• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

nasanu

Banned
It comes in many shapes and sizes, friend.

So you have seen rain that only exists as a sheet in front of your eyes but nowhere else? In forms that land on the windshields but not sunroofs?

This is going to be a brilliant game, but lets not pretend the graphics are perfect, they are very far from it.

So if you're in the US and buying digitally, there's no way to get the McLaren F1, Sauber C9, BMW M1 ProCar, Mercedes-AMG C-Class Coupé DTM, 1967 Ford Mk IV, Ruf CTR3 SMS-R, Pagani Zonda Cinque Roadster, and Ariel Atom 3 Mugen?

That's absolutely fucking ridiculous, especially in a game that has a limited car list to begin with.

So if you're in the US and buying digitally, there's no way to get the McLaren F1, Sauber C9, BMW M1 ProCar, Mercedes-AMG C-Class Coupé DTM, 1967 Ford Mk IV, Ruf CTR3 SMS-R, Pagani Zonda Cinque Roadster, and Ariel Atom 3 Mugen?

That's absolutely fucking ridiculous, especially in a game that has a limited car list to begin with.

uhh...all those are in the US digital version that people can buy for PC and XB1 (those 3 Modified Pack cars are pre-order only)

The only question is about the PS4 version because there's no pre-order page up for buyers yet on PSN

Is that 25% off?

Yep, cool was about to use the 23% off code, save like $1 now.

yeah...that equals 25% off...just can't use vouchers with VIP pricing

I've tried finding this out through Twitter, Facebook and emailing them directly and can't seem to get an answer. I know we should be able to get the same things as everyone else, but since we can't pre-order the digital version at all I can't help but question if we'll get the modified car pack. Would they go ahead and let us have the whole package digitally at launch? Only reason I'm even looking to buy digital is for the limited edition cars since we aren't getting the physical limited edition. Would like if they'd answer so we'd know whether or not to pre-order the physical version to at least get some of the cars or not.

You mean the actual rain or the stuff on the camera lens?

I think the actual rain looks great. That how super heavy rain looks like when I look out the window.

Now if only the guy could turn on his wipers

Also QA doesn't have anything to do with how the rain look on a windscreen...

Cars are not dry...

People really need to stop judging a game by a shitty youtube video.

For the record, Driveclubs rain looks like real life.

So you have seen rain that only exists as a sheet in front of your eyes but nowhere else? In forms that land on the windshields but not sunroofs?

This is going to be a brilliant game, but lets not pretend the graphics are perfect, they are very far from it.
I've seen rain that looks pretty much like what's shown in the video. It's fine.

re: the rain interactions with the cars, point taken. But it doesn't bother me that much, since I'm not going to be ogling the cars much while I'm going 200kph trying not to hydroplane in the rain. ;p

Finally received a response on NA digital release. They weren't able to secure a spot for pre-order on NA PSN within the timeframe but the digital version here will still include both the modified and limited car packs.

Metfanant

Finally received a response on NA digital release. They weren't able to secure a spot for pre-order on NA PSN within the timeframe but the digital version here will still include both the modified and limited car packs.

Not that I don't believe you, but source? So this means if we want the limited cars in the US, we just need to purchase the digital version on launch day?..

If that's the case, then no biggie

Not that I don't believe you, but source? So this means if we want the limited cars in the US, we just need to purchase the digital version on launch day?..

If that's the case, then no biggie

That appears to be the case. I figured it would be but it's just nice to know for sure now.

k79FdHm.png

kyser73

Have you driven in rain with a light source in front of you (e.g. the sun?).

I don't think it looks bad at all. Though I question the lack of windshield wipers...

Nasanu, even after being shown live video of driving at speed in heavy rain, still insisted in saying that DCs warpspeed effect for rain, espcecially at night, wasn't realistic.

Putty

For the record, the last thing people will complain about this game are the graphics. This is one of those instances where only Gaf and Digital Foundry are worried. Seriously, judging by the number of posts in this thread related to graphics x the number of posts related to the game itself, it's pretty clear that even people who are following the game closely don't really understand what this game is about.

I still have a feeling it's gonna score a 9 on Eurogamer and pretty much 80-90% on every major outlet. SMS was pretty careful on addressing the big things people usually complain about racing games. The thing about having 80.000 people betatesting for you is that it's almost impossible to have bone headed decisions in a game like this one.

I guarantee Eurogamer won't score this with a 9...or 10......or even 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1.

gotoadgo

So a question in regards to PC specs and what not. I currently have an i7 920, 6gb RAM and a GTX770(4GB). How will this set up fair running at 1080p? I'm debating either the PC version or the PS4 version but would prefer PC due it more than likely looking nicer as well as having a larger support for wheels.

Pjsprojects

So a question in regards to PC specs and what not. I currently have an i7 920, 6gb RAM and a GTX770(4GB). How will this set up fair running at 1080p? I'm debating either the PC version or the PS4 version but would prefer PC due it more than likely looking nicer as well as having a larger support for wheels.

As an early backer that is running it nearly maxed at 1080p on a 3gb 580 you should be fine.

However I'm still buying a console version.

_machine

Do we have an OT yet? Or is this it?
I don't think anyone is working on it. I would love to make it, but have absolutely no time for it at the moment. I did have a go with the game yesterday and I have to say that the Caterham R500 and Laguna Seca is a brilliant combo; I love the flow of the track and the liveliness of the Caterham.

EDIT: I have no idea how reliable and trusted the site is, but German playmoments.de broke the embargo slightly: https://translate.google.com.au/tra...s-bei-uns-im-test/#wertung&edit-text=&act=url (Very positive, 9.3 score)

Mogwai

Sucks that there's no pre-order on US PSN, let alone a preload. But as long as bonus cars are in I'm not complaining.

The launch is a bit messed up in my opinion. I can see that Steam changed its release from 7th to 6th. On my page, it unlocks in ~15 hours. I hope GMG gets into gear and start sending out those codes.

I don't think anyone is working on it. I would love to make it, but have absolutely no time for it at the moment. I did have a go with the game yesterday and I have to say that the Caterham R500 and Laguna Seca is a brilliant combo; I love the flow of the track and the liveliness of the Caterham.

EDIT: I have no idea how reliable and trusted the site is, but German playmoments.de broke the embargo slightly: https://translate.google.com.au/tra...s-bei-uns-im-test/#wertung&edit-text=&act=url (Very positive, 9.3 score)

No need to embargo this. This is one of those common review types that look like 18 year old journalism grad kids trying to learn on the fly. It's just bullet points and mentioning every aspect of the game that is deemed worthy.

There's little opinion, how you felt playing the game. I hate reviews that just summarize the game for me including only information that i have already known. Maybe some people like it, but i rather read impressions, what's good and not.

I have a feeling we will see a lot of reviews like this one, just going on the basic contents of the game and saying little to none new.

Magitex

Really hoping they ditch the nasty auto-pit ASAP. There's a hundred different solutions for avoiding ratings but I don't think making the car pilot itself is the one we're looking for.

Mascot

Looks horrible. Why can't games do rain? They do standing water fine, spray from wheels fine, but the actual rain? Always looks stupid. At least we aren't getting Driveclub warp speed though.

Oh wow didn't see that in car shot... How did that pass testing? Who thinks rain looks like shattered safety glass? And how does the car stay magically dry, then magically wet from in car with some strange bubble water (except for the sun roof, which keeps its outside view magic)?

Trust me, this rain looks nothing like it should. You can see instantly how its just a 2D effect placed over the camera. The rain needs to fall from the sky, not just jump in from the edge of the screen, it looks all wrong.

Then there is the rain on the windshield which has special powers. Not only does it have super surface tension but also has some kind of energy shield that deflects wind. And the top of cars, they don't just deflect rain but make it disappear totally (because like the spoon, there is no rain).

Then there is the water that gets on the camera. It seems the windshield rain stole all of its surface tension and this rain lays flat smeared across the surface.

Physics and reality wants a word with SMS.

Its much nicer from in car. The rain doesn't actually exist in that view (actually it might but you cant see it) which makes things much nicer looking. And with the wipers going you don't get to see how their windshield looks when fully wet. I could really live with that however for more serous racing ill be using another view which has the rain effect.

The lightening though.. I hope they can fix the way it lights up the spray. Looks very bad.

Lol.

They will give a recommend I feel, provided SMS managed to complete the game which is not certain.

Dan..? Is that you..?

SmokyDave

Couldn't take it any longer. Ordered an i7 / GTX970 combo. I figured this game is worth it.

Finally, I can put the Logitech wheel saga to bed.

Top Bottom