• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: June 1-7, 2009

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Durante said:
Does this retroactively change the perception of what some early JRPGs achieved on 360 (eg. Trusty Bell's 70k, 44k first week)?

Of course not, that doesnt have anything to do with defending the Wii!

2007/2 NDS Luminous Arc (Marvelous) - 30,743
2009/6 WII Arc Rise Fantasia (Marvelous) - 28,000

Other New IP RPGs published by Marvelous from a quick look at garaph...

NDS Contact - 6,064
NDS Avalon Code - 14,893
WII Muramasa - 23,900
PSP Valhalla Knights -14,089

Atreides

Allan Holdsworth said:
Other New IP RPGs published by Marvelous from a quick look at garaph...

NDS Contact - 6,064
NDS Avalon Code - 14,893
WII Muramasa - 23,900
PSP Valhalla Knights -14,089

I suppose that they actually didn't bomb so hard. It seems like these sales are normal for titles published by Marvelous, and they continue to do these kinds of games.

billy.sea said:
OMG what is that Level 5 game? Something a long the line of Professor Layton?
More or less, yes.
Layton's puzzles are a little more "straightforward" than those you find in this game, which is more based on lateral thinking. Here's a preview (mild spoilers alert, but nothing serious).

Sloane and MacHale are not the leading characters; they're the authors of the book used as a reference for this game. :D

cvxfreak

Going into Japanese game stores these last few weeks (and even months) is so depressing if you care about sales enough. There are enough shoppers around, but the amount of things being bought just seems so low compared to even a year ago. I think the stores will be lucky to ring up customers at an average of one per five minutes.

That, and all the stuff that's just on sale these days. They still haven't sold out of the Biohazard 5 360 bundles, and the Gyakuten Kenji DSi bundles are still around too (an indication that Kenji is having a hard time selling to new fans without DS systems).

Of All Trades said:
It sold ~70% of shipment, that seems pretty much dead on for retailers meeting demand. I'm sure if retailers had ordered 100k then there'd be endless crowing about how it doesn't matter if it only sold 25% of shipment because Marvelous already got their money. Hell, I'm pretty sure if it only shipped 10k and sold out there'd be crowing about how it's in huge demand.

At this point I think some posters will only consider it a bomb if it actually explodes and burns down the store. And even then it'll get spun into a victory because the storeowner really wanted to retire and now he'll get that sweet sweet insurance money and can chase teen girls just like in that comedy anime series: Old Man Pervert Chasing Teen Girl Comedy.

This post makes too much sense.

Cygnus X-1

farnham said:
ArcRise, Fragile and Muramasa

had small initial shipments and were sold out.. its unfortunate that the companies behind them did not have the courage to put out more copies but i dont think it was a financial disaster for them either..

Actually, I cannot blame them. It's very difficult to predict how much will sell a game on Wii, if it's a non-Nintendo game and if it's a new franchise.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
farnham said:
its unfortunate that the companies behind them did not have the courage to put out more copies ..

I wouldn't criticize the companies for lacking courage- given the current Wii market, I'd say it was a smart business decision to undership. Could ARF have sold a bit more? Probably..but nothing crazy. Maybe another 3-4K if it was more widely available, but nothing in the long run changes about the title. It will struggle to hit 60K and will rely on selling better in the West.

cvxfreak

ARF definitely isn't sold out, in case anyone was wondering.

I think people need to now keep an eye out for Wii Sports Resort and how it will do. The pre-sale push is underway, and the game should be big, but I'm having my doubts as to whether it will be huge in one day like Smash Bros. or Mario Kart Wii were. I'm expecting more of a performance closer to Wii Fit. Nintendo is overdue for a 2009 million seller.

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
I think people need to now keep an eye out for Wii Sports Resort and how it will do. The pre-sale push is underway, and the game should be big, but I'm having my doubts as to whether it will be huge in one day like Smash Bros. or Mario Kart Wii were. I'm expecting more of a performance closer to Wii Fit. Nintendo is overdue for a 2009 million seller.

Yeah I was just about to ask- how is the marketing? Pretty intense? Wonder if it might be a bit supply constrained with the Wii Motion + units.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
cvxfreak said:
Nintendo is overdue for a 2009 million seller.

The industry is in general. It's pitiful that only one game has even cracked 500k this year (2 if you count MHP2G's Best re-release sneaking up around 500k in annual 2009). Just pitiful.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stumpokapow said:
The industry is in general. It's pitiful that only one game has even cracked 500k this year (2 if you count MHP2G's Best re-release sneaking up around 500k in annual 2009). Just pitiful.

Shall we discuss who is to blame, or should we break out scapegoats like piracy or the economy?

cvxfreak

Stumpokapow said:

I would also count Biohazard 5 among the three this year, mainly because if there were only a PS3 version, it would have been way beyond 500K anyway. (And it has nothing to do with my fandom, I swear. :lol)

schuelma said:
Yeah I was just about to ask- how is the marketing? Pretty intense? Wonder if it might be a bit supply constrained with the Wii Motion + units.

Actually, it's not that intense yet. Nintendo doesn't tend to employ in-your-face marketing in game stores as much as Capcom or Konami might. But the ads are there, and onlookers should see them. I think Nintendo is counting on the name speaking for itself, which is fair. Monster Hunter 3 on the other hand is already intense for a game a few weeks away, and will only get bigger.

Nintendo has put up notices for the red DSi and the black Wii. They should get bigger in the coming weeks, too.

Even DQIX doesn't have a lot of ads in dedicated game stores. In fact, SE is cleverly putting up big posters in front of convenience stores to catch the attention of people who may not frequent game shops.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HK-47 said:
Shall we discuss who is to blame, or should we break out scapegoats like piracy or the economy?

1) Rising cost of rice is making it harder for people to buy games!

2) Taro Aso's manga fandom and immense personal popularity causing people to get into manga instead of games.

3) Video game buyers too scared of otaku gari to leave the house

All very likely explanations!

markatisu

HK-47 said:

And who is to blame besides consumers that across 5 platforms we have only two noteworthy games

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:

Well, to be fair, no a lot of high profile stuff were released in Japan so far. I think in general we're seeing more and more that only two types of releases can get massive numbers in Japan these days:

a) big franchise/brand titles

b) successful casual games

The buying power of core gamers are steadily decreasing for new IPs and spin-offs either because they want to spend less and hence only buy the titles they're sure that they'll like (known IPs, established brands), or because they no longer want to throw down full price for games they're unsure about.

Stuff like KH, FF, RE, etc will still sell without a doubt. But I haven't seen any new IPs do particularly well (500k+) in Japan since early PS2 days honestly. It's been all downhill since then.

cvxfreak said:
Gyakuten Kenji DSi bundles are still around too (an indication that Kenji is having a hard time selling to new fans without DS systems).
That almost anyone interested in Gyakuten Kenji would've already had a DS for one of the previous four Gyakuten games seems very unsurprising to me.

Dragon

Banned
Jax said:
I never check these... but holyshit at wiifit selling 3.5 million copies in japan.

wut!

Have you seen its worldwide sales? It's a juggernaut. I'm curious to see how Wii Fit Plus is going to do.

duckroll said:
Stuff like KH, FF, RE, etc will still sell without a doubt. But I haven't seen any new IPs do particularly well (500k+) in Japan since early PS2 days honestly. It's been all downhill since then.
Well, depends how you mean "early"; I'd consider Monster Hunter and Yakuza products of PS2's later days. I also take it you mean more core IPs, since things like Wii __, Brain Age, Nintendogs, and Layton come to mind too.

wrowa

Allan Holdsworth said:
NDS Avalon Code - 14,893
I didn't know that it started so low. According to the Famitsu top 500 Avalon Code sold 45k in 2008 – so it trippled its first week. Which isn't that bad.

I don't believe that Arc Rise Fantasia will hit the 40k mark, though. Wii RPGs tend to have no legs at all, sadly. Well, maybe I'm just overly sceptic by now...

duckroll

JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, depends how you mean "early"; I'd consider Monster Hunter and Yakuza products of PS2's later days. I also take it you mean more core IPs, since things like Wii __, Brain Age, Nintendogs, and Layton come to mind too.

Yeah, I was referring to core IPs, since I already mentioned that successful casual games can do very well. Basically targeting people who are not us. Since if they're good games, people like us will buy it anyway, because we can see it, and yet they appeal to a crowd not limited to people like us.

Yakuza is pretty much the last successful new IP from Japan, yeah. Even with Yakuza and Monster Hunter, they didn't take off massively right off the bat. It took a ton of word of mouth and at least one re-release/sequel before the franchises really took off. That just shows how hard it is to fight for market share among core gamers these days imo.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stumpokapow said:
1) Rising cost of rice is making it harder for people to buy games!

2) Taro Aso's manga fandom and immense personal popularity causing people to get into manga instead of games.

3) Video game buyers too scared of otaku gari to leave the house

All very likely explanations!
Incredible analysis.

farnham

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
i agree there are a lot of new IPs that went crazy that were released recently..

still its hard for a small company like marvelous to be successful with new IPs.. its sad but true..

I don't get why people think Arc Rise Fantasia is such a "bomb". It's only its opening week and clearly it didn't have such a big budget. And looking at past games of its relevance on other platforms seems to be doing similar to them (not saying that's a good thing).

This is just the late 2000 decade Japanese market. These kind of games have been going downhill for some time. Yes there are exceptions like Monster Hunter, Tekken, Blazblue, Yakuza, and Demon Souls. But they are just that, exceptions.

duckroll said:
Yeah, I was referring to core IPs, since I already mentioned that successful casual games can do very well. Basically targeting people who are not us. Since if they're good games, people like us will buy it anyway, because we can see it, and yet they appeal to a crowd not limited to people like us.

Yakuza is pretty much the last successful new IP from Japan, yeah. Even with Yakuza and Monster Hunter, they didn't take off massively right off the bat. It took a ton of word of mouth and at least one re-release/sequel before the franchises really took off. That just shows how hard it is to fight for market share among core gamers these days imo.

IMO it more so has to do with the lack of the core gamer market more so then competitive market share. Games like Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, and the likes appeal to more then just the serious gamer.

duckroll

Flying_Phoenix said:
I don't get why people think Arc Rise Fantasia is such a "bomb". It's only its opening week and clearly it didn't have such a big budget. And looking at past games of its relevance on other platforms seems to be doing similar to them (not saying that's a good thing).

This is just the late 2000 decade Japanese market. These kind of games have been going downhill for some time.

It certainly has a much higher budget than Luminous Arc though. And it's performing worse. Both games share the same developer and publisher, and Arc Rise Fantasia is a relatively big deal for the developer in particular. Mikage managed to attract several members of Tales Studio to join his company to make this game, and it's been in development for 2 years or more.

For it to perform worse than the SRPGs that he made with his much more amateur team with much less development time, is not good news because it just means MMV is now less likely to be interested in a "big" project with Image Epoch, when it sells worse than their small projects with MMV.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:
It certainly has a much higher budget than Luminous Arc though. And it's performing worse. Both games share the same developer and publisher, and Arc Rise Fantasia is a relatively big deal for the developer in particular. Mikage managed to attract several members of Tales Studio to join his company to make this game, and it's been in development for 2 years or more.

For it to perform worse than the SRPGs that he made with his much more amateur team with much less development time, is not good news because it just means MMV is now less likely to be interested in a "big" project with Image Epoch, when it sells worse than their small projects with MMV.

But that doesnt paint a rosy picture where everyone is happy, duckroll.

duckroll said:

I'm not saying that this game didn't bomb due to its budget, but more so due to its (what's the right word for this) "relevancy" in the gaming market. Big for Marvelous or not it looks pretty tame and average compared to other JRPG's on the market. And factoring that in it really didn't perform that much lower then your usual JRPG that doesn't have a brand name or huge marketing push behind it.

EDIT - I'm not trying to say that this isn't bad but more so that this isn't surprising or unusual.

idlewild_

ick @ those numbers :(, #30 would be around, what, 3k?

are the only big games on deck for next 2 mos WSR, DQIX and MH3? anything that might pick up the other systems?

ps: wii now over ps3 ytd?

farnham

Banned
duckroll said:

its sad that marvelous did not ship more then the initial 30k.. but it will come out in Europe and NA so i dont think they will loose money on this project.. plus arc rise fantasia will probably get a second shipment... so its not going to stay at 30k

farnham

Banned
schuelma said:
I wouldn't criticize the companies for lacking courage- given the current Wii market, I'd say it was a smart business decision to undership. Could ARF have sold a bit more? Probably..but nothing crazy. Maybe another 3-4K if it was more widely available, but nothing in the long run changes about the title. It will struggle to hit 60K and will rely on selling better in the West.
saying that its unfortunate is not a critique. im just lamenting the overall situation in japan right now..

schuelma

idlewild_ said:
ick @ those numbers :(, #30 would be around, what, 3k?

are the only big games on deck for next 2 mos WSR, DQIX and MH3? anything that might pick up the other systems?

I believe so. I don't see PS3 doing anything but going lower, honestly.

idlewild_ said:
ps: wii now over ps3 ytd?

Assuming the difference in MC is close to Famitsu, then yes.

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Wii Sanctus Neo Tria

You're funny.

Wii sales are crap. We know this. We've known this. However as long as retailers continue to only order "bomba" amounts of games for the Wii (likely influenced by how much confidence the publisher is putting into the game via advertising), it seems highly unlikely that it even could get better. Retailers should be happy not having extra stock around. Unfortunately for the Wii, unless the retailers order subsequent shipments, the average consumer would never even know these games existed. Can't buy what you don't know exists. :p

duckroll

donny2112 said:
Wii sales are crap. We know this. We've known this. However as long as retailers continue to only order "bomba" amounts of games for the Wii (likely influenced by how much confidence the publisher is putting into the game via advertising), it seems highly unlikely that it even could get better. Retailers should be happy not having extra stock around. Unfortunately for the Wii, unless the retailers order subsequent shipments, the average consumer would never even know these games existed. Can't buy what you don't know exists. :p

Why put all the blame on the retailers? One of the biggest factor for retailers orders aside from advertising is pre-order numbers. Especially for genres like RPGs. It is extremely unlikely that there will be a huge group of potential buyers for genres like RPGs who will go into a store and look on the shelves and go "oh hey cool I think I'll buy this RPG today!" RPG gamers are generally more well informed in terms of gaming releases and what not. If pre-order numbers for a new upcoming console RPG is really low, why would a retailer want to suddenly order MORE in the hopes of people coming in and suddenly deciding to buy the extra stock? The shelf space can be used for stocking up other genres which are more likely to sell to browsing customers instead. Don't you agree?

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
You're funny.

If the Wii fanbase were that interested in Arc Rise Fantasia, the game would have sold its first shipment in the first day.
This obviously did not happen so it's not retailer's fault. RPGs aren't going to show unusual legs only for being on Wii. If the game bombed in the first week it wouldn't have sold better with a huger shipment.

Schuelma has said it better:

And you still can buy "phantom" wii games (like Fragile) on Amazon.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nice KH DS sasles.... how much can we expect ltd ? 600-700K would be awesome, i donT think that SE would have expected more sales from the game...

schuelma

cw_sasuke said:
Nice KH DS sasles.... how much can we expect ltd ? 600-700K would be awesome, i donT think that SE would have expected more sales from the game...

It will probably be much more frontloaded than that.

dcdobson

Regarding Arc Rise Fantasia, an approximately 70% sell-through in one week means that there are almost certainly high-volume stores that completely sold out of their inventory. If more units had been shipped, more would've been sold. How much more is anyone's guess.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
duckroll said:
Yakuza is pretty much the last successful new IP from Japan, yeah. Even with Yakuza and Monster Hunter, they didn't take off massively right off the bat. It took a ton of word of mouth and at least one re-release/sequel before the franchises really took off.

Definitely Yakuza, Layton, and MH are really the only rising star IPs I've seen in the last few years (you might also qualify Rhythm Heaven, but I think that remains to be seen). I wonder if Inazuma might pick up similarly; it has had excellent growth since the rather underwhelming launch, and L5 is obviously committed to it, but I'm not sure it's got any staying power.

donny2112

duckroll said:
RPG gamers are generally more well informed in terms of gaming releases and what not. If pre-order numbers for a new upcoming console RPG is really low, why would a retailer want to suddenly order MORE in the hopes of people coming in and suddenly deciding to buy the extra stock?

Somewhat off subject, but would you also say Japanese RPG gamers are fairly averse to non-well known RPG brands, as well?

That seems to be the impression I get from the lamenting over non-brand name DS RPGs failing to light up the chart based on the quality of the game itself. If that is the case, then it falls on the publisher to get the name out to the public to build up awareness/desire for the game.

duckroll said:
The shelf space can be used for stocking up other genres which are more likely to sell to browsing customers instead. Don't you agree?

For the retailer, yes. The retailer can't control how much a publisher wants to push a game in a typically front-loaded genre like RPGs. For the publisher, it makes sense to push awareness of a title to make that first week as high as possible, which would lead to more pre-orders and, thus, retailer orders, though.

Spiegel said:
And you still can buy "phantom" wii games (like Fragile) on Amazon.

Yeah, the four used and four new copies of the game on Amazon.co.jp really help sell the game to foot traffic in the retailers, since, you know, that was the whole premise behind the concept of the game being "invisible" to the average consumer.

schuelma

dcdobson said:
Regarding Arc Rise Fantasia, an approximately 70% sell-through in one week means that there are almost certainly high-volume stores that completely sold out of their inventory. If more units had been shipped, more would've been sold. How much more is anyone's guess.

Yeah but not that much more.

It sold 18K first day, selling through half its shipment. Would you agree that everyone that wanted to buy it first day did?

If so, then even if there were seventy thousand more copies available, there is no way it does much more than what it did in the following three days (10K) given the extremely front loaded nature of RPG's.

Now, sales might be hurt in next weeks chart if there is no further shipment, but again, we're not talking some huge difference here. I think ARF is probably worth a small second shipment, but that's about it. It was never going to be a hundred thousand seller and this constant "well it would have sold MORE if it had been better supplied" seems to be nothing more than a red herring.

donny2112

bryehn said:
What's Sloane & MacHale like? More Puzzle-Adventure stuff?

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/06/sloane-machale/

schuelma said:
It was never going to be a hundred thousand seller and this constant "well it would have sold MORE if it had been better supplied" seems to be nothing more than a red herring.

My point is that looking at 26K, it's easy (and has been done multiple times with various games) to call it "yet another Wii bomb." However when that first week number is also a relatively high percentage of the entire first shipment indicating that it couldn't have gotten significantly higher regardless, is it still okay to say it's mainly the Wii's fault that the game "didn't sell"?

Top Bottom