• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official House of the Dead: Overkill (Wii) Thread -- It puts the 'hot' in shotgun!

Sadist

McBacon said:
As for the future of the series, Sega was coy about the game going to Arcades, and Headstrong really wants to do more work with SEGA. I asked if they would do Virtua Cop, and they said they'd love to.
Oeh, that would be cool. I don't care which (Lightgun)game Headstrong does next, but I really like their style.

Teknoman

I dunno if Virtua Cop would benefit from a cheesy game style though. Something near future? Sure.

Though what Sega should let Headstrong do is a new Streets of Rage. Co-op of course, but with a early Nineties martial arts action style.

Sadist

Teknoman said:
I dunno if Virtua Cop would benefit from a cheesy game style though. Something near future? Sure.

Though what Sega should let Headstrong do is a new Streets of Rage. Co-op of course, but with a early Nineties martial arts action style.
Nah, no cheesy Virtua Cop; more games from this team. Overkill 2 would be nice, but I'm eager to find out what they can do more.

Maase

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Too slow = true
Too repetitive = what you mean?
Only plain shooting = Oh, you don't like light gun games, fairly simple mate.

This game is not for you, nothing wrong with that but it's obvious you don't like LGGs.

Too repetitive is together with "Too Slow", its just that its so damn slow, and we wait a lot, just to find another type of zombies.
If they want to make me repeat something, at least make me do it in an awesome manner.

Also, I liked Disaster Day of Crisis Light Gun part, so I do like Lightgun Games :3

Teknoman

GDGF said:
I want Headstrong to do a Wii lightgun shooter based on Robocop :)

I'd play it.

Oh and Overkill is neither repetitive nor too slow. Zomb...ahem...mutants actually move at a decent speed yet still with an undeadish gait.

samratty

Been having a lot of fun with this game. I love the combo system. Soon I'll be able to combo through a whole level methinks.

Got to say I love the soundtrack to this. The dubstep track on the Fetid Waters boss had me laughing. Definitely would get the soundtrack if it were released on CD. (Also liking the sound of the Madworld soundtrack as an aside)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Never paid any attention to the story mode in any of the other games, aside from Overkill. Well, that's because Overkill's story is awesome so why wouldnt you pay attention? Point being, does Washington appear in the series again? I know G does and he isn't a rookie, but what's his arc?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
forgeforsaken said:
Sega already has the Aliens license, so I say let them take a crack at an Aliens or even an Aliens v. Predator gun game.
Thats a good idea. I liked the original Aliens lightgun shooter, its about time for more up to date version for consoles.

markatisu

D-X said:

It was #10 this week in the UK charts (higher than any Wii light gun game to date) so if it can retain the same level of sales as HoTD 2/3 Returns (5 weeks on the chart) then it will most likely have sold in the 100-200k range

I really hope it does well (or at least meets Segas expectations) in the US so we can get another sequel, I think there is a lot of potential to use G and Washington again

bartris

Neo Member
Looks like JB Hi-Fi in Australia have stopped taking pre orders for the Bang Bang box. At $89 it was a steal, everywhere else has it for $109. Glad I got mine ordered in time.

Lets pray it sells as expected, I cant wait to get this.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Teknoman said:
I'd play it.

Oh and Overkill is neither repetitive nor too slow. Zomb...ahem...mutants actually move at a decent speed yet still with an undeadish gait.

We were talking about RE:UC.

Jaruru

too much f*** in the dialogs. lol
like the game so far. playing through the
director cut

I wish the gameplay was more smooth, always miss the bonus this way :(

Just thought I'd join in on the bandwagon. Got this day 1 and have been playing it ever since. Beat the directors cut and am now working on the unlockables and getting all weapons. Nice little unexpected bonus is the addition of the minigun to purchase. Anyone get the 'all golden brains' unlockable video yet? I'm wondering if it is a preview for The Conduit or if it will be a letdown...

Also to the people saying the credits end with a phone call that is not correct. It is whats on the cassette tape G picked up at the end of the train level. If you listen closely you can hear him put it in a tape player before it plays.

jibblypop

Banned
this game fucking rules! i finally got the chance to play this 2 player and now i like it even more! My friend got so into it right away which is the sign of a great multiplayer game.
light gun games are the best.

My game is finally on it's way! Should have it in my hands tomorrow. Should have had it last friday but... Atleast I am getting it...

Mdk7

Dead Man Typing said:
Woo hoo! My Bang Bang box has been shipped by JB Hi-Fi, soon this game will be mine.

I need to buy some Wii component cables, quick.
Same here, dvdcrave shipped my box...
Can't wait!

another request for this soundtrack on CD.

do it Sega. DO IT.

'Agent G's Theme' is called 'Suffer Like G Did' and if you don't know why, i pity you.

This game tipped me over the edge into Wii ownership, and so far I love it!

My girlfriend and I were playing it loads last night and its super tech. Love the style, presentation, violence, swearing and of course the gun-play. It plays really well and the variety in the zom... sorry mutants is great. Framerate is a bit shitty at times but never mind.

I got two of the official HOTD gun shells for it which work great.

Playing it makes me want another Virtua Cop, perhaps even a collection. And Confidential Mission too, that was pretty good.

What is the HOTD2/3 collection like on Wii? Play well? Played them to death on Arcade and '2 on DC, but wondering how the Wii ports are?

Teknoman

KennyLinder said:
This game tipped me over the edge into Wii ownership, and so far I love it!

My girlfriend and I were playing it loads last night and its super tech. Love the style, presentation, violence, swearing and of course the gun-play. It plays really well and the variety in the zom... sorry mutants is great. Framerate is a bit shitty at times but never mind.

I got two of the official HOTD gun shells for it which work great.

Playing it makes me want another Virtua Cop, perhaps even a collection. And Confidential Mission too, that was pretty good.

What is the HOTD2/3 collection like on Wii? Play well? Played them to death on Arcade and '2 on DC, but wondering how the Wii ports are?

Plays pretty nice.

CD needs to be done.

Roelatie

I love this game. The directors cut is so much better. it takes longer, more zomb....mutants and a handcannon!

Tonight dual wielding B)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oh man, I'm still so torn on this. I finally got to try a bit of it and I love the style, but damn, the performance issues are horrible. It's like playing a PC game without enough memory in your box. I don't understand how they let this slip through (especially considering that it's actually a very good looking Wii title).

I may still pick it up and try to ignore those issues, though, as it is a lot of fun. It's just that, with a shooter like this, smooth performance is a part of the overall experience.

Anyone catch any deals on this? If I could find it for less than $50 I'd be all over it.

markatisu

dark10x said:
I may still pick it up and try to ignore those issues, though, as it is a lot of fun. It's just that, with a shooter like this, smooth performance is a part of the overall experience.

Trust me after you play through it a few times the performance issues do not really matter, you can still tell they are there but it does not really impact performance (especially with more mutants turned on or directors cut mode)

The game moves pretty fast and so while sometimes you curse because the framerate you get over it and are more focused on maintaining your goregasm (which I think my record is 4mins and that was fucking super hard lol)

Anyone catch any deals on this? If I could find it for less than $50 I'd be all over it.

If you wait about a month Best Buy and Target should have a $39 weekly deal on it, Sega subsidizes the sales regularly as does Ubisoft so just keep an eye on the sales ads or cheapassgamer

Mdk7 said:
Could you please tell me moar about them?

yeah, I'd like to hear more about the gun shell as well. Is it a mechanical solution just like the Nyko Perfect Shot? Is this one more comfortable, larger, have a slot for nunchuk, etc? Spill it!

thefro

Seeing ads all over the place for this now... nice to see Sega getting behind it.

I'll probably end up just renting since Mad World is coming out so soon after this.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
pickwick said:
Hey, Gaf, Is it true that the framerate is better in the others levels than in the first one ? (less freeze ?)

I've encountered that.

Has anyone had a bug on the boss
Mother
where they didn't have a gun? :lol

The technical issues (the stuttering) haven't interfered with my performance in the game. You really do ignore them after a while. If anything messed me up it's how dark the game can be at times. Carny and the end of Papa's Palace are the worst offenders.

What's everyone's opinion on the best level and weapon to achieve a 2 minute goregasm? I did it on Scream Train, but on Ballistic Trauma I achieved about a 3 minute one. A maxed out autoshotgun is the best weapon for it, instant kill and it has a wide target area.

pickwick said:
Hey, Gaf, Is it true that the framerate is better in the others levels than in the first one ? (less freeze ?)

Nope. It seems as though the framerate is unstable throughout the game with no real rhyme or reason - I still get jerky moments on everything from Papa's Palace of Pain all the way through to Overkill in both Story and Director's Cut.

I suspect - though I'm not techy enough to be sure - that the hitches are more likely due to how the game handles loading the long, fairly graphically-intensive stages. It seems as though the momentary judders occur between loading the next area or between waves of zo... mutants and that Headstrong just didn't manage to smooth out the problems with this in time for release.

What's everyone's opinion on the best level and weapon to achieve a 2 minute goregasm? I did it on Scream Train, but on Ballistic Trauma I achieved about a 3 minute one. A maxed out autoshotgun is the best weapon for it, instant kill and it has a wide target area.

Ballistic Trauma, maxed-out shotgun. It's got a massive spread, a decent capacity and one-hit kills - all you have to worry about is timing your reloads carefully and you can get a huuuuuuuge combo.

Top Bottom