• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

alex1893 said:
downloaded it because of the SD update. :D

PAL Wii

before:
Version: 3.4E
HBC: 1.0.1
HBB: 0.2.5b
Gecko: 1.07b

now:
Version 4.0E and HBB 0.2.5c, others are the same. The info page on HBC says: IOS36 v12.22 ... don't know if it was different before.

HBC: works
HBB: works (installed a random homebrew game and played it a bit)
Gecko: works (booted up NTSC Zack & Wiki, no problems)

so everything fine again I guess :D :D

Well according to Wiibrew some homebrew is broken. Best to NOT update for now. I'm sure there'll be a workaround very soon (like when the store was updated, etc).

MoogPaul

My NA Wii is working fine, homebrew fine, no saves lost from transferring games to SD, read times of SD card via homebrew seem to be a lot slower though.

And I just bought $20 worth of Wii Points last night that I was going to use today, and now I'm being forced to update to access the Wii Shop Channel. Good grief.

I guess I'll be patient. I'll wait to hear more reports on people installing 4.0 with HBC installed, or hopefully a workaround to let me regain access to the Wii Shop in 3.3U.

Nishastra

Banned
Only things I've got handy to try that no longer work are FCE and SNES9x. I only really use HBC for Geexbox, though, and that works fine :p

marcan has updated regarding 4.0, essentially saying that if you already have HBC and DVDx installed, this update won't break anything and that new exploits are on their way.

marcan said:
English: If you want to use the Wii Shop or the new features, and have HBC and DVDX, then updating safe.

New exploits exist and are on the way.

IOS16 is a lame trick that pirates used to pirate VC/Warez on 3.4, by pirating IOS16 itself.

Zoc

So if I understand the IOS system, new games that come out that say they require 4.0 firmware will all be playable with unofficial versions of Gecko updated with the new IOSs? If so, I think I'll just stay on 3.4.

markatisu

Nishastra said:
Only things I've got handy to try that no longer work are FCE and SNES9x. I only really use HBC for Geexbox, though, and that works fine :p

FCE works fine for me after the 4.0 update (played Ducktales), which version are you using on your HBC?

Have not tried SNES9x but I know VBA GX works after the update

Ramenman

Hmm so if I have my Wii under 3.2E (sans shop channel update, basically havent updated anything at all since the US Brawl update via Freeloader), I can just :

1/ Install HBC, Gecko, whatever.
2/ connect Wii to Internet and accept update

And I'll have an up-to-date Wii able to read region free games ?

That's. Eh. Sounds too easy right ?

Ramenman said:
Hmm so if I have my Wii under 3.2E (sans shop channel update, basically havent updated anything at all since the US Brawl update via Freeloader), I can just :

1/ Install HBC, Gecko, whatever.
2/ connect Wii to Internet and accept update

And I'll have an up-to-date Wii able to read region free games ?

That's. Eh. Sounds too easy right ?

That's pretty much it. I'd also take the time to install DVDX just in case you ever want to run things from a DVD or use your Wii as a DVD player.

woobit said:
Can I use just one SD card to store homebrew and VC games at the same time? Or do I need to swap?

While I haven't had a chance to update yet, I've been storing games on the same SD card that has my homebrew apps plus photos from the camera. :p

Hero

I got bored and decided to install HBC today, which was mostly unnecessary due to me having a modchip inside it but I think the newer updates killed WiiKey.

I'm on 3.3 US firmware with the newest HBC installed. Do I have to do something for the Wii Shop Channel? I remember there being a lot of fuss online back when that firmware update came out.

Hero said:
I got bored and decided to install HBC today, which was mostly unnecessary due to me having a modchip inside it but I think the newer updates killed WiiKey.

I'm on 3.3 US firmware with the newest HBC installed. Do I have to do something for the Wii Shop Channel? I remember there being a lot of fuss online back when that firmware update came out.
I'm wondering this also.

Ramenman

Dragona Akehi said:
That's pretty much it. I'd also take the time to install DVDX just in case you ever want to run things from a DVD or use your Wii as a DVD player.

Okay thanks.

Wasn't there some terrible thing about "you won't be able to save US games on your PAL Wii if you ever update to 3.4 something-something" ?
Or was it just "back up your US saves before because it will erase them".

I'm not looking for problems when they aren't here, but I admit I'm kind of confused that the advice with 3.4 was "don't update" up to yesterday, and now that there's a newer version we can update safely :p

*mindboggles*

Edit : yeah what about Shop Channel too. i never did the "custom update-whatever" for it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Waninkoko just released Firmware Updater 4.0

- This application allows you to update your console's firmware installing only the
needed applications (IOS, System Menu, channels...).

Thanks to it you can keep some features like Trucha bug that affected first IOS
versions.

So I guess they already figured out how to install it without officially installing it

Wario64 said:
Waninkoko just released Firmware Updater 4.0

So I guess they already figured out how to install it without officially installing it
Will the system think it's had a normal 4.0 upgrade? As I've mentioned before, the worst part about never upgrading to 3.4 has been that I keep getting sent messages about how I should update to 3.4. Makes the blinking blue light depressing when it's just that 90% of the time.

Ramenman

Does someone know if "save installer" is one of the "some broken homebrew" under 4.0

I backed up my SSBB save, but i'd feel stupid if I couldn't put it back in after the update erases it. Teehee.

Linkhero1

Ramenman said:
Does someone know if "save installer" is one of the "some broken homebrew" under 4.0

I backed up my SSBB save, but i'd feel stupid if I couldn't put it back in after the update erases it. Teehee.
I think the save installer stopped working with 3.3 October 23rd update.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ramenman said:

'Locked' save files will not copy for the time being, so if you backed up SSB:B on an SD via Homebrew you wont be able to copy it back. I think so, anyway.

JEKKI

o dang. I'm a newbie to homebrew channel.

gotta tag this thread for future reference and research so I can hopefully hook myself up after work!!

:D

I recently updated to Wii 3.8 so I could access the online shop to get Bit Trip Beat... I hope that doesnt screw me!!

pakkit

Banned
Is it possible to get the HBC without the Zelda Twilight Hack or am I much to late to the party? I need my Capcom fighters and Disaster.

Linkhero1

pakkit said:
Is it possible to get the HBC without the Zelda Twilight Hack or am I much to late to the party? I need my Capcom fighters and Disaster.
If you have 4.0 already then it's too late. If you still have 3.4 or lower you can install the HBC. Team Twiizers have other exploits but I'm not sure if they'll reveal them or not.

donny2112

JEKKI said:
I recently updated to Wii 3.8 so I could access the online shop to get Bit Trip Beat... I hope that doesnt screw me!!

There is no 3.8. If you accessed the shop since yesterday, you're probably at 4.0. If you're at 4.0, you'll have to wait for another exploit to be revealed to install the HBC.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
I'm kind of torn about updating, because most of the games I want to play from the Virtual Console I can already play through the various emulators, and with WiiWare stuff I'll usually just beat something and then delete it.

JEKKI

donny2112 said:
There is no 3.8. If you accessed the shop since yesterday, you're probably at 4.0. If you're at 4.0, you'll have to wait for another exploit to be revealed to install the HBC.
are u sure there's no 3.8??

I didnt update yesterday... I did it over the weekend... maybe it's 3.6 or 3.4?... regardless I'll check when I get home

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wii fw went from 3.5 to 4.0. To my knowledge, there was never anything in the 3.5-3.9 range. 3.5 was only released in Korea. JP, EU, and US firmwares only got up to 3.4 before 4.0 hit.

markatisu

JEKKI said:
are u sure there's no 3.8??

I didnt update yesterday... I did it over the weekend... maybe it's 3.6 or 3.4?... regardless I'll check when I get home

It went from 3.2->3.3->3.4->4.0 in the US

3.5 came out in Korea, but that is all that has been released

donny2112

JEKKI said:

You're most likely at 3.4. You can use the Twilight Hack with 3.4 to install the HBC and DVDx before upgrading to 4.0. :)

Ok guys I have the HBC installed and my Wii is updated to 4.0U

I have Paper Mario TTYD (GC), a GC controller but no GC memory card, can the Homebrew channel help me here? (I haven't tried it myself but they say you can't play GC games without a GC memory card).

ok how does one use save extractor? The instructions are a bit lacking.

1. Run this application.
2. Insert the game DVD and press RESET or A button
(Wiimote not supported).

err? It doesn't appear on the HBC app menu.

*edit* oh u have to rename the file to boot. weird that it didn't start out that way.

Ramenman

MrPing1000 said:
ok how does one use save extractor? The instructions are a bit lacking.

1. Run this application.
2. Insert the game DVD and press RESET or A button
(Wiimote not supported).

err? It doesn't appear on the HBC app menu.

*edit* oh u have to rename the file to boot. weird that it didn't start out that way.

I used save extractor yesterday via HBC and it worked perfectly, just use the Homebrew Browser (this thing is so goddamn awesome) to get the latest compatible version.

Hmm.. I'm thinking of applying the Twilight Princess hack to my Wii soon as well. :)

Are there different versions of Twilight Princess? Is there a big error margin? Can I screw up my Wii easily with this?

Yazus

Hi guys, I have a PAL Wii with I think 3.5 Firmware, but I do not own Twilight Princess... is there any way to do the exploit with some other game? Nowhere to borrow it either...

suikodan

Banzaiaap said:
Hmm.. I'm thinking of applying the Twilight Princess hack to my Wii soon as well. :)

Are there different versions of Twilight Princess? Is there a big error margin? Can I screw up my Wii easily with this?

don't really think you can screw anything if you stick to the instructions provided with the HBC "package". It's really easy.

Linkhero1

Yazus said:
Hi guys, I have a PAL Wii with I think 3.5 Firmware, but I do not own Twilight Princess... is there any way to do the exploit with some other game? Nowhere to borrow it either...
There are no other exploits out there to do this with other than Twilight Princess that are known outside of Team Twiizers. In the future there will probably be some new exploit released.

Yazus

Linkhero1 said:
There are no other exploits out there to do this with other than Twilight Princess that are known outside of Team Twiizers. In the future there will probably be some new exploit released.

Oh well I guess this is another reason to buy it :D

Top Bottom