• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra: What's wrong with game music?

by EIC Brandon Sheffield
Most game music these days is boring. I'm sorry, but it's true.

Music is one of the more pervasive arts. It's integrated into almost all our visual entertainment media, played in stores, supports our advertising, and obnoxiously decorates our social networking pages.

Rare is the person who does not listen to music. So with all this music interaction out there, why is so much video game music so consistently generic?

Music, of course, is very subjective. It may even polarize people’s interests more than other traditional arts do, given that listening to music has far more universal appeal than does going to a museum, leafing through an art book, or for many, even watching movies.

Further, it's easy for people to be opinionated about music because all the artists’ names are very visible, and much easier to recognize than the names of most traditional artists, and sharing an entire song with someone else is often as simple as downloading it or finding it on YouTube. Knowledge about music is easy to come by, and so too are informed opinions.

There are so many hungry musicians out there looking to get into games at cut rates, and yet I keep hearing the same flaccid John Williams-inspired scores, uninspired breakbeats, and generic guitar solos.

The fact is, these days it's quite difficult to identify one game soundtrack from another, and it didn't used to be so. Every video game fan recognizes the Super Mario Bros. tunes, the stage music from Mega Man 2, the main theme of Monkey Island, or the sweeping tones of Road Rash. Why have we moved away from that?

The article continues at http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23401

But the author makes a good point. While I do love the great orchestral scores found in the Metal Gear Solid series and Halo, for example. I do miss the older melodic tunes from the previous generations and how sound designers were able to push limited hardware to great results, such as, Mega Man 2, Ninja Gaiden, Metroid, Sonic the Hedgehog, and on and on.

Any thoughts?

sprocket

Banned
some one told me once that old game music would work in todays games after i gave my opinion on how the 8bit music was so much better.

I believed him till I got ssb brawl and listen to all the remixes. Game music was just better back then. lots of nintendo made nes game music was just pure genius.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Most developers just don't care anymore, and would rather have explosions so loud that you wouldn't hear the music anyway.

Personally, I end up turning the music off in most games and listen to O&A or a podcast or something because of just how goddamn boring most game music has become.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Recognition of tunes in a game via playing it, and listening to a game's soundtrack without having played the game are two entirely different things.

The biggest problem I think is a case of being burnt out. These composers have to do so much in a single game, just imagine what they go through for a series.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I will substitute "is boring" for "sucks" for the ease of this post.

Most music sucks.

Most TV music sucks.

Most soundtracks suck.

Most games, period, suck.

So yes, add that together and most game music does suck.

That said, many games don't need expansive, Hollywood type soundtracks. Many get away with being minimalist, many don't. Many try too fucking hard for it and are worse off for it.

There's plenty of great game music, though especially in quality games.

Non issue, really. Play better games.

It's generally true. There are some standouts, like Super Mario Galaxy or Metal Gear Solid or Halo or something, but to a large extent it's just generic "orchestral" filler.

The soundtrack to No More Heroes is awesome though.

speedpop said:
The biggest problem I think is a case of being burnt out. These composers have to do so much in a single game, just imagine what they go through for a series.
This quote was tailor-made for Motoi Sakuraba.

Vinci said:
Pretty sure Halo is recognizable. I don't ever confuse it with anything else, that's for sure.
I think you're misunderstanding me. MGS and Halo themes are very recognizable and they're awesome. But fashioning your game soundtracks almost exclusively in the vein of movie scores kills the fantastic variety we've seen in the medium previously.

speedpop

SabinFigaro said:
He's probably the main offender.

However there are times when composers who do get stuck in a rut tend to jump onto something completely different and they seem to outperform themselves. Uematsu with Lost Odyssey, Sakimoto with Valkyria Chronicles. Sakuraba impressed me a lot with his Golden Sun work, and there have been glowing impressions about his Eternal Sonata scores.

The move to orchestration can sometimes hurt the composition, in that as game music becomes more and more complex, it can become less memorable and catchy.

That doesn't always have to be the case though. The Halo series has brilliant music. Super Mario Galaxy is just amazing and one of the greatest soundtracks of all time. As is Okami, which is just an incredible achievement in game music. Shadow of the Collosus is another.

But these cases are becoming more rare as the years past. It's kind of disappointing really.

I've always thought the heavy influence of movies on a lot of games is the big reason for what you're hearing in game music these days. Less catchy melodies, more atmospheric/theatrical scoring.

speedpop

It's the old changing of the guard as well. Kondo did a handful of tracks in Super Mario Galaxy; Egg Planet and Rosa's Observatory which was the hub. Whilst he didn't do much, he still affected a lot of it through overseeing and providing a guiding hand.

Everything else was done by a "kid" called Mahito Yokota, and I felt that Nintendo made the right choice. It's time to loosen the shackle of Kondo (and I'm sure Mr Tingle himself would love it) and I think every company has to go through this.

Somnid

speedpop said:
It's the old changing of the guard as well. Kondo did a handful of tracks in Super Mario Galaxy; Egg Planet and Rosa's Observatory which was the hub. Whilst he didn't do much, he still affected a lot of it through overseeing and providing a guiding hand.

Everything else was done by a "kid" called Mahito Yokota, and I felt that Nintendo made the right choice. It's time to loosen the shackle of Kondo (and I'm sure Mr Tingle himself would love it) and I think every company has to go through this.

Those 2 tracks were perhaps some of the best in the game.

But it's a lot about attitude. Kondo wanted the music to be an entity in the game, not just background noise, or a soundtrack. Even listening to the soundtrack doesn't give you the same sense as playing the game because the sound was nice and dynamic.

The fact is, these days it's quite difficult to identify one game soundtrack from another, and it didn't used to be so.

RPG's are really guilty of this. Big epic score after big epic score. Almost all of it starts to sound the same because of that. It's why I appreciate the soundtracks to stuff like Persona and SMT so much. It's easy to pick them out of crowd since they go down a completely different path in comparison to other RPG's.

tengiants

Mainstream games aiming to be generic epic movies have mainstream soundtracks that sound like generic epic movies. More at 11.

I think this article is completely wrong. Videogames are at the height of their popularity and there is something out there for everyone. I would give examples but it's pointless to do so since it's all subjective and we could argue all day.

Dark Spire

Somnid said:
Those 2 tracks were perhaps some of the best in the game.

But it's a lot about attitude. Kondo wanted the music to be an entity in the game, not just background noise, or a soundtrack. Even listening to the soundtrack doesn't give you the same sense as playing the game because the sound was nice and dynamic.

I remember an interview where Inafune (Mega Man designer) said he wanted to make the player feel like he was playing to the music. I think his series perfectly captures that.

I think you'll find Galaxy was designed in the same way.

I actually like a lot of music from the games I play these days, and don't really have a problem distinguishing between soundtracks.
I think a lot of the stuff that is still stuck in my head from when I was a kid is there because it was generally a lot more repetitive, and I tended to spend more time with each individual game due to not having as many, so I obviously heard the music a lot more. It was kinda burned into my mind, I suppose.

speedpop

That's another argument really. Repetition.

Most of the games we loved back when we were kids and could easily name as some of the best music had a much smaller soundtrack dedicated to it, which meant certain songs were played continually throughout the game.

Right now, game music is sub-hollywoodian music. When games wil stop aping movies, I'm sure that we'll get more great and memorable music like back then.

Amir0x

Banned
Answer: You are no longer eight years old
Sub-Answer: Shadow of the Colossus, for example, has a soundtrack infinitely superior to the game music of old, you just don't have your nostalgic jollies to back it up. So does Super Mario Galaxy.

biggkidd32 said:
The article continues at http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23401

But the author makes a good point. While I do love the great orchestral scores found in the Metal Gear Solid series and Halo, for example. I do miss the older melodic tunes from the previous generations and how sound designers were able to push limited hardware to great results, such as, Mega Man 2, Ninja Gaiden, Metroid, Sonic the Hedgehog, and on and on.

Any thoughts?
I couldn't agree more with this, and I've been saying the same thing for at least a few years now. With better technology also comes an excuse for lack of creativity. Melodic tunes are no longer a necessity when it comes to game composition; these days, you can simply rely on your 37-piece orchestras or techno drum loop mixes as a crutch. It's been getting more and more frequent, and it seems that most gamers really just don't care.

As the operator of a game music radio station myself, it absolutely hits home with me. I wish this trend would change, but I doubt that it will, as there's little reason for it.

~os

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
timetokill said:
It's generally true. There are some standouts, like Super Mario Galaxy or Metal Gear Solid or Halo or something, but to a large extent it's just generic "orchestral" filler.

Yeah, I think that's my biggest problem with game music nowadays. Most of it's standard orchestral stuff. More developers need to create a sense of musical identity and create really original tracks.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Amir0x said:
Sub-Answer: Shadow of the Colossus, for example, has a soundtrack infinitely superior to the game music of old, you just don't have your nostalgic jollies to back it up. So does Super Mario Galaxy.

Counterpoint: Mega Man 9. Brand new soundtrack that can stand proudly with the NES series in terms of catchiness because it's composed with the same mindset as the classics, the same emphasis on melodic songs over technology.

I think it's just an issue of game music, like a lot of music, has just become so iterative. I mean, sure, we had game music trying to replicate epic Hollywood scores and other music all the time in 8 and 16-bit days, but it was more novel then because of the forced limitations. Now that we can do sweeping orchestral tunes, people do, and everything's become boring.

But you know, you could make the same case for music in general.
Iam Canadian said:
Counterpoint: Mega Man 9. Brand new soundtrack that can stand proudly with the NES series in terms of catchiness because it's composed with the same mindset as the classics, the same emphasis on melodic songs over technology.
Counter-counterpoint: Mega Man 9 soundtrack with the reorchestrations, which are better than the tunes as they are in MM9.

Also, your point makes no sense because music in the "classics" was completely based around technology.

Volcynika

SabinFigaro said:

I used to really enjoy his work, but now it all sounds the same now every time I play a new game where he did the music. D:

speedpop

Iam Canadian said:
That's the sound/audio engineers job though. Most, if not all, composers work in a traditional method in front of a piano or keyboard and write scores which is then translated onto the sound engine in-game.

The best people in the industry are people who used to have to work within the constaints of the old systems, struggling against MIDI channel limitations and bleep-bloop sounds.

Most of the best composers around are people who used to have to do this and now have the freedom to create the same king of stuff but expand on it because there's no limitations - people like Nobuo Uematsu, Koji Kondo, Shimomura and on the western side you have people like Grant Kirkhope (Rare - Donkey Kong Country, Banjo Kazooie etc) now doing the same thing.

He's a good example, really. The soundtracks for both BK: Nuts & Bolts and Viva Pinata were both amazing because they were stylisically similar to the older games even though they were using new tech.

Amir0x said:
Ah the good old rose tinted glasses counterpoint. Like I said earlier there's still great soundtracks out there. I'm talking about variety. That's why I appreciate Q games and their approach. Most of their game soundtracks are so out there, in a good way.

Amir0x said:
I'm not sure how I am responsible for you aging.

It's nothing to do with age.

Back then composers were very, very limited with what they had to work with. Producing good music demanded absolute creativity, otherwise it would always sound like ass. Composers thought outside the box to produce the classic tunes that we know so well today.

These tunes still hold up and best many of today's efforts. For instance, Mega Man III > Bioshock.

And it's not nostalgia talking either. Only recently did I play a little game called Journey to Silius. Blew me away. This a 1990 game we are talking about. No rose-coloured glasses here. Just amazing music.

Just because something's old doesn't mean it becomes futile in the modern world. The strive for quality orchestration in today's gaming has meant that composition often gets overshadowed. I'm not saying modern music sucks - Galaxy, Collosus, Halo, etc are all amazing musical achievements - but these efforts are becoming rarer and rarer.

Amir0x

Banned
biggkidd32 said:
Ah the good old rose tinted glasses counterpoint. Like I said earlier there's still great soundtracks out there. I'm talking about variety. That's why I appreciate Q games and their approach. Most of their game soundtracks are so out there, in a good way.

I absolutely guarantee you there is a hundred trillion times more variety in game music today than there was EVER in the NES age.

I am probably underestimating it, for fuck's sake.

_Alkaline_ said:
Back then composers were very, very limited with what they had to work with. Producing good music demanded absolute creativity, otherwise it would always sound like ass. Composers thought outside the box to produce the classic tunes that we know so well today.

It doesn't surprise me Wii fans are espousing the factually bullshit "LIMITATIONS HELP CREATIVITY" line, but real artists know when it is appropriate to limit themselves, and when it is not. They also know having the widest pallet possible is always best to achieving their goals, even if they choose not to use some elements of "advanced" music or whatever the fuck technology you guys are damning. What is appropriate for the time may not be appropriate for later. There was just as many shitty tracks in the NES era, if not more, as "modern era." The only difference is you are no longer eight, and these "gaming moments" are no longer intertwined with your calming, developmental memories of "no responsibility" and all day gaming.

While the article is right in general, I disagree completely with its points about Gears of War and Halo. Both of thsoe games have very distinct styles and motifs, and I could certainly tell the OST from one over the other easily.

Now Call of Duty? Tom Clancy Games? Medal of Honor? Army of Two? etc etc - that's all some generic shit.

Amir0x said:
I absolutely guarantee you there is a hundred trillion times more variety in game music today than there was EVER in the NES age.

Who said I was talking about the 8bit generation only?

Amir0x

Banned
biggkidd32 said:
Who said I was talking about the 8bit generation only?

I absolutely guarantee you music has more variety today than 8bit, 16bit, and also 32bit (disclaimer: not because they couldn't "go wild" on PSOne, but because budgets were still growing at the time and developers had not yet explored as many aspects of game music as they have at the point of the 128bit gen and beyond). Maybe combined. Probably throw in 64bit 'cause, really, N64?

Cartman86

Banned
If he talking about games of the past 2 years then yeah okay I might understand. Western game scores tend to not be as memorable as Japanese. That being said Little Big Planet, MGS4, Uncharted, Bioshock, Orange Box have awesome soundtracks. But for me the insane amount of great game soundtrack quality sort of died after the PSone. The RPG soundtracks on the PSone were simply amazing. There was some good stuff on the PS2 as well. FFX, MGS series, SOTC etc, but i'll admit there is less memorable music right now. Not enough for me to call it a problem though.

I certainly hear themes in all my favorite modern soundtracks. And when I don't does it really matter? Film soundtracks have moved away from the 70's Star War style of themes. We are more into mood music now with the obvious example being Batman Begins. And that certainly doesn't bother me. It is nice to be able to hum along to ever note? I suppose, but the music should be effective in the context of the game and anything else is a bonus. I wonder if he is not playing a ton of the right games? I didn't really notice this till I saw this post. I've heard just enough amazing stuff in the games I previously mentioned that i've been okay with it.

Oh and this is not counting licensed music that really immerses the gamer.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Iam Canadian said:
the same emphasis on melodic songs over technology.

The fuck?

Game music "technology" ended with the original Playstation. With the CD format, you could do whatever the fuck you wanted with the music. And there's certainly been a shit ton of great game soundtracks since then.

Anyway, here's two video game tracks I've picked out. Both utilize an orchestral score, are made only a year apart from each other and are both from what are considered AAA high-budget games. I really like both games and thus have no real bias. Take a guess which one is generic orchestral filler and which one actually means something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndaJphlTPY8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgi7xvbdI14

Read the spoiler after you're done:
Bioshock >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gears of War. If you answered this incorretly you're fucking dense.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Say what you want about Rare's games, but they always have great soundtracks.

Lack of new Sega Arcade soundtracks. That's pretty much everything that's wrong with game music today. And, I support and approve of the cloning of Richard Jacques.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
_Alkaline_ said:
It's nothing to do with age.

These tunes still hold up and best many of today's efforts. For instance, Mega Man III > Bioshock.

And it's not nostalgia talking either. Only recently did I play a little game called Journey to Silius. Blew me away. This a 1990 game we are talking about. No rose-coloured glasses here. Just amazing music.

Just because something's old doesn't mean it becomes futile in the modern world. The strive for quality orchestration in today's gaming has meant that composition often gets overshadowed. I'm not saying modern music sucks - Galaxy, Collosus, Halo, etc are all amazing musical achievements - but these efforts are becoming rarer and rarer.

IMO, no.

I'll take atmosphere over catchiness.

What, you think everyone has your opinion?

Amir0x said:

It doesn't surprise me Wii fans are espousing the factually bullshit "LIMITATIONS HELP CREATIVITY" line, but real artists know when it is appropriate to limit themselves, and when it is not. They also know having the widest pallet possible is always best to achieving their goals, even if they choose not to use some elements of "advanced" music or whatever the fuck technology you guys are damning. What is appropriate for the time may not be appropriate for later. There was just as many shitty tracks in the NES era, if not more, as "modern era." The only difference is you are no longer eight, and these "gaming moments" are no longer intertwined with your calming, developmental memories of "no responsibility" and all day gaming.

You really need to stop touting this nostalgia argument. It has nothing to do with it. We're talking about quality compositions here. Yes, modern games still have them - Okami and Galaxy are some of the most amazing game music I've ever heard. As a recent example, the music in RE5 when you're
fighting Jill
is just incredible.

But quality soundtracks are really becoming more and more rare. Yes, NES/SNES era did have games with shitty soundtracks. But I tell you what, there were a hell of a lot more games with memorable music back then than there are today.

Music just isn't as consistently memorable as it was back then. I'm thinking about this generation and how many games have amazing soundtracks that I can hum to myself, and it's a lot less than the SNES era, for instance.

And for your rose-coloured glasses example, how's this. I'm 19. I didn't play the Mega Man series until two years ago. Which made me 17. Not 8. And the soundtracks for those games blew me away. Absolutely gave me chills. So few games this generation have done that to me.

HK-47 said:
IMO, no.

I'll take atmosphere over catchiness.

What, you think everyone has your opinion?

No, that's just my opinion.

And MM3's Wily 3/4 theme conveys just as much emotion as any Bioshock theme in my opinion. Just because something is orchestrated doesn't mean it's automatically more involving and evokes more emotions and atmosphere.

I think music in gaming today is striving to go for the atmospherical route, which is very nice, but at the same time is starting to forget the notion of quality melodies that are part of gaming culture. You can strike both. And it's a wicked package when you do. Just look at something like the Forest Temple from OoT. Or Phendrana Drifts from MP.

Amir0x

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
Bu-bu-bu-but sitar in Mario 64!!!

Here's a perfect example of how the lack of limitations can make something better:
Here's Windy and Co. from Conker's Bad Fur Day, probably one of my favorite game tracks of all time. Compare this to Windy and Co. from Live and Reloaded and try and tell me that the N64 version is better.

Heh. Wow, it's amazing how much that track improved.

in any event, I am not suggesting artists cannot find genuinely catchy and illuminating tunes when they "limit" themselves. I am just suggesting that every good artists enjoys a large pallet to pick from, and will arbitrarily limit themselves when they feel it is appropriate.

There is SO MUCH range in music today during videogames - and Megaman 9 is a great example because it emphasizes that "advancing" doesn't mean abandoning lessons learned in the "old days." Bit.Trip is another game that really plays around with the concept of old school, and makes something altogether superior out of it.

I love the Silent Hill soundtracks. The music not only adds to the atmosphere of the games, but they're great to listen to on their own.

Top Bottom