• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

itxaka

Defeatist
beermonkey@tehbias said:
The big and possibly only important question is will it help alleviate the constant in-game loading freezups in House of the Dead: Overkill.

Actually I went to the forum when Waninkoko and Marcan normally shout at each other and there are already people using it (it's 3:30am in spain, wtf?) and they are claiming that it fixes it.

I can see it good for real wii owners to store their games, but this is directly made from a pirate for pirates. I hope Nintendo gets his ass.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
The big and possibly only important question is will it help alleviate the constant in-game loading freezups in House of the Dead: Overkill.

I hear it completely irons out the skipping. Haven't seen it myself though.

Well I've upgraded my Wii to 4.0 so won't be using this but it does appeal to me. I am so use to having all my PC games at a touch of a button that I really hate having to deal with discs.

I watched marcan's video and the loading doesn't seem to be much faster than what I get by disc. Plus you gotta format your drive and I don't wanna. At least this allows for easier Wii dumps, which means more glorious HD videos from dolphin.

Oreoleo

yoopoo said:
Yes. Put the disc in, the app will rip the game to the usb drive in 10-15+ (depending on game size) mins. Then the disc is no longer needed.

So would these rips be able to be used by Dolphin, that Wii emu for PC?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
It cut the load speeds of Brawl by a significant amount. o.o There were a couple of times I thought my wii was acting up when I played brawl. That's pretty cool.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
kiruyama said:
I watched marcan's video and the loading doesn't seem to be much faster than what I get by disc. Plus you gotta format your drive and I don't wanna. At least this allows for easier Wii dumps, which means more glorious HD videos from dolphin.
0.1 seconds isn't faster than 5?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
big_z said:
i dont think it will, it's not dreamcast easy.

Yeah, especially with 4.0 out with no exploits...yet

There seems like a bug with the program, I'm using my old PS3 80 GB HDD in an enclosure and it says there's 2 GB free, weird. Games copy over fast if they're small (Excitetruck only took like 2 minutes)

Haunted

You'd think Nintendo ninjas would be all over that warez guy by now.

Also I don't really get this one. It installs/dumps original retail games on an external USB drive so the loading times are reduced. Where's the piracy?

edit: aside from renting games to dump them to the USB drive I guess. >_<

Ysiadmihi

Banned
This actually might make me play Animal Crossing more. It's annoying having to put the disc in every time to play about 15 minutes or so. Should have been a WiiWare game.

yoopoo

Banned
Wario64 said:
Yeah, especially with 4.0 out with no exploits...yet

There seems like a bug with the program, I'm using my old PS3 80 GB HDD in an enclosure and it says there's 2 GB free, weird. Games copy over fast if they're small (Excitetruck only took like 2 minutes)
Its bot a bug, its just an error in units conversion. All the free space is still there.

Stumpokapow said:
Best part about Waninkoko apps: They're explicitly for-profit. Gotta love in-app advertising.

I'm normally the first to flip at some moron saying "homebrew is piracy", but in the case of the Wii scene, it really has fragmented into two groups. Twiizers are interested in hacking the Wii to enable legit homebrew. Waninkoko is interested in piracy. There's no two bones about that.

My problem here. Unlike essentially every other homebrew hacker such as Dark_Alex, the UMPT team, and marcan and bushing who do this for free, Waninkoko is making a pretty penny off of this.

panda21

itxaka said:
And check out the related Marcan article posted over hackmii:

http://hackmii.com/2009/03/my-6-hour-trip-to-the-dark-side/

Basically: As always Waninkoko is ripping other people homebrew work in order to made it into a piracy solution meanwhile getting a lot of money from it.

And having his personal data all over the internet with photos and everything is not gonna help him if Nintendo goes to catch him. Idiot.

obscure question but is he anything to do with WAB (we are back) from the early psp days? sounds like the same kind of idiot - hanging around homebrew forums asking dumb questions and copying other peoples code while posting blog posts about how clever they are and their amazing new loader releasing soon, all the while collecting paypal donations.

i actually checked once and one of WAB's early non-working loaders was just copied from exactly from code that had been posted on a psp homebrew forum with a few extra bits of code copy pasted from other stuff to make it try and load game roms (which didnt work).

the asking for money is despicable enough but pretending to be a l33t haxxor and acting like you are part of the scene when you're just copying other peoples shit is WEAK

edit:
i was in a usb thread and somehow i ended up in here?! what?!

Hazaro said:
0.1 seconds isn't faster than 5?

well, I guess it depends on the game since it apparently fixes some problems with HOTD, but the startup loading for Brawl is nearly identical :l I've never noticed excessive loading in any games I have, so I don't feel like getting this up and running. That, and I'm lazy.

Another completely illegal and unethical bit about Waninkoko's latest programme is that not only is he essentially writing a wrapper, but he's also using copyrighted Nintendo code. That's bad apples son. (Dark_Alex does high jack Sony official firmware for PSP CFW, but it's available for free from Sony for download, whereas this is not and apparently from a leaked SDK.)

Dragona Akehi said:
Another completely illegal and unethical bit about Waninkoko's latest programme is that not only is he essentially writing a wrapper, but he's also using copyrighted Nintendo code. That's bad apples son. (Dark_Alex does high jack Sony official firmware for PSP CFW, but it's available for free from Sony for download, whereas this is not and apparently from a leaked SDK.)

Well the more slip ups like this he makes the easier it will be for Nintendo to get him prosecuted.

Stitch

Gold Member
Ysiadmihi said:
This actually might make me play Animal Crossing more. It's annoying having to put the disc in every time to play about 15 minutes or so. Should have been a WiiWare game.
the loading times in animal crossing are also very, very, VERY (!!!!!) annoying.

i would try this if i wouldn't need my HDD for idol stuff and japanese adult videos :p

edit: or maybe i could use my USB stick? does this thing create full ISOs (over 4 GB for every game, including 'fake' data) or does it only rip the real data? if it rips only the real data then i could test it with some smaller games.

Zoc

Actually, this sounds useful. If the program is full of ads, though, and I have to flash my Wii, I think I'll pass. Does GAF have a verdict on whether this is worthwhile? I don't care if the author is a douche; if it's good, I'll use it.

itxaka

Defeatist
panda21 said:
obscure question but is he anything to do with WAB (we are back) from the early psp days? sounds like the same kind of idiot - hanging around homebrew forums asking dumb questions and copying other peoples code while posting blog posts about how clever they are and their amazing new loader releasing soon, all the while collecting paypal donations.

i actually checked once and one of WAB's early non-working loaders was just copied from exactly from code that had been posted on a psp homebrew forum with a few extra bits of code copy pasted from other stuff to make it try and load game roms (which didnt work).

the asking for money is despicable enough but pretending to be a l33t haxxor and acting like you are part of the scene when you're just copying other peoples shit is WEAK

edit:
i was in a usb thread and somehow i ended up in here?! what?!

Actually he knows a lot as he was learning from marcan and developed some interesting programs, but it seems like instead of developing something, he rather just sit there, wait for wiibrew developers to do the work and then adapt it for his own benefit.

First he opened the wad installing (pirate vc games) for what he refered to a "mistake" while developing the nand backup utility. Oh, I remember how ashamed he was back then, and how he swore not to play with things that could lead to piracy but it seems that money is better than a clean concience.

tl;dr: He could be a good developer if he wanted, but he rather have money from other people code with a little of his code on top.

Well, he already used nintedo copyrigthed materials in other apps and broke the gnu license of different programs already so...I don't think he gaves a damn already.

Last I heard he has to release 2 programs every 6 months in order to get his money :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Holy shit. I've been scouring some forums to see if there's any progress on the 4.0 hacking front, and it looks like there has been quite a bit of progress.
Looks like some folks out there have released perma-patches that bring Starfall-like functionality to 4.0. I definitely need to read more.
I'd rather not dip into the hazy mire that is Waninkoko's authored goods, but... Tempting.

I was always somewhat irked that I couldn't apply Starfall to my Wii. I love the idea of having a recovery menu or some means to unbrick the console. DEFINITELY need to read more.

brain_stew said:
Well the more slip ups like this he makes the easier it will be for Nintendo to get him prosecuted.

He wasn't the one who extracted the code, but is rather using it with other existing components with a wrapper. He took twenty-two days to make his. marcan, to prove how ludicrously simple it was, due to the already existing components made his in six. Hours.

Mejilan said:
Holy shit. I've been scouring some forums to see if there's any progress on the 4.0 hacking front, and it looks like there has been quite a bit of progress.
Looks like some folks out there have released perma-patches that bring Starfall-like functionality to 4.0. I definitely need to read more.
I'd rather not dip into the hazy mire that is Waninkoko's authored goods, but... Tempting.

I was always somewhat irked that I couldn't apply Starfall to my Wii. I love the idea of having a recovery menu or some means to unbrick the console. DEFINITELY need to read more.

I'd avoid any and all 4.0 "hacks" unless it was from Team Twiizers, much like I'd avoid anything on PSP that isn't from Dark_Alex or UMPT (regarding Pandora battery programmes).

From one homebrew aficionado to another: update and wait for BootMii. It's coming. You have a launch US Wii right? It'll work perfectly, be entirely legitimate and will give you that protection against bricking. The way marcan has been talking, it sounds like it's soon.

Anony

i feel nothing for nintendo

marcan and his team were trying to contact nintendo to help stop waninkoko, they've even publicly posted what he was doing, and how nintendo can stop him
how does nintendo handle it? practically nothing, they rather TRY and prevent people from installing HBC then patching their broken ios'

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
kiruyama said:
well, I guess it depends on the game since it apparently fixes some problems with HOTD, but the startup loading for Brawl is nearly identical :l I've never noticed excessive loading in any games I have, so I don't feel like getting this up and running. That, and I'm lazy.
Starting load up sure.

But the time it takes to start a vs match, load custom levels, is instantaneous compared to the 5+ it took before.

I can only imagine it'll have a very nice boost to other games as well.

Linkhero1

Honestly I would never install/use apps on my Wii that aren't located or available for download on Wiibrew. I think you're just putting yourself at risk if you do.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Dragona Akehi said:
From one homebrew aficionado to another: update and wait for BootMii.
exactly my reaction. as long as HBC works, i'm a happy camper.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Dragona Akehi said:
From one homebrew aficionado to another: update and wait for BootMii. It's coming. You have a launch US Wii right? It'll work perfectly, be entirely legitimate and will give you that protection against bricking. The way marcan has been talking, it sounds like it's soon.

Really? I follow his blog, but I haven't seen or read anything indicating that Bootmii was even close to ready yet. :/

Mejilan said:
Really? I follow his blog, but I haven't seen or read anything indicating that Bootmii was even close to ready yet. :/

The fact they already have an exploit ready for 4.0 says to me it's getting very close. They wouldn't tell people on Hackmii it's safe to update otherwise. I think what is holding it up is the fact they weren't expecting that wild boot1 that started coming out on newer/Korean Wiis.

Cmon, doo eet. You'd be surprised how nicely it works too other than the extra long "download" time because it downloads to the internal memory first and then copies it to the SD card while Mario keeps bopping his head futilely against that last block).

Synless

Ok, I haven't updated my Wii in forever. I have one of the first versions of the HBC on it. If I update it now can I still update my versions of HBC and add other channels through it?? Or should I do it now and then update the system?

Synless said:
Ok, I haven't updated my Wii in forever. I have one of the first versions of the HBC on it. If I update it now can I still update my versions of HBC and add other channels through it?? Or should I do it now and then update the system?

What I'd do is get the latest HBC, name it 'boot.dol' and then put it in the apps folder in a folder named "UPDATE" and run that, then update your Wii.

I'd also install DVDX just in case, too.

Synless

Dragona Akehi said:
What I'd do is get the latest HBC, name it 'boot.dol' and then put it in the apps folder in a folder named "UPDATE" and run that, then update your Wii.

I'd also install DVDX just in case, too.
I'll go that route then.

Synless

lol, actually are there any really good tutorials anyone would recommend to show me how to do this stuff again. It's been too long and I don't want to risk bricking my system.

Synless said:
lol, actually are there any really good tutorials anyone would recommend to show me how to do this stuff again. It's been too long and I don't want to risk bricking my system.

You have HBC already installed right? You have an SD card you had been using with that old version of HBC?

Then download this file and rename the file "boot.dol". Then place it in the folder named "apps" that is sitting in the root of your SD card's memory. Make a folder there named "Update" and put the new boot.dol in there. Then run it from your current Homebrew channel.

Same thing with DVDx.

So your memcard should look like this on your computer:

MS:/apps/UPDATE/boot.dol

and

MS:/apps/DVDX/boot.dol

Then run the HBC channel and run the programmes from there. Easy as pie!

Linkhero1 said:
Is there any benefit to DVDx? I already updated to 4.0 without installing it, but am I really missing that much?

It simply allows the Wii to run homebrew apps/movies/etc./ from the DVD drive. I wasn't using it, but before going to 4.0 I installed it "just in case". I'm sure whenever they release the 4.0 workaround, they'll have one for DVDx too.

Linkhero1

Dragona Akehi said:
It simply allows the Wii to run homebrew apps/movies/etc./ from the DVD drive. I wasn't using it, but before going to 4.0 I installed it "just in case". I'm sure whenever they release the 4.0 workaround, they'll have one for DVDx too.
I didn't know that. Oh well, I'm pretty sure there will be a DVDx for 4.0 sooner or later.

EazyB

Banned
Just installed the HBC to my Wii for the first time. I am very surprised just how easy the process is. Can't wait to see what additional functionality they're able to add with 4.0.

What are the "must have" apps out there?

markatisu

EazyB said:
Just installed the HBC to my Wii for the first time. I am very surprised just how easy the process is. Can't wait to see what additional functionality they're able to add with 4.0.

Gecko OS is a must as it allows import gameplay, then any of the emulators (I like the VBA GX Gameboy emulator myself)

Synless

Sweet, the HBC updates automatically when you click on it. Thanks for the help, it's way easier then I thought it would be.

Linkhero1

EazyB said:

GeckoOS as mentioned above is a must for imports
Snes9x GX is pretty awesome SNES emu as well
Menu Loader (I'm not really sure if it works anymore)
Last but definitely not least, Homebrew Browser

Firestorm

I just installed Homebrew Channel. News of the HDD Loader is amazing. Apparently cuts load times for Brawl stages and such to almost nil. And it seems like it should be really easy to do. Stick disc in, press button, backs up to HDD, then play and no disc even required. It's what I wish my 360 did!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Okay, so I have updated the HBC to 1.0.1 and the Homebrew Browser to 0.2.5c.
I've installed DVDX (I wasn't sure about this), and provided to update every other app I had on my SD card via HB Browser.
Anything else I should do before updating the firmware to 4.0?

wrowa

As much as I don't like Waninkoko, the USB loader sounds pretty nice. The disc drive of my Wii seems to be nearly broken (it's unbelievable loud; louder than any other Wii I've ever seen), so it would be really nice to play my games from usb to spare the disc drive...

And honestly, it doesn't make a bigger deal of piracy than it already is. One can play "backups" on a softmodded Wii since months – and it's easy as goo-pie... Nintendo completely failed in avoiding piracy on Wii.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
wrowa said:
Nintendo completely failed in avoiding piracy on Wii.
As long as they keep thinking preventing new people from installing the HBC will do them any good in fighting piracy, they deserve to fail. They're blatantly ignoring the huge, pink, striped, cel-shaded, whatever, elephant in the room to go after something completely different.

Ramenman

EazyB said:

the Homebrew Browser is so damn awesome it's not even funny.

Putting homebrews in the "apps" folder of you SD card ? Haha. You've got to be kidding me.

Install it, then you can install whatever you want with extra-lazyness.

Dragona Akehi said:
From one homebrew aficionado to another: update and wait for BootMii.

That's what I was thinking today. If my Brawl save (yeah, that again) is backed up to my SD, I'll be able to install it back when BootMii hits right ?
I also have a launch Wii (though EU) so that should be fine.

Top Bottom