is not for you, nothing wrong with that but it's obvious you don't like LGGs.

Chesh said:
I played this recently and by and large I really liked what they had made, but I did have a problem with the game feeling unresponsive at times when it came to rattling off shots quickly. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I know the game is a bit jumpy in places (due to loading within stages I think) but it wasn't that.

It could be that there is a brief enforced pause after reloading and being able to shoot. Has anyone else noticed this?

You can upgrade your weapons to improve reload speed and fire rate, as well as clipsize damage and recoil. That could be the problem.

markatisu

Chesh said:

I have seen that on a few rare occasions, but only when I was using underpowered guns. It has never happened on a near maxed or completely maxed gun.

Did you have the guns you were using maxed out?

Chesh

markatisu said:
I have seen that on a few rare occasions, but only when I was using underpowered guns. It has never happened on a near maxed or completely maxed gun.

Did you have the guns you were using maxed out?

Could be something to do with that, it was literally the first time the game was booted and a few of us were taking turns going through the first two stages. I think at the end of stage one I upgraded a gun's power but that was it basically.

Looking forward to getting the game and playing some more. Was pretty hectic in two player, can't imagine what four players is like :)

markatisu

Chesh said:
Could be something to do with that, it was literally the first time the game was booted and a few of us were taking turns going through the first two stages. I think at the end of stage one I upgraded a gun's power but that was it basically.

Looking forward to getting the game and playing some more. Was pretty hectic in two player, can't imagine what four players is like :)

When you play again try upgrading the recoil speed and fire rate to max and I bet the problem for the most part goes away

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Thrakier said:
I don't have problems with interferences. The problem is that the calibration of the game is broken. But that's probably just because the sensor bar system isn't perfect to begin with, maybe it's not possible to get it any better.
Are you using the Wiimote alone, because it will never work properly with that. You need to have a gun shell for the calibration to be effective. However I don't have this game yet so I don't know if there really is a bug in the calibration or not. Do you have any other games like Ghost Squad and can you get it calibrated in that?

Just finished the Director's Cut mode...and now I just can't stop playing this. Because not only is this game incredibly fun and addictive, the music absolutely rocks, the writing is hilariously cheesy, and the style is pretty much spot on through and through. Two thumbs up for the folks at Headstrong Games and SEGA, because that's an awesome game they've made here. Really can't wait to see what they put out next... (I'm here day one for HotD: Overkill 2. Just saying.)

stuminus3

Banned
I cannot get enough of this game, I'm totally addicted. There's just something incredibly satisfying about getting some slo mofo time, and popping off five headshots in a row, I could do it over and over again.

Regarding calibration - a tip for widescreen users. You may have noticed you aim is off a little when you point to the sides of the screen; this is because the Wii sensor bar is actually meant for reading movement on a 4:3 screen, the calibration tool doesn't seem to take that into consideration. If you aim just a tiny bit to the left of the top-right target, and just a tiny bit to the right of the bottom right one, you'll find it to be much more accurate.

To the guys still having trouble, make sure you're leaving enough vertical distance between aiming at the top and bottom target.

I had trouble with it at first (which was weird because I didn't with Ghost Squad or HotD 2+3), now I've got it set to the point where it feels as good as a real arcade. Now I just need to know what does a brother gotta do to pacify a bitch???

Jme

The more I play this the more I think this might be my favorite HotD game yet. Fitting it into the style of a grindhouse film, and really sticking to that concept with little touches like the voice over announcer, and the "Feature Presentation" screen, etc. work extremely well for the natural cheese this series is known for. It feels a lot less like an arcade game, probably because it's not a port of an arcade game, but still. There's a lot more dialog, and story line making the entire experience just a touch nicer than the previous works. Plus, I mean, dual handguns. That's been a wet dream of mine since the first LG arcade unit I stepped up to.

Thrakier

poppabk said:
Are you using the Wiimote alone, because it will never work properly with that. You need to have a gun shell for the calibration to be effective. However I don't have this game yet so I don't know if there really is a bug in the calibration or not. Do you have any other games like Ghost Squad and can you get it calibrated in that?

I'm using a gun shell but I don't know how this makes a difference. I tested it without a gun shell and if anything I was more precise with just the wiimote in my hand...

stuminus3 said:
I cannot get enough of this game, I'm totally addicted. There's just something incredibly satisfying about getting some slo mofo time, and popping off five headshots in a row, I could do it over and over again.

Regarding calibration - a tip for widescreen users. You may have noticed you aim is off a little when you point to the sides of the screen; this is because the Wii sensor bar is actually meant for reading movement on a 4:3 screen, the calibration tool doesn't seem to take that into consideration. If you aim just a tiny bit to the left of the top-right target, and just a tiny bit to the right of the bottom right one, you'll find it to be much more accurate.

To the guys still having trouble, make sure you're leaving enough vertical distance between aiming at the top and bottom target.

I had trouble with it at first (which was weird because I didn't with Ghost Squad or HotD 2+3), now I've got it set to the point where it feels as good as a real arcade. Now I just need to know what does a brother gotta do to pacify a bitch???

So please tell me now how I should aim a tiny bit to the left or right when I can not see exactly where I'm aiming because there is no croshair in the calibration screen... ;) Also, I don't have a top right target. It's in the top left and down in the right corner. My aiming is slightly off to the sides. And I did it now like 1000 times.

I don't get what you mean with your "vertical distance" comment. :)

Dash Kappei

Thrakier said:
Anyone!??

You know (just asking) that to calibrate properly you have to aim keeping your arm still and just moving the wrist to shoot on the display's corners, right?

Maybe that's your problem.
Have you got any other Sega's lightgun games (Wii)?

It's also important that the pointer-to-sensor bar calibration is finely set-up on the Wii itself.

stuminus3

Banned
Thrakier said:
So please tell me now how I should aim a tiny bit to the left or right when I can not see exactly where I'm aiming because there is no croshair in the calibration screen... ;)
Uh... that's kind of the point... if there was a cursor, you wouldn't be calibrating, you'd just be pointing and selecting...

You point the Wiimote in the way you think it should be pointed to hit the target depending how you're sitting / standing... dunno how else to explain it, sorry.

Thrakier

Yeah, that's how I did it and it works kinda...it's just not 100% precise but your brain adjusts to it. In the middle is mostly fine but to the corneres theres definitly a difference.

The calibration sucks because there is just a lot of luck involved. There has to be another way to do this.

Dash Kappei

Thrakier said:
Yeah, that's how I did it and it works kinda...it's just not 100% precise but your brain adjusts to it. In the middle is mostly fine but to the corneres theres definitly a difference.

The calibration sucks because there is just a lot of luck involved. There has to be another way to do this.

There's no luck involved, at most you could say it requires some skill, you just need to aim better. Can you tell us what gun shell you're using and (again) if you've got any other Sega LG games?

Thrakier

Dash Kappei said:
There's no luck involved, at most you could say it requires some skill, you just need to aim better. Can you tell us what gun shell you're using and (again) if you've got any other Sega LG games?

Sure there is luck involved because if you don't have ANY feedback where you aim (even no iron sights) then you just don't know if and how precise you hit. It's trial and error imo.

I have a Wii Zapper and an Nyko Perfect Shot. I don't have any other lightgun shooters yet except RE:UC.

kinggroin

Banned
Chesh said:

I'm still gonna pick this up, played the first two stages and really enjoyed it. Congrats to the team, and sorry if this has already been covered.

Playing with the hand cannon and the pointer cursor turned off seemed to make it so much more enjoyable.

First two stages?

Yeah, your guns are pieces of shit ;)

Take a stroll to the Gun shop in between levels. With enough brain cash, you can make the default magnum a serious zombie killing killing machine.

markatisu said:
When you play again try upgrading the recoil speed and fire rate to max and I bet the problem for the most part goes away

With the problem he's having, I wouldn't worry about recoil. That just stops the screen from shaking vertically after each shot.

Reload speed and fire rate are the way to go.

edit: Damn I love this game.

GC|Simon

I love this game so much. It's incredible how fun it is to shoot some parts of the body away (for real splatter use the shotgun, lol).

I hope it sells millions!

maxmars

JodyAnthony said:
this is without a doubt one of the best games I have ever played.

Hm. I have this coming from Play.com together with a second zapper and a perfect shot. It better live up GAF hype.

dodonpalex said:
Webhallen have a couple of copies in stock, right now there are three copies left (after I bought mine)

Guess where I preordered... It was 5 before and now it's three yes. My order? Still under "behandling".
Ahhh! Vad är det för mening med att boka om de skiter i det sedan!??? jaja skit e skit

I don't get this:

Someone said Goldman's voice actor sounded like John McCain. But I just finished the game... where was Goldman?

pakkit

Banned
APZonerunner said:
I don't get this:

Someone said Goldman's voice actor sounded like John McCain. But I just finished the game... where was Goldman?
We were talking about HotD 2. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Goldman is Isaac's FATHER?!?!

Ahh, fair enough. I was really hoping for a last minute lead-in/cliffhanger going into HOTD1. In a way I suppose we got that with the tape recording, though.

I really hope these guys get 'given' this series now and get given a free reign to do another game. I'd like to see a HOTD 1+.

HOTD was obviously much shorter, so they could start the game much earlier, flesh out some of the loose ends from this and then head into the original HOTD 1 plot for the latter half of the game, but obviously all in this new cheesy awesome format. That would be awesome.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
I picked this up today and I seem to be having a strange sound problem. 2P doesn't have any gun sounds and the dialogue for Isaac when playing 2 player is really quiet. It's really strange.

Has anyone encountered this?

Flakster99

Completed the game in both single player and two player mode last night. This game put a :D on our faces, lots of fun.

I especially enjoyed the ending, a twisted, fucked-up, kick-ass homage to the
Metroid
series. Looking forward to replaying this puppy in the coming weeks. :)

Teknoman

APZonerunner said:
Ahh, fair enough. I was really hoping for a last minute lead-in/cliffhanger going into HOTD1. In a way I suppose we got that with the tape recording, though.

I really hope these guys get 'given' this series now and get given a free reign to do another game. I'd like to see a HOTD 1+.

HOTD was obviously much shorter, so they could start the game much earlier, flesh out some of the loose ends from this and then head into the original HOTD 1 plot for the latter half of the game, but obviously all in this new cheesy awesome format. That would be awesome.

Seriously. But keep the classic game themes except remixed Overkill style. Wonder if House of the Dead 4 will ever make it home...

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
As for the future of the series, Sega was coy about the game going to Arcades, and Headstrong really wants to do more work with SEGA. I asked if they would do Virtua Cop, and they said they'd love to.

Top Bottom