• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

See the carrying factor for me is that Dixie is the superior Aryan Kong of all time, and TP only pushes that law of the universe even further into reality. Since both games have her, I just need to look at the details surrounding the experience. I'm sorry man, but even though Retro know how to make sublime maingame content, they're lost when it comes to working out secrets and collectibles. Also you talk about the lack of weight but that's fine when you can obtain the ultimate momentum because rolling into enemies extends your roll in 2, and if you don't want that, that's ok because it's so fucking easy to determine how fast or slow you go.

Give me double teaming, Kremkoins, and Hero Coins over Puzzle Pieces, Kong stages, and fucking Banana Mirrors any day.

I fully expect the game to take a nosedive in quality come the second half, and for the final boss to continue the tradition of utterly abysmal final fights in Miyazaki games.

Gywn was fun if you knew how to parry him, he is completely designed around parrying and is pretty much the only boss like that in the game which also makes him the worst and best boss simply because of how aggressive he is.

That said I've heard it's fantastic all the way through, we will see though.

I fully expect the game to take a nosedive in quality come the second half, and for the final boss to continue the tradition of utterly abysmal final fights in Miyazaki games.

Not sure about that. The boss fights in souls games in general have never really been that good with a few exceptions. Here, there's a huge difference in quality. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the first souls game to actually have a good final boss.

Pat if you are reading this, Bloodborne is the most lovecraftian fucking game ever.

Even more Lovecraftian than CoC:DCOTE and I love that fucking game.

After having a lengthy discussion with Beloved, we've realized Life Is Strange is really going a lot further than Telltale with how things have different outcomes, and how the game really doesn't let you know half of the time that what you're doing will affect something later, even if in just a minor way, it's actually really impressive how many differences we had even with situations where we made the exact same choices but still got slightly different outcomes because of something earlier that we can't remember doing.

I agree. Life Is Strange manages to make your choices really matter.

It's the bad end of the Super Best Frienders story.

Is it the bad ending? Or is it actually the true ending that's unlocked by getting every other normal ending?

Dammit pony boy! You need to step your game up.

Thread 18. Promise of a lifetime!

I'll take the banning.
Don't even joke. Most of us in the gaf after dark have it coming anyway if we were judged by the rules of the rest of the gafnormal men

I'll be the first to go.

semisonic

Banned
See the carrying factor for me is that Dixie is the superior Aryan Kong of all time, and TP only pushes that law of the universe even further into reality. Since both games have her, I just need to look at the details surrounding the experience. I'm sorry man, but even though Retro know how to make sublime maingame content, they're lost when it comes to working out secrets and collectibles. Also you talk about the lack of weight but that's fine when you can obtain the ultimate momentum because rolling into enemies extends your roll in 2, and if you don't want that, that's ok because it's so fucking easy to determine how fast or slow you go.

Give me double teaming, Kremkoins, and Hero Coins over Puzzle Pieces, Kong stages, and fucking Banana Mirrors any day.

You forget, I listed Banjo Kazooie in my top 10 and 100% dk64.
I love the fuck outta collecting things, and the concept art you got was pretty cool in TF. Same with the temples, but none of them reached the challenge of returns levels, sadly.

beinfilms

After having a lengthy discussion with Beloved, we've realized Life Is Strange is really going a lot further than Telltale with how things have different outcomes, and how the game really doesn't let you know half of the time that what you're doing will affect something later, even if in just a minor way, it's actually really impressive how many differences we had even with situations where we made the exact same choices but still got slightly different outcomes because of something earlier that we can't remember doing.

Yeah, I've noticed that, too. There were a lot of things that in a Telltale game would have just happened, and been in the past, that actually had an impact. Also, I think they're doing a way better job of changing experiences between players than my experience with Telltale. Basically, I really hope Telltale learns something from Dontnod, since they still have the advantage of not being tied to Squenix.

Xiraiya

I agree. Life Is Strange manages to make your choices really matter.

You really have to let go of the preconceived notions that Telltale beat into you, because while it sometimes helps in being like "Well this will probably branch out to that and so on" It generally causes you to overlook smaller things that matter and affect just as much when you expect them to do nothing or be of no consequence.

Ilvocare

You forget, I listed Banjo Kazooie in my top 10 and 100% dk64.
I love the fuck outta collecting things, and the concept art you got was pretty cool in TF. Same with the temples, but none of them reached the challenge of returns levels, sadly.

I don't want to get into how I don't like Returns at all again.

Please.

Final note on the discussion: TF loses because it thought it could make rocket barrel levels fun by giving you an extra hit to take. It was wrong, those levels manage to stay the worst ones in the game by a mile.

This is literally true. Like, more than you actually know it.

The story so far is literally a combination of these stories:

The Dreamlands series, Beyond The Wall of Sleep, Call of Cthulhu, The Haunter of The Dark, The Shadow Out of Time, The Whisperer in Darkness, Pickman's Model, and The Shadow Over Innsmouth, At The Mountains of Madness as well as a bit of The Dunwich Horror rolled into some pretty heavy shit.

If you are hinting at the game going all the way with the concept....FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK

Top Bottom