• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/16 - 02/22

Laguna

Banned
neojubei said:
Well there was that famitsu article that said FF13 is coming in 2009.

The demo sure ;) after DQIXs delay Wada himself said that they aren´t sure if they will release FFXIII in the coming fiscal year (ending 31.3.2010). So anyone can make their own guess. While I won´t exclude a December 2009 release, a 2010 release may be more likely after his words. But still 1 game alone isn´t exactly what I would call a promising lineup...

Spiegel

neojubei said:
Well there was that famitsu article that said FF13 is coming in 2009.

They are going to continue lying about the delay until later this year.

Square Enix is a joke this gen

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
gantz85 said:
I know what's coming 2009 for PS3..

TRICO

:lol THANKS, I needed that. If we hear anything if trico it is probably going to be tokyo game show or some sony sponsored event.

gantz85

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Winter Special Olympics Team better not let us down!

Him, let us down?

Those who have faith in Ueda will be granted IMMORTAL LIFES!!!

1UP 1UP 1UP 1UP 1UP 1UP 1UP
on the 1 UP show
1UP 1UP 1UP 1UP 1UP 1UP 1UP
on the 1 UP show

FUck you Ueda show me the goods

kpop100 said:
Game just didn't do it for me. It's like they copied the trivial elements from NG and left out the awesome combat. And the QTEs...ughh

It's still an awesome game if you play it for what it is and not expecting a NG clone. It's much closer to GoW anyway...it's like a mixture of GoW's combat and MWC's story. I don't think many people will like it, but I had a lot of fun with it.

Spiegel said:
They are going to continue lying about the delay until later this year.

Square Enix is a joke this gen

It's a joke on the console side, sure. Can't say I've been too disappointed with their handheld stuff, though.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Lightning said:
Hmm... SO4 did good by 360 standards, given the sales potential of the franchise though it is clear that majority of fans are not going to buy systems they don't want no matter what the game title is.

I still find 160k overall VERY disappointing given the franchise. It is the biggest franchise Tri-Ace have and I don't think 160k cuts it, imo.

SO4 sold out in Japan. They would have probably sold more if S-E had pressed/shipped more copies.

Spiegel

Pureauthor said:
It's a joke on the console side, sure. Can't say I've been too disappointed with their handheld stuff, though.

I'm pretty disappointed also on the handled side. They are outsourcing almost everything and their internally developed games are taking ages to come out.

Paracelsus

Tenacious-V said:
SO4 sold out in Japan. They would have probably sold more if S-E had pressed/shipped more copies.

If it sold more than 165k, then the shipment arrived in time, because the 80% of 165k is a straight 132k, which is the number we got for the first day sales. It all depends on where dengeki found those numbers, since both Famitsu and MC put the numbers within the 100% of the shipment.

I'm pretty disappointed also on the handled side. They are outsourcing almost everything and their internally developed games are taking ages to come out.

Is Agito TBA like Versus XIII, btw?

Laguna said:
The same for PS3, besides a FF demo there´s still nothing announced yet.
Well, sorta. There's Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Empires in late May. And while there's no official word yet, no doubt there'll be the annual Winning Eleven and Pro Yakyuu Spirits releases. Bayonetta is almost certainly going to be this year as well. I'd expect decent but not exciting numbers from all these.

But in terms of true tentpole releases like SO 4, you're right that there's nothing on the horizon (besides the vague possibility of FF XIII or GT 5, neither of which seem super likely).

Paracelsus said:
It all depends on where dengeki found those numbers, since both Famitsu and MC put the numbers within the 100% of the shipment.
Actually, didn't Famitsu have 166k (just over the first shipment, going by sinobi)?

Lightning

Banned
Tenacious-V said:
Would've doesn't matter, could've doesn't matter, might've doesn't matter. The fact is it didn't sell more, hence the sales are disappointing regardless of the reason or who is to blame.

Lightning said:
Would've doesn't matter, could've doesn't matter, might've doesn't matter. The fact is it didn't sell more, hence the sales are disappointing regardless of the reason or who is to blame.
You're aware it costs $90+ dollars right? Or in other words, half the price of a 360 console.

Lightning said:
Doesn't matter. Disappointing sales are disappointing no matter the excuses.
So 160,000-175,000 in three days and generating around $15 million in revenue is failing to meet expectations?

So do tell, what were sales expectations for the first shipment Lightning?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
jj984jj said:
I hope 7th Dragon does well.

Me too... it may show Sega that there's a market in classic oldskool gaming and maybe they will have Rieko Kodama direct another game in the genre, namely an offline Phantasy Star...

... I'm getting too far ahead of myself, that won't happen :(

Oh yeah... GO STAR OCEAN!!!

Why are SimpleDesign and Lightning arguing? They're never going to reach a conclusion.

This isn't like mixing black & white to get grey. Instead one ends up with a checkerboard...and it just continues on forever.

SimpleDesign said:
So 160,000-175,000 in three days and generating around $15 million in revenue is failing to meet expectations?

Lightning has been trolling Star Ocean since the last thread. He just wouldn't give up until someone paid attention to him.

Yes, it's a massive disappointment for S-E. They didn't want to sell through 100% of their shipment, they'd have been much happier with a 50-75% sell through.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Arpharmd B said:
Lightning has been trolling Star Ocean since the last thread. He just wouldn't give up until someone paid attention to him.

Yes, it's a massive disappointment for S-E. They didn't want to sell through 100% of their shipment, they'd have been much happier with a 50-75% sell through.
And here's this argument again.. Not that I don't think Star Ocean 4 sold to (or above) expectations, but if I ship 10k and sell 10k it doesn't make my game a massive success.

The game sold much less than you would expect a main series Star Ocean title to, because it was limited by it's platform, despite costs being significantly higher.

Which means either Square-Enix are idiots who made a concerted attempt to throw money away, or they were subsidized via other means. It's glaringly obvious what went on, mutual benefit for both companies.

Paracelsus said:
Where did you get this number?
Looks like he roughly multiplied the sales by $90. Even though Square-Enix don't trade in dollars, nor would they receive anywhere near 100% of the retail sale.

Lightning said:
Are you advocating piracy here?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
SimpleDesign said:
I guess that explains why it sold less than MGS2 and 3.
Games have fairly inelastic demand. Price doesn't make as big of a difference as you seem to think, otherwise handheld versions would outsell console versions every time.

P90

a Master Ninja said:
Since people always have them for Pokemon and Nintendog games, any theories on why
2ag94ll.jpg
sold more than
mwb2g7.jpg
sold more than
35a846w.jpg
?

Redheads rock?

Minsc

Gold Member
Lightning said:
Doesn't matter. Disappointing sales are disappointing no matter the excuses.

LightningAvatar.jpg

A big fat 0 is pretty fucking inexcusable in my opinion, for someone to be talking such trash.

Sage00 said:
The game sold much less than you would expect a main series Star Ocean title to

Only in the context where we're still comparing games to their PS2 predecessors and "expecting" comparable sales, not in the (equally legitimate) context where we note that there are no non-DS platforms with good software sales in Japan and that almost any HD game can expect massive GoG drops from its previous iteration. It's difficult to blame an individual instance of platform choice for lower sales when all other choices would also have led to comparable underperformance.

Jumping to the hoary "lolol M$ moneyhatz!" conclusion about every single 360 exclusive is a pretty poor way to look at the situation, IMO.

Rolf NB

a Master Ninja said:
Since people always have them for Pokemon and Nintendog games, any theories on why
2ag94ll.jpg
sold more than
mwb2g7.jpg
sold more than
35a846w.jpg
?
People instinctively organize in pairs.
It's easier to poach one off a group of three.

/carnivore

Sage00 said:
Games have fairly inelastic demand. Price doesn't make as big of a difference as you seem to think, otherwise handheld versions would outsell console versions every time.

Inelastic demand elastic ohh god not economics (I just had an exam in this).

I'd say inelastic to start. The fans will pay outrageous prices, but elastic as time goes on (Platinum hits or "best of" re-releases at a cheaper price usually bump the games sales).

Anyways. Back to my argument. 100% sell through is the best possible outcome S-E could have hoped for. So by your logic they set themselves up for disappointing sales out of the gate on purpose. Yeah ok.

gkryhewy

SimpleDesign said:

Clearly if SO4 was a PlayStation(R)3(tm) exclusive, it would have sold 500k+ this week in Japan!

Just like.... like... White Knight Chronicles! Oh.

Japan hates HD gaming, regardless of the name on the box. Seems to be selling quite well in the US so far too.

Rolf NB

gkrykewy said:
Clearly if SO4 was a PlayStation(R)3(tm) exclusive, it would have sold 500k+ this week in Japan!
I agree.
gkrykewy said:
New IP vs proven, popular IP. Novel online integration vs traditional single-player experience ... in Japan!
gkrykewy said:
Japan hates HD gaming, regardless of the name on the box.
Divide and conquer.

Loudninja

gkrykewy said:

Japan hates HD gaming, regardless of the name on the box. Seems to be selling quite well in the US so far too.

Eh WKC did well in japan sold over 300k and that's a new IP....so yeah SO4 selling that much is not impossible.

Paracelsus

gkrykewy said:
Just like.... like... White Knight Chronicles!

Wrong comparison. You don't have to compare WKC with SO, since SO is a waaaaaay bigger IP. Rather, go and check how much more did Rogue Galaxy sold compared (hint: not so much).

PS3 hasn't had a single decent Jrpg released for two years, the X360 got many releases to build momentum only for this game, only for those SO4 sales -aside from stealing momentum from PS3 in the first place. In the same conditions, you think sales on PS3 would have been "like WKC"?

Dunno, I'd rather not reason with "ifs" and "buts".

gkrykewy said:

You think WKC is a fair comparison with SO??? 500 is obviously out of the realm of possibility, but it would have destroyed WKC on the ps3 sales wise.

SimpleDesign said:
You're aware it costs $90+ dollars right? Or in other words, half the price of a 360 console.

7182 Yen on Amazon JP roughly equals 75 bucks, but big games are usually that price in Japan, not a valid excuse IMO.

Rolf NB

Byakuya769 said:
You think WKC is a fair comparison with SO??? 500 is obviously out of the realm of possibility, but it would have destroyed WKC on the ps3 sales wise.
WKC did 200k first week and was last seen at 310k or thereabouts. A game "destroying" (rawr!) it in sales would have to sell about ... 500k LTD I guess (or 350k+ first week). 50% more is just about the lower bound I would accept for application of the verb "destroy".

edit: maybe you guys have your comparison games mixed up. WKC sold respectably. Demon's Souls is the one that probably won't crack 100k lifetime sales, though that one was significantly undershipped as well, maybe moreso than SO4.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, they are good sales for 360. Though that's about as complimentary I guess as when you say "looks good for a wii game" or whatever. Very curious to see if the second shipment is able to get there before demand falters. Vesperia faced a similar challenge and it hurt the game over the long haul (well, I guess for 360 in Japan, long haul means like 3 weeks lolllll).

For the record, the only series that have improved GoG that I could find were Xbox-series that either moved to PS360 or improved on the 360. So that leaves Ninja Gaiden -> Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Dead or Alive saw a massive dropoff, but I imagine that's because of the lack of kasumipillow.

Devil May Cry improved GoG from 3 to 4. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue sold better than GT concept (lol) but worse than GT4 Prologue.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lightning said:
Hmm... SO4 did good by 360 standards, given the sales potential of the franchise though it is clear that majority of fans are not going to buy systems they don't want no matter what the game title is.

I still find 160k overall VERY disappointing given the franchise. It is the biggest franchise Tri-Ace have and I don't think 160k cuts it, imo.

By your logic Street Fighter IV was a much bigger disappointment. Street Fighter II sold almost 3 million copies in Japan while this one looks like it'll top out around 200-400k copies.

For some reason I don't see you going on about how disappointing that is though...

Luckyman

Banned
Nirolak said:
By your logic Street Fighter IV was a much bigger disappointment. Street Fighter II sold almost 3 million copies in Japan while this one looks like it'll top out around 200-400k copies.

For some reason I don't see you going on about how disappointing that is though...

fail

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Luckyman said:

Why?

Personally I think SFIV did great in the region. I'm just pointing out that Lightning is taking an unfair stance on Star Ocean when it's obvious HD games as a whole don't sell as well as their previous generation titles, mainly because the install base just isn't there.

Syntek

Regarding the high price for SO4, I recall some interview with Carmack that MS charges ridiculous royalty fees for multi-discs releases, likely as a measure deter developers from exceeding one disc. The price increase is probably to offset that.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nirolak said:
it's obvious HD games as a whole don't sell as well as their previous generation titles, mainly because the install base just isn't there.

I think the argument is that the userbase disadvantage can be somewhat mitigated by making it multi platform from the start.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:
I think the argument is that the userbase disadvantage can be somewhat mitigated by making it multi platform from the start.

Yeah that is definitely a good argument. My major qualm was in the way Lightning went about it but now that I think about it I guess that's neither here nor there.

Syntek said:
Regarding the high price for SO4, I recall some interview with Carmack that MS charges ridiculous royalty fees for multi-discs releases, likely as a measure deter developers from exceeding one disc. The price increase is probably to offset that.

That's actually not true. Tim Willits from id clarified that later mentioning it was actually a manufacturing cost, not a Microsoft licensing cost.

Now Willits says the whole thing was a classic misunderstanding.

"Microsoft is not being dickheads," he said. "It was a simple kind of miscommunication. Microsoft does not charge a royalty per disc, but there is a cost of goods that goes along with manufacturing."

Top Bottom