• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered Collection pre-order up on Steam. Feb 25 release, $30 (15% off)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

Excellent.

Lets hope these remasters break the trend of Gearbox and their third party games...

Hopefully I can pick them up in a future Steam sale. I really don't want to drop $30 on this.

One issue I do recall running into was that since you carry your fleet from mission t mission I once was so beat up at the end of one that I could not survive the next. It made Homeworld 2 uncompletable for me.

The game was dynamic. Had you finished the level with a full fleet you still probably would have gotten spanked on the next level.

The enemy spawned at the start of a level to reflect your starting strength.

Agremont

The game was dynamic. Had you finished the level with a full fleet you still probably would have gotten spanked on the next level.

The enemy spawned at the start of a level to reflect your starting strength.

And it was awful. I hope they've changed it or at least tweaked it. It prevented me from getting further than level 4.

DBT85

There was a way around it, you had to recycle your vessels to get the RUs and then you started the next mission with more RUs than the enemy. I've only just found that out though.

It was an imperfect solution to the previous game where you could just load up your units before you ended the mission and overwhelm the next mission.

I quite like the idea that there is no inherent difficulty options but that if you were better at managing your units and saving them the game bred more units to compete.

Lime

Relic changed the difficulty in HW2 with their 1.1 patch - back in the day when we didn't have DRM services automatically updating things for us, not everyone was aware there was a patch.

Keasar

With the $30 price on Steam, I honestly asked myself if I valued the Pride of Higaraa at $70...
But then I remembered there is an artbook included, and I'm like "Oh yeah, you keep that $99 pre order!"

:)

99 USD?

No wonder why its still available in Europe.

99 GBP. :(
If it wasn't for that extreme hike in price I would have bought it immediatly.

mantidor

Relic changed the difficulty in HW2 with their 1.1 patch - back in the day when we didn't have DRM services automatically updating things for us, not everyone was aware there was a patch.

I never really had problems with HW 2 difficulty and I don't consider myself a master of strategy. It was tough, no doubt, but that was good because it kept you on your toes. I honestly didn't feel a drastic change with the patch

Ubersnug

I never really had problems with HW 2 difficulty and I don't consider myself a master of strategy. It was tough, no doubt, but that was good because it kept you on your toes. I honestly didn't feel a drastic change with the patch

I couldn't get beyond the third level, the shipyards I think it was. Just couldn't build up a decent enough fleet fast enough. Think I gave it 4/5 tries, gave up and never went back to it again. Looking forward to trying it again with the remaster though.

DBT85

I always found a good balance was needed for HW2. A nice mixed fleet to deal with things appropriately. Really looking forward to playing again.

mantidor

I couldn't get beyond the third level, the shipyards I think it was. Just couldn't build up a decent enough fleet fast enough. Think I gave it 4/5 tries, gave up and never went back to it again. Looking forward to trying it again with the remaster though.

I guess I quickly realized that being (literally) a space pirate and salvaging everything that moves like in HW1 was not going to work. Once I adapted to that I went past that level.

I admit I did had to restart more than once in many missions though.

Edit:
I always found a good balance was needed for HW2. A nice mixed fleet to deal with things appropriately. Really looking forward to playing again.

Basically this.

Memory

99 USD?

No wonder why its still available in Europe.

99 GBP. :(
If it wasn't for that extreme hike in price I would have bought it immediatly.

Its not a full price hike in this case as they are not digital so need to be shipped to the UK. Given the size of of the box and the extra fees they need to pay to trade in the EU, a higher price is understanderble. I do think it should be lower though as we are paying a full $50 more which is no where near the extra cost they need to pay to get it to us.

I have it ordered in anycase because i know i'll kick myself later if i dont.

Lime

I always preferred the longevity of battles in HW1 to HW2. Frigates in HW1 were tougher, lasted longer and could take a pounding for some time before going critical. In HW2, frigates were paper-thin, fragile and lasted shorter than a single corvette.

mantidor

I always preferred the longevity of battles in HW1 to HW2. Frigates in HW1 were tougher, lasted longer and could take a pounding for some time before going critical. In HW2, frigates were paper-thin, fragile and lasted shorter than a single corvette.

Corvettes were a bit overpowered, it is true, but it was compensated with other ships.

The only real unbalance I found in both games was the salvaging in 1, after many replays it became a fine art for me, I literally didn't destroy a single capital ship of the enemy, they were all salvaged, and it was actually not that difficult, specially with support frigates and corvettes guarding your salvage corvettes. I felt 2 gave a little balance to that.

Besides that, the series is one of the few RTSs without that magical unit that takes lots of research and lots of resources but once you have an army of them you are invincible. Your majestic fleet of ion frigates can be taken down by a well managed wing of bombers, but if you only build bombers missile destroyers will obliterate them. No type of unit is dispensable.

DBT85

Its not a full price hike in this case as they are not digital so need to be shipped to the UK. Given the size of of the box and the extra fees they need to pay to trade in the EU, a higher price is understanderble. I do think it should be lower though as we are paying a full $50 more which is no where near the extra cost they need to pay to get it to us.

I have it ordered in anycase because i know i'll kick myself later if i dont.

Lest we forget that £20 of the UK figure is VAT alone.

My god I hope this still plays well on an old hd5850 and 4gb of ram.

I'm in a similar boat. I've got a 6950 clocked to a 6970, but I want it to drive my 30" dell at 2560*1600. Got bless the scalable UI.

Mindlog

I feel the same way. For the fleet fights it was all about preserving your heavies. For many other missions it was about properly using the ship that's obviously being emphasized.
Gehenna was my favorite mission in this regard. A stealth mission in space :]
Holy shit, I never saw or heard of this.....that sounds incredibly awesome haha.

Still have my GOTY copy of this game with the soundtrack, definitely got my pre-order in as well!
Probe Golf and Probe Bombing were a lot of fun, but it really made some people rage. Good times.

deoee

Damn, can't afford that right now :(

Would love to play this gorgeous game >_<
Seems I'd be waiting for a sale...

Corvettes were a bit overpowered, it is true, but it was compensated with other ships.

The only real unbalance I found in both games was the salvaging in 1, after many replays it became a fine art for me, I literally didn't destroy a single capital ship of the enemy, they were all salvaged, and it was actually not that difficult, specially with support frigates and corvettes guarding your salvage corvettes. I felt 2 gave a little balance to that.

Besides that, the series is one of the few RTSs without that magical unit that takes lots of research and lots of resources but once you have an army of them you are invincible. Your majestic fleet of ion frigates can be taken down by a well managed wing of bombers, but if you only build bombers missile destroyers will obliterate them. No type of unit is dispensable.

Salvaging in Homeworld 1 is right up there with the Infinite City Sprawl strategy in earlier Civilization games for game mechanics that are incredibly satisfying to execute but totally break the game in unintended ways. When later games fix the mechanics I miss them terribly, even though I know on some level they're better games for doing so.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man that PAX footage looks so good, but I really don't want to spend money on a Gearbox game.

Bleh.

Maulik

I cancelled my special edition on Amazon. so if someone in the US is interested get on it. I just wanted to get the game sooner rather than later.

Maulik

Also, did anyone else feel like the mothership should have moved a tad faster so it felt more a part of your fleet rather than a giant space station? I always liked how in cataclysm you could make the mothership into an actual giant capital ship that would be formidable in fights.

A-V-B

btw, does anyone know how they're handling the gameplay in HW2? I always felt the full 3d gameplay in HW1 was superior to how HW2 did it. Are they keeping the styles separate? Merging them? What's the scoop?

JZA

I hope I'm not the only one who sorta liked Homeworld Cataclysm...even if the Beast was just the Homeworld version of the Borg. Would love it if this could also be re-released later on.

Mr Swine

Banned
Think Relic or Gearbox will change the Tmat looks in Homeworld? It looked like a living rock but in Homeworld 2 they looked like a star fish

Maulik

I hope I'm not the only one who sorta liked Homeworld Cataclysm...even if the Beast was just the Homeworld version of the Borg. Would love it if this could also be re-released later on.

I loved cataclysm for the way it made the mothership a bigger part of the action.

Portman

Mindlog

Speaking of the OT I don't have a clue of anything funny/witty to put in the title so I may have to pull from the group. So far I'm just thinking of stuff like "the mothership is underway" but I'm under the impression that it is an unspoken rule to make them funny/witty instead of bland.
Probably some play on Gamers Gate.
Or BSG -> HW -> BSG.
We'll workshop it a bit and see what sticks.

Space Banana Rides Again
Homeworld Remaster |OT| Yes! Just Without the, Yes.
Karak. Dessert Planet. Bananas.
She'll Get Us There.

Kind of like that last one.
Anyways. Music.

Portman

Hmm, I see some that are neat. Especially the Yes one since I'm a big fan of the group (that was a double bonus with their music getting used at the end). Also liking the references to the lineage from the game. I'll have to dig out my manual when working on the thread and see if anything jumps out too.

DBT85

Homeworld Remastered |OT| The Time Of Prophecy Is At Hand
Homeworld Remastered |OT| The Mothership Has Arrived
Homeworld Remastered |OT| Hyperspace Coordinates Locked In

An aside, but I feel that Bear McReary could do some excellent music that fit the Homeworld IP, should for some reason he need to.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Homeworld Remastered |OT| The Time Of Prophecy Is At Hand

An aside, but I feel that Bear McReary could do some excellent music that fit the Homeworld IP, should for some reason he need to.

Now flip that around and realize Paul Ruskay probably influenced Bear's score for BSG.

DBT85

Now flip that around and realize Paul Ruskay probably influenced Bear's score for BSG.

Oh if he heard it I have no doubt. EDIT: Though in an interview he claimed to have never heard of Homeworld or Paul Ruskay.

What I'd LOVE is for a BSG mod that is you have the BSG OST, it uses that.

Mindlog

BSG -> HW -> BSG
336osXr.jpg

Acutally Minorty Report, but where did Minority Report get it from? HAHA!

Also, RIP Campbell Lane.
ZqO8ipj.jpg

Original Cylon Hybrid.
Voice of the Bentusi.

Portman

They said all factions will be available in mp. Wonder how hw1 Kushan match against hw2 races and vice versa.

Yeah that is something that I'm curious about. I have a feeling that the multiplayer being released in a beta state has something to do with that.

Mindlog

Homeworld Remastered |OT| At last, they have come for me. I feel their lives, their destinies spilling out before me. The denial of the one true path, played out on a world not their own, will end soon enough. Soon there will be four, glorious in awakening, struggling with the knowledge of their true selves. The pain of revelation bringing new clarity. And in the midst of confusion, he will find her. Enemies brought together by impossible longing. Enemies now joined as one. The way forward at once unthinkable, yet inevitable. And the fifth, still in shadow, will claw toward the light, hungering for redemption that will only come in the howl of terrible suffering. I can see them all. The seven, now six, self-described machines who believe themselves without sin. But in time, it is sin that will consume them. They will know enmity, bitterness, the wrenching agony of one splintering into many. And then, they will join the promised land, gathered on the wings of an angel. Not an end, but a beginning. The Age of S'jet.

Probably a bit too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom