• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Hardline - Digital Foundry Face Off (XBO/PS4/PC)

RexNovis

Banned
This game has every indication of being an absolute bomb.The game isnt even ranked on the 2015 best sellers for amazon when Bloodborne (a game that hasn't even released yet) is ranked at 71 and Kingdom Hearts 3 (a game with no release date) is ranked at 87. Hell even the PC version of BF4 is ranked at 74. Also the game has yet to break #11 on the daily charts for PS4 and has been under 20 on XB1 since release. Signs do not point to the game selling remotely well.

Honeslty who can blame consumers when this game is so unbelievably hideous. The variation in asset, art, and rendering quality throughout game play is just inexcusable. In fact, why should anyone care which platform does what better when all platforms look like something you would expect to see out of ps3/360? The only losers are the poor saps who made the mistake of actually purchasing this game. Even the PC version frequently looks like moldy ass. For the first time since Battlefield 2 I know of not a single person IRL who has bought the game. That's crazy! Even BF4 with it's broken launch saw 12 of my old college buddies pick it up day one. This game: 0. Literally not a single person. It is well on its way to being the worst selling battlefield game in recent history for very good reason.

ironcreed

Banned
This shot looks worse to me:

iiqE28oJ4wyn6.jpg

For some reason, I always thought BF3 had better campaign visuals than BF4 (and maybe even this).

World of Tanks on the 360 looks better than that shot.

EGM1966

Nothing about this game has really appealed to me and technically it just feels poor.

Pity as I like the idea of cops/criminals but it just comes across as bland in every area. Tried the Beta and just found it dull - basically BF online with different skins.

It honestly feels like a simple fan PC mod of BF shoved out as a retail product.

Journey

Banned
My understanding is that DF's analysis is based on recording lossless footage of games at 60 FPS and using an image analysis algorithm to detect when a frame of video is different from the one before it. The amount of time a single frame spends onscreen is (literally) the frame-time, and you get the framerate by averaging the frametime over some interval and taking the inverse.

Any analysis of console framerate is going to work in basically the same way. Unless you're analyzing dramatically different footage or doing something very wrong, you should get roughly the same results.

Interesting, so I looked up what DF does and that sounds about right, however they do mention some things that could give you the wrong reading:

The only real skill required is making sure that the clips chosen do not include any static screens – loading screens, pause screens, that kind of thing.

Other than that, results should be similar, and since they're not, we'll find out soon who's skewing the numbers :p

This game has every indication of being an absolute bomb.The game isnt even ranked on the 2015 best sellers for amazon when Bloodborne (a game that hasn't even released yet) is ranked at 71 and Kingdom Hearts 3 (a game with no release date) is ranked at 87. Hell even the PC version of BF4 is ranked at 74. Also the game has yet to break #11 on the daily charts for PS4 and has been under 20 on XB1 since release. Signs do not point to the game selling remotely well.

Honeslty who can blame consumers when this game is so unbelievably hideous. The variation in asset, art, and rendering quality throughout game play is just inexcusable. In fact, why should anyone care which platform does what better when all platforms look like something you would expect to see out of ps3/360? The only losers are the poor saps who made the mistake of actually purchasing this game. Even the PC version frequently looks like moldy ass. For the first time since Battlefield 2 I know of not a single person IRL who has bought the game. That's crazy! Even BF4 with it's broken launch saw 12 of my old college buddies pick it up day one. This game: 0. Literally not a single person. It is well on its way to being the worst selling battlefield game in recent history for very good reason.

There's that wishful thinking from the locked thread.

Your agenda is leaking out of your ears, dude. You're making a huge amount of assumptions of what other people are thinking, while at the same time insulting the people who make the decision to buy the game because it looks fun to them.

Sorry to say, but your "college buddies" do not represent the consumer base at large.

Why are you so emotionally invested in tearing down this game? So what if it's no spring chicken, the game is fun and engaging. While it probably won't reach popularity levels of BF4, I seriously doubt it's going to bomb. It's Battlefield. And, unlike BF4, it runs fine out of the gate.

statham

*bookmarked

Its going to do much better then your expecting, and even EA acknowledge its not going todo BF4 numbers.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't know about "untrustworthy", but the only stuff I have seen of him (a while ago) was riddled with technical inaccuracies and wild speculation.

I think people like it because he says what they want to hear.
He's gotten better. Still prone to hyperbole but it seems like he's cognizent of the fact that he's been inaccurate in the past. I like his videos as a reference since he has a great eye for detail but I don't consider him to be as scientific as DF.

RexNovis

Banned
*bookmarked

Its going to do much better then your expecting, and even EA acknowledge its not going todo BF4 numbers.

Source? I've not seen anything from EA stating they expected a decline in sales over previous entries.

There's that wishful thinking from the locked thread.

Your agenda is leaking out of your ears, dude. You're making a huge amount of assumptions of what other people are thinking, while at the same time insulting the people who make the decision to buy the game because it looks fun to them.

Sorry to say, but your "college buddies" do not represent the consumer base at large.

Why are you so emotionally invested in tearing down this game? So what if it's no spring chicken, the game is fun and engaging. While it probably won't reach popularity levels of BF4, I seriously doubt it's going to bomb. It's Battlefield. And, unlike BF4, it runs fine out of the gate.

You're fee to ignore my circle of friends as any indication of general purchasing tends but Amazon sales data paints a pretty damning picture when it comes to the game's sales. Unless you want to argue that those are somehow invalid and subject to my supposed "emotional investment" too? Your personal feelings on the games merit may contrast with my own but sales are sales and right now in comparison to past entries they don't look good. It's an obvious cash in that screams minimal effort.

I, for one, want to see less of those. So yes, for that reason, I certainly hope the market maintains its current trends and shows publishers that you can't put out a substandard product and expect people to line up and buy it anyway. They did it with BF4 when they released a beta as a finished product and they're doing it with hardline by releasing a phoned in port job of a glorified mod pack as a full priced retail title.

It's weird that they didn't include MP framerate analysis. I mean, this is one of the biggest MP games of the year...

DF be slippin'.

You're fee to ignore my circle of friends as any indication of general purchasing tends but Amazon sales data paints a pretty damning picture when it comes to the game's sales. Unless you want to argue that those are somehow invalid and subject to my supposed "emotional investment" too? Your personal feelings on the games merit may contrast with my own but sales are sales and right now in comparison to past entries they don't look good. It's an obvious cash in that screams minimal effort.

I, for one, want to see less of those. So yes, for that reason, I certainly hope the market maintains its current trends and shows publishers that you can't put out a substandard product and expect people to line up and buy it anyway. They did it with BF4 when they released a beta as a finished product and they're doing it with hardline by releasing a phoned in port job of a glorified mod pack as a full priced retail title.

The game has only been out for TWO days. You're drawing an awful lot of conclusions about the overall sales performance of this game based on inconclusive Amazon sales data.

Face it. You don't want this game to do well because of some personal beef you have. You could care less how it plays, or how fun it is. It has solely to do with you not liking how it looks, therefore you want it to bomb.

Orayn

Interesting, so I looked up what DF does and that sounds about right, however they do mention some things that could give you the wrong reading:

Other than that, results should be similar, and since they're not, we'll find out soon who's skewing the numbers :p

I think the far, far more likely scenario is just a difference in which footage they analyzed. If there's any section that runs particularly poorly on one system or the other, that could skew the results quite a bit.

Hell, it could even be a math thing since "framerate" depends on the interval over which you average the frametimes.

SURGEdude

Anybody have any links to the last gen versions to compare? I'd love to see if those are fairly close to the disaster it is on current gen. Might be easier to redbox or gamefly them too if they are similar.

RexNovis

Banned
The game has only been out for TWO days. You're drawing an awful lot of conclusions about the overall sales performance of this game based on inconclusive Amazon sales data.

Face it. You don't want this game to do well because of some personal beef you have. You could care less how it plays, or how fun it is. It has solely to do with you not liking how it looks, therefore you want it to bomb.

I think I explained pretty clearly what my issues with the game were.

It's an obvious cash in that screams minimal effort.

Hint: it's not just about the graphics. But hey whatever suits your dismissive little manufactured narrative.

Sales are sales and time since release has little to no bearing on the validity of charted sales especially with established franchises like Battlefield that rely heavily on preordering. Whether or not you find the game fun has 0 relevance to sales trends or the discussion of said trends. The game is not fairing well compared to previous entries in the series. Lackluster presentation and execution have a lot to do with that. No matter what platform you play on you're receiving a product that fails to deliver on the already low graphics/performance bar set by its predecessor over a year ago.

While hardline does have the obvious advantage of actually working most of the time it's undeniable that the content and presentation on display are a mere shadow of the former entry due to strenuous release deadlines. So yes I take issue with that as do plenty of other people. Or should consumers just be happy to accept a product that fails to improve or even live up to the offerings of its predecessor?

Some people are more or less sensitive to stuttering. Other games such as Watch Dogs and Far Cry 4 exhibited stuttering and I could certainly notice it but unlike other guys it did not bother me much at all because I found it very subtle.
I usually notice stuff like that, and I haven't found anything in Hard line. I was actually surprised how smooth the game was on my setup while Dying Light had more issues.

nib95

Banned
DF did do a multiplayer analysis they just chose to ignore the result. Granted it was Xbone only but still.

Given this is a multiplayer centric game, they should not only have the Xbox One MP frame rate analysis in there, but one with a comparison between both. To my knowledge, they usually do have MP frame rate analysis comparisons with other such games. Either way, NXGamer will hopefully include something on that front in his tech analysis.

I think I explained pretty clearly what my issues with the game were.

Hint: it's not just about the graphics. But hey whatever suits your dismissive little manufactured narrative.

Sales are sales and time since release has little to no bearing on the validity of charted sales especially with established franchises like Battlefield that rely heavily on preordering. Whether or not you find the game fun has 0 relevance to sales trends or the discussion of said trends. The game is not fairing well compared to previous entries in the series. Lackluster presentation and execution have a lot to do with that. No matter what platform you play on you're receiving a product that fails to deliver on the already low graphics/performance bar set by its predecessor over a year ago.

While hardline does have the obvious advantage of actually working most of the time it's undeniable that the content and presentation on display are a mere shadow of the former entry due to strenuous release deadlines. So yes I take issue with that as do plenty of other people. Or should consumers just be happy to accept a product that fails to improve or even live up to the offerings of its predecessor?

I still think it's amazing that you continue to somehow think you have some special ability to think and speak for other people, and then accuse other people of having "manufactured narratives".

You are one special flower.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
one is 720p, the other 900p ---> look the same

lol DF, lol eurogamer

Sanic

Source? I've not seen anything from EA stating they expected a decline in sales over previous entries.

I can't find one after a quick search, but I recall reading something similar. Of course they'd expect a decline, given it's a non-holiday, non-numbered sequel.

shone237

Unconfirmed Member
These threads are so fun. I can come in here and read post after post about how stupid I am for enjoying the hell out of this game.

if you can't enjoy heist, you may be dead inside.

4675064e74be608035200a63349b1fa6f78b7553b2846c980ce05f55eb4762eb.jpg

flkraven

These threads are so fun. I can come in here and read post after post about how stupid I am for enjoying the hell out of this game.

No one criticized heist nor said you are stupid for enjoying the game.

People enjoy plenty of games, but this is a DF face off. It's clear that this game is poorly optimized and looks like shit (especially compared to BF4).

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

pager99

So, has it happened enough times to start to wonder why PS4 versions almost always have better res but lower framerate performance than XB1?

I don't click in this threads all the time, but, I feel like every time I do, I see the same conclusion.
Actually of the most notable multiplats lately like dying light and evolve the ps4 had a better framerate

Corpekata

Banned

This is like a facebook post, complete with a meme that doesn't make any sense to use.

Genio88

It's a good game, i'm playing it on ultra and 1080p/60fps, frostbite engine it's great, graphics are pretty good and facial animation and skin is awesome

Top Bottom