• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

IrishNinja

yikes @ that PCE FX link mercucio put up, that's...i mean not quite Neo Geo Freaks bad but still pretty terrible

He is also known as Fudoh, the scanlines guy: http://scanlines.hazard-city.de/

Say what you will, his repros are pretty high quality.

shit, same dude? i love his site, that's some conflicting shit right there...still can't cosign selling fan translations though, much less at a high price. and damn that sapphire shit was scummy.

Mercutio

yikes @ that PCE FX link mercucio put up, that's...i mean not quite Neo Geo Freaks bad but still pretty terrible

shit, same dude? i love his site, that's some conflicting shit right there...still can't cosign selling fan translations though, much less at a high price. and damn that sapphire shit was scummy.

I feel like Sapphire COULD have been a great thing, had he labeled the games properly. It really is almost impossible to tell the difference without looking at the disc itself; you'd need to have a legit copy of it side by side. I love the game, and I'm happy I have it; it wouldn't be attainable otherwise, you know? If I ever decide to sell it, I'm going to mark it "REPRO." Though I don't think I'll sell it.

I assume he didn't think he was hurting anyone, but doing something cool. Someone can still do something cool and do unfortunate stuff. Doesn't change the cool stuff, but it also doesn't blot out the unfortunate stuff.

Mercutio

I think it's hilarious because I hate rare games and collecting.

Those tears were delicious.

It isn't about rare games only. I don't think anyone has an issue with rare impossible to get PCE games being available again, if the packaging reflects that it is a reproduction.

I'm not sure what's hilarious about someone doing something cool for the community in a fan translation, and then someone trying to profit off of it without giving the creator their due. Because that's the issue here.

What it has meant is people who might be doing things for the community not bothering. The people who did translations might not bother next time: their act of good will has been taken and profited from without their permission.

Mzo

It isn't about rare games only. I don't think anyone has an issue with rare impossible to get PCE games being available again, if the packaging reflects that it is a reproduction.

I'm not sure what's hilarious about someone doing something cool for the community in a fan translation, and then someone trying to profit off of it without giving the creator their due. Because that's the issue here.

What it has meant is people who might be doing things for the community not bothering. The people who did translations might not bother next time: their act of good will has been taken and profited from without their permission.

I was only talking about Sapphire, and I still think it's hilarious.

I'm pretty active on the PCEFX forums. I know about the Rockman code being an early build of a fan project that is still being worked on and was used without permission. I know about the drama around Xak III. That stuff does suck, I agree. That's not what I was talking about, though.

His recent repros are clearly labelled and he did offer the translation hacks on disc for free to try and compromise. His statement was that, in his experience, trying to work something out would kill the project, so he just skipped the step and took the flak.

I understand both sides, but I can't hate on the guy too much.

lol again at the Sapphire stuff, though.

IrishNinja

totally missed that window (of like a few decades) where arcade cards were what, $20? as a strider fan, i want one, but not for what i see them at sometimes

What's wrong with you?

oh man
like i'm a fan of dude but i don't even know where to begin

Ban Puncher

People who want to sell reproductions? Sure, go nuts.

People who want to sell reproductions but try to pass them off as originals? Meet me somewhere.

Mercutio

totally missed that window (of like a few decades) where arcade cards were what, $20? as a strider fan, i want one, but not for what i see them at sometimes

oh man
like i'm a fan of dude but i don't even know where to begin

You don't want PCE Strider. Nobody does. It's so much more expensive than the Genesis one and just not as good.

Oh my god you guys I just checked and they want more than Dracula X money for it

Oh my god you guys

Mercutio

New in box:

B7F7B858-041A-4160-9E08-92C2EB5FF1EB_zpsgayzidmy.jpg

Feels so awesome. I haven't had an actual unused controller on any of my retro stuff outside of the Gamecube Smash remakes in ages.

Also:
D9DF3A59-C99E-4BCA-B16D-3F888C6044C0_zpsgt32ys1b.jpg

God this game is so much weirder in its original form.

Mercutio

I need to try the Hori FC, I have an Avenue 6 but it's kind of large and uncomfortable.

The Hori FC is really nice feeling. They're also a little cheaper new than the Avenue 6. The only caveat about them seems to be that they can crash the system if you unplug them or plug them in during gameplay... which I don't think I'd do anyway?

Seriously though, Dat Dpad. I'll probably use this as my primary controller just for the dpad alone. You'd also think that the I and II buttons wouldn't feel "right" given their placement, but they are quite comfortable.

Teknoman

I'm really surprised Nintendo let that fly back in the day.

Edit: what's the rules for a thread to be sent to community?

But cause I think this is the only one stuck after getting the genesis moved to gaming.

Edit 2: Yep, it is.

Jamix012

I'm really surprised Nintendo let that fly back in the day.

Edit: what's the rules for a thread to be sent to community?

But cause I think this is the only one stuck after getting the genesis moved to gaming.

Edit 2: Yep, it is.

Edit: I thought I was in the gamecube thread. Ignore me lol

Mercutio

Pretty sure the western version has been censored too.

another game that has some amazing drum samples

Oh yeah, there's a LOT of stuff missing from the Western one. Or changed, etc.

I played the hell out of the Western one years ago, and I noticed in this one:

The big metal orb thing is now a Mother Brain poop.

Instead of throwing a huge bomb after charging, you take a major dump with sunglasses.

Everything with the cow.

I bet there's more too, I just need to see it all.

I played a bit of Kaze Kiri Ninja Action on my Duo last night and thought I'd write up some impressions.

I really, really enjoy this game. The opening cinematic reminded me of Ninja Scroll. It's great for me as a non-Japanese speaker as the cut scene contains zero dialogue. Essentially, you have to rescue a royal princess or something who's been kidnapped by a gang of ninjas. From there you are dumped into a pretty linear forest level where a bunch of the aforementioned ninjas jump you. The backgrounds aren't much too look at, there's a bit of detail, but for the most part it seems like all the effort went into the character sprite animations.

The controls take a bit of acclimating, but the game plays a lot like a faster paced Shinobi with some elements of Ninja Gaiden. The attack button shoots daggers, but when you get in range of an enemy it switches to a fast sword attack which can damage enemies and block incoming projectiles. Additionally, you can use a sliding dash attack, forward and back flip dodge, and use a jump kick. The combat is way faster than Shinobi and feels much more like Ninja Gaiden, which I really like. Another interesting bit is that you have a robust health bar that regenerates but also decreases as you attack. So, effectively, you launch a barrage of sword swipes, slides and daggers, backflip dodges, but it's going to cost you unless you back off. The structure of the levels feels sort of like a conveyor belt brawler but it's all on one plane and so you have to run back and forth killing enemies until the boss appears. I honestly don't mind the minimal level design because the combat feels so good. I'm only about four levels in, but man I really love this game. It's so much different from anything else I've played. This one alone justifies my Duo R purchase.

robot

I played a bit of Kaze Kiri Ninja Action on my Duo last night and thought I'd write up some impressions.

Yea, It's a pretty awesome game that I had no idea existed until a few months ago. Do you own an authentic copy or a repro from the PCE Memories box?

IrishNinja

so, 2 weeks later (USPS musta lost it?), my Duo-R is back, and better than ever!

booted rondo of blood up faster than ever, no issues at all. did the same for the burned copy with the english translation too, so happy to finally have this system back & working like it should...composite on my roommate's duo isn't bad, but man is it great to have everything back on RGB!

so, 2 weeks later (USPS musta lost it?), my Duo-R is back, and better than ever!

booted rondo of blood up faster than ever, no issues at all. did the same for the burned copy with the english translation too, so happy to finally have this system back & working like it should...composite on my roommate's duo isn't bad, but man is it great to have everything back on RGB!

Nice, did you send it away for RGB modding?

IrishNinja

nah, it was the doujindace one i bought like forever ago - RGB modded and region switch for hucards, i just needed it fixed because it was taking forever to boot CD's, and many times outright failing. even legit games like Rondo would have audio skips/drops in mid-level...so he said:

basically all I did was clean off the lens rails and regrease them again. I did also make one minor lens adjustment just because it did seem to get the lens reading a little bit quicker.

works beautifully, and my roommate's turbo everdrive is awesome too, gonna dump some more homebrew stuff on there later. he's debating buying the next revision one with arcade card support, hoping that works out so i can scoop this one up on the cheap, haha

grendelrt

If I boot up super system card through my everdrive in my duo, does it still read off everdrive at that point? I ask because I hate pulling the everdrive out each time I want to play a CD game because of how tight it fits.

Wereroku

Hey Irish do you have a link to the everdrive revision having arcade card support the only thing I can find says it won't have that.

grendelrt

nah, was just doing that myself - boot up super system card or whatever and you'll go right to disc

Yeah I know it works, but I was curious where the system is then reading from at that point. If its reading from the SD card on the ED or the actual Turbo Duo internal built in SCD memory.

IrishNinja

i'm guessing the ED, because ours has BIOS from several revisions/regions and i believe they all work

*edit ah think i misread you

antibolo

Banned
Hi guys, haven't come to this thread in a while.

For the past year or so I've kept a Saved Search on eBay for Rondo of Blood, and not only is the game available in ample quantity, prices have only been going up. $220+ are now common.

I don't fucking get it.

For the past year or so I've kept a Saved Search on eBay for Rondo of Blood, and not only is the game available in ample quantity, prices have only been going up. $220+ are now common.

I don't fucking get it.

Pretty soon it'll eclipse SNES Drac X, lmao

IrishNinja

literally picked it up for...$60 i wanna say? on SHMUPs forum a year or so ago
same week, Saturn SOTN for $50 on gamegavel

do not support these prices people

Mercutio

I don't fucking get it.

It's been featured in a bunch of "let's play" style videos, and there's a ton more info out there about it than a year ago. The Angry Video Game Nerd's video on it has something like 622k hits now.

And yeah, it's not like it's "rare." Just in demand, I suppose.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's been featured in a bunch of "let's play" style videos, and there's a ton more info out there about it than a year ago. The Angry Video Game Nerd's video on it has something like 622k hits now.

AVGN and Mike Matei can singlehandedly drive up prices on any uncommon game they feature. It's not surprising to me that it's in as high of a demand as it is. I'm just glad I only paid about $100 for it when I bought it a year ago.

Mercutio

AVGN and Mike Matei can singlehandedly drive up prices on any uncommon game they feature. It's not surprising to me that it's in as high of a demand as it is. I'm just glad I only paid about $100 for it when I bought it a year ago.

Ditto. My copy was around $115, and included spinecards. I was pretty sure I was overpaying at the time.

ZealousD

Ditto. My copy was around $115, and included spinecards. I was pretty sure I was overpaying at the time.

If I wanted to play retro video game speculator, I would speculate on any halfway decent uncommon that's below $100 that James and Mike haven't featured yet. =P

D.Lo

I doubt anyone here paid as much as I did for a copy... mail order in 1995/96ish, with a Duo, I can't remember the exact price right now but the Australian dollar was incredibly weak and it was something like $500 for game and system. But I was a huge Castlevania fan and had to have it.

I don't understand these youtube watchers. If you're so Johnny-come-lately on extremely well known games like that, wouldn't you just grab the Wii virtual console version? I mean exactly how many people out there have RGB modded PC Engines capable of equal quality output than the native RGB/Component Wii?

robot

What's everyone's thoughts on the Valis series? I just acquired the Valis 1 remake and now own all 4 games. It's has pretty average gameplay but I love everything else about it. I haven't picked a favorite yet, leaning towards 3.

ZealousD

I don't understand these youtube watchers. If you're so Johnny-come-lately on extremely well known games like that, wouldn't you just grab the Wii virtual console version? I mean exactly how many people out there have RGB modded PC Engines capable of equal quality output than the native RGB/Component Wii?

People aren't spending $200 to play the game. They're spending $200 to COLLECT the game.

Top Bottom