• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII - Post Mortem

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Yaweee said:
That scene is amazing. Matsuno and whoever does cutscene direction/camera/blocking for him are the best in the profession (FFT and VS are pretty damn great like that, too).
Jun Akiyama (event director of Vagrant Story, Kingdom Hearts 1, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII)

One of the best directed and acted scenes in the game is when Gabranth has to kill the female Judge in front of Vayne and her peers. It was shot BEAUTIFULLY and so well done. Everything from the camera placement to the music. Just amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2nyQyFG0ds
This one's also one of the best the game has to offer (starts at minute 1.20). There's a moment in this cutscene where Ashe looks at Vaan before making her big decision, which shows Vaan's importance as a character (and especially as a representation of the Dalmascan citizens) in an extremely subtle way.

EDIT: And yeah, Revenant Wings focus on Vaan and Penelo and their sky pirate adventures. There's some nice character development there as well. The story's pretty nice, as long as you keep in mind it's supposed to be simple & fun, and the game's not a spin-off quality game like FF tactics, but something more like FFX-2. When seen as a small expansion of FFXII's story (ormore correctly, a completely new side-story that expands upon the FFXII's characters), RW's story is sweet at that. It has some pretty nice moments regarding the characters interactions, relationships, personal conflicts, etc; which is exactly what FFXII needed more.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The problem is those cutscene are paced between hours of just walking around with no party interaction. Not even a party talk button like in DQ VIII. The game felt empty and many relationship and plot strings that could have filled the void were absent.

I forget which town(I think it was that one that was kind of optional) it was but there was a shopkeeper watching the sunset over a vast canyon and for the longest time I though his description said "Pretentious merchant".
I was wrong. =/

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
FFXIV

Plot: Reddas and Balthier go pirating and get all the ladies. End summary

Also ship battles and shoving Vaan out the cargo bay doors

Lightning

Banned
Himuro said:
I don't even consider the Bahamut the game's final dungeon. That place is basically 3 rooms. No, the Pharos. That's the real final dungeon, and an epic one at that.
Bahamut was just a means to an end, nothing more. Considering the size of Bahamut S-E could have made that section into something really special but instead they gave us a means to an end.

Pharos, Feywood, Giruvgean(sp) rocked. Too bad it took the entire game to get to them. :lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
One of my favorite games ever.
(Im not an RPG guy... i havent played FF VII for example)

I keep forgetting that the cutscene director for FF Versus 13 is the same guy who did Vagrant Story, Kingdom Hearts, and Final Fantasy XII and every time I discover this fact again my hope for the game goes up by a lot. He's so, so good (Kingdom Hearts had very well done cutscenes in my opinion - the voiced ones, anyway).

Yaweee said:
That scene is amazing. Matsuno and whoever does cutscene direction/camera/blocking for him are the best in the profession (FFT and VS are pretty damn great like that, too).

The cutscenes in this and VS both have a sense of... cinematography about them that I just love. That they took the time to properly think about camera is just cool to me, and puts it a step above absolutely everything else in the genre.

Thinking about it now, Kingdom Hearts was pretty good in that regard too.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Camera positioning in cutscenes, both in game and out, needs improvement. Some games have such lazy camera work, and its killing me as a film lover.

Fady K

Himuro said:
Is Renevant Wings worth playing?

As somebody who's finished it, i'd say a definite no. The game was poor in almost every area except for the cool background graphics. Worst of all, it makes me look back at FFXII's piss poor plot with my head up, because they actually make the plot quite worse here.

Himuro said:
I feel that FFXII is so so so close to being the best Final Fantasy. It has all the makings of it, but it falls short (random loot, license board, the vanilla story and characters). Like you said, for every good thing in FFXII, there's something negative about it.

Ikael, I thought that the game was unrewarding in its gameplay like you. Until I started doing hunts. By doing hunts you unlock really useful, exclusive skills and magicks and you seriously have to work for it.

I feel to truly enjoy the game you must do hunts.

I agree, hunts were a big part of my enjoyment with FFXII. Though I loved the game anyway, but my biggest gripe, hands down, is the plot. The plot should have been MUCH MUCH bigger. Awaiting the games release during the four years since it was announced, I was so excited for Matsuno's involvement it felt like this would be the Final Fantasy game (and story) I always wanted. A lot of the Vagrant Story team worked on the game, and Vagrant Story holds an EXTREMELY special place in my gaming memories. After the intro cutscene, I was confident the plot was heading in the direction i dreamed of. Unfortunately, less than 5 hours later, it goes down, and down, and down.

Fady K

chicken_ramen said:
The cutscenes in this and VS both have a sense of... cinematography about them that I just love. That they took the time to properly think about camera is just cool to me, and puts it a step above absolutely everything else in the genre.

Thinking about it now, Kingdom Hearts was pretty good in that regard too.

Oh man, I LOVED the cinematography in Vagrant Story. Like, throughout the entire game.

antiloop

Single player MMO:s aren´t my thing. Enjoyed the battle system though.

If you only really like this FF you need to play MMO:s instead of suggesting terrible changes to this franchise.

BTW: I picked FFXII up again and am starting a brand new game.
I blame Himuro.

Currently at:
"The Treaty would be signed with Steel and Writ in royal Blood."

Yep...just started.

Time to Reks somebody's shit.(groan)

"Do you see the marker above my head?"
4th wall broken with the fury.

Ugh Dalmascans wear sandals. blechhhhh

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
PepsimanVsJoe said:
BTW: I picked FFXII up again and am starting a brand new game.
I blame Himuro.

Currently at:
"The Treaty would be signed with Steel and Writ in royal Blood."

Yep...just started.

Time to Reks somebody's shit.(groan)

Have fun with the plot while its there...

Totz

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I think I'll go after the Zodiac Spear this time. Why not? It's not like there's anything good in the chests anyway.

The Zodiac Spear pretty much breaks the game. My Balthier is like a Terminator: Zodiac Spear + Gambits that set up Haste, Brave and Bubble.

Good luck having fun at the Pharos with a setup like that. I walked around, waited until Balthier slaughtered everything, walked some more, waited until Balthier slaughtered everything, etc.

Fine by me. Last time I picked this game up I beat it and did a fair number of the sidequests. I was going to save a replay for International + Zodiac Braves/whatever the improved version was called but since it'll never be localized I have little choice.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Totz said:
The Zodiac Spear pretty much breaks the game. My Balthier is like a Terminator: Zodiac Spear + Gambits that set up Haste, Brave and Bubble.

Good luck having fun at the Pharos with a setup like that. I walked around, waited until Balthier slaughtered everything, walked some more, waited until Balthier slaughtered everything, etc.

The game easy anyways, especially if you go get the Deathbringers as soon as possible.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lightning said:
Meh!

Tournesol>>>>>Zodiac Spear in both usefulness and badass looks.

Isnt the Tournesol harder to get? All you have to do for the Spear is print a paragraph on it off GFAQs and miss some crates

Oh, you only need nine items:

- Gemsteel x3
- Empyreal Soul x3
- Serpentarius x3

Nine items that need to be made with other items of the most ridiculous drop chances. I remember spending hours farming for Hell-Gate's Flames and Soul Powders. However, the other items came rather quickly. Still, it doesn't detract from one of my most cherished RPG experiences of last generation.

vareon

My second favorite FF indeed, second only to VI but VI won only because of nostalgia. Liked the political theme, liked the dialogues, liked the cutscenes, liked the battle system (but not the license grid) and also liked The Leading Man.

Lightning

Banned
SabinFigaro said:

- Gemsteel x3
- Empyreal Soul x3
- Serpentarius x3

Nine items that need to be made with other items of the most ridiculous drop chances. I remember spending hours farming for Hell-Gate's Flames and Soul Powders. However, the other items came rather quickly. Still, it doesn't detract from one of my most cherished RPG experiences of last generation.
Yes, obtaining is rather difficult or should I say mildly time consuming but for the best weapon of the game it's well well worth it and you can obtain it straight after the Draklor Laboratories. If you don't bother with the Canopic Jap the High Arcana can also be annoying. The Soul of Thamasa is another pain item to get.

Yaweee

Totz said:

The Zodiac spear isn't that much more powerful than other late game weapons. Going around completely destroying everything with basic attacks is how the game normally is. FFXII is horribly broken no matter what you do.

neoism

Yaweee said:
The Zodiac spear isn't that much more powerful than other late game weapons. Going around completely destroying everything with basic attack is how the game normally is. FFXII is horribly broken no matter what you do.
The spear for me was verrry useful, I got it around level 36. My Basch was a bad ass fo the rest of the game. I did stop using it when I got the Tournesol though, still an awesome spear if you get it early in the game!

darkwings

Banned
Lightning said:
Meh!

Tournesol>>>>>Zodiac Spear in both usefulness and badass looks.

there is a magic staff that is pretty awesome as well (dont remember the name), but it can be gotten in the depths of pharos.

Whoo that Flowering Cactoid was a serious dick. About halfway through the fight he leads through all these packs of wolves then to top it off he slaps Penelo with 1,000 needles(we're only level 5). =(

Oh well guess I'll go to Giza and do my thing.

Went to Nalbina and scored some better stuff. :D

SabinFigaro said:

- Gemsteel x3
- Empyreal Soul x3
- Serpentarius x3

The Tournesol took me sooo long to get, but damn is it badass.

Matchew

Since I have been reading this thread I decided to go back to FF12 and try to beat the last boss, but I need to level up some. Where is the best place to level up and gain levels quick?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SFGamer said:
Since I have been reading this thread I decided to go back to FF12 and try to beat the last boss, but I need to level up some. Where is the best place to level up and gain levels quick?

The skeleton bridge in the mines

Just wanted to thank this OP and Himuro, went out and purchased FFXII -- it was only $12.99, so what the hell.

Just finished escaping the Leviathan and taking out that giant-ish serpent for a hunt. I'm liking it a whole lot.

Thanks again.

Red Scarlet

SFGamer said:
Isn't the enemy's pretty low level there

If you don't have any side areas unlocked..probably the place at the end of Giruvegan. There should be some 'invisible' ghost zombie soldier guys that can spawn like crazy and give lots of exp. Just don't get lost...otherwise it'd be walking through the Pharos.

Okay now I'm in the Barheim passage. One of the nice things I'll say about the dungeons in this game is that they go by pretty smoothly. Then again that's probably because the last RPG I played through before this was Phantasy Star 2.

I still think the HUGE boss attacks are stupid...but that's mainly because I can't see my character's status so I'm not sure if they're in the clear.

In other good news..apparently I'm in the clear regarding the Zodiac Spear, as long as I don't suddenly feel the urge to find out what Dalan keeps outfront of his house.

Also this game I'm going to make it a point to have Balthier, Penelo, and Fran as my main party. Last time it was Vaan(I know), Ashe(I KNOW), and Basch.

Oaken Pole woot.

Lol giant Electro-mimic went down like that.

Okay Vaan this is your chance! Punch Basch in the face!...Oh wait..nevermind.

darkwings

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
If you don't have any side areas unlocked..probably the place at the end of Giruvegan. There should be some 'invisible' ghost zombie soldier guys that can spawn like crazy and give lots of exp. Just don't get lost...otherwise it'd be walking through the Pharos.

the monsters at depths of pharos gives a lot of exp.

zoukka

Such a weird game. At times it triggered my farming instincts and I did hunts like crazy. Then it somehow got me depressed about gambits, sucky summons and crazy limit system. Those and the not-plot.

I think I would've enjoyed it much more with turn based combat somehow. I did play FFX like 100% through.

mr_nexus

Banned
RocketDarkness said:
Man, I loved this game. By far my favorite Final Fantasy, and for a long time, it was probably my favorite RPG of all time (Though TWEWY and Persona 3/4 have toppled it since). I don't care what anyone says, the storytelling was perfect. The direction on the cutscenes really put a lot of emphasis on subtle expressions and the like.

I remember when the game came out, I picked up the limited edition guide, and was bummed out about getting Pannelo. Yet somehow, by the end of the game, I liked her character just as much as everyone else. Funny how that works.

You were lucky to get the Penelo on the cover. I ended up getting Vaan and his nipple on my cover.

Grinding away in the Lhusu mines. I went from level 10 to level 17...maybe I'll shoot for 20...

I might as well because I apparently have no eye for tactics and even though the guide said I could take the Cluckatrice(asshole mark which is like a five on one battle) before the Mines I couldn't do much of anything before getting overwhelmed.

Ourobolus

Banned
Goddammit this thread made me start up FFXII again. Just got done with getting back to Rabanastre after escaping the Barheim Passage.

I think this time I'll actually either try levelling my party evenly, or at least use the three I didn't use in my first run (Fran, Vaan, and Basch). Levelling them up evenly would at least ensure that during the final boss fight I'm not running around with a level 15 Fran hoping that she has enough time to revive the other guys...

Nikorasu

To those who've tried it, is it worth getting the FF12 international zodiac job system version? Is it a significant improvement over the old license grid/battle system enough to justify? This is the only main series FF I haven't finished - more due to time constraints than anything, but if I would get back into it I wouldn't mind playing the 'best' version.

Top Bottom