• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/16 - 02/22

PusherT

Eteric Rice said:
Nintendo needs to start securing RPGs and bigger franchises now, at all cost.
Since Tri-Ace is pretty much done (IU/SO4/VP:Covenant of the Plume) Nintendo better hop on them and demand VP 4 made for the wii, tri-ace can use silmeria's engine that game still looks ace . If I were Iwata I would ask SE for a Wii Final Fantasy: Tactics game also

Sage00

Once And Future Member
You have to wonder, if this wasn't the week before Yakuza with it's bundle (which would cause a few people to hold off buying) would Wii have naturally dropped below PS3 for the first time (as in without the help of a game boosting it)?

Linkup

Eteric Rice said:

MH3, DX10, and FFCC:Crystal Bearers what more are they supposed to do on that front? Open a new dev studios just for Sakurai, Matsuno, and Itoi?

yeah i had to change that

Sage00

Once And Future Member
PusherT said:
Since Tri-Ace is pretty much done (IU/SO4/VP:Covenant of the Plume) Nintendo better hop on them and demand VP 4 made for the wii, tri-ace can use silmeria's engine that game still looks ace . If I were Iwata I would ask SE for a Wii Final Fantasy: Tactics game also
I'd put my money on Kingdom Hearts.

Eteric Rice

Linkup said:
MH3, DX10, and FFCC:Crystal Bearers what more are they supposed to do on that front? Open a new dev studios just for Sakurai, Matsuno, and Itoi?

Attempt to get other liked series. Two main games aren't going to cut it. They should be pushing for Persona, Suikoden, Kingdom Hearts, etc.

test_account said:
I was thinking about something earlier today, are there any 3rd part console games (not handheld systems) this generation that are so to say guaranteed to sell at least 1 million copies in Japan? I guess Final Fantasy XIII and Dragon Quest X at least, but what about beside these 2 games?
Not really. Those franchises make the top 5 of last generation. Everything else tops out at 1.2 million or less (without getting into rereleases or special editions), and many of them have already appeared this generation.
DarkMehm said:
That graph is pretty useless as it only contains data of the Top 30.
No, that's from Famitsu's software pie, which goes beyond the Top 30. It's not unlike the Dengeki numbers we now see, except the software pie only displays percentages.

Yazus

01. [360] Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope (Square Enix) 162,000 / NEW
02. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (Nintendo) 62,000 / 255,000

Awesome stuff in the high rank. Really astonished about SO4, and fucking amazed by M&L3. Keep selling M&L, keep selling! And maybe NoA will bring the game oversea faster than usual.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Eteric Rice said:
Attempt to get other liked series. Two main games aren't going to cut it. They should be pushing for Persona, Suikoden, Kingdom Hearts, etc.

The thing there is that they'd probably have to pay and help out a lot with development to get those.

I think they might honestly decide it's just more worthwhile to make more games that sell easily in the West to make up any profit loss caused by a Wii slowdown in Japan.

PusherT

Sage00 said:
I'd put my money on Kingdom Hearts.
Iwata should ask for FF:Tactics and let Nomura make Kingdom Hearts for PS3 trust me his team has never made a game on a non Sony system why start now and beside Tactics A2 was good shit better then any KH game make a high quality wii game in the series

swerve

Nirolak said:
I think they might honestly decide it's just more worthwhile to make more games that sell easily in the West to make up any profit loss caused by a Wii slowdown in Japan.

You haven't checked the exchange rate have you? If Japanese companies want to make money, they need to sell in Japan right now.

If Nintendo has tricks up its sleeve, I'd have expected them to play them by now. Looks like their Wii strategy is not working as expected. Perhaps they've got a huge '2nd wave' scheme coming later this year. Or perhaps they're happy with their 7 million Wiis in Japan and now they're focused on making some software for them.

Or maybe they're going 3rd party. :p

Yazus

Eteric Rice said:

I still think that Nintendo should ask tri-Ace to start developing VP3 on the Wii, since they said that they have nothing on hands now that VP:Covenant of the Plume and SO4 are relased.

But my wild dream will always be VP3 on the PS3/360.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
swerve said:
You haven't checked the exchange rate have you? If Japanese companies want to make money, they need to sell in Japan right now.

In all fairness, the exchange rate has been shifting back quite a bit. :p

It's almost 100:1 again.

Linkup

Eteric Rice said:

So new games from some of the biggest recent RPG franchises isn't going to cut it? Holy crap, outside of adding a Pokemon console game and Kingdom Hearts 3 I don't see how those other games are going to help sells much at all. The smaller titles usually follow the bigger ones and the bigger ones are coming soooo. Lots of franchises seem in limbo right now and I'm not sure mainline games are what they used to be so not having mainline FF doesn't seem to mean as much.

PusherT said:
his team has never made a game on a non Sony system why start now
Well, I can think of a few dozen million reasons, but this is a road gone down many times before. :lol
swerve said:
If Nintendo has tricks up its sleeve, I'd have expected them to play them by now.
Ehh, Wii Music and Animal Crossing were just three months ago; it's not like there's much time for them to realize that didn't do what they hoped and have something ready to implement already. The only thing that could really come at an arbitrary time like that if they decided would be a price drop.

Laguna

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

The next main entry in the Tales of series (a series that is bigger than Persona and Suikoden ;)). There´s also Arc Rise Fantasia from imageepoch.

Since most sales were made overseas (Kingdom Hearts) and Wii (just like the KH games) has a more family friendly nature and dominance especially in the USA it would be more than a surprise if KH3 won´t be on Wii since you know Wii´s also leading in Japan by far even if you read this thread you may think it would be otherwise. :lol

PusherT

Yazus said:
I still think that Nintendo should ask tri-Ace to start developing VP3 on the Wii, since they said that they have nothing on hands now that VP:Covenant of the Plume and SO4 are relased.

But my wild dream will always be VP3 on the PS3/360.
I consider the DS game the 3rd VP game since it is the actual 3rd game in the series made by them. But yeah if Nintendo were wise they would be in talks with Gotanda about making a wii Valkyrie Profile especially since Tri-Ace has over 100 people in staff and finished 3 games already. MS will nabb that series too

DarkMehm

JoshuaJSlone said:
No, that's from Famitsu's software pie, which goes beyond the Top 30. It's not unlike the Dengeki numbers we now see, except the software pie only displays percentages.

Oh, my bad then.

schuelma said:
I think the argument is that the userbase disadvantage can be somewhat mitigated by making it multi platform from the start.

Yes! Then a title that would've sold an underwhelming 300k in Japan alone can sell a slightly less underwhelming 400k! :p

gkrykewy said:
Both figures probably dwarfed by its Euro and NA sales on 360

This is really the take-away lesson I would encourage people to learn: if you're a publisher who isn't Nintendo, trying to nickel-and-dime Japan with exclusivity should play second-fiddle to working out a solid worldwide platform and release plan.

(And if you're a publisher who is Nintendo, you should be damn glad that your first-party stuff is successful, because you've managed to fuck up market leadership to a ludicrously unprecedented degree otherwise.)

AranhaHunter said:
I doubt it.

Star Ocean 3 sold 650k in the US, more than its initial Japanese release, and the GoG shrinkage effect is smaller or nonexistent on PS360 titles in the US in comparison to in Japan. Star Ocean is a much bigger series over here than any other jRPG that's hit HD systems in the US, and I don't see any reason to believe it wouldn't outperform all of those significantly.

donny2112

bmf said:
This week. We need a graph of these.

Not exactly what you asked for, but PSP software sales in 2008 (and continuing into 2009) are at least showing good improvement over their previous levels.

DarkMehm said:
PSP is ahead of the Wii in software YTD.

*facepalm*

Did you hear that apples sold more than oranges YTD?

bmf said:
There wasn't one for last week (I can create if need be).

MC Feb 9-15:

NDS - 21
WII - 11
PSP - 7
PS3 - 6
PS2 - 3
360 - 2

swerve

JoshuaJSlone said:
Ehh, Wii Music and Animal Crossing were just three months ago; it's not like there's much time for them to realize that didn't do what they hoped and have something ready to implement already. The only thing that could really come at an arbitrary time like that if they decided would be a price drop.

AC and Wii Music came at the end of a long period of 'slack' wii sales, and if they needed to have this further decreased demand to teach them that they should have addressed last year's demand issues with something bigger and higher profile, then they're already showing signs of 'complacency at the top'.

I'm intrigued by their current stance on Japan for both DS and Wii, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Monster Hunter and anything else announced at that point.

I don't think Wii Sports Resort should be the only launch title for Motion Plus. If Japan's done with Wii, they won't be wooed back by another Wii Sports.

Eteric Rice said:

Nintendo needed to start securing RPGs and bigger franchises two years ago, when every week I would patiently explain this fact to Media Create and everyone would lecture me about how currying third-party support was beneath mighty Nintendo. :lol What Nintendo needs to do now is cry about how they've ruined their Wii business in Japan through gross negligence and helped all the third-parties screw over their own business models in the process.

freddy

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
And you are basing this on what? I'm sorry, but the major reason that these threads usually go up the shitter is because people offer an analysis based on little more than what they'd like to see, rather than any factual basis.
Did you not see just a few posts above yours about how Capcom was betting big time on MH3( a Wii exclusive as far as we know) and how they think its an important title for the industry at large? Are you saying Nintendo has nothing up their sleeves the can raise sales with alongside the release on MH3? Please tell me you skipped over them and just aren't spouting nonsense...

DarkMehm

donny2112 said:
*facepalm*

Did you hear that apples sold more than oranges YTD?

No need to get defensive over a thing like this. It was just to show bmf that PSP software is not doing that bad.

Minsc

Gold Member
charlequin said:
Nintendo needed to start securing RPGs and bigger franchises two years ago, when every week I would patiently explain this fact to Media Create and everyone would lecture me about how currying third-party support was beneath mighty Nintendo. :lol What Nintendo needs to do now is cry about how they've ruined their Wii business in Japan through gross negligence and helped all the third-parties screw over their own business models in the process.

Well they still have Monolith, they could always release another Baten Kaitos game. I'd forgive them quite a bit for that.

swerve

freddy said:
Capcom was betting big time on MH3( a Wii exclusive as far as we know)

Historically the series makes a fuckton of money on PSP, and significantly less on home consoles. So moving the home version to the new most prevalent home console, whilst simultaneously making Lost Planet 2, Dead Rising 2, and Resident Evil 5 on other consoles, hardly seems like 'betting big time'.

For whatever reason, third parties have treated Wii (and indirectly, its consumer base) with at best disinterest, at worst contempt. So when Nintendo has nothing to put out for a while (as now) except for GameCube games re-worked, there's nothing to excite the (very, very cautious right now in Japan) consumer.

But it doesn't really matter. Nintendo has done some of its finest work when enduring a period of unpopularity. It didn't feel right having them so dominant. I for one welcome our new XBOX overlords.

DarkMehm said:
No need to get defensive over a thing like this. It was just to show bmf that PSP software is not doing that bad.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the PSP has several times the hardware base that the Wii does.

guina

bmf said:
Another thing to keep in mind is that the PSP has several times the hardware base that the Wii does.
Another week diferent poster. 360 should outsell the wii more often, this is hilarious.

DarkMehm

bmf said:

It's only 50% more and not to mention that consoles usually have double the tie-ratio handhelds have. But I don't really want to compare those two as they are completely different systems.

Spiegel

charlequin said:

Agreed. They are swimming in money since 06 for fuck's sake. Why didn't they trow some moneyhats to S-E and Namco Bandai?

bmf said:

PSP = 11.7 million
Wii = 7.7 million

So psp is doing great because DS has several times the hardware base that the psp does?

swerve

guina said:
Another week diferent poster. 360 should outsell the wii more often, this is hilarious.

Wait for next week when Wii potentially comes bottom of the heap. MC threads are getting fun again!

freddy

Banned
swerve said:
Historically the series makes a fuckton of money on PSP, and significantly less on home consoles. So moving the home version to the new most prevalent home console, whilst simultaneously making Lost Planet 2, Dead Rising 2, and Resident Evil 5 on other consoles, hardly seems like 'betting big time'.
In case you missed it:

Shuelma said:
Yeah I think it has a good shot. Capcom is going to push the hell out of this game- in this weeks Famitsu Inafune says he wants to make Monster Hunter bigger than Dragon Quest and that MH Tri is "important for the industry" as well as for Capcom.
That would say to me that they are betting pretty heavily on MH3 being a pretty big success. Of course they are going to release games on other consoles just like they did every other generation. I'm not going to address the other points as they are written to inflame a Nintendo only fan and that has nothing to do with me at all.

donny2112

charlequin said:
Nintendo needed to start securing RPGs and bigger franchises two years ago, when every week I would patiently explain this fact to Media Create and everyone would lecture me about how currying third-party support was beneath mighty Nintendo.

As the other participant in at least a few of those discussions, I'm pretty sure that my position remains the same. Nintendo's methodology last generation of lending out characters and collaborating with second/third-parties in bringing games to their console is still a sound plan. They just haven't been doing much of that either. Currying third-party support is fine. I think that flat out paying for it with money isn't the best way of doing that, however.

Nintendo should've had a Wii Sports 2/Advance in Fall 2007, but they didn't want to take the "easy" way. By eschewing some of the more straightforward methods of quickly bringing out software (and presumably holding back software for Motion+), they've cut off their own ability to consistently support their console with software. The GameCube re-releases are a good stopgap, but it would've been nice if the re-releases were another element in the software release schedule for the last three months instead of almost the only element in the software release schedule for the last three months.

swerve

freddy said:
In case you missed it:

That would say to me that they are betting pretty heavily on MH3 being a pretty big success. Of course they are going to release games on other consoles just like they did every other generation. I'm not going to address the other points as they are written to inflame a Nintendo only fan and that has nothing to do with me at all.

He says he wants Monster Hunter to be bigger than Dragon Quest. PSP versions can do that alone :p

But yeah, I was goading slightly. If Nintendo plans co-marketing for MH3 and DQX and whatever else is coming from the big guys, then they might be on to something successful with this whole 'Wii' thing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
freddy said:
In case you missed it:

I think that's more about Capcom really wanting a franchise that does well in Japan across any platforms it appears on.

As Capcom's series seem to gain more and more popularity in the west they also seem to be losing popularity in Japan, and in order to keep their Japanese revenue stable they really need Monster Hunter to be a huge deal.

They also mentioned in that interview that they would love Monster Hunter to become a big deal in the west. I'd actually really like for that to happen too because when I saw the giant Akryd battle in the Lost Planet 2 trailer the first thing that came to mind was "Monster Hunter in 3rd Person Shooter Format" and just how awesome it was. I'd love to see them explore creating a Monster Hunter with MT Framework 2.0 but um, that's just my bias and I'm on quite a tangent now.

freddy

Banned
swerve said:
He says he wants Monster Hunter to be bigger than Dragon Quest. PSP versions can do that alone :p

But yeah, I was goading slightly. If Nintendo plans co-marketing for MH3 and DQX and whatever else is coming from the big guys, then they might be on to something successful with this whole 'Wii' thing.
Well, I think a PSP version would(will eventually) sell significantly more than a Wii version IN JAPAN. However they've said they want to keep their main focus on consoles and I suspect also start IP whoring worldwide much more than they have been in the past. The only real answer for that is the Wii.

Edit: Nikolak: Yep agreed

Rolf NB

icecream said:
That would be an interesting question. If the PS3 had all these titles, would they be selling radically higher than their 360 sales, or just higher but proportionally to the installed userbase.
Going by day-and-date releases, the average Japanese Xbox 360 user buys "western" games a lot more than the average PS3 owner, and conversely is much less likely to buy "very japanese" games, below install base proportion even.

Games with clear worlwide appeal seem to sell roughly in line with install base shares.

Every day-and-date multiplat sold better on PS3, and considering the apparent audience skew it's pretty safe to say that for any multiplat JRPG the PS3 version would significantly outsell the Xbox 360 version and the sum sales would be way up as well.

The question is not if PS3 versions would have been financially more viable for Japanese developers, within Japan, than keeping their games exclusive to the Xbox 360, that's a pretty obvious "yes". The crux of the matter is that these developers apparently were led to believe that if they take the hit at home, the west would make it up to them. As far as publicized-numbers-only GAF knows, that didn't happen.

starsky

I dunno why people are so pessimistic about Wii. I think it's doing fine. It gets beaten once in a weekly chart because of a big game released and everyone thinking it's over for the Wii? If it's consistently selling worse than its competitors in period of months then Nintendo needs to be worried.

I'm sure they're busy making games anyway, no matter how good/bad their sales are in weekly charts. And their old games still sell by a boatload.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
charlequin said:
What Nintendo needs to do now is cry about how they've ruined their Wii business in Japan through gross negligence and helped all the third-parties screw over their own business models in the process.

I don't think Wii is "ruined" in Japan yet. They are in trouble right now, which we knew was going to happen as soon as sales dropped so dramatically after the holiday. There is a wildcard in Motion+ and significantly better 3rd party support coming later this year. If we're still having this conversation months from now then yeah, Nintendo is in big big trouble.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
bakemono said:
I dunno why people are so pessimistic about Wii. I think it's doing fine. It gets beaten once in a weekly chart because of a big game released and everyone thinking it's over for the Wii? If it's consistently selling worse than its competitors in period of months then Nintendo needs to be worried.

It is not doing fine- it is doing very poorly. It's down to almost PS3 territory which is never good. I think the only disagreement is whether this poor start to 2009 portends doom for the system in the long run. I don't think it does.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
swerve said:

For whatever reason, third parties have treated Wii (and indirectly, its consumer base) with at best disinterest, at worst contempt. So when Nintendo has nothing to put out for a while (as now) except for GameCube games re-worked, there's nothing to excite the (very, very cautious right now in Japan) consumer.

But it doesn't really matter. Nintendo has done some of its finest work when enduring a period of unpopularity. It didn't feel right having them so dominant. I for one welcome our new XBOX overlords.

Your last paragraph doesn't make sense to me. They've been bad when they weren't doing so well, and they've been excellent when they were doing well, I don't make that connection necessarily but I do agree their output has been lacking lately. And I agree completely with the first two paragraphs.

Top Bottom