• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered Collection pre-order up on Steam. Feb 25 release, $30 (15% off)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-V-B

Also I'm thrilled about the original voice actress redoing lines for HW 2.

Thank God.

I hope there's a mod where you can get back the minimal interface of the original, though. It allowed you to really get enveloped in the gigantic space of... well, space. Especially at higher resolutions, the UI took up almost no space.

A-V-B

UI is now scalable.

Still have elements on all corners, though. IIRC, Homeworld just had a single bar at the bottom. I can't remember if you could do a Windows taskbar-type thing and have it slide away when you're not focused.

FGMPR

Banned
I'd kill for DK 2 support (with full 3D/redesigned HUD). These games could be perfect in demonstrating how good VR can work for games outside of the first person perspective.

funkypie

Banned
Of all the remastered games you're going to complain about the value of this one? They put a lot of work into upgrading the visuals, remastering the audio, and Karan's VO got rerecorded for Homeworld 2.

Well yes. I already own hw and cataylsm. Grey goo just launched and that is an RTS at 29.99. Only £8 difference yet one is extremely old. I just don't think this game is worth £22/30 dollars. We are talking about PC only where it should be cheaper than the console equivalent.

I'd buy if it were £15.

I hope multiplayer gets active enough for some regular streams to start up, I want to spend my evenings chilling out and watching things blow up in space.

Also I'm thrilled about the original voice actress redoing lines for HW 2.

Apparently there was enough of an outcry about the VA switch back in the day for Relic to include an easter egg just to fuck with one particularly vocal critic in the community, who went by the name of Arioch online.

If you play a skirmish with the name "Arioch" and lose, you get this message:
"Arioch, my voice is sexier"

I know that if I was that guy, I would have crapped my pants hearing that.

Also It'd be hilarious if they'd get the original VA to re-record that as well.

ThatGuy

Was there any news at Pax South regarding Homeworld: Shipbreakers?
It seems like forever since they announced the rebranding.

vazel

Banned
Well yes. I already own hw and cataylsm. Grey goo just launched and that is an RTS at 29.99. Only £8 difference yet one is extremely old. I just don't think this game is worth £22/30 dollars. We are talking about PC only where it should be cheaper than the console equivalent.

I'd buy if it were £15.
What other remasters that have received a complete visual upgrade launched at less than $30?

In fact, how many other remastered games received a complete visual upgrade at all? Only other game I can think of is Majora's Mask on 3DS.

mantidor

Was there any news at Pax South regarding Homeworld: Shipbreakers?
It seems like forever since they announced the rebranding.

The gameplay video mentioned it and it is indeed now a prequel to Homeworld 1, I don't know if that was already confirmed though.

Grief.exe

What other remasters that have received a complete visual upgrade launched at less than $30?

In fact, how many other remastered games received a complete visual upgrade at all? Only other game I can think of is Majora's Mask on 3DS.

Grim Fandango and REmake's recent recently saw them upgrading all the models in the game, but the backgrounds were locked for the most part.

The majority of remasters you see these days are just the PC version from last generation packaged up to sell on current-gen consoles.

Aaron D.

37 minutes of gameplay with a developer panel discussion in glorious HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRtqy0CGur4

That's a really great video.

I was tuned into the development process for the remaster, but I'm still shocked by the number of original talents contributing to the project. Original dev leads, artists, actors, composers, and more all submitting remastered work for the game. It's a pretty amazing to see them getting the band back together so thoroughly some 15 years later. Also really nice to hear that they're not going all George Lucas with the games, instead sticking with the original source material and vision.

This remaster screams, labor of love.

vazel

Banned
Grim Fandango and REmake's recent recently saw them upgrading all the models in the game, but the backgrounds were locked for the most part.

The majority of remasters you see these days are just the PC version from last generation packaged up to sell on current-gen consoles.
Oh that's right, I forgot REmake on Gamecube.

A shame the backgrounds in Grim Fandango weren't redone I was hoping for HD backgrounds in 16:9, but at least they didn't crop and apply an aggressive sharpening filter to the original backgrounds like in the PC version of REmake.
That's a really great video.

I was tuned into the development process for the remaster, but I'm still shocked by the number of original talents contributing to the project. Original dev leads, artists, actors, composers, and more all submitting remastered work for the game. It's a pretty amazing to see them getting the band back together so thoroughly some 15 years later. Also really nice to hear that they're not going all George Lucas with the games, instead sticking with the original source material and vision.

This remaster screams, labor of love.
Yup, no matter what else Gearbox has done I'll always respect them for reviving Homeworld like this.

EVIL

watching the 35 min gameplay panel vid from pax, and man.. I want oculus rift support. Seeing these small ships fly around your face to this slightly bigger mother-ship. and then you zoom in to follow a fighter and you see the mother ship is 3 kilometres high.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Cataclysm was fun, but I think in tone and feel it wasn't 'Homeworld' enough. HW is a grand space opera, Cataclysm felt a bit too B-movie.

Mindlog

watching the 35 min gameplay panel vid from pax, and man.. I want oculus rift support. Seeing these small ships fly around your face to this slightly bigger mother-ship. and then you zoom in to follow a fighter and you see the mother ship is 3 kilometres high.
I can imagine a slow pan back.
The camera keeps pulling back.
It pulls back into the bridge of the mother ship.
It keeps pulling back across the crew manning their stations.
It pulls into the core then all the walls disappear.
You are seeing through Karan's eyes.

'Fleet Command Online'

Then the music.

Maulik

I'm hoping nvidia's 3dtv play will let me play in this in 3D. Would really love to zoom in on a battlecruiser while tiny ships fly towards me on screen.

Mr Swine

Banned
Cataclysm was fun, but I think in tone and feel it wasn't 'Homeworld' enough. HW is a grand space opera, Cataclysm felt a bit too B-movie.

I liked it, a biological virus that is trapped in hyper space for millions of years gets released and you the Somtaaw has to fight it. And for the Bentusi it's the end of all life and they fear it

Memory

Amazon UK just emailed me to say my collectors edition has moved date. It originally had a place holder date but is now 26th February, i'm abit disappointed its coming a whole day later than the digital release but i'm hoping it will be worth it. That 37min video got me excited for the art book and i really want the ship for my desk :) .

mantidor

I was thinking about how the games will be recieved with the new awareness and discussion of female representation. That was simply not talked about 15 years ago yet the game has one of the most amazing female protagonists in gaming.

Memory

I was thinking about how the games will be recieved with the new awareness and discussion of female representation. That was simply not talked about 15 years ago yet the game has one of the most amazing female protagonists in gaming.

Which was one of the most refreshing aspects of the game imo, really can't wait to dive back into this game.

Stranger's Wrath HD got a full visual upgrade and I think it was only $15 I think (PC version of the original got the update for free eventually).

vazel

Banned
Stranger's Wrath HD got a full visual upgrade and I think it was only $15 I think (PC version of the original got the update for free eventually).
So that's one game that received a complete visual upgrade that launched at less than $30. A few PC games from the '90s(Wing Commander, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Myst) received complete makeovers although I'm not sure what price they launched at.

I remember the sense of wonder I had tethering the camera to my fighters (iirc) back in the day.

Portman

We need to do up a proper OT for this collection cause people need to play some of the greatest games ever made.

I was just going to post in the OT volunteer thread asking about this and figured I'd check here before I did. I would be willing to volunteer myself if someone else hasn't already but what worries me is my lack of graphics/formatting skills. I would just be able to come up with a nice text based OT. If someone else is working on it I'd like to volunteer to help with the write-up for the sections/details etc.

Mindlog

I was just going to post in the OT volunteer thread asking about this and figured I'd check here before I did. I would be willing to volunteer myself if someone else hasn't already but what worries me is my lack of graphics/formatting skills. I would just be able to come up with a nice text based OT. If someone else is working on it I'd like to volunteer to help with the write-up for the sections/details etc.
Just post the original manual.
All 111 pages.

Lime

I have a ton of concept art and stuff I would love to provide and make for the OP. Please PM me and I'll get back to you asap.

Portman

Just post the original manual.
All 111 pages.

Heh, I can envision the OT with a link to the soundtrack (for ambience) and then a note of "comfy chair is required". Then the manual and game technical details and done. Great, now I want to read the manual again and I just put the boxes up over a month ago after having them out.

I have a ton of concept art and stuff I would love to provide and make for the OP. Please PM me and I'll get back to you asap.

Will do. I guess I need to go stake a claim in the |OT| Volunteer thread for this.

Edit: OT thread has been claimed!

I'm looking forward to this. Homeworld was a game I remember reading about in the early 00s but never getting a chance to play.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I liked it, a biological virus that is trapped in hyper space for millions of years gets released and you the Somtaaw has to fight it. And for the Bentusi it's the end of all life and they fear it

Yeah but the Beast and the ships getting 'infected', I dunno, it felt all a bit Event Horizon to Homeworld's Dune.

In Homeworld 1 you could break the unit cap by capturing enemy vessels. There's a mission where you have to
break through a giant sphere formation of ion cannon frigates guarding some giant structure
, and by that point I'd already become quite familiar with salvage corvettes.

I've never had so much fun breaking a game. It was like sneaking one cookie after another from the kitchen after bedtime while your parents were in the next room watching TV. I reaaaaaaaaaally hope Gearbox didn't "fix" that little issue.

(That said, I'm guessing they're going to keep the same restrictions as before. The talk of mod support makes it likely that someone will remove the unit cap just because they can, though.)

Oh man, I loved that mission. Spent hours just picking apart that sphere and getting those frigates to break off so I could salvage them.

Mindlog

Yeah, you were the person that posted the concepts in some other Homeworld thread correct? Yes. Not the thread I was thinking of, but the same collection I believe.
There's some fantastic stuff in there.

Portman

Oh man, I loved that mission. Spent hours just picking apart that sphere and getting those frigates to break off so I could salvage them.

When I played through the original again last fall I was amazed at how aggressive the enemies were with the salvage corvettes. It made me question the memory of my original play through but I probably abused the heck out of the save system back then. I had the idea for some wild tactics too using salvage corvettes as bait on some of the larger ships although I doubt it's worth the losses just to make eliminating a threat easier.

A-V-B

I remember the sense of wonder I had tethering the camera to my fighters (iirc) back in the day.

Dude, that was one of my favorite things to do. It wasn't even an advertised feature, you had to put in a command in the shortcut, I think. Being there in formation with all the fighter ships was so fucking awesome.

Maulik

Dude, that was one of my favorite things to do. It wasn't even an advertised feature, you had to put in a command in the shortcut, I think. Being there in formation with all the fighter ships was so fucking awesome.

Even cooler was following a single missle to its target. It was the sole reason I even made missile frigates.

Hopefully I can pick them up in a future Steam sale. I really don't want to drop $30 on this.

One issue I do recall running into was that since you carry your fleet from mission t mission I once was so beat up at the end of one that I could not survive the next. It made Homeworld 2 uncompletable for me.

qwetwrw

Neo Member
Was that actually confirmed? Still watching the PAX South panel, but my impression before was that it was a matter of the source code being missing, but that Gearbox owned everything about the Homeworld franchise otherwise.

EDIT: Someone had to do it. Here are the graphics options from the IGN video:

K5JgV2I.png

You CAN turn the depth of field effects off, in case that bothered anyone. You can also set it to do DOF during cinematics only, if you were worried about it getting in the way of battle.

Excellent.

Lets hope these remasters break the trend of Gearbox and their third party games...

Portman

Grabbed at Reddit. Credit for this image goes to u/SobanSa over there:

It's neat because seeing the higher detailed ones makes me realize that there were small details on the original models but I never noticed. It's neat to see the original in a new light but I hope it doesn't make me get spoiled by the new graphics.

Elandyll

Banned
With the $30 price on Steam, I honestly asked myself if I valued the Pride of Higaraa at $70...
But then I remembered there is an artbook included, and I'm like "Oh yeah, you keep that $99 pre order!"

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom