• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/16 - 02/22

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
One thing I find interesting when it comes to 3rd parties is that in the West we've seen a lot more support for the Balance Board and now Motion+

In Japan, about the only Balance Board compatible game has been We Ski and we haven't heard a thing about 3rd party Motion+ games.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't know if I consider this "doomed," but if I were a developer, I'd probably just start greenlighting handheld games. And this will mean that the next two years are booked up by DS and PSP at the very least. So it will limit Wii's overall growth potential.

I'd probably give up on the console market. Let someone else take the risk. Like, say, Square Enix.

charlequin said:
Nintendo needed to start securing RPGs and bigger franchises two years ago, when every week I would patiently explain this fact to Media Create and everyone would lecture me about how currying third-party support was beneath mighty Nintendo. :lol What Nintendo needs to do now is cry about how they've ruined their Wii business in Japan through gross negligence and helped all the third-parties screw over their own business models in the process.
Pretty much. Best thing to do now is get them onboard with Wii HD whenever it launches.

Eteric Rice said:
Attempt to get other liked series. Two main games aren't going to cut it. They should be pushing for Persona, Suikoden, Kingdom Hearts, etc.

I've always felt that Atlus should put the Persona series on the Wii as the game seems very fit for it.

Persona series for Wii.

Numbered SMT series for PS3/360/PC.

donny2112 said:
Nintendo's methodology last generation of lending out characters and collaborating with second/third-parties in bringing games to their console is still a sound plan.

No, it isn't. It hasn't produced the software support, either in the form of "Nintendo games" actually developed out-of-house, or in terms of non-Nintendo-IP support from grateful third-parties.

I think that flat out paying for it with money isn't the best way of doing that, however.

It absolutely is when you're Nintendo and your reputation as a partner to third-parties has rightly been in the shitter for an entire decade. Money for exclusives is proven to work, and what's more, it's easy -- you write a check, and a company makes you a game. You don't have to spend nearly as much effort managing the relationship as you do with someone who has good reasons not to want to work with you and who doesn't have a financial stake in sticking around on your console; it's the ideal way to bring in more development when you (a) have all this cash-on-hand that is wastefully sitting around not creating ROI, and (b) you're early on in the console lifespan so you want to kickstart things quickly so that you have solid sales evidence to point to when you move into non-moneyhat favor-currying in the middle stage of your lifespan.

presumably holding back software for Motion+

This excuse sounds more and more fanciful to me the more time passes. I really don't think this has happened; I really do think Nintendo just didn't bother to develop any meaningful software for last year because they got fat and lazy, and that there's no backlog of mysteriously delayed software that'll get crowded in to the back half of 2009.

schuelma said:
I don't think Wii is "ruined" in Japan yet.

I'm willing to say "ruined." We are now officially in "wait for X!" mode, except we don't even have an X to wait for. I'd say we'd need to see something like four major NoA titles announced by summer and four major third party efforts for 2009H2, and I think we can all agree that the chances of those two things both happening is just about 0%.

schuelma

Y2Kev said:
I don't know if I consider this "doomed," but if I were a developer, I'd probably just start greenlighting handheld games. And this will mean that the next two years are booked up by DS and PSP at the very least. So it will limit Wii's overall growth potential.

I'd probably give up on the console market. Let someone else take the risk. Like, say, Square Enix.

I don't see the PSP as that much better of a market, honestly. It has Monster Hunter and a few other high profile 3rd party successes, but overall its not like PSP software comes close to DS. And lost in all the Wii is doomed talk is that PSP hardware sales are way down as well.

schuelma

charlequin said:
I really do think Nintendo just didn't bother to develop any meaningful software for last year because they got fat and lazy, and that there's no backlog of mysteriously delayed software that'll get crowded in to the back half of 2009.

I think there was bound to be a bit of a dry spell- Nintendo released Galaxy, Wii Fit, Smash Brothers and Mario Kart within what, 5 months of each other?

I think the big miscalculation (besides horrid 3rd party support) was thinking that Wii Music/Animal Crossing would have an impact similiar to Wii Fit.

schuelma said:
I think there was bound to be a bit of a dry spell- Nintendo released Galaxy, Wii Fit, Smash Brothers and Mario Kart within what, 5 months of each other?

Which is where moneyhats come in! I feel pretty confident that some of the kinds of vanity throwaway projects we've seen development assistance bring in on 360 (stuff like Tales of Vesperia) could have already been boosting Wii sales for a whole year at this point if Nintendo had any concept of third-party relations.

Scum

charlequin said:
Which is where moneyhats come in! I feel pretty confident that some of the kinds of vanity throwaway projects we've seen development assistance bring in on 360 (stuff like Tales of Vesperia) could have already been boosting Wii sales for a whole year at this point if Nintendo had any concept of third-party relations.

I personally think it's high time Nintendo paid good money to get some SNES, PS1 & PS2 remakes (especially RPGs) on the Wii. They can start with Terranigma.

schuelma

charlequin said:
I'm willing to say "ruined." We are now officially in "wait for X!" mode, except we don't even have an X to wait for. I'd say we'd need to see something like four major NoA titles announced by summer and four major third party efforts for 2009H2, and I think we can all agree that the chances of those two things both happening is just about 0%.

But we were in "wait for x" mode last Fall and voila, Wii Fit caught on. I just think there is a bit of overreaction going on- for most of last year Wii was doing absolutely fine. It was only when Wii Music/Animal Crossing failed to catch on in late November that sales really started falling behind previous years.

We know that Wii Sports Resort is coming this Spring, and we know that Monster Hunter 3, Tales of, Samurai Warriors 3, and probably Crystal Bearers are out this year.

Given the past history of the console, where solid hardware sales were sustained for months based largely on a single game (Wii Sports, Wii Fit), I don't think its that big of a stretch to say Wii sales can regain momentum again based on the lineup we already know of.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
schuelma said:
I don't see the PSP as that much better of a market, honestly. It has Monster Hunter and a few other high profile 3rd party successes, but overall its not like PSP software comes close to DS. And lost in all the Wii is doomed talk is that PSP hardware sales are way down as well.
Yeah, probably. I'd probably be making a girl's fashion game for iphone.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:

The one thing that might entice a lot of developers to the PSP though is that it's become apparently at least *some* kind of new PSP hardware is on the way, and that Sony has made a pretty large pledge to push the system hard when it releases.

Also, they managed to convince western developers to throw some fairly significant support behind it, so I have to assume they have a pretty strong marketing plan to manage doing that, which would hopefully/presumably include a pretty huge push in Japan as well.

I'm not sure if Nintendo has anything similar, especially in terms of majorly advertising products by third parties.

DogWelder

First week sales for the Star Ocean series:

Star Ocean 1: ??*
Star Ocean 2: <400k**
Star Ocean 3: ~390k
Star Ocean 4: ~160k

First Departure: ~115k
Second Evolution: ~90k

*~235k total
**May be inaccurate, info from 2ch.

Spiegel

Comparison time (If I'm not mistaken)

DS was never below 17k (barring shortages)

PSP:

Sub 17k weeks
2007-09-03 15,564 The week before Crisis Core/PSP-2000
2006-11-13 16,690

PS2 was never below 17k (2000-2006)

1cesc said:
First week sales for the Star Ocean series:

Star Ocean 1: ??*
Star Ocean 2: <400k**
Star Ocean 3: ~390k
Star Ocean 4: ~160k

First Departure: ~115k
Second Evolution: ~90k

*~235k total
**May be inaccurate, info from 2ch.
Star Ocean 1: 81.387
Star Ocean 2: 374.482
Star Ocean 3: 386.348
Star Ocean 4: 166.027

First Depature: 115.280
Second Evolution: 90.120

schuelma said:
I don't see the PSP as that much better of a market, honestly.

It isn't. The DS is the only market I would describe as "good" in Japan, and even that comes with some pretty big strings attached.

schuelma said:
But we were in "wait for x" mode last Fall and voila, Wii Fit caught on.

Let me put it this way: just because the Wii happens to have been successfully sustained for quite a long time by virtue of playing host to two of the... let's say ten most brilliant software ideas of all time... that's not a good reason to bet its future success on also playing host to a third.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
charlequin said:
Nintendo needed to start securing RPGs and bigger franchises two years ago, when every week I would patiently explain this fact to Media Create and everyone would lecture me about how currying third-party support was beneath mighty Nintendo. :lol What Nintendo needs to do now is cry about how they've ruined their Wii business in Japan through gross negligence and helped all the third-parties screw over their own business models in the process.

Exactly. These games, if secured right now, wont be out until late 2010 at earliest. Thats not gonna help.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Flying_Phoenix said:
I've always felt that Atlus should put the Persona series on the Wii as the game seems very fit for it.

Persona series for Wii.

I don't see how this is going to work, unless the Devil Summoner team will makes SMTIV or they do some reorganizing.

DogWelder

Captain Smoker said:
Star Ocean 1: 81.387
Star Ocean 2: 374.482
Star Ocean 3: 386.348
Star Ocean 4: 166.027

First Depature: 115.280
Second Evolution: 90.120
Thanks, where did you get your info? I couldn't find SO1 and SO2 sales on Garaph.

schuelma said:
It is not doing fine- it is doing very poorly. It's down to almost PS3 territory which is never good. I think the only disagreement is whether this poor start to 2009 portends doom for the system in the long run. I don't think it does.
I don't think it's doing very poorly at all - or have we all forgotten that there was a time that the occasional sub-100K DS week would set off cries of "Nintendo am d00med" etc.?

This slowdown is happening in the new year and through a very long release drought. No. 1 consoles' sales are much more seasonal (by ratio of total sales) than competitors and this has always been the case. GCN, for example, had steady sales with occasional spikes, as do the PS3 and Xbox 360 today. Right now is a lull that affects the Wii's sales more visibly, that's all*.

Sales will pick up again once the releases start to become more regular.

For the record, I see console sales as following this formula:

y(t) = Q(t) + A(t) + B(t) + C

Where C is a non-zero positive integer (representing a constant "background" demand throughout the console's lifetime), B(t) is a slowly decaying exponential decay (to capture the decline in "background" popularity as the product ages) and A(t) is a sinusoidal function (to capture seasonal events such as holidays) while Q(t) is a series of spiky exponential decays delayed by time to capture big releases.

Right now, for the Wii, the value of Q(t) is very small as to be negligible, as is A(t), leaving us with the equation:

y(t) = B(t) + C

Giving low, flat sales showing a slow decline. dA(t)/dt is probably slightly negative right now as well. Hell, A(t) needn't even be positive in this scenario, cutting into sales the console might otherwise have had at another time of year.

Which (I think) is very similar to the sales functions of each of the other consoles at the moment (since they have relatively few releases and benefit less from seasonal changes). It'll pick up though.

schuelma

charlequin said:
Let me put it this way: just because the Wii happens to have been successfully sustained for quite a long time by virtue of playing host to two of the... let's say ten most brilliant software ideas of all time... that's not a good reason to bet its future success on also playing host to a third.

Point taken..but I do think that the 3rd party support you think Nintendo should have been securing is going to start showing up in the second half of 2009 and could spur things. I agree with you that Nintendo needed big 3rd party games starting last Fall. They are coming late, but I would argue that they are coming.

Rolf NB

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I don't think it's doing very poorly at all - or have we all forgotten that there was a time that the occasional sub-100K DS week would set off cries of "Nintendo am d00med" etc.?

This slowdown is happening in the new year and through a very long release drought. No. 1 consoles' sales are much more seasonal (by ratio of total sales) than competitors and this has always been the case. GCN, for example, had steady sales with occasional spikes, as do the PS3 and Xbox 360 today.
Nah. GCN was much more unbalanced. It did monumental christmas spikes (160k first year, 140k in its third year, second hard to tell because Famitsu combined the weeks, but looks like >100k) but languished around (and later below) 10k weekly for most of the year. None of the current consoles are that extremely skewed towards christmas sales.
Right now is a lull that affects the Wii's sales more visibly, that's all*.
That might still be true.

I think one problem is that Nintendo, as a group of people, is just too small. They can't make enough software fast enough to support a large, diverse userbase, and they weren't prepared for hitting that problem.
We've had news recently that they're moving HQ and that might allow them to expand. It's high time.

test_account said:
I was thinking about something earlier today, are there any 3rd part console games (not handheld systems) this generation that are so to say guaranteed to sell at least 1 million copies in Japan? I guess Final Fantasy XIII and Dragon Quest X at least, but what about beside these 2 games?
Monster Hunter 3 (maybe not guaranteed, but I think it will). And maybe some other Wii games will be surprise hits...but that's much less certain.

But the list being short doesn't mean much; 1m in Japan for a third-party game is very rare. PS2 is arguably the best third-party machine of all time in Japan, and here are its third-party franchises over 1m:

Winning Eleven (4 games)
Dynasty Warriors (3 games)
Final Fantasy (3 games)
Dragon Quest (2 games)
Kingdom Hearts (1 game)
Onimusha (1 game)

bttb said:
The sell-through for "Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope" is over 90%.
Hm. Sinobi's first-day sell-through indicated a first shipment of ~165k. So either there was no second shipment and sell-through was not just "over 90%" but close to 98%, or else there *was* a second shipment, and it was ~15k units. Since the first sounds impossible and the second sounds insane, it'll be interesting to find out which is true. (Or perhaps sinobi was wrong about the first shipment.)

All this week shows us is that the market leading console this generation might not eclipse the GBA.

It shows a general depression of console sales. Anyone terribly shocked hasn't been paying attention to the market this generation. Japan in a big way has become handheld territory this generation.

bcn-ron said:
I think one problem is that Nintendo, as a group of people, is just too small. They can't make enough software fast enough to support a large, diverse userbase, and they weren't prepared for hitting that problem.
There are other questions about how much software Nintendo should be making. Are they already making enough? Would they be making enough if 3rd parties stepped in and helped fill out the calendar? Are they making enough to scare away 3rd parties but not enough to satiate their userbase? Should they run under the assumption that 3rd parties are unlikely to try and compete and ramp up their own production? Should they introduce bare spots in their own line-up well in advance, then make sure that the 3rd parties know that they're coming so that they can compete without having to fear the big bad Nintendo?

I personally think that Nintendo should keep doing what they're doing, and that 3rd parties should come out with strong efforts and try and make them succeed on their own merits, but at the same time I get the idea that some 3rd party publishers see Nintendo as being too strong a competition to face on their own console.

matmanx1

Most interesting "Sales Age" thread I've seen in awhile. Mostly because someone other than Nintendo is on top and because their are so many variables at play here. How will Star Ocean chart next week? Will Demon's Souls drop out of the top 20? How will Yakuza 3 fare? Will the PS3 finally overtake the Wii on a weekly sales chart?

It will certainly be intersting to see!

t3nmilez

icecream said:
SO4 is 8925 yen, not 7182 yen.

This is something that people keep saying for different titles, and I keep trying to explain that no one pays full price for these games in Japan. They're always discounted at retailers or through Amazon, only fools that go to convenience stores or ripoff game stores will pay full list price for a game. 7182 yen would probably be the average price at retailers.

Hell, there's also usually additional savings if you preorder games at certain stores.

Spiegel

3rd party averages (without first party/best/platinum releases)

PS2 1467 games - 159.2 million
DS 395 games - 42.1 millions
PSP 183 games - 21.3 millions
360 136 games - 2.9 millions
GC 97 games - 6.7 millions
Wii 85 games - 5.1 millions
PS3 66 games - 5.7 millions

PSP - 116k
PS2 - 108k
DS - 106k
PS3 - 86k
GC - 69k
Wii - 60k
360 - 21k

Source: garaph

donny2112

charlequin said:
Money for exclusives is proven to work, and what's more, it's easy

If Nintendo were interested in going the "easy" way, they'd have had a Wii Sports 2/Advance ready for Fall 2007 like they had a Brain Training 2 ready 7 months after Brain Training 1. :/

charlequin said:
This excuse sounds more and more fanciful to me the more time passes.

And it may not happen. However about the only other option is that Nintendo is, as you said, being fat and lazy and totally thought they crapped gold on demand (i.e. Wii Music would do Wii Fit numbers). Based on past experience, though, especially when Nintendo announces "Why'd they do that?" hardware (i.e. the DS), they'll have software to back it up, and that fits in rather nicely with the extreme lack of software from them over the past 9 months.

charlequin said:
and that there's no backlog of mysteriously delayed software that'll get crowded in to the back half of 2009.

As discussed before, I think a good portion of the games delayed for Motion+ will be announced but not necessarily come out in 2009. Some of them will, though.

charlequin said:
if Nintendo had any concept of Sony/Microsoft's third-party relations.

Fixed. For better or (in your opinion) worse, Nintendo tends to do their own thing. It's mostly worked out for them so far.

* For the record, I see console sales as following this formula:

y(t) = Q(t) + A(t) + B(t) + C

Where C is a non-zero positive integer (representing a constant "background" demand throughout the console's lifetime), B(t) is a slowly decaying exponential decay (to capture the decline in "background" popularity as the product ages) and A(t) is a sinusoidal function (to capture seasonal events such as holidays) while Q(t) is a series of spiky exponential decays delayed by time to capture big releases.

That's pretty sweet! I like it. :D

matmanx1 said:
Will the PS3 finally overtake the Wii on a weekly sales chart?

That's already happened four times, so far.

Eteric Rice

Flying_Phoenix said:
Pretty much. Best thing to do now is get them onboard with Wii HD whenever it launches.

Persona series for Wii.

I think they need to try to get all of it. Leave nothing for Sony or MS to take on. For so long we've all been thinking, "Well, this should go here, and this should go there." But if I were Nintendo right now, I'd be pushing to take everything I could possibly push for.

starsky

schuelma said:
It is not doing fine- it is doing very poorly. It's down to almost PS3 territory which is never good. I think the only disagreement is whether this poor start to 2009 portends doom for the system in the long run. I don't think it does.

Hmm of course you're right. But do they really need to be worried when they're still beating their competitors by a wide margin? Excluding handhelds, it's fairly rare for other consoles to beat Wii numbers.

I'm certain sales will pick up again when they release something substantial for the console. Wii is not like any other consoles, it can sustain itself without new game for a long period of times. What they should do now which is what I think they're doing already are to focus on their games and 3rd party relations.

The Wii needs some mid-tier franchises to fill in the gaps in the schedule. The difference between it and the PS2 so far has been created by the irregular flow of releases from both third parties and Nintendo itself. The release schedule needs to be stimulated with anime games, low budget RPG's, sports games ect. There has been a surprising lack of these type of games on the Wii, and I think that is really what is hurting the system right now. The "wait for game X" mentality shouldn't be applied to a market leader, instead we should be looking at each week's release schedule and be able to pick out at least one game that will chart well. As of now, we just aren't able to do that.

A step in the right direction would be securing games like Gundam, Dragon Ball, Suikoden, Winning Eleven, Persona, Bleach, One Piece, Pro Baseball Spirits, Breath of Fire, and Super Robot Taisen. I know there have been entries in some of these series already on the Wii, but most have been a.) gimped b.) released multi-platform, and months late or c.) alternatively priced.

April looks promising, but May... not so much. That just shows the epitome of the Wii's problem.

I'm happy with a few things Nintendo has done in the last month though. They finally have shown some signs of life by announcing a new R&D team, building a new studio, and announcing a partnership (whatever it was) with Sora.

Flying_Phoenix said:

Persona series for Wii.

Why would such a niche developer kneecap themselves by splitting their fanbase? They know they've got a devoted following, the most logical thing to do is to stick with one platform near-exclusively so it's easier for said fanbase to buy their stuff.

Also, concerning Wii: I really wonder how Iwata is responding to all this.

schuelma

Stopsign said:
The Wii needs some mid-tier franchises to fill in the gaps in the schedule. The difference between it and the PS2 so far has been created by the irregular flow of releases from both third parties and Nintendo itself. The release schedule needs to be stimulated with anime games, low budget RPG's, sports games ect. There has been a surprising lack of these type of games on the Wii, and I think that is really what is hurting the system right now. The "wait for game X" mentality shouldn't be applied to a market leader, instead we should be looking at each week's release schedule and be able to pick out at least one game that will chart well. As of now, we just aren't able to do that.

Wii has had mid tier games for a while, and they mostly bomb because the userbase for those types of games haven't been built up.

PusherT said:
Since Tri-Ace is pretty much done (IU/SO4/VP:Covenant of the Plume) Nintendo better hop on them and demand VP 4 made for the wii, tri-ace can use silmeria's engine that game still looks ace . If I were Iwata I would ask SE for a Wii Final Fantasy: Tactics game also

With 2D sprites too please.

Eteric Rice said:
I think they need to try to get all of it. Leave nothing for Sony or MS to take on. For so long we've all been thinking, "Well, this should go here, and this should go there." But if I were Nintendo right now, I'd be pushing to take everything I could possibly push for.

I see what you mean but keep in mind that there are a crap ton of demons in SMT. To scale down on all of those as well as the NPC's and enviornments to the Wii would be a pretty arduous task. I just suggest Persona for the Wii as Atlus could just reuse their PS2 models and just beef up the textures and put it on the Wii.

donny2112

Famitsu Feb 9-15

01./00. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo) - 220,055 / NEW
02./00. [PS3] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) - 84,937 / NEW
03./00. [PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui V (Namco Bandai Games) - 39,166 / NEW
04./00. [360] Street Fighter IV (Capcom) - 36,455 / NEW
05./00. [PS2] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui V (Namco Bandai Games) - 31,538 / NEW
06./03. [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 12: PES 2009 (Konami) - 24,716 / 164,974
07./02. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 12: PES 2009 (Konami) - 23,349 / 164,643
08./01. [PSP] Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 (Namco Bandai Games) - 22,878 / 278,279
09./07. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 21,558 / 410,493
10./05. [NDS] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Square Enix) - 20,754 / 158,436
11./00. [PSP] Tenchu 4 (From Software) - 19,589 / NEW
12./04. [PS3] Demon's Souls (SCEI) - 18,712 / 55,506
13./09. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 18,459 / 3,161,145
14./10. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco Bandai Games) - 15,640 / 393,954
15./08. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) - 15,567 / 1,571,597
16./06. [NDS] Detective Conan & Kindaichi Case Files: A Chance Encounter of Two Detectives (Namco Bandai Games) - 13,753 / 38,223
17./11. [WII] Play on Wii: Mario Tennis GC (Nintendo) - 11,522 / 130,393
18./14. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 10,844 / 2,154,819
19./13. [NDS] Wagamama Fashion: Girls Mode (Nintendo) - 10,129 / 745,073
20./17. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 8,304 / 2,334,454
21./19. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) - 8,055 / 1,070,272
22./20. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra Deluxe (Nintendo) - 7,382 / 1,025,808
23./15. [NDS] Chibi Maruko-chan DS Maru-chan no Machi (Namco Bandai Games) - 7,353 / 17,496
24./23. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 6,793 / 3,433,860
25./25. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 6,636 / 4,926,926
26./26. [NDS] Tongari Boushi to Mahou no 365 Nichi (Little Magician's Magic Adventure) (Konami) - 5,724 / 294,481
27./12. [PS3] Midnight Club: Los Angeles (Spike) - 5,522 / 17,866
28./29. [NDS] Momotarou Dentetsu 20th Anniversary (Hudson) - 5,521 / 222,295
29./28. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Saikyou Penguin Densetsu! (A Penguin's Troubles: Strongest Penguin Legend) (Konami) - 5,314 / 215,542
30./30. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5) - 5,310 / 281,528

*. [PS3] Skate 2 (Electronic Arts Victor) - 3,800 / NEW
*. [NDS] Hidamari Sketch: Doko Demo Sugoroku x 365 (Sunshine Sketch) (Idea Factory) - 2,900 / NEW
*. [360] Skate 2 (Electronic Arts Victor) - 2,700 / NEW

Bar Chart Feb 9-15 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2009-02-09

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Misc. LTD Updates
[360] Tales of Vesperia (Namco Bandai Games) - 170,024

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Jan 12-18, 2009
Jan 19-25, 2009
Jan 26-Feb 1, 2009
Feb 2-8, 2009

Pureauthor said:
Why would such a niche developer kneecap themselves by splitting their fanbase? They know they've got a devoted following, the most logical thing to do is to stick with one platform near-exclusively so it's easier for said fanbase to buy their stuff.

Also, concerning Wii: I really wonder how Iwata is responding to all this.

I know know but the game just seems so fit for the Wii.

Regardless I really wonder where the series will go. I mean will Atlus fork over the massive amount of cash for SMT IV on the PS3/360/PC? I mean it sounds like the safest way to go but JRPG's or even just Japanese games in general don't really perform too well on these platforms. The Wii has shown potential for JRPG's on the console (ToS2 and FE) but it's too unproven. Then again the PS3/360 are proven as well, in which they are proven to often have games perform sub 200k and have a horrid world-wide following base I mean the only games that have performed otherwise have been Star Ocean IV and White Knight, but then again Star Ocean IV is well Star Ocean and White Knight is by Level 5 who are very successful with new IP's. Also with the Wii they could just reuse their Nocturne models, but then again would we want to encourage such practices? And again core games with the Wii, especially in Japan, seem to be sink (Tenchu IV, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Let's Tap) or float (428, One Piece, Tales of) (as oppose to sink or rise to heaven in the West) I think the best thing to do would be to see where their fanbase has traveled, because either way the fanbase is going to buy the games anyway (hell their still buying for the PS2).

However what if...what if Atlus puts SMT IV and the rest of the series on handhelds? Could this be what the Persona Remake and that SRPG spinoff be for?

Rolf NB

White Knight Chronicles is the only proof of anything RPG on the PS3. Any other RPG on PS3 is either a late ports of an Xbox 360 timed exclusive (Enchanted Arms, Trusty Bell/Eternal Sonata) or an SRPG (Disgaea, Valkyria Chronicles) ... or Folk's Souls/Folklore. I have no idea why anyone ever classed that as RPG, but there it goes. I can't even think of any other ~RPG released for the PS3 so far. Nothing in the style of SMT in any case.

I think both traditional RPGs and ARPGs can do way beyond 100k on PS3. SCE is probably agonizing right now over their own low expectations for Demon's Souls.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
31. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo)
32. [PS2] Yakuza 2 (Playstation 2 The Best) (SEGA)
33. [360] Street Fighter IV (Capcom)
34. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra (Nintendo)
35. [NDS] Tongariboushi and the 365 Days of Magic (Konami)
36. [NDS] Detective Conan & Kindachi (Namco Bandai)
37. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)
38. [NDS] Momotaro Dentetsu 20th Anniversary (Hudson)
39. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
40. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
41. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master 2: The Seven Island Adventure (Namco Bandai)
42. [NDS] Maruko DS (Namco Bandai)
43. [PS3] Sonic World Adventure (SEGA)
44. [PS2] Clear: Atarashii Kaze no Fuku Oka de (Sweets)
45. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel (Level 5)
46. [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (includes PS3 Bundles) (Konami)
47. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III (SCE)
48. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
49. [WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii (Hudson)
50. [PSP] Dissidia Final Fantasy (includes PSP Bundles) (Square Enix)

SYSTEM COUNT
[WII] - 9
[NDS] - 19
[PSP] - 9
[PS3] - 5
[360] - 3
[PS2] - 5

* = New Chart Available

MC-THREAD-HARDWARE-TITLE.png

Code:
[B][U]Hardware | This Week | Last Week |   YTD   |    LTD    [/U][/B]
NDS      |    51,814 |    68,293 | 731,816 | 25,851,459
PSP      |    29,552 |    34,256 | 441,334 | 11,805,353
360      |    25,334 |     9,833 |  99,072 |    929,612
WII      |    16,973 |    21,016 | 301,990 |  7,780,891
PS3      |    16,149 |    18,656 | 195,488 |  2,817,916
PS2      |     5,029 |     5,332 |  50,797 | 21,450,321
--------------------------------------------------------
DSi      |    41,839 |    53,483 | 575,326 |  1,806,693
DSL      |     9,975 |    14,810 | 156,490 |

MC-THREAD-CHARTS.png

mujun

bcn-ron said:
White Knight Chronicles is the only proof of anything RPG on the PS3. Any other RPG on PS3 is either a late ports of an Xbox 360 timed exclusive (Enchanted Arms, Trusty Bell/Eternal Sonata) or an SRPG (Disgaea, Valkyria Chronicles) ... or Folk's Souls/Folklore. I have no idea why anyone ever classed that as RPG, but there it goes. I can't even think of any other ~RPG released for the PS3 so far. Nothing in the style of SMT in any case.

I think both traditional RPGs and ARPGs can do way beyond 100k on PS3. SCE is probably agonizing right now over their own low expectations for Demon's Souls.

white knight doesn't seem to have gone down so well here. the second hand section is literally stuffed full of the game and the price has slipped considerably (3500 yen).

gantz85

Banned
mujun said:
white knight doesn't seem to have gone down so well here. the second hand section is literally stuffed full of the game and the price has slipped considerably (3500 yen).

Level 5's strategy to prevent second-hand stuffing through the multiplayer didn't work well, did it? Was it because of the half-assed execution of the MP or is this just the character of the console market?

mujun

gantz85 said:
Level 5's strategy to prevent second-hand stuffing through the multiplayer didn't work well, did it? Was it because of the half-assed execution of the MP or is this just the character of the console market?

a bit of each of those i'd say. then again i'm not an expert, merely an observer.

more anecdotal evidence to put things (anecdotally) in perspective.

LO also seemed to drop in price pretty quickly (2nd hand) and clog the shelves a month or two after it hit. it of course didn't have any mp though.

tales of vesperia despite having been out for so long is still hard to find second hand and still sells for something like 80% of it's original price.

Top Bottom