• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

steam | April 2015 - Orange, you glad it’s morningbus? “No.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

Skyrim is really all the same. I got hyped because people said it was great, bought it and...it was really, really, really boring. I completed the main quest and I uninstalled it, maybe I did one DLC, can't remember, all I can remember is snow and locations that look like the same one.

Hmm, that's a shame to hear. I got that feeling even from the beginning. The very start of the opening mission gave me some hope, but the combat just felt so stiff, even considering the fact that I was just starting out. The weird lack of polish in the animations felt really jarring, too. When I was sneaking by the bear in the opening, watching it swivel around without actually moving any limbs was just really odd looking, especially for something that's supposed to be so polished.

Jawmuncher

and people were saying this would be a good thing and that we should just see how it plays out. Well it's playing out and it looks like shit.

FFVII isn't even the best FF on the platform it came out on.

I know, but i was just getting back to the notion that the gameplay and world of Fallout, as envisioned by Bethesda, was better than the series they built their empire on, which is why i'm interested in my NV playthrough moreso than Skyrim 2: Dragons Can Be Mean At Times edition

I know that it's still good though.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Vd1j7n6.png

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-7AD8EF5A932F4837 - Taken by chronomac

Backlogger

Probably down because it looks like they have done some type of update to the new workshop and paid mods. They are back down to just 17 paid mods at the moment.

Dr Dogg

Well seeing as Valve and by proxy Steam is finished now, you folks should all buy a WiiU if you don't own one already. Xenoblade Chronicles X looks ridonculious!!!

Uzzy

Well seeing as Valve and by proxy Steam is finished now, you folks should all buy a WiiU if you don't own one already. Xenoblade Chronicles X looks ridonculious!!!

Nintendo has been finished since 1992 though, so I'm going someplace that's free from scummy business practices, the Google Play Store!

Well i do;t see any issues. They told him that they can make Mod available only for current owners. That is standard procedure even for games on Steam. People who bought Deadpool can still download and play that game but people can't buy it anymore.

Yeah, it looks that way. But people will jump to the worst conclusions anyway.

chronomac

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Vd1j7n6.png

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-7AD8EF5A932F4837 - Taken by chronomac

This was Pid. Anyone want it?

madjoki

Well i do;t see any issues. They told him that they can make Mod available only for current owners. That is standard procedure even for games on Steam. People who bought Deadpool can still download and play that game but people can't buy it anymore.

And considering Steam ToS:

You may, in your sole discretion, choose to remove a Workshop Contribution from the applicable Workshop pages. If you do so, Valve will no longer have the right to use, distribute, transmit, communicate, publicly display or publicly perform the Workshop Contribution, except that (a) Valve may continue to exercise these rights for any Workshop Contribution that is accepted for distribution in-game or distributed in a manner that allows it to be used in-game, and (b) your removal will not affect the rights of any Subscriber who has already obtained access to a copy of the Workshop Contribution.

He accepted this.

Phawx

Finished Win8.1 USB stick.

Never used that before. You folks recommend any good programs for Win8?

Or better, what are your usual suspects when making a clean install?
I am blanking a bit here. Can only think of Chrome+Firefox, Flash... uh, blank.

The best win 8 program is classic shell.

I tried the demo for Not A Hero and I really liked it...I also now want all trees to be like this

NOT A HERO was near the top of my "coming soon and I must have it list" until certain GAFers ruined it for me (it's complicated). :p

I gave up on Spelunky when you have to bring the key from the first world to the fourth one.

You don't HAVE to bring the key from the first world to the fourth one unless you want to unlock the shortcut. And the shortcuts are pretty much useless outside of unlocking characters (which are just cosmetic or tied to an achievement if you care about it) or maybe practicing getting through an area. But mostly for the unlocking characters.

I know it sounds like I'm being a dick, but if you were focused on doing that, because you really believed you needed the shortcut, you missed the whole point of Spelunky and you were playing it wrong.

Dr Dogg

Nintendo has been finished since 1992 though, so I'm going someplace that's free from scummy business practices, the Google Play Store!

I thought Nintendo was doomed, DOOOOOMMMED!!! Maybe it's time for Sir Clive Sinclair to revolutionise the home computer industry again and then blow all the profits on a hybrid powered car project. Only this time with all this climate change concern around he might succeed.

derExperte

Interesting.
I thought 8.1 brought the old, useful look back.
Downloaded and thanks!

I recommend first trying the new one. Maybe you like it? And W10 will bring back the startmenu but it'll have lots of the funcionalities of the start screen.

Also check https://ninite.com/ for a bunch of useful tools lots of people use.

MS said about a year ago that a future update for 8.1 will reinstate the traditional start menu. I take it that never happened (presumably so it could be a feature of Win10)?

Afair that was either a misunderstanding or a rumor.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
8.1 just gives you the button. It doesn't operate like the start menu. When you click on it, it switches you over to the touch interface UX

MS said about a year ago that a future update for 8.1 will reinstate the traditional start menu. I take it that never happened (presumably so it could be a feature of Win10)?

Backlogger

It did not, but it will happen in Windows 10. I have a feeling they wanted to do another update to Windows 8 but decided to hold it all for Windows 9 Windows 10

Dr Dogg

The right click menu for the Windows button on 8.1 has way more useful items at your finger tips than any previous version of Windows Start menu had by default.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
And considering Steam ToS:

He accepted this.
Exactly. And here it is, in layman's terms, straight from the Workshop FAQ:

Q. Can I delete my Workshop item?
A. You can stop selling and delist your Workshop item, but it cannot be deleted. If there are customers that have purchased your item, they will need continued access to the mod as well as your Workshop page so they can reference the items they have purchased.

So... how is this Valve's fault again?

oh that's right...

So people can charge for mods now and Valve gets a cut? Seems fair enough.

What is the next big game after GTA5? Keeping in mind I don't care about TW3.

...Xenoblade Chronicle X!

Otherwise maybe pCARS, if you can consider that big. (Big for crowdfunding at least)

A. You can stop selling and delist your Workshop item, but it cannot be deleted. If there are customers that have purchased your item, they will need continued access to the mod as well as your Workshop page so they can reference the items they have purchased.

it's not, people just need a reason to not put their pitchforks down.

Uzzy

Why think when you can engage in anger and rage, social media's default position on all topics.

Arthea

I'm in some pickle again: I like Princess Battles, the card game is nice, there are choices that matter, but it seems cheevos are bugged, well some at least, and seeing like 3 and a half people are playing it, I doubt it'll be fixed any time soon, then I decide to play Hand of Fate as it's not EA anymore, at first it refuses to run (I like you Unity engine too /s), then after fiddling some it finally runs and it is a quite nice game, but oh boy is it slow, especially comparing to Princess Battles. So what now?

I'm in some pickle again: I like Princess Battles, the card game is nice, there are choices that matter, but it seems cheevos are bugged, well some at least, and seeing like 3 and a half people are playing it, I doubt it'll be fixed any time soon, then I decide to play Hand of Fate as it not EA anymore, at first it refuses to run (I like you Unity engine too /s), then after fiddling some it finally runs and it is a quite nice game, but oh boy is it slow, especially comparing to Princess Battles. So what now?
100% OJ

JaseC

The same is true of store items. Valve partially reversed Squeenix's boneheaded decision to remove Order of War: Challenge from user libraries as those who'd bought Challenge specifically were left with an empty licence.

Phawx

Yea Win10 will be context aware UI. In Desktop mode the start menu will be a hybrid start/metro thing.

The right click menu for the Windows button on 8.1 has way more useful items at your finger tips than any previous version of Windows Start menu had by default.

Yes.

And using win+s is faster than navigating a start menu anyway.

I hated the new Windows at first, like everyone else, so I used Start8 by Stardock for awhile. But after I embraced the change, I'm absolutely fine with the new stuff.

Arthea

don't get me wrong, that game is great, nothing can beat being killed by a chicken or never being able to stop at a home spot, but 100% OJ hates me with such passion, it's a tad intimidating (><)

Yes.

I hated the new Windows at first, like everyone else, so I used Start8 by Stardock for awhile. But after I embraced the change, I'm absolutely fine with the new stuff.

hi there!
I still hate win8 and will hate until I die, not like 100%OJ hates players but close.
It does everything what I consider wrong and some I didn't knew is wrong, but now I know. 8.1 is better tho

JaseC

It did not, but it will happen in Windows 10. I have a feeling they wanted to do another update to Windows 8 but decided to hold it all for Windows 9 Windows 10
Yea Win10 will be context aware UI. In Desktop mode the start menu will be a hybrid start/metro thing.

Yeah, the screenshots I've seen of it here and there show what seems to be an acceptable compromise.

Uzzy

I thought Nintendo was doomed, DOOOOOMMMED!!! Maybe it's time for Sir Clive Sinclair to revolutionise the home computer industry again and then blow all the profits on a hybrid powered car project. Only this time with all this climate change concern around he might succeed.

I just had a look at what Sir Clive Sinclair was doing and discovered, to my amazement, that a new Sinclair ZX Spectrum, the Vega, has actually been developed with IndieGogo money, and is available to buy as of today.

I so want one.

Grief.exe

Yes.

Fundamentally, you can break down the majority of hate against Win 8 to fear of change.

Most of the differences are cosmetic with objective speed improvements. Win + X, Win + S, Win + click on application. Really nothing has changed from an end user perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom