• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Ramenman said:
the Homebrew Browser is so damn awesome it's not even funny.

Putting homebrews in the "apps" folder of you SD card ? Haha. You've got to be kidding me.

Install it, then you can install whatever you want with extra-lazyness.
YES.

d+pad

OK, just a few more questions re: the 4.0 update and HBC:

1. Are there any HBC apps that are effectively killed by updating to 4.0?
2. Along similar lines, are there any HBC apps that, if already installed on my Wii, will cause troubles when I go to update to 4.0? I'm just worried that some app might cause my system to brick when I update?
3. I think this has already been answered here, but just in case it hasn't: Will I still be able to update HBC apps (esp. emulators) after I update, or am I stuck with the versions already installed?

edit - 4. Dragona: What exactly will BootMii allow us to do once it has been released?

Thanks for any and all help!

itxaka

Defeatist
Holy fuck, good work waninkoko. Marcan is leaving the scene as soon as he finishes bootmi.

He has comented it on private circles and confirmed it on a spanish forum. Goddam it :_(

Yazus

itxaka said:
Holy fuck, good work waninkoko. Marcan is leaving the scene as soon as he finishes bootmi.

He has comented it on private circles and confirmed it on a spanish forum. Goddam it :_(

He is probably too pissed off, and I'm with him.

darscot

itxaka said:

Waninkoko always stuck me as some young guy that is screwing around trying to learn something. Sure he grabs shit and wraps it and makes take the next steps, that is what software development is all about. His stuff seems pretty cool, sure it makes pirating easier for your average Joe, but I don't blame him for that. That's just the way of the world right now once something is out there its out there and people will do what they like with it.

Marcan on the other hand comes across like an ego maniac. His massive ego and non stop tooting of his own horn just makes him seem like a reject. I assume he's just another loser locked in his moms basement clinging to his online personality. If he was so damn amazing he would have a real job and wouldn't waste his time with some lame online feud.

itxaka

Defeatist
darscot said:
Waninkoko always stuck me as some young guy that is screwing around trying to learn something. Sure he grabs shit and wraps it and makes take the next steps, that is what software development is all about. His stuff seems pretty cool, sure it makes pirating easier for your average Joe, but I don't blame him for that. That's just the way of the world right now once something is out there its out there and people will do what they like with it.

Marcan on the other hand comes across like an ego maniac. His massive ego and non stop tooting of his own horn just makes him seem like a reject. I assume he's just another loser locked in his moms basement clinging to his online personality. If he was so damn amazing he would have a real job and wouldn't waste his time with some lame online feud.

lol

Okay, first stealing code, breaking copyrights and taking the fame for other people works all for earning money is not software development.

Second, actually Marcan has a real job, he helps a lot to other people (even explaining to me directly why it was difficult to make a framebuffer screenshot grabber) and has been giving conferences in different places talking about security and such. He is like totally the other side of what you talk about.

But I'm just gonna assume you are just trolling or don't know shit about any of them.

darscot

itxaka said:
lol

Okay, first stealing code, breaking copyrights and taking the fame for other people works all for earning money is not software development.

Second, actually Marcan has a real job, he helps a lot to other people (even explaining to me directly why it was difficult to make a framebuffer screenshot grabber) and has been giving conferences in different places talking about security and such. He is like totally the other side of what you talk about.

But I'm just gonna assume you are just trolling or don't know shit about any of them.

I agree the fact that he is making money off this now does not sit well with me. I assume he's not really making much. But hey, college isn't cheap and I did what I could to make a buck during those years. Also these are two online IDs in my mind, personally I can't equate fame or credit to them in anyway. Credit for what making some hacked up apps for the wii.

Also Marcan may very well be the doing some good, I don't pretend to really know him. Just his online ranting makes him look like a tool.

I'm not pro piracy in anyway, but people are always going to fuck around with stuff. I don't blame the creator for what other people do with it.

markatisu

darscot said:
I'm not pro piracy in anyway, but people are always going to fuck around with stuff. I don't blame the creator for what other people do with it.

But the problem is that this stuff Waninkoko releases is not being created with piracy as a side effect, its being done explicitly to enable the pirating of games on the Wii. And the fact he is profiting on it is one of the big issues, that alone removes him from just doing it as a hobby to breaking the copyrights for profit.

They sold HDloader at a profit when it was first released too, before Sony shut them down. I found that rather unsavory, but if you think I don't take advantage of HDL for sure (for legit purposes) of course not. Hell, ToxicOS was made to exclusively run on the DMC4 modchip.

That's how I approach this. Yeah, Waninkoko is shady, but he delivered something that allows me to stop shuffling discs for free. That's enough for me. ;)

Dalthien

Dragona Akehi said:
From one homebrew aficionado to another: update and wait for BootMii. It's coming. You have a launch US Wii right? It'll work perfectly, be entirely legitimate and will give you that protection against bricking. The way marcan has been talking, it sounds like it's soon.

So we don't have to worry about Nintendo silently updating our Wii any longer? I'm still on 3.2 because I remember people were worried that 3.4 would give Nintendo permission to install updates without notification, thus possibly affecting homebrew apps with a future update.

Is that not a concern any longer?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Dalthien said:
So we don't have to worry about Nintendo silently updating our Wii any longer? I'm still on 3.2 because I remember people were worried that 3.4 would give Nintendo permission to install updates without notification, thus possibly affecting homebrew apps with a future update.

Is that not a concern any longer?
IIRC the functionality isn't there: They just redid the ToS so that in the future if/when they DO add the functionality, it's okay.

d+pad said:
OK, just a few more questions re: the 4.0 update and HBC:

2. Along similar lines, are there any HBC apps that, if already installed on my Wii, will cause troubles when I go to update to 4.0? I'm just worried that some app might cause my system to brick when I update?
3. I think this has already been answered here, but just in case it hasn't: Will I still be able to update HBC apps (esp. emulators) after I update, or am I stuck with the versions already installed?

edit - 4. Dragona: What exactly will BootMii allow us to do once it has been released?

Thanks for any and all help!

I have those same doubts...

darscot

markatisu said:
But the problem is that this stuff Waninkoko releases is not being created with piracy as a side effect, its being done explicitly to enable the pirating of games on the Wii. And the fact he is profiting on it is one of the big issues, that alone removes him from just doing it as a hobby to breaking the copyrights for profit.

I'm not trying to say what he is doing is in any way legal. Also I don't think his main goal is piracy, he seems to want to learn. Now that he is making money he obviously getting away from that but hey don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Part of this is human nature, if they taught you how to blow up mail boxes in chemistry a lot more dudes would be enrolled. I'm not saying they should do that but sometimes things of that nature are just more intriguing. If it wasn't him it would just be someone else. I personally don't blame the guys hacking away online for piracy. Its up to Nintendo to secure there system. I don't support piracy in anyway, but I'm not going to say I'm above it either. If I was poor I'ld probable be all over this but hey I went to college and now I can afford to buy a game when I want it.

lopaz

Banned
I can never get a lot of the games from HBC to work, like Tyrian :(. I've even deleted them and reinstalled after each update

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
itxaka said:

That's discouraging. He won't even continue to support it post-release?
Bushing, perhaps?

Linkhero1

New exploit has been found that does not require a game or even the dvd drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQoEneMQ4R4

This is a PREVIEW of an exploit in the system menu that comex found that will let us run custom code on an UN MODDED WII , which means we can basically set up homebrew on a wii without twilight princess, or even a dvd drive. It's just a channel on an SD card. Currently it is just set up to load the HBC but more will come soon.

This may be one of the exploits that Team Twiizers has known about.

CTLance

I hope that Marcan leaving is just an elaborate April fools joke. Little reason to believe that, but hey, hope springs eternal.

Somnid

Given how he did it it's either fake (which is alwasy possible) or maybe a buffer overload from some code that reads the SD card and displays the icons. Eitherway it's a dead-end because the system menu is fully patchable meaning this will get killed a lot faster than the Twilight hack. The only worthwhile ones are on disc games which can't really be updated, which is why Nintendo is so anal about anything reading directly from the SD card. If there were to be an exploit there they could not patch it.

Edit: Sounds like I was right on the money: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Main_Page
This'll be good for like a month.

If Homebrew Channel needs to be on the NAND for his hack to run it, then it doesn't really help those who've upgraded and can't install stuff on the NAND. It was IOS16 with the trucha bug that enabled that IIRC, as far as I'm aware this doesn't re-enable that bug. I'm curious to hear what is and what isn't actually possible.

And I'm prepared for it to still be a fake too. I hate this day.

WiiBrew's "Comex" info page says info is kept because it is "humorous"
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/User:Comex

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
radioheadrule83 said:
If Homebrew Channel needs to be on the NAND for his hack to run it, then it doesn't really help those who've upgraded and can't install stuff on the NAND. It was IOS16 with the trucha bug that enabled that IIRC, as far as I'm aware this doesn't re-enable that bug. I'm curious to hear what is and what isn't actually possible.
The bug apparently allows them to run arbitrary code, much more than just loading the HBC from NAND. So, it could probably be exploited to run the necessary code to install it (the trucha bug was fixed by Nintendo with firmware 3.3 IIRC, and latter versions of the Twilight Hack didn't require it to install the HBC).

radioheadrule83 said:
And I'm prepared for it to still be a fake too. I hate this day.
Yeah, too bad this is also a possibility.

EDIT:
radioheadrule83 said:
WiiBrew's "Comex" info page says info is kept because it is "humorous"
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/User:Comex
-_-'

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
darscot said:

for profit
stolen code
takes steps explicitly designed to enable piracy, happy to admit it

not for profit
contributes to community
doesn't like for-profit outfits stealing his work
takes steps to hack specifically to enable homebrew and specifically not to enable piracy

Spy

How can some of you be so anti-piracy when you use your softmodded Wii to run emulators? Is that not piracy?

Spy said:
How can some of you be so anti-piracy when you use your softmodded Wii to run emulators? Is that not piracy?

Some of us have hundred of carts and want to play them via a nicer visual output or don't want to have about sixteen systems in around the telly.

Threi

notag
Spy said:
Well some people own the original and are just extremely anal about convenience.

This is exactly why I take advantage of the trucha stuff, no matter if marcan brands it as piracy/warez, it enabled me to inject my personally dumped SNES carts into my legitimately purchased VC channel and get around N's inability or unwillingness to release Earthbound or Uniracers and get it on my Wii. Like I said, I join you guys in disgust of for-profit piracy and agree that he deserves whatever's coming to him in spades, but the shady work by Waninkoko and friends has made my Wii a much more comprehensive legit retro gaming station than it was before and resolved my VC stress in a very satisfactory manner.

Threi said:
Well some people own the original and are just extremely anal about convenience.

Why yes, yes I am. ;) I have this stack of plastic tubs in my closet laid out all OCD-like with each of my systems and all the cords/etc. and I don't like them to be disturbed unless absolutely necessary.

d+pad

So, no one can answer the following questions?

2. Along similar lines, are there any HBC apps that, if already installed on my Wii, will cause troubles when I go to update to 4.0? I'm just worried that some app might cause my system to brick when I update.

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated, as I desperately want to download Mappy from the Shop Channel :)

Mejilan

Spent most of last night researching the best way to update 4.0. Decided to install DVDX (for the fuck of it), and a little back door (just in case), then went ahead and updated via Nintendo.

4.0 is pretty amazing so far, and with all the progress being made to hack it, things bode well for the future. With apps like the new Preloader and StartPatch, they've even managed to bring Starfall-like functionality to 4.0. Things are looking pretty damn good.

HDLoader on my PS2 so charmed me, that I'm seriously looking into USB Loader, despite my misgivings regarding its creator, Waninkoko.

d+pad said:
So, no one can answer the following questions?

Well ok.

I've heard that SNES9X has some problems loading but I imagine a workaround will be up soon. Stuff like GeckoOS is still fine.

2. Along similar lines, are there any HBC apps that, if already installed on my Wii, will cause troubles when I go to update to 4.0? I'm just worried that some app might cause my system to brick when I update.

All HBC apps are stored on your SD card, so there shouldn't be an issue.

As mentioned in No. 2, all apps are based on your SD card, not the Wii's internal memory. The purpose of the Homebrew Channel is to be a gateway to your SD card. So yes, you'll be able to update the programmes on your card. You may not be able to update the HBC itself until there is a workaround (though one is promised).

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated, as I desperately want to download Mappy from the Shop Channel :)

Well go update and buy Mappy then!

Mejilan

Yeah, I updated just fine and purchased Super Punch Out and Tower of Druaga.

It bears mentioning, that if you change your mind and want to downgrade to 3.2 or similar, you'll need to engage in somewhat shady shenanigans in order to install a backdoor, of sorts. BEFORE updating to 4.0.

darscot

Stumpokapow said:
not for profit
contributes to community
doesn't like for-profit outfits stealing his work
takes steps to hack specifically to enable homebrew and specifically not to enable piracy

Why do people give him a free pass on the whole SaveMii fiasco. He was trying to sell a piece of crap dongle when he knew full well you could do the same thing for free. If that's not for profit I don't know what is. So you can spare me the BS, they are both cut from the same cloth just one rants about how great he is and preaches a lot of anti-piracy BS that I don't personally believe for a second.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
darscot said:
Why do people give him a free pass on the whole SaveMii fiasco. He was trying to sell a piece of crap dongle when he knew full well you could do the same thing for free. If that's not for profit I don't know what is.

there is a difference between making a physical product, which costs you out-of-hand to produce, selling it, and supporting it... and distributing an app with built-in ads and cooperating with commercial piracy outfits.

do you see the difference?

So you can spare me the BS, they are both cut from the same cloth just one rants about how great he is

you are calling him egotistical. in comparison to this guy:
c5cVQkc.jpg

talking about the things you have accomplished is not ranting about how great you are. i'm not sure how else to put it--when marcan says "we have managed to decipher the new boot1 appearing in korean wiis", do you read it as "MARCAN IS THE BEST BOW 2 TEH MARCANZ"? because that's not what he's writing.

and preaches a lot of anti-piracy BS that I don't personally believe for a second.

okay, well, we'll look at the evidence here:
- does marcan talk about how he supports piracy? No. In fact, he says the opposite. You reject this evidence, because ... well... IT'S BS!!!!!!
- does marcan code and release code in a way that supports piracy? No. In fact, he specifically strives not to enable piracy. He offers solutions to Nintendo about how to prevent piracy while enabling homebrew. He gives tech talks about the distinction between enabling homebrew and enabling piracy. You reject this evidence, because IT'S BS!!!!!

and the evidence in your corner:
- Internet poster darscot believes marcan supports piracy.

Also note that you're slamming marcan in COMPARISON to Waninkoko. Even in your conspiracy where marcan is some sort of messianic secret pirate, Waninkoko is openly participating in and profiting from commercial piracy. Even under the most negative light possible, marcan is going to come off smelling like roses.

darscot

Marcan openly stated that he found out about the free solution that rendered his savemii product useless, but kept it quiet. Marcan was openly trying to profit he just got found out before he made and money. He was trying to profit off all the pirates out there that fuck up there wii. He was trying to make it safer for them to do. If you want to split hairs and say he is personally against piracy whatever man, he was happy to take money from pirates that should have gone to the industry.

The fact that he says its all about the homebrew, forgive my skepticism but that pretty much covers a huge percentage of the pirates out there, Its all about the homebrew, I've never heard that before.

Fuck if you think Marcan is the lord and savior I could care less I just said I think he comes of as tool.

In my mind both these guys are cut from the same cloth, I just find one a little more personable.

itxaka

Defeatist
A Twisty Fluken said:
This is exactly why I take advantage of the trucha stuff, no matter if marcan brands it as piracy/warez, it enabled me to inject my personally dumped SNES carts into my legitimately purchased VC channel and get around N's inability or unwillingness to release Earthbound or Uniracers and get it on my Wii. Like I said, I join you guys in disgust of for-profit piracy and agree that he deserves whatever's coming to him in spades, but the shady work by Waninkoko and friends has made my Wii a much more comprehensive legit retro gaming station than it was before and resolved my VC stress in a very satisfactory manner.

Actually Waninkoko didn't discover the trucha hack. And didn't help into injecting roms into wads. He made a wad installer/uninstaller that could be used for injecting roms, but the main use was to install VC games and create an utility to create those same VC games.

So kind of not the same, he never approached it as that. It was other users the ones that discover how to injects roms into wads.

itxaka said:
Actually Waninkoko didn't discover the trucha hack. And didn't help into injecting roms into wads. He made a wad installer/uninstaller that could be used for injecting roms, but the main use was to install VC games and create an utility to create those same VC games.

So kind of not the same, he never approached it as that. It was other users the ones that discover how to injects roms into wads.

I realize that, thus the "and friends." Like I said, I freely acknowledge the shadiness of it all, it just came in handy for me for legit purposes, regardless of how malicious the intentions were at work. I feel precisely the same way about the HDD loader.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A Twisty Fluken said:
I realize that, thus the "and friends." Like I said, I freely acknowledge the shadiness of it all, it just came in handy for me for legit purposes, regardless of how malicious the intentions were at work. I feel precisely the same way about the HDD loader.

I certainly agree. It goes without saying that even by-pirate for-pirate products can be used by legit users for legit reasons.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
darscot said:
Marcan openly stated that he found out about the free solution that rendered his savemii product useless, but kept it quiet. Marcan was openly trying to profit he just got found out before he made and money.

I'm not familiar with the "free solution", but I'll yield to Twiizers on this one about why the device was sold to begin with

Q. Are you guys selling out? Are you trying to make a profit out of the misery of others? Why not sell a kit?

A. We don’t think so. This isn’t something like a “PowerSaves” SD card, where we’ve taken a normal piece of hardware and copied some files to it, and then passed it off as a “hack”. This is a device that we spent considerable time designing and testing; we then spent a lot of money in advance to have a batch of PC Boards professionally produced. Each device is then professionally hand-assembled by bushing or myself (we make them in our kitchens, but I bet you won’t be able to tell). We think you will be happy with the result; for those of you with otherwise-useless Wiis, this will save you a considerable amount of money.

But for the true cynics, it should be noted that when the threat of SaveMii clones came up, marcan argued that since there's significant upfront cost involved in getting a run of these things, clone sales would make it financially untenable (again, suggesting that there's little if any margin here), to continue and he'd just release everything for free to take the bottom out of the market. I guess you could just reply with "YEAH WELL WE CAN'T TRUST HIS WORDS OR ACTIONS I KNOW THE REAL EVIL MARCAN" but I think at some point you have to view the evidence and realize that it doesn't really support your conclusion.

He was trying to make it safer for them to do. If you want to split hairs and say he is personally against piracy whatever man, he was happy to take money from pirates that should have gone to the industry.

Bricked Wiis were somewhat common when the homebrew scene was starting. While it's true that pirates likely bricked their Wiis, they're not a primary audience here. Unless you seriously believe any and all hacking is necessarily piracy, you recognize the overwhelmingly innocent functionality of a recovery dongle.

... a recovery dongle, which, by the way, does not allow any kind of piracy.

The fact that he says its all about the homebrew, forgive my skepticism but that pretty much covers a huge percentage of the pirates out there, Its all about the homebrew, I've never heard that before.

Right, but there's a difference between someone who says "lol *wink wink* homebrew am i rite my buds on gba temp lololool btw plz seed torrent" and somebody who legitimately dedicates his hacking to actual homebrew. Edit: and from the looks of it, the admins also value that distinction.

I don't know if you've read any of the hackmii blog or watched the 25c3 talk, but very frequently marcan delineates the distinction between actions which enable only homebrew, and "grey area" actions which enable homebrew and piracy. He doesn't do the latter, or at least has avoided it as much as possible. He doesn't use stolen Nintendo code. He moved away from WADs ASAP because they were dual use.

You're more likely to find homebrewers who criticize marcan for his unwillingness to head down dual-use roads than you are people criticizing marcan for "supporting piracy".

Fuck if you think Marcan is the lord and savior I could care less I just said I think he comes of as tool.

There's no need to be rude, but while we're at it, the caring continuum will help you not come of as tool:
caring.png

In my mind both these guys are cut from the same cloth, I just find one a little more personable.

In a contest of who is more personable, I would vote against the self-rendered super saiyan.

So, I'm still on 3.2. Is Starfall worth installing? I've read that it can make my Wii brick-proof as long as I stay on this firmware. Is this true? Anyone have experience with it?

itxaka

Defeatist
Stumpokapow said:
I certainly agree. It goes without saying that even by-pirate for-pirate products can be used by legit users for legit reasons.

Of course. Wad manager is an example of it. I posted some pages ago a method to backup your own channels from your nand and then restore them. Not possible without the wad installer, for example.

darscot
Banned
(Today, 12:35 AM)

I <3 Dragona

Mejilan

Vyse The Legend said:
So, I'm still on 3.2. Is Starfall worth installing? I've read that it can make my Wii brick-proof as long as I stay on this firmware. Is this true? Anyone have experience with it?

4.0 now has a working version of Preloader, which also helps one recover from bricks, or so I'm told. It's only been a few days, but 4.0 is quickly becoming the new 3.2, assuming your properly prep your Wii BEFORE updating to 4.0. 3.2 is probably still the most homebrew-friendly, but the gap is closing pretty quickly.

Mejilan said:
4.0 now has a working version of Preloader, which also helps one recover from bricks, or so I'm told. It's only been a few days, but 4.0 is quickly becoming the new 3.2, assuming your properly prep your Wii BEFORE updating to 4.0. 3.2 is probably still the most homebrew-friendly, but the gap is closing pretty quickly.

What is "properly prepping"? That shady backdoor you speak of?

I'm on 3.3 and held off on updating when Nintendo changed the ToS and haven't done Wiibrew's shop or Mii channel updates either. Should I just update straight to 4.0 if I've already got HBC going?

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I'm on 3.3 and held off on updating when Nintendo changed the ToS and haven't done Wiibrew's shop or Mii channel updates either. Should I just update straight to 4.0 if I've already got HBC going?

Again I'd install DVDx too, at the very least. As for the TOS, it seems that the new TOS is simply a clearer rewording. If you're worried, just turn off WiiConnect24.

Dragona Akehi said:
Again I'd install DVDx too, at the very least. As for the TOS, it seems that the new TOS is simply a clearer rewording. If you're worried, just turn off WiiConnect24.
I installed DVDx ages ago, but I don't have a media player loaded yet :|

So basically, what I'm asking is - will it be safe for me to simply update my firmware via the official means, or should I use Wiibrew's workarounds, then update?

d+pad

Just updated and all of my HBC aps load and work perfectly. Yay!

Loving the whole SD channel thingy. All of my VC and WW downloads are now on my SD, leaving my Wii front page (or whatever it's called) looking nice and clean :)

Oh, and I downloaded Mappy. Now Nintendo just needs to get Donkey Kong and DK Jr. on there...

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I installed DVDx ages ago, but I don't have a media player loaded yet :|

So basically, what I'm asking is - will it be safe for me to simply update my firmware via the official means, or should I use Wiibrew's workarounds, then update?

Wiibrew's workarounds won't do a thing I imagine. I just updated straight from 3.3 (before the store update) and everything is working here fine (except SNES9x isn't working or doesn't like the SDHC card)...

Top Bottom