• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Mercutio

50-100% over ebay? Wtf?

He specifically mentioned Turtles in Time for $200. If it had the box, that seems about right. If it didn't, that's damned high.

I could be wrong though. He's not a collector outside of the list I gave him. He was shocked by $100 prices for Rockman 6, and $60 for Rockman 4. 2 was $25, and 3 and 5 were $12-15. Those seem normal.

I tried to talk him into hunting down a Hardoff, but he couldn't fit it into the trip. He said the big thing people seemed to be looking for was Saturn stuff. Most collectors were busy sifting through anything Saturn related.

Bar81

He specifically mentioned Turtles in Time for $200. If it had the box, that seems about right. If it didn't, that's damned high.

I could be wrong though. He's not a collector outside of the list I gave him. He was shocked by $100 prices for Rockman 6, and $60 for Rockman 4. 2 was $25, and 3 and 5 were $12-15. Those seem normal.

I tried to talk him into hunting down a Hardoff, but he couldn't fit it into the trip. He said the big thing people seemed to be looking for was Saturn stuff. Most collectors were busy sifting through anything Saturn related.

So it's ebay/yahoo jp prices. Basically no discount and no longer much of a point to actually go to Tokyo for stuff outside of maybe selection. That's fine with me - I'm not expecting to save money; I'm looking for a more interesting selection (although I might be disappointed on that front as well based on some of the reports) and will be in Japan for nongaming reasons anyway.

Mercutio

So it's ebay/yahoo jp prices. Basically no discount and no longer much of a point to actually go to Tokyo for stuff outside of maybe selection. That's fine with me - I'm not expecting to save money; I'm looking for a more interesting selection (although I might be disappointed on that front as well based on some of the reports) and will be in Japan for nongaming reasons anyway.

Yeah, sounds like at least the selection could be shot there at this point.

Osaka was much better in that regard, and also on price.

Ban Puncher

Turtles In Time can found for around $400 CIB and mint in Akihabara. Cheaper elsewhere but it commands a premium these days. I remember when it was a hundred tops.

The Rockman prices sound wrong though. $100+ for CIB mint is not out of the ordinary, especially with 1 and 2 ($200 and beyond), but naked carts? Around ten to fifteen bucks a piece except 1 which can run you about $30 tops.

Stopping in at Super Potato and looking at the gold Rockman 4 cartridge in the glass cabinet and it's price is always good for a giggle.

Edit: Just wanted to add that your $45 Toilet Kids is pretty good. Shit (lololol) goes for almost double that in Akihabara. And ScumBay? Some bozos are trying to sell it for near $200. What a load of poop.

D.Lo

I think the Hard Off / Book Off chain works a lot like Goodwill where it's just up to the staff to price things as they see fit, there's not really a plan for pricing, it's just slapping stickers on items.
Maybe in hard-off junk sections, but otherwise no, they have fixed company wide pricing. I've been to enough of both to see the exact same game with the exact same price at 10 stores.

I'm looking forward to next weekend. The local game store <Game Over Videogames> is having a TG-16/PCE event where people will be bringing their setups. I'll be bringing my commodore monitor and Duo for people to play. There's gonna be a couple other friends of mine setting up as well, it should be fun.

IrishNinja

Keith Courage from over at PCE (good dude) is done working on my RGB modded Duo-R, looking forward to having it stable finally! between that and roommate bishopcruz's turbo everdrive, ive got some good times ahead

...wait what happened to my dude Man Puncher

Teknoman

Keith Courage from over at PCE (good dude) is done working on my RGB modded Duo-R, looking forward to having it stable finally! between that and roommate bishopcruz's turbo everdrive, ive got some good times ahead

...wait what happened to my dude Man Puncher

Keith Courage did my Duo-R with region switch.

KC did the cap replacement and S-video mod on my US Duo. Good guy.

He sold me a recapped PC engine duo (after that whole crazyness I had with a TG16 +CD addon from ebay). I still kinda want to get my duo modded. but it seems like Neutopia is pretty easy to play regardless of knowing whats going on (and i've been told that before). Probably not worth it unless I happen on some actual TG16 releases.

I should add Keith Courage sold me the whole Duo-R set up. He refurbished it, applied a whitening solution to it, showed me the before and after photos. Such great work.

I have a feeling I may seek him out to apply an RGB mod to the Duo-R in the future.

Mercutio

I just spent a few hours playing Magical Chase. Man, what a shame that game costs what it does. It's such a worthwhile addition to any collection; I've been playing it for years and it still feels fresh.

piggychan

I just spent a few hours playing Magical Chase. Man, what a shame that game costs what it does. It's such a worthwhile addition to any collection; I've been playing it for years and it still feels fresh.

It's one of my fave shmups. Once you learn the game mechanics the gameplay is pretty tight. Plus I love the Miyazaki inspired enemies. Music is imo fantastic but I wish the music option where you could listen to all the tracks was permanently selectable instead of hidden. Same thing to Salamander and Paraodius Da!?!

Beartruck

I just got 19 million points in Alien Crush. Looked it up on Twin Galaxies, and that's apparently the third highest score in the world. Granted, I'm not sure how much that site is used anymore, but it makes me wish I documented it.

Teknoman

It's one of my fave shmups. Once you learn the game mechanics the gameplay is pretty tight. Plus I love the Miyazaki inspired enemies. Music is imo fantastic but I wish the music option where you could listen to all the tracks was permanently selectable instead of hidden. Same thing to Salamander and Paraodius Da!?!

I still want that and Cotton. Glad Cotton hasn't skyrocketed yet...but 500 for Magical Chase... Man. I'll be saving up rewards points forever lol. Also Coryoon.

Mercutio

I still want that and Cotton. Glad Cotton hasn't skyrocketed yet...but 500 for Magical Chase... Man. I'll be saving up rewards points forever lol. Also Coryoon.

It's only going to keep going up, I think. But even if it didn't, I'd be happy if other people could get their own copies. The soundtrack is also by far my favorite non-cd audio in any game of that generation.

Bar81

It's only going to keep going up, I think. But even if it didn't, I'd be happy if other people could get their own copies. The soundtrack is also by far my favorite non-cd audio in any game of that generation.

There is a MC OST that was recently released.

Mercutio

There is a MC OST that was recently released.

I've got the CD, it's wonderful. I'm pretty sure the original tracks were actually recorded from a PC Engine running the sound test; it has the same strange hum in some places that emulators don't seem to replicate. The arranged tracks at the end are super good too!

piggychan

There was something about coryoon that didn't click with me. I think the main reason iirc there is far too much stuff flying around onscreen and you lose track of what you can pick up vs enemy bullets etc. There is an option to turn the pick ups off but it just made the game feel dull and slow.

Graphically I wasn't too keen on the art style but technically the amount of stuff flying around and the amount of layered scrolling is i feel something to show off what the pc engine can do.

I would also say that Coryoon along with Dragon Saber has some of the best drum samples in any pc engine game.

I do regret selling it but it was one of those games that pissed me off everytime you go to pick up something only to fly into an enemy bullet because you can't see it.

piggychan

I don't know if there is any grain of trust but Quest were made up of ex square staff and MC was one of their first games they made. Incidentally Hitoshi Sakimoto produced some of the music for MC and later on also produced the music for FFXII

Mercutio

I don't know if there is any grain of trust but Quest were made up of ex square staff and MC was one of their first games they made. Incidentally Hitoshi Sakimoto produced some of the music for MC and later on also produced the music for FFXII

And FFT!

Coryoon is good, but it's so similar to Air Zonk. Given a choice between the two, I'd pick Zonk any day. Same team, I know, but I still think Zonk's a little better.

Beat this game.

It's super easy, but I had good fun with it. If you level up your boots (and don't die in between), you can almost fly through the levels.

Aq8ejO2.jpg

Do you know if this game has a difficulty level to make it harder? My son finished it years ago on emulation at the first attempt and I would like to buy it for real but not if it is THAT easy.

Do you know if this game has a difficulty level to make it harder? My son finished it years ago on emulation at the first attempt and I would like to buy it for real but not if it is THAT easy.

Don't think there is, don't recall there being an option. But I'll check tonight.

Even though it's easy, that shouldn't keep you from picking it up if you can get it for a good price imo. It's a fun little game.

Yes, the game has two difficulty levels, both selectable from the main menu. The harder one is still easy, but it's got a little more to it than the easier one.

The US version, Cratermaze, has three difficulty levels. I'm not sure if the Japanese version has the third one or not, haven't gotten around to finishing it yet.

Mercutio

These arrived in the post today.

abfed91ce1403e5ccb4c5170f4fdc79b.jpg

Yesssssssssssssssss Kato Chan and Ken Chan. That game is such a wonderful guilty pleasure. Had you played JJ and Jeff previously? Or are you going in cold?

Sidenote: Who is doing the best Duo R / RX RGB mod these days? I was hacking around PCEFX and it seems like Keith Courage does the SVideo / Component... but doesn't have the stuff to test out a true RGB setup. Does he do it anyway? I don't want to bug him if he doesn't.

piggychan

Yesssssssssssssssss Kato Chan and Ken Chan. That game is such a wonderful guilty pleasure. Had you played JJ and Jeff previously? Or are you going in cold?

Sidenote: Who is doing the best Duo R / RX RGB mod these days? I was hacking around PCEFX and it seems like Keith Courage does the SVideo / Component... but doesn't have the stuff to test out a true RGB setup. Does he do it anyway? I don't want to bug him if he doesn't.

I've had chan and chan before years ago but sold it. Glad to have it back again.

I've not had any dealings with RGB mods on PCEFX forums as of yet so I can't speak for any of the guys on there.

Currently there is someone on ebay that offers a service but I don't know if they are cheap tho..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171271420873?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Mercutio

I've had chan and chan before years ago but sold it. Glad to have it back again.

I've not had any dealings with RGB mods on PCEFX forums as of yet so I can't speak for any of the guys on there.

Currently there is someone on ebay that offers a service but I don't know if they are cheap tho..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171271420873?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Hmm, I dunno. I don't really need it given how good the composite is; no desperation here. I'd rather wait and find the best person possible. I don't know much about this guy but his seller picture of him with booth babes is kind of meh.

eXistor

Very close to buying a modded Turbo Duo R on eBay (from Doujindance). Just to be sure: I can use this in Europe right? I just have to use a Megadrive II adapter or something similar? And this plays basically everything right, from Turbografx to PC engine? This is my understanding from the broken English on his eBay page anyway :).

I'm still 100% new to Turbografx/PC Engine, so would you guys say this is the best option for me? The RX model only has a different controller if I understand correctly.

IrishNinja

mannnn hoping my Duo-R shows back up today, or soon...tracking info isn't being tracked sadly.

also PCE board now taking orders for replacement Hucard cases, thinking about going in on some with bishopcruz - lemme know if anyone else wants to save on a large order!

mannnn hoping my Duo-R shows back up today, or soon...tracking info isn't being tracked sadly.

also PCE board now taking orders for replacement Hucard cases, thinking about going in on some with bishopcruz - lemme know if anyone else wants to save on a large order!

What PCE Board please? Cheers!

Bar81

Very close to buying a modded Turbo Duo R on eBay (from Doujindance). Just to be sure: I can use this in Europe right? I just have to use a Megadrive II adapter or something similar? And this plays basically everything right, from Turbografx to PC engine? This is my understanding from the broken English on his eBay page anyway :).

I'm still 100% new to Turbografx/PC Engine, so would you guys say this is the best option for me? The RX model only has a different controller if I understand correctly.

Assuming he indicates that it has a region switch (this is only for hucards; CDs have no region protection) you should be good to go since his default RBG cable is Euro SCART. Power wise I don't know for Euro land but a stepdown always works.

Bar81

right here!

back stickers, you got me....but spine, that same thread has a link to sparky's spine sticker things i wanna say, which'd totally work!

Never mind since the stickers being produced are only for US and not JP games so no back stickers in that case (I thought it was a universal sticker project) so this is a US hucard "solution" only.

Anyway, it's awesome that the cases come in colors and even more awesome that you can finally have a proper case for stuff like US Magical chase.

eXistor

Assuming he indicates that it has a region switch (this is only for hucards; CDs have no region protection) you should be good to go since his default RBG cable is Euro SCART. Power wise I don't know for Euro land but a stepdown always works.
Cool , thanks for the reply.

antibolo

Banned
doujindance usually doesn't ship with an AC adapter anyway (or at least they didn't back when I bought mine), so you'll have to find one on your own.

As long as you know your monitor supports 60Hz you will be fine (it may be SCART but it will still be 60Hz).

Mercutio

I need a case; I've got my Arcade Card has no home. I'm happy to get in and pay for one if there's a spare?

Here are my thoughts on a couple of Turbo CD (well, PCECD) games I finished recently. I might write full reviews, I'm not sure. They are both fun but VERY easy games.

Turbo CD
--
Kaizoku Chounin Shubibinman 3: Ikai no Princess - I got this game less than a week ago, and finished this quite short and easy game on Normal in notime. This game has good graphics, decently good controls, lots of variety, fun encounters... and almost no content or challenge. It's really too bad, they almost had something great here, but it's just far too short and easy. This game is actually the shortest of the four Shubibinman games, despite being the only one on a CD, which is kind of sad. You'd think a game would get longer, not shorter, when it moves from HuCard to CD! The challenge of the first two games just isn't here at all, either. There is a Hard mode, and I will play the game again on that, but it doesn't add as much challenge as it should. This reminds me a bit of Download 2 or that Bakuretsu Yoshimoto Shingeki game, in being Turbo CD games which are fun, but are very short (you'll beat them day one no problem) and have limited replay value. This game has infinite continues, too, making it even easier.

Level designs are a disappointment as well. Most stages are just a path to the right. A few do have jumping puzzle elements, but as in Valis you don't die when you fall, you just lose some health. Levels aren't nearly varied enough, and there are few obstacles apart from a few segments. A good example of this games' wasted potential is that your characters have a cool wall-kick move, to jump off walls... but there is only ONE place in the entire game you'll ever need it, because the rest of the game has almost no walls! It's crazy, why put that in and then fail to use it at all? The other Shubibinman games have better, more interesting level designs. This game has better graphics and music for sure, and fun sword-slashing gameplay, but the levels are too bland in design underneath their often quite nice looks.

Another issue is that you have a gun -- hold down the attack button to charge, let go and you'll shoot -- and can even control your shot (tap fire again, dpad will move it around). That's pretty cool... but it's massively overpowered. Most bosses go down in just a few hits with the gun, it's kind of pathetic how easy it makes most of the game. They didn't balance the gun well at all.

So yeah, this game disappointed me a bit. I WAS expecting it to be easy, because that's its reputation, but the short length and bland levels are unfortunate. Shubibinman 1 may have bland and very repetitive graphics and be unfair (it's easy to moderate in challenge... until you die, at which point it becomes impossible and you should just start the game over), but I like its level-design variety and controls; I like that game a lot more than most, I think. In comparison, this one looks far nicer and the controls are better (apart from your overpowered gun), but the super-short design isn't something I'll probably go back to nearly as often as I have the first game. So yeah, this is an okay game. It's fun though, but is it worth the approximately $20 I paid, or more (I think it often goes for more than that? Maybe not... though being a sidescrolling action game on a system with far too few of them does make it more interesting than it otherwise would be. It's just kind of frustrating, because what's here is good. They just needed to make the rest of the game, and makes the levels more interesting in design as well as looks.

Road Spirits (J)
- I got around to playing this game again, and finished it easily; this is one of the easiest racing games I have ever played. This is an Outrun-style point-to-point racer, but it's linear instead of branching. There are 17 races, which sounds like quite a few, but you'll never lose. The game has nice graphics for the system, good music, okay controls... but there is no challenge here at all. You rarely need to brake, I never actually ran out of time in a race except for one where I intentionally ran out of time just so I could see the game over screen. The game actually has a neat little Game Over animation, so it was worth it. Otherwise, though... this game is playable, but they forgot to include any challenge at all! Everything is here except for a game that's challenging in even the slightest way, and that makes it not that much fun to play. There are no difficulty settings, either. There are four cars and three transmissions (Automatic, 2-speed manual, 5-speed manual), but even in 5-speed mode this game is super easy, you will rarely if ever need to shift down. And the game doesn't really get harder as you go along, either. Just hold down the accelerator, shift up if using manual, and turn when the road does and you should finish every race with plenty of time to spare.

Still, this game is maybe the only behind-the-car linescroll racing game on the Turbo (PC Engine) CD, so I'm happy to have it even if it's absurdly simplistic. It does look and sound good, and it's fun for a few minutes at least. I like the varied settings, you go around the world... though oddly, this Japan-only release has no tracks in Japan, but a full seven in the US, out of 17 total! Yeah. There are as many races in Alaska as there are in Europe -- two each. Heh. Not sure if I've ever seen that before in a racing game.

IrishNinja

I need a case; I've got my Arcade Card has no home. I'm happy to get in and pay for one if there's a spare?

we still haven't ordered shit yet, but ill let you know man!

completely forgot, im dying to play that fantasy zone/harrier hybrid. was just on PCE FX asking about homebrew/prototypes & such for bishop's turbo everdrive, got a great list. those dudes are the best.

Mercutio

we still haven't ordered shit yet, but ill let you know man!

completely forgot, im dying to play that fantasy zone/harrier hybrid. was just on PCE FX asking about homebrew/prototypes & such for bishop's turbo everdrive, got a great list. those dudes are the best.

It is okay, but not great. Isn't really as good as either of the two games it draws from. There's a Bootleg version of it out there that the Sapphire guy made... I have one, but didn't know the history of weird stuff that he did in the community before buying it. I probably wouldn't buy from him again, knowing how he's treated community folks; effectively stealing and publishing their work without permission and not giving them a dime.

robot

Got a NIB Avenue 3 pad, still has that new plastic on the controller. No more Valis 3 sliding with the Run button for this guy!

Mercutio

Got a NIB Avenue 3 pad, still has that new plastic on the controller. No more Valis 3 sliding with the Run button for this guy!

Nice! I usually have mine set to select. But tonight I accidentally hit III and run at the same time and reset my awesome Magical Chase run...

entremet

I saw something on eBay called PC Engine memories. I looked it up and it was a repro.

Didn't know there was a PC Engline/TG16 repro scene.

Makes sense since there so many expensive titles.

Anyone have these?

IrishNinja

It is okay, but not great. Isn't really as good as either of the two games it draws from. There's a Bootleg version of it out there that the Sapphire guy made... I have one, but didn't know the history of weird stuff that he did in the community before buying it. I probably wouldn't buy from him again, knowing how he's treated community folks; effectively stealing and publishing their work without permission and not giving them a dime.

ah, don't know if i know this guy's story...details?

Mercutio

ah, don't know if i know this guy's story...details?

I saw something on eBay called PC Engine memories. I looked it up and it was a repro.

Didn't know there was a PC Engline/TG16 repro scene.

Makes sense since there so many expensive titles.

Anyone have these?

So yeah, these are the same guy, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But basically it seems to have started with the Sapphire bootleg he had made and then tried to pass off as real (forged note from Hudsonsoft or something) and then moved into him taking community projects (Rockman 1 running on PCE, translated PCE games) and pressing them to disc and selling them without any payment or credit to the original folks. Evidently people are releasing less homebrew on the PCE because they don't want their stuff sold.

His packaging is excellent, and even include spinecards. Games like Rockman 1 are basically running as if they are on an NES; "START" is present in menus instead of "RUN."

It's come up again and again at PCE Forums. Recently in the crazy collection thread of kisaku:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=11637.330

Can anyone explain how the backup feature works on a duo r/rx? I'm playing full speed delivery boy and there's now a backup option on the start screen. Does it just auto save progress?

Top Bottom