• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Gold / Silver for DS announced

Ashodin

Jazzem said:
Same here, that was mindblowing for me at the time! Thankfully it didn't lessen the impact of the actual release of the game, due to the spotty translation making some parts of the game unplayable, and taking care not to play too far in. Finally getting the complete version was worth the wait though :D
I remember doing that. It was pretty fucking awesome to check out all the new Pokemon, wonder what their types were, serebii wasn't really up yet, so it was all back in the day speculation, and picking your favorite pokemon before you know what the hell it did :lol

AND TYRANITAR FTW BITCHES

Jiggy

Defuser said:
You know,in the end Gamefreak never address the problem of starter grass pokemon being the worst of all 3 starters.
If I'm using Fire pokemon,I can use thunder punch against water pokemon
If I'm using water pokemon,I can use ice beam against grass pokemon

I have yet to find any moves that can be learn by grass to be effective against fire.
Venusaur has Earthquake; Fire-types have to risk being hit with Sleep Powder to switch in; Light Screen can negate the advantage of Flamethrower while it blasts away wiith Sludge Bomb.

Meganium has Earthquake and Ancientpower; Reflect and Light Screen will negate advantages from both physical and special Fire attacks; Counter will beat Fire Punch, but from actual Fire Pokemon (as opposed to, say, Elecitivire) that tends to be more rare than Flamethrower.

Torterra has Earthquake for most Fire Pokemon and Stone Edge or Rock Slide for Charizard/Moltres/Ho-oh; it also has Reflect and Light Screen, bizarrely enough.

Sceptile's the most interesting case. It has Earthquake and Rock Slide too, but it's also faster than every Fire Pokemon, so none of them can switch in (and stay in) on a Sceptile with Leech Seed/Substitute unless Leech's 90% accuracy lets it down.

CassSept

Heart Gold day one. Cyndaquil for the win, I will crush everyone with him again. And my army of mad useless Ursarings.

Firestorm said:
Totodile can't dance for shit.

Lol. Actually he was one of my favorite Johto era Pokemon in the toons. Couldn't beat those happy feet!

Now that these are officially in the pipeline, please Nintendo, greenlight some other remakes/sequels for stuff that really needs it!

Rpgmonkey

Maxrpg said:
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE HO-OH, MOTHERFUCKERS
ho_oh_by_niv100.png

Look at those goddamn wings, goddamn
And those goddamn tail feathers, you aint never seen shit like those tail feathers
That beak will bite your goddamn head off, goddamn
Gotta use the master ball on this bitch, goddamn

Hell yeah! Ho-Oh ftw!

Will Nintendo ever bring back the colored cartridges/game cards for this one? I missed them when the D/P/Pt game cards weren't colored. If they can't do that, they could at least make the cases colored.

Jazzem said:
Same here, that was mindblowing for me at the time! Thankfully it didn't lessen the impact of the actual release of the game, due to the spotty translation making some parts of the game unplayable, and taking care not to play too far in. Finally getting the complete version was worth the wait though :D

Haha, my first experience with the game was this dodgy cart this kid on holiday had. It was the Japanese version of Yellow.

Now this was before Pokemon came out here, but I knew from reading Gamespot that Yellow gave you Pikachu at the start. So when Oak caught him at the start I went:

"HEY, STOP STEALING MY PIKACHU!"

Didn't get much further, not then anyway :D

Zyzyxxz

I really hope Nintendo doesn't take their fucking slow ass time releasing it in the states.

Seems that even though we are a giant market they'll still take forever translating it to english.

Seriously if I have to wait until Spring 2010 as some predict I'll probably stop caring by then.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Zyzyxxz said:
I really hope Nintendo doesn't take their fucking slow ass time releasing it in the states.

Seems that even though we are a giant market they'll still take forever translating it to english.

Seriously if I have to wait until Spring 2010 as some predict I'll probably stop caring by then.

Pokemon has a metric ton of text though, and they re-do it for every single game, regardless if it's just an enhanced version (Platinum) or remake (Fr/Lg).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
7Th said:
Don't fool yourselves, brosephs,, all starters are pretty lame compared to Infernape.

Goddamn monkey stealing Blaziken's schtick.

The best starter EVER has always been Squirtle.

Fireblend

Banned
Best Pokemon generation, by far. Very far. This is awesome and I'm hyped. I don't care about how it will look, it's all about the soundtrack.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Zyzyxxz said:

I don't think you understand how this works. Platinum just came out. Pokemon sells alot. Thus NOA likes to have desinated gaps between Pokemon games so that they can take full advantage of each Pokemon games' sales and also so that they will not saturate the market. Spring 2010 is the optimistic prediction. Summer/Fall 2010 is the more likely scenario. (In fact a October 2010 release date to match up with Silver/Gold's 10 year anniversery is something I can't see NOA not doing. They love that stuff).

DuckRacer

grandjedi6 said:
I don't think you understand how this works. Platinum just came out. Pokemon sells alot. Thus NOA likes to have desinated gaps between Pokemon games so that they can take full advantage of each Pokemon games' sales and also so that they will not saturate the market. Spring 2010 is the optimistic prediction. Summer/Fall 2010 is the more likely scenario. (In fact a October 2010 release date to match up with Silver/Gold's 10 year anniversery is something I can't see NOA not doing. They love that stuff).
They're not going to release the US version a full year behind the JP version. It usually takes 6 months to bring a Pokemon game over, and they haven't taken a full year to release the US version since the original Gold/Silver games, and that was 10 years ago. (Crystal took 7 months.) They're going to use the anniversary promotion spin regardless of when they release it in 2010, anyway. I think you're being overly pessimistic.

grandjedi6 said:
Meh, spoiler guy's guess is late-09 to next spring so I trust him. Plus, it's Pokemon so it's high profile and will most likely be used to push DSi.

I say spring at the latest.

cvxfreak

I remember FR/LG taking an unusually long time hitting the U.S. It actually hit when Japan had already gotten Emerald, IIRC.

Mac the KNife said:
flaffy.jpg

Recognize Flaffy, bitches.

On this other forum, someone started a topic, "I am an android."

Someone else responded, "Do you dream of Flaffy?"

I lol'd.

On topic, competitive players will probably hate me for posting this, but it's all about:

ani227.gif

ani242.gif

As a player who tends to run super defensive teams (Heatran is the only special sweeper I can stand cause the rest have glass jaws), I love that GSC gave us some of the best walls in the game.

Stencil said:
I want to use Smeargle as a viable member of my team this time around.

I dare you to do it without teaching it spore.

The main problem with this is that if I wanted to play Gold and Silver again Pokemon stadium's game speed up feature will make the experience infinitely more enjoyable than updated graphics would.

Regulus Tera said:
The best starter EVER has always been Squirtle.
Isn't Charizard the more competetive PKMN among the Kanto starters? Blastoise is only for Rapid Spin or Mirror Coat.

thetechkid

shykyoichi said:
Isn't Charizard the more competetive PKMN among the Kanto starters? Blastoise is only for Rapid Spin or Mirror Coat.

a turtle with guns vs. a fire breathing dragon vs. a moving plant

there is no clear winner, but venusaur always loses

shykyoichi said:

What is the most effective starter for competitive play, anyway?

I see a lot of Swampert in the current metagame, but I haven't been playing in a competitive fashion for very long. I understand belly drum Charizard used to wreck face? Empoleon can be pretty useful in certain situations too.

jman2050 said:
Typholosion? Ampharos? Totodile?

Pfft

There's only one true badass in G/S/C

fe47j6.png

Respect.

Man, I hated this guy so much. I even went against my no special attackers with glass jaws to run this guy as my lead for awhile:

Azelf.png

Now, I know what you're thinking: isn't Azelf vulnerable to Tyranitar's dark attacks as a psychic type? To which I respond: EXACTLY! Half of the teams I ran up against would have Tranitar as a lead- and they'd definitely keep him in, expecting an advantage. That was when I busted out the Hidden Power Fighting (to which T-Tar has a quad weakness) and OHKO'd the fucker before he could do it in return.

Amibguous Cad said:
What is the most effective starter for competitive play, anyway?

I see a lot of Swampert in the current metagame, but I haven't been playing in a competitive fashion for very long. I understand belly drum Charizard used to wreck face? Empoleon can be pretty useful in certain situations too.
I think it's either Swampert or Infernape.

rdellw

Still wonder why Nintendo havent lived up to Gold and silver, with an actually decent/interesting story rather than "team whatever are trying to get the legendary and destroy the world blah blah" which they go with nowadays. The continuity between G/S/C and R/B/Y was so deliciously awesome.

rdellw said:
Still wonder why Nintendo havent lived up to Gold and silver, with an actually decent/interesting story rather than "team whatever are trying to get the legendary and destroy the world blah blah" which they go with nowadays. The continuity between G/S/C and R/B/Y was so deliciously awesome.
Effort takes money.

Snaku

Banned
Meh. The only thing that could possibly get me interested in Pokemon at this point would be an epic console RPG. The endless portable version rehashes just don't do it for me.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Zyzyxxz said:

Blehhh.

Releasing in less than a year after Platinum is pushing it. The fact that so many people are hyped for more rehashes is actually sort of offending to me. I'm not exactly thrilled at the idea of playing Diamond/Pearl remakes on Nintendo's next portable. =/

Sixfortyfive said:
Blehhh.

Releasing in less than a year after Platinum is pushing it. The fact that so many people are hyped for more rehashes is actually sort of offending to me. I'm not exactly thrilled at the idea of playing Diamond/Pearl remakes on Nintendo's next portable. =/
There's been a 10 year+/2 generation gap between these remakes. You're not going to see D/P remakes on the next handheld.

Ookami-kun said:
Wouldn't making a main console game be against its title?
Didn't stop Pokemon Stadium from being made.

CassSept

Sixfortyfive said:
Releasing in less than a year after Platinum is pushing it. I'm not exactly thrilled at the idea of playing Diamond/Pearl remakes on Nintendo's next portable. =/
R/S - 11.02
FRLG - 01.04
Emerald - 09.04

DP - 09.06
Pt - 09.08
HGSS - ~09-10.09

In 3rd generation was when they were really pushing it. And there is already 10 years gap between original GS and it's remake, more than between RB and FRLG (8).
If we see any remakes on next Nintendo handheld (which isn't even yet at horizon...) it will be RS.
And GS was most wanted by fans to be remade. So you know, that's why many people (including me) are so hyped for this, and the release is justified (and well, Moneyz).

Black-Wind said:
Meh, spoiler guy's guess is late-09 to next spring so I trust him. Plus, it's Pokemon so it's high profile and will most likely be used to push DSi.

I say spring at the latest.
I have a name you know. :lol

EDIT:
It's Roger DiLuigi

By the way, I got my hands on another nugget of tasty information: as it turns out there is going to be a new feature introduced in these two games that has never been in any Pokemon game previously so watch out for that.

Also, expect on tonight's Pokemon Sunday to see the new stock art.

Wii Will Rock U said:
I have a name you know. :lol

By the way, I got my hands on another nugget of tasty information: as it turns out there is going to be a new feature introduced in these two games that has never been in any Pokemon game previously so watch out for that.

Pokestiality?

Top Bottom