• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X Performace Analysis

CodeNfX

Nice to see solid 60 fps. Has the netcode been discussed? I have both consoles but still deciding which platform to get. Netcode is an important factor to me, although I'm leaning more towards the PS4 due to the dpad controller for this game.

Philly40

The particles in KI blow MKX out of the water. I also think the characer models look better. MKX characters look identical to MK 2011

List of trash:
FTL
Chivalry
Shovel Knight
Divinity Original Sin
Broken Age
Kentucky Route Zero
MKX particles

I also dislike graphic novels, bus stops, maps, reading for kids, classical music, board games, opera, art, and geiger counters.
(Today, 06:54 PM)

Genio88

I'm surprise people are surprised that the xbox version isn't 1080.

I'm surprised peaple really care that much about that instead, i mean 900p upscaled to 1080p is really hardly noticeable than native 1080p, proved by the fact that peaple who have the game already can't tell for sure if it's 900p or 1080p...60fps is what real matters just have fun and enjoy the game wherever you'll play it.

SMZC

I'm surprised peaple really care that much about that instead, i mean 900p upscaled to 1080p is really hardly noticeable than native 1080p, proved by the fact that peaple who have the game already can't tell for sure if it's 900p or 1080p...60fps is what real matters just have fun and enjoy the game wherever you'll play it.

Keep telling yourself that.

I agree with you. I think those of us who got the game early have been having fun playing it rather than counting pixels and getting angry for no reason.

While some can't tell, if you have an average or better HDTV, or play on a monitor, it's almost instantly noticeable if you play 1080p games (especially if its next to a 1080p version) due to the softness of the image. However, as you inferred, it's not really a big deal.

Due to the ESRAM size, I doubt we'll see games with engines like this that require a larger buffer for post effects and frame-composites to exceed 900p. Several developers have stated this and more have made this true (Ryse, Sniper Elite, etc.) This limit on the resolution will also help with performance, and it's still better than 720p which we saw happening to the XBO titles on FOX engine.

I really thought 1080p was a last gen thing,
I cant believe that MS couldn't secure a machine that would do it on a regular basis this current gen.

As a owner of both machines, I am very disappointed in MS, because I think the One is pretty sweet in every other way, just man being outclassed on this every time is crazy. Who spearheaded this machine?

Jigolo

It's his first contact analysis. Which means he has only played for a few hours of the game. He said in the video his full analysis should be up next week with the PC version included.

OmegaDL50

The particles in KI blow MKX out of the water. I also think the characer models look better. MKX characters look identical to MK 2011

EDIT - Here is my settings in MK9 by the way just for confirmation

hl96Hej.jpg

This is a screen capture I took directly from MK9 in Steam in training mode (This is downsampled from 3200x1800 to 1080p by GeDoSato by the way)
5JXJdSB.jpg

And this is MKX on PS4
1402580892-10.jpg

Even not factoring my downsampled image of MK9. even I can notice the improved character models and background detail in MKX over MK9.

Yes...MKX clearly looks identical to MK9...clearly.
/s

cgcg

Two matches two drops to 54fps on Xbone. 1 drop to 53fps on the PS4.

Cutscenes looked like janky crap not sure why it's only ~30fps.

jett

D-Member
This is a screen capture I took directly from MK9 in Steam in training mode (This is downsampled from 3200x1800 to 1080p by GeDoSato by the way)
5JXJdSB.jpg

BTW I'm not sure if your PC is actually downsampling MK9, lotsa jaggies there. :p

Anyway, MKX does look great and is a sizable graphical upgrade.

OmegaDL50

BTW I'm not sure if your PC is actually downsampling MK9, lotsa jaggies there. :p

Anyway, MKX does look great and is a sizable graphical upgrade.

It's probably because of jpg compression in the image.

I can try a fraps capture and grab a uncompressed bmp or save a png

The fact I'm using jpg with a downsampled capture is pointless in itself.

Stein3x

WTF ,the game is still not available (damn Streaming Install) apart from the main menu. Strange thing that it's 30fps locked and only FXAA is available?whaaaat?

No disappointment for me at all, I'm perfectly ok with 900p as long as we get 60fps and not real effect loss. I'd prefer 1080 sure, but as long as it's not below 900 I am perfectly fine. I've played KI at 900 (even lower for awhile) for awhile and it hasn't bothered me one bit.
People act like it only being 900p matters so much.
It doesn't.

stryke

So he wasn't wrong? The game is running a weird reso?

Well yeah I don't think he's exactly right either.

I don't have the game though. I just looked at some pics in the screenshot thread. Maybe pixel distribution is different with cut scenes.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If its like Far cry 4 on XB1, it might be fair pixel counters might get confused by the upscaling, assuming its 900p, but then its like 1400 something by 1080

Of course that's pure speculation from me. NI don't know shit about the wizardry that goes into pixel counting directly from screengrabs to determine res. All i know is if its more blurry

Javin98

Banned
Nice to see a thread for NXGamer's analysis. He really deserves more popularity IMO. Anyway, regarding the res on XB1, I hope we get an answer soon. I'm curious to know if it's native 1080p or runs on some weird res, like 1440x1080.

DryvBy

At least it's a solid 60fps but why is this not 1080p on the Xbox One? Surely there's an optimization issue?

RedFury

If DF/NR say both are 1080 this guy is going to have egg on his face.
Fuck that I'd take this guys word for It over digital foundrys any day. You should actually check out his stuff, he found things that digital foundry did not in many cases and in some opposite. Watch the unity one.

Percy

Banned
Xbone version is technically inferior? For a game like this that is actually a surprise for once tbh. Would have thought full parity was a lock here :/

So... are we taking bets yet on whether the proper DF face off will now be using a "but the Xbox One version doesn't have region locked multiplayer, so they're both pretty much on par" narrative yet? ;P

Here is how MKX looks on XB1:
Screenshot-Original.png

Similar artifacts to Dying Light which also was upscaled in one direction. Pretty good anti-aliasing for this lower resolution though. I expected a lot of shimmering because that's what 60 fps titles meant last-gen.

Top Bottom