• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 Gets New Direct-Feed Screenshots From Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Mixed impressions in here, some glowing, some middling. Unfortunately about what I expected :(. Still getting it no matter what.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Mixed impressions in here, some glowing, some middling. Unfortunately about what I expected :(. Still getting it no matter what.
The most negative impressions are from someone who's been enjoying the game overall but has some reasonable issues. He even corrected people last night who thought he was negative on the game to say he thought it was solid and his latest update says he's enjoying the game more now.

The parts criticised by Theman2k are also the parts that's always been most divisive about The Order in terms of what we've seen, which is the QTE design choices, and some aspects of the gameplay.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The most negative impressions are from someone who's been enjoying the game overall but has some reasonable issues. He even corrected people last night who thought he was negative on the game to say he thought it was solid and his latest update says he's enjoying the game more now.

Where are these mixed impressions?

Eh not seeing any mixed.

Sure some people might not like certain aspects but they all come to the same conclusion.

Huh..? The impressions in here are pretty positive man. But good that the impressions wont keep you from buying it :)

Im on a phone unfortunately, I just have seen some posts that are troubling. the amount of cutscenes, the talk about quick gameplay sequences squeezed in between cutscenes, better story than gameplay, and a post describing the annoying QTEs and whatnot. Again it's not necassarily negative negative, but it's mixed to a point. We'll see how the media responds to it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One thing that's been great to hear universally from these impressions is that the game gets better as it goes on. Too many games these days lose steam after a strong start.

It'll be interesting to see how the game's pacing ultimately ends up being. One poster finds the beginning had uneven pacing while another says the games pacing is methodical.

It's hard to call anything a positive or negative at this point as we lack the ability to distinguish it from a person's preference.

viveks86

Hey there,
Just wanted to update my impressions, the game really stepped up a notch.
The story is really making major strides, it's really good.
It just became so good and really emotional that you are so invested you want to keep playing.

I mean what i saw now is really top notch stuff, AAA material.
Gets you hooked real hard!
To bad the start wasn't as good, with bad pacing. The game really shines from the middle on. But gameplay still suffers, QTE prove themselves flawed time and time again.
Too bad the high production values suffer from few and short gameplay sequences that are basic and solid.

But the journey overall and the story make a huge big impact to make this game count big time, unlike the dead resistance franchise.

How many hours so far? And you are playing on medium right?

Ricky_R

Not sure how I've been able to remain patient with all this craziness and impresssions, considering how bad I want this game.

Let's see how I handle this week.

delSai

I'm glad so many people here like it. I wont be able to get it at Launch, but it's getting a Purchase later for sure. Never doubt RAD :p

Marvel

could never
Seems to be a lot of love or at least positive vibes towards it than big issues. That's a great thing to read.

This was posted in earlier pages in this thread, dropping it here once again to those who are finding the wait painful!

yoJC2Iwkuop9rXVia4.gif

benzy

Hey there,
Just wanted to update my impressions, the game really stepped up a notch.
The story is really making major strides, it's really good.
It just became so good and really emotional that you are so invested you want to keep playing.

I mean what i saw now is really top notch stuff, AAA material.
Gets you hooked real hard!
To bad the start wasn't as good, with bad pacing. The game really shines from the middle on. But gameplay still suffers, QTE prove themselves flawed time and time again.
Too bad the high production values suffer from few and short gameplay sequences that are basic and solid.

But the journey overall and the story make a huge big impact to make this game count big time, unlike the dead resistance franchise.

Any updated impressions on how you feel about the controls after OneLetter's input?

In addition to that (this is something not really in the tutorial), you can hold circle to move around the ends of cover to execute a 90 degree turn.

Also, for those that asked a few pages back, you can swap the triggers with the shoulder buttons, and swap the analog sticks, all available in the options.

In the options is also where (mentioning it again), you will find Camera Bias, which allows you to swap shoulders the camera is looking over. This is off by default, and once on, you activate it by pressing on the side of the touchpad you want the camera to move to. If you're fast enough, you can play a bit of camera pong. :D

ironcreed

Banned
This was posted in earlier pages in this thread, dropping it here once again to those who are finding the wait painful!

yoJC2Iwkuop9rXVia4.gif

Yep, the detail on everything is just nuts.

The actual gunplay looks great as well. And I saw some nice chunks of it. Heavy Rain, this is not. Thank the gods.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
This seems like a small nitpick but it ruined Dragon's Dogma for me too. There won't be a way to get rid of the black bars right? Like, change the graphics setting to enable full screen and just reduce AA which I'd be ok with? Honestly it's taken my purchase from a "for sure" to a "wait and see"...

vivekTO

This seems like a small nitpick but it ruined Dragon's Dogma for me too. There won't be a way to get rid of the black bars right? Like, change the graphics setting to enable full screen and just reduce AA which I'd be ok with? Honestly it's taken my purchase from a "for sure" to a "wait and see"...

Black bars are there from the Initial Reveal! Why were you "for sure" early , Just wondering.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I'm a few hours in, and I've gotta say this game is a playable movie. That's precisely what RAD intended this to be.

It's almost like a point-and-click adventure game built on TPS elements. The levels themselves aren't levels, they're "sets" where the scenes you control play out.

Finding easter eggs and collectibles don't feel like such in the traditional sense, because the game is so strictly linear and paced and scripted.

There's very little in the way of casual/spontaneous exploration and findings.

If you're okay with sitting along, doing some solid shooting, taking in the artsyle, getting some damn good dialogue fed in, then you will like it. If this restricted form of storytelling videogame offends your free spirited nature, or your idea of game design or...*cough* next-gen game design, then steer clear.

But, it's clear RAD's poured their souls into this. It really does show. It just feels like an old times videogame that happens to be the best looking/most stylish thing you've ever seen.

If you're looking for a bullet point to add to your argument of whether or not games are an art form, this is it. The grace of this game's presentation puts most films (and games) to shame. Ironically, with its old fashioned take on interactivity and player agency, it vindicates the medium in its own way.

I'm sure anyone who's foreign to videogames will take a look at this and say, "well, that's how it's done."

Great start by RAD. They're showing great potential.

Gripes ahead:

It feels a little fluffy on back story so far. It's asking me to take a lot of things at face value as far as the presence of lycans goes, and the history of the Order, etc. It still doesn't feel solidified. For something that strives to be as grounded in reality as possible, the conflict doesn't feel that tangible due to the lack of proper exposition thus far.

I'm a few hours in, and I've gotta say this game is a playable movie. That's precisely what RAD intended this to be.

It's almost like a point-and-click adventure game built on TPS elements. The levels themselves aren't levels, they're "sets" where the scenes you control play out.

Finding easter eggs and collectibles don't feel like such in the traditional sense, because the game is so strictly linear and paced and scripted.

There's very little in the bit casual/spontanueos exploration and findings.

If you're okay with sitting along, doing some solid shooting, taking in the artsyle, getting some damn good dialogue fed in, then you will like it. If this restricted form of storytelling videogame offends your free spirited nature, or your idea of game design or...*cough* next-gen game design, then steer clear.

But, it's clear RAD's poured their souls into this. It really does show. It just feels like an old times videogame that happens to be the best looking/most stylish thing you've ever seen.

If you're looking for a bullet point to add to your argument of whether or not games are an art form, this is it. The grace of this game's presentation puts most films (and games) to shame. Ironically, with its old fashioned take on interactivity and player agency, it vindicates the medium in its own way.

I'm sure anyone who's foreign to videogames will take a look at this and say, "well, that's how it's done."

Great start by RAD. They're showing great potential.

Gripes ahead:

It feels a little fluffy on back story so far. It's asking me to take a lot of things at face value as far as the presence of lycans goes, and the history of the Order, etc. It still doesn't feel solidified. For something that strives to be as grounded in reality as possible, the conflict doesn't feel that tangible due to the lack of proper exposition thus far.
Everything you said excited me. Although, it also sounds like people were right. This is a game that's going to radically divide people.

I love open narratives, but I also really treasure tight, linear, well-written stories. I can't wait to make some art arguments with this game :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom