• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Tank is the XBLA Game of the Week (PR)

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
The increased number of 1,200 point games could just as easily be a sign of more high production value XBLA games rather than a pointless increase in the price level. Whether or not Death Tank is worth $15 remains to be seen, but I think it's ridiculous to assume that all downloadable games are only worth $10 simply because that's how it was in the past. There are plenty of XBLA games that are absolutely worth $15.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DEATH TANK!

If this game is better than Worms: Armageddon or Gunbound then I would happily buy it at twice that price. It's real time vs turn based though, so that could be an apples and oranges comparison.

I can only speak for myself but I would be happy to see more $15 games being released on XBLA if they were good enough to justify the cost. I am sitting on thousands of XBL points right now because I am extremely picky about my purchases.

I'd be all for "It's Death Tank, STFU" if we hadn't gotten so many things priced at $10 already for which that could be said.

Actually, I say that... But I can't think of very many for which it's true. Rez HD is the only example for which I can say absolutely would have been worth it at $15. Maybe, and I mean maaaaaaaaaybe Ikaruga, and maybe SotN. But otherwise I don't think a single XBLA game released at $10 could have gotten away with a $15 release.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Perdew said:
it's Death Tank. It's such a fantastic game that you used to need 2 games just to play it
Or blow up toilets or something
. I think they know that they have AN audience that'll slurp it up at this price point, trend or no trend.

Oh yeah, I totally see why developers are doing it. Don't get me wrong. I especially see why these guys think it's a good idea--they're doubling down on a limited fanbase. Makes sense to me. I just think it sucks.

Perdew said:
I don't see why digitally distributed games can't go through price discrimination just like retail ones do.

I'd be totally cool with that, except it's not clear that authors can adjust their price at will (manufacturer-protected price drops), it's not clear that Microsoft can adjust authors game prices for them at will (retailer price drops), you can't trade/re-sell games to create a secondary market, and it's not clear who gets what sales data so I'm not even sure people would be able to have the info they need to make that decision if they could.

Roogoo bombed. It hasn't dropped in price. That's not because Southpeak thinks Roogoo is going to suddenly pick up later. It's because they almost certainly don't have the option to tinker with that stuff.

am i the only one more excited about this than sf4? holy crap. and they priced it at 1200 cuz they know damn well this will spread word of mouth guaranteed. such an amazing game. stop being so cheap. comparing this to something like flower? really?

Wow at MS for thinking people are stupid enough to pay 15$ for yet another version of worms... *Reads through the thread* ...Oh.

Tylahedras said:
Wow at MS for thinking people are stupid enough to pay 15$ for yet another version of worms... *Reads through the thread* ...Oh.
Wow at people being stupid enough to not realise the difference between realtime & turn-based gameplay.

Perdew

Stumpokapow said:
I'd be totally cool with that, except it's not clear that authors can adjust their price at will (manufacturer-protected price drops), it's not clear that Microsoft can adjust authors game prices for them at will (retailer price drops), you can't trade/re-sell games to create a secondary market, and it's not clear who gets what sales data so I'm not even sure people would be able to have the info they need to make that decision if they could.

Roogoo bombed. It hasn't dropped in price. That's not because Southpeak thinks Roogoo is going to suddenly pick up later. It's because they almost certainly don't have the option to tinker with that stuff.

Interestingly enough, iPhone games are able to drop prices and run sales all the time. It'd be nice to see XBLA follow suit. I wouldn't be too surprised to see something like that, because no matter what anyone says, MS isn't stupid. They heard complaints about dropping games off XBLA, and they stopped. They'll do what they need to get a working digital distribution model.

FightyF

Banned
Shig said:
Maybe I'm misreading here, but I was a pretty vocal defender of Braid's pricing, not a detractor.

Yeah, I was the detractor.

This could be an awesome online game that will last ages in terms of relevance, so I totally see why 1200 is being charged here.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Perdew said:
Interestingly enough, iPhone games are able to drop prices and run sales all the time. It'd be nice to see XBLA follow suit. I wouldn't be too surprised to see something like that, because no matter what anyone says, MS isn't stupid. They heard complaints about dropping games off XBLA, and they stopped. They'll do what they need to get a working digital distribution model.

Yep. And I expect when that kind of flexibility becomes allowed (and release queues get dropped or minimized) there will be a lot less complaining about price points.

Just because I hate to see so many 'Lame! Worms/Gunbound/Scorched Earth ripoff!!11'-like posts in a Death Tank thread, here's an old post explaining the game from the last DT thread.

MightyHedgehog said:
Do some of you guys still not fucking get it?

Death Tank is NOT TURN-BASED like Scorched Earth or Gunbound or any of the games that came before that...

Death Tank's combat is entirely carried out in REAL-TIME...no turn taking here at all.

The Saturn versions played as follows:

Last man standing-style rounds and everyone starts with the default cannon which takes multiple direct hits to take someone out with. Starting placement is randomized upon every new round. Rounds have a predetermined time before all terrain is settled by phases of 'earthquakes' that level all mountainous earth to the flat baseline at the bottom.

Weapons/ammo/special items purchased before each round with the credits you earn by destroying enemies (with a huge bonus for taking everyone else out in a single round by yourself...a GROOVY kill), and random drops from neutral planes flying overhead (which you can shoot down to prevent others from benefiting from).

The arrows point your shots (with right/left rotation on pad/stick), depict the power of the projectile's traveling force (for distance by the length of the arrow with up/down on pad/stick), and tell you when a currently-equipped weapon is about to reload for firing (by filling up the arrow with a bright green color). Your left and right movement is controlled independently by the L/R triggers. Special items, like the shield and hover are used by a special button (and are both limited in use/time). You can cycle through whatever weapons you currently purchased for and all except for the machine gun (IIRC) have different reload/ready times for (different firing rates...usually the more dangerous, the longer the wait).

Rounds can somewhat randomly be a blitz round where all weapon reload times are reduced greatly to encourage rapid fire shooting and manic terrain traversal for better vantage points and safer cover from incoming fire. After completing the set number of rounds, the winner by overall score will be determined.

Gravity matters and falling over a steep incline or into a deep crack can impede further movement in a direction or trap you until the terrain is either blown away or you are. This where the hover coil special helps or the jump jets which can rocket you up and out, though you can slowly blow the surrounding terrain away to give you something more flat and navigable to escape and reposition. Rolling mines are subject to the terrain's curvature so that it can get stuck in a valley...waiting for some poor tank to fall in on one or more pooled up.

There are randomly placed special items...usually embedded deep into the deformable terrain. There's the blessed item which repels all incoming fire with a certain amount of spherically-radiating resistance from the center of the blessed tank. There's the cursed item which actually attracts all incoming fire including resting mines (IIRC) and is based on the same shape and force of radiating influence as the blessed item. These two items cannot be given up as they are bound to the tank which picked them up until the end of the round. Once a tank which carried one of these two items was destroyed, the item was set free to be given to another (victim or beneficiary). So, in close quarters combat, it was possible to have these items trade players multiple times in just a few seconds when the shit went down.

Nukes (big and powerful explosive)...MIRVs (usually arced rain of multiple normal shots)...Deaths Head (a MIRV with nuclear warheads)...all dangerous potentially one-'hit' kills and all do the most damage to the terrain. Machine gun aims without a penalty to gravity (unlike all other weapons), fire fastest, requires stocking up on ammo to use freely, but does little damage per shot. Rolling mines are as powerful as a standard tank shell, but roll around and can be launched at arbitrary angles for getting those tanks below you on the hill or on the other side of the mountain. The laser, which is like a more powerful machine gun, only awesome. Turrets can be deployed to attack everyone who isn't you until it is destroyed.

Special carbomite rant follows:

There are the annoyingly cheap carbomite purchases...these can be gotten for next to nothing and can stack like a motherfucker. These only kick in once the tank equipped with them has been destroyed. Upon the moment of destruction, an incredibly cheap and ridiculous amount of carbomite (arcing regular tank shell-powered shots) emanate from the piece of shit who bought them in 'random' angles and velocities. Anyone caught by this shit can will likely be fucking robbed of all their dignity. Why? Because these motherfucking things can gain the loser tank who had them credit for kills that result in their cheap-ass bullshit explosion of cheapness and total lack of skill. I've personally witnessed some of the most bullshit jaw-droppingly stupid displays of this weaksauce shit ever in a video game when a skill-less person who pretty much objectively sucked ass at the game had been hoarding these cheap little killers over many rounds to even up scores with one mighty fucking blast of carbomite and gain a fucking groovy kill at the same time. They would waltz into close-quarters with other more skillful tanks knowing full well that they were like a suicide bomber running at a firing squad. No one would dare kill a tank loaded with that shit unless you had a shield handy or were flying way off to the side while launching a mid-air nuke as the only way to be sure. And then I've seen carbomite catch people in mid-air...robbing them of their hard work and skill-based love of the game.

Now, the above pertains specifically to the original Saturn versions...so the XBLA game, coming ten years later, should have seen some rethinking on the only flaw (carbomites...nerf 'em, Snowblind) and some additions.

Again, Death Tank is kind of like Scorched Earth/Gunbound (in that it's very much about positioning and aim)...only DEATH TANK IS REAL TIME and NOT TURN-BASED AT ALL.

NOT TURN-BASED

NOT TURN-BASED

NOT TURN-BASED

NOT TURN-BASED

NOT TURN-BASED

NOT TURN-BASED

NOT TURN-BASED

I don't have a problem with price creep as it accompanies higher-quality and and more in-depth games. Clearly, we're getting those games as SFHD, Castle Crashers, Bionic Commando (even tho it was $10) proves.

My issue, as others have said, is that the prices hardly ever come down. When was the last time MS dropped the price on a few games? Wasn't it last fall after the Summer of Arcade promo? They do it once or twice a year for a handful of games each time. I guess from the dev/publisher point of view, that's a good thing - and an advantage over retail.

My other issue is that at the same time as this happens, we seem to be getting fewer 800 and 400 point games, and the ones that are that price are obviously of lesser quality as they charge more for the games that get the most attention. MS needs to be looking for some quality games it can sell for 800 and even 400 points. It's too bad they've come out and said they are de-emphasizing arcade ports because there's obviously still a zillion arcade titles that people would gladly pay 5 bucks for a straight/not butchered port. IIRC, this was the original intent of the XBLA platform. Anyone recall what the last 400 point game was??

If they would just present a wider variety of titles and types/genres, people would have less to bitch about and more money would be spent and made overall. That way they leverage the full power of the digital platform, especially when you consider the Community Games. It's probably a matter of resources/manpower, though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Son of Godzilla said:
I'd be all for "It's Death Tank, STFU" if we hadn't gotten so many things priced at $10 already for which that could be said.

Actually, I say that... But I can't think of very many for which it's true. Rez HD is the only example for which I can say absolutely would have been worth it at $15. Maybe, and I mean maaaaaaaaaybe Ikaruga, and maybe SotN. But otherwise I don't think a single XBLA game released at $10 could have gotten away with a $15 release.
Those games may not have been as successful at $15 but that has more to do with consumers being very sensitive to price changes on video games than the value proposition. For example, some people were paying $80 for Rez after it became rare. If game prices weren't so constant this discussion would not be going on right now.

Hopefully there will be more discussion of the game than the price after it's released. I would love to hear more about it.

Meier

I'm pretty much over XBLA personally. If it ain't $10 (tops), then I'm not planning on picking it up. Until MS starts to lower the prices (permanently) on catalogue XBL titles, I'll just pass all together most likely.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I've played this for over 10 hours myself and I've enjoyed every minute of it :). It'd be a shame if you're skipping out on this title because of the price.

Dave Long

Banned
Sometimes people suck. That's my explanation for the 1200 points bitching over what may end up being the best multiplayer game on the system.

A quick Wiki checks shows that in the last 7+ months, there have been just 8 400-point games, out of about 45 games overall. The last three were Minesweeper, Crazy Mouse and Gin Rummy, so the $5 games are definitely dreck today compared to stuff like TMNT, Geo Wars or Space Giraffe (hey I liked it) in the early days. But when you really look at the list, most of the 400 point games are not great. The best 400 point games available now are mostly ones that started at 800 and dropped.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
If I get 100 hours of fun out of Death Tank for $15, and 40 hours worth of fun out of some $60 RPG, which was the ripoff?

Great point.

FightyF

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
If I get 100 hours of fun out of Death Tank for $15, and 40 hours worth of fun out of some $60 RPG, which was the ripoff?

Exactly my line of thinking. Plus, I have to reiterate, the game looks incredible and looks like a "remake" done right.

I think a "blanket" statement on games priced at a certain point is just wrong.

Every game should be judged by its merits, not its price. That way, you can truly determine whether a game is overpriced or not.

Dave Long

Banned
jetjevons said:
Death Tank! Butt spank! Your tank! Is a dead tank!
headbang.gif

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
beermonkey@tehbias said:
You shouldn't be buying JRPG's in the first place.

Llyranor

1200????? Where am I going to find an extra 400 pts??????

But I just spent hundreds of dollars preordering full-priced games!!!! Does MS think we're made of money????????????

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Can't say I like the idea of it being 15dollars. But if MS was serious about the arcade hits and dropping price. I wouldn't mind it at all. But games that were released over a year ago still 800-1200 points. Kinda make me depressed

Anyways, with the positive outcry from gaf for the game. I'm going try download the demo and maybe get it

FightyF

Banned
shintoki said:
I'm going try download the demo and maybe get it

I think this is the best way to go about things. Try it, if you don't think it's worth $15, then don't buy it.

Some people seem like they'll just not even try it because it's $15. Their loss, really.

mollipen

Meier said:
I'm pretty much over XBLA personally. If it ain't $10 (tops), then I'm not planning on picking it up. Until MS starts to lower the prices (permanently) on catalogue XBL titles, I'll just pass all together most likely.

This $15 game is going to give me far more enjoyment than a lot of the $60 retail games I've played recently. Mentality like yours is what is keeping digital distribution down; this ridiculous idea that if it's a downloadable game, it MUST be at max X dollars or it isn't worth your time.

bryehn

I was completely unaware of this game until about 10 minutes ago. Looks pretty fun and there's some serious graphical polish there...

Is there a single-player campaign though? Cause $15 (more like 17.50 CAN) is a bit steep for me for a multi-player only title. I'd rather sink my teeth into a 2-3 hour campaign that gets progressively harder (not just multiplayer w/ bots) before going online.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
beermonkey@tehbias said:
You really gonna get 100 hours out of it?

I played Snake for ages on my ancient cell phones, but give me a 1 hour game like Flower any day over that.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I've never played Death Tank, despite having the Saturn version of Duke 3D, so I'll download the demo.

I'm still waiting for OutRun Online Arcade, tho...

FightyF

Banned
dallow_bg said:

Considering that people have been playing it for over 15 years now...yes.

Think about it.

And are you serious about Flower being only 1 hour? Gonna re-evaluate that part of my budget. Maybe I'll ditch that and pick up R-Type.

I've put about 60 hours into ESP Ra De. And that game is what? 20 minutes long? Hell it doesn't even have multiplayer(okay technically it does but nvm).

It's really not difficult to play a "small" game for hundreds of hours provided everything is on point.

Meier

shidoshi said:
This $15 game is going to give me far more enjoyment than a lot of the $60 retail games I've played recently. Mentality like yours is what is keeping digital distribution down; this ridiculous idea that if it's a downloadable game, it MUST be at max X dollars or it isn't worth your time.
I rent my games and buy them if they're worthwhile. I cant' rent DDs, so I've little interest in them.

If they offered a GameTap style service I'd be more interested, but until then it isn't going to work for me. I already blew enough money on Castle Crashers, Braid, etc. that I regretted. Next buy probably won't happen until Puzzle Quest 2.

DuckRacer

FightyF said:
Considering that people have been playing it for over 15 years now...yes.

Think about it.

And are you serious about Flower being only 1 hour? Gonna re-evaluate that part of my budget. Maybe I'll ditch that and pick up R-Type.
Yeah it takes about 90 minutes max to go through Flower. Of course, there's secret leaves and trophies you can collect, but that's it. I'd still get it, though.

anandxxx

shidoshi said:

Downloadable software is non-refundable and non-exchangeable. You're not so much buying a game as a license to play a game. If you grow tired of said game, you can't sell it or give it away. So the actual cost is higher. It would be like if you bought a car, and you weren't allowed to sell it.

Now, some stuff is still worth it, for sure. Some stuff TOTALLY ISN'T, like single-player DLC that gives you 4% more content for 33% of the price (of the full retail product, maybe 100% (or more) of what you paid for it) or things that give us features that would have been free before microtransactions.

I don't know if Death Tank is worth it (the name sure isn't), but they are putting themselves in some seriously esteemed company with the price of their new IP of a sort-of-old idea. Whatever the game is eventually worth, it's the apparent value (from the name, concept, demo) that prospective buyers will judge it by.

Dave Long

Banned
Meier said:
I rent my games and buy them if they're worthwhile. I cant' rent DDs, so I've little interest in them.

If they offered a GameTap style service I'd be more interested, but until then it isn't going to work for me. I already blew enough money on Castle Crashers, Braid, etc. that I regretted. Next buy probably won't happen until Puzzle Quest 2.
There's a demo for every one of these games on XBLA. Are you just being arrogant for the sake of it?

Meier

Dave Long said:
There's a demo for every one of these games on XBLA. Are you just being arrogant for the sake of it?
What does arrogance have to do with anything? That's an absurd and non-sensical descriptor here. There is a difference between buyer's remorse on a physical item and a DD that has no re-sale.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Also the first batch of The Maw DLC is coming this week

"For those wanting more from The Maw, Twisted Pixel Games has announced that a new level called "Brute Force" will be launching this Wednesday, February 18 on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for 100 Microsoft Points ($1.25 USD). Featuring new puzzles, characters, cinematics, and explosive action this level pits Frank and Maw against a new foe: the Brute Soldier, a member of the bounty hunters' elite strike force sent to stop Maw at any cost.

This is the first of three DLC levels that Twisted Pixel Games has been working on ever since The Maw development wrapped last year. "There's a period of time where we're not allowed to touch the game because it's going through certification, but there was more we wanted to do, so rather than calling it a day we threw ourselves into making all new levels," explains CEO Michael Wilford. "We've never done DLC before so it's a bit of an experiment for us, but there seems to be a lot of excitement for it so I don't think we can go wrong."

Each DLC level will expand The Maw storyline by fitting in between the original levels as "deleted scenes". "As with any production, there are always pieces left on the cutting room floor that you wished could have made it into the final cut," says CCO and Director Josh Bear. "We had a lot of half-finished story elements and gameplay mechanics, so we are picking the best ones, polishing them up and making new levels that are bigger in size and scope than the ones in the main game.""

alanias

I love these kinds of games. Does anyone know if it has mixed local/online multiplayer? It'd be great to go online with two of my friends and take on the world.

About the price argument. I have gotten more enjoyment out of my PSN, XBLA, VC and WiiWare downloads this gen than the disc based games. I imagine the increase in XBLA price has more to do with MSoft's new royalty structure than anything else.

dallow_bg said:

I got more than 100 hours out of Death Tank Zwei on the Saturn and I couldn't even play it online. So yeah, why would it be strange to get 100+ hours out of DT XBLA?

I played Snake for ages on my ancient cell phones

I'm talking about a game that I scheduled time to play and organized gatherings with friends because I loved it. Not some piece of shit that I played because I was bored in the dentist's waiting room. Don't even tell me that you are so mentally defective that you call your friends up asking if they can come over at 8pm on Tuesday to play Snake.

Shard said:
Also the first batch of The Maw DLC is coming this week

"For those wanting more from The Maw, Twisted Pixel Games has announced that a new level called "Brute Force" will be launching this Wednesday, February 18 on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for 100 Microsoft Points ($1.25 USD). Featuring new puzzles, characters, cinematics, and explosive action this level pits Frank and Maw against a new foe: the Brute Soldier, a member of the bounty hunters' elite strike force sent to stop Maw at any cost.

This is the first of three DLC levels that Twisted Pixel Games has been working on ever since The Maw development wrapped last year. "There's a period of time where we're not allowed to touch the game because it's going through certification, but there was more we wanted to do, so rather than calling it a day we threw ourselves into making all new levels," explains CEO Michael Wilford. "We've never done DLC before so it's a bit of an experiment for us, but there seems to be a lot of excitement for it so I don't think we can go wrong."

Each DLC level will expand The Maw storyline by fitting in between the original levels as "deleted scenes". "As with any production, there are always pieces left on the cutting room floor that you wished could have made it into the final cut," says CCO and Director Josh Bear. "We had a lot of half-finished story elements and gameplay mechanics, so we are picking the best ones, polishing them up and making new levels that are bigger in size and scope than the ones in the main game.""

yay!!!!:D

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Zhuk said:
Every Saturn owner knows Death Tank is worth 1200 points! getting it :D
There are people that would give up their first born for an update to Death Tank. If this was a limited edition pack in to another game it would probably be on Ebay for $100 right now.

I think MS should start allowing the XBLA prices to naturally decay over time, like they do in retail. That way consumers could spend the maximum amount that they are willing to spend on an XBLA game (i.e. price skimming). They could even time each price drop with a renewed marketing push or DLC.

Top Bottom