• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Mascot

Will there be a Project CARS review thread?

And who's doing the OT..?

For a game that's attracted a lot of attention (including regularly getting fly-by shit on from space by the orbiting Driveclub sputnik) there seems to be a lot of apathy towards GAF convention.

I'd do the OT but don't really have the time or the skills to do it justice.

And who's doing the OT..?

For a game that's attracted a lot of attention (including regularly getting fly-by shit on from space by the orbiting Driveclub sputnik) there seems to be a lot of apathy towards GAF convention.

I'd do the OT but don't really have the time or the skills to do it justice.

Seems fitting for this game that the OT has to be crowdsourced.

danowat

Banned
The Sixth Axis

There’s a number of rough edges then, and it takes a while to get used to, but there’s still a lot to like about Project CARS. Put a little effort into tweaking the game to suit you, and there’s plenty to enjoy here, whether it’s tackling the unique career, dropping in for a single quick race or heading online to duke it out on track with your friends.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2015/05/06/the-road-to-review-on-track-with-project-cars/

Digitally downloaded 4.5 stars

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2015/05/review-project-cars-sony-playstation-4.html

Godisageek WIP

Design-wise, so far it holds up. At times it can be incredibly pretty, though at no point would you say it looks better than DriveClub. The menus (which you’ll spend a lot of time in) are the easy to navigate tiles that are all the rage at the moment, though they could perhaps be better presented.

http://www.godisageek.com/2015/05/project-cars-review-in-progress/

Mascot

Funded by an unconventional crowdfunding scheme and developed in collaboration with a tight-knit community, this game can't hope to match Sony and Microsoft's in-house flagships when it comes to production values or wealth of content. But it has them licked in another, crucial area: delivering an exciting and authentic motor racing experience for the solo player

Bingo.

dr guildo

I know I'm insisting on that, but again I think rear lights don't reflect enough on the wet ground to make me feel driving in wet condition. The PC version is far ahead in that department which is reflection. Can't wait to see GPGPU properly used on consoles in the near future to unleash the true horse power of them, especially on PS4. Immersion is my main concern when it comes to racing games, and graphics have a great part to play into it, imo.

But I also admit that Slighty mad studio have done an awesome job in maintaining a solid 60fps with that graphics standard, and to be honest I didn't think that Pcars on consoles could look that good. So Kudos to them !

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I know I'm insisting on that, but again I think rear lights don't reflect enough on the wet ground to make me feel driving in wet condition. The PC version is far ahead in that department which is reflection. Can't wait to see GPGPU properly used on consoles in the near future to unleash the true horse power of them, especially on PS4. Immersion is my main concern when it comes to racing games, and graphics have a great part to play into it, imo.

But I also admit that Slighty mad studio have done an awesome job in maintaining a solid 60fps with that graphics standard, and to be honest I didn't think that Pcars on consoles could look that good. So Kudos to them !

I thought they were adding something about reflections on the rear lights in the day one patch?

I don't really care about the rain. In Driveclub (save the seals!) it is incredibly pretty and incredibly stressful to race in. So I don't.

It is something I might turn on once or twice and then actually race 95% of the time in the dry.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It would need to drop in the next 14 hours. Not likely.

Besides, I'm bored with AMD / ATI.

plus you get a free copy of Batman :)

I should probably buy this on PC. I have an i5 + 970 but still tend to play most things on my PS4. I need the steam stream box to come out ASAP.

SmokyDave

plus you get a free copy of Batman :)

I should probably buy this on PC. I have an i5 + 970 but still tend to play most things on my PS4. I need the steam stream box to come out ASAP.
I jumped because of the wheel situation with the PS4. I just can't be arsed with those sort of compatibility woes. Plus, my wheel (and PC) are set up in the office, whereas my PS4 is on the family TV (also known as the Night Garden Box).

I'm at peace with this situation resolved. Game is pre-purchased and waiting to load. Bliss.

JamboGT

Like I have said before I don't think there is any racing game with good AI, only passable or bad. Will be interesting to see if issues are down to there being so many cars on the grid and that causing problems at the start (kinda similar to real life starts) or be the kinds of problems where you have to race "properly" with the AI. However if it is problems with cars not making it round the track, then there is something wrong.

sueil

From what I have seen on the PC version the AI is actually pretty good. They will race me hard and overtake me smartly and force me to defend in the right places. I haven't noticed them crashing into things or having problems making laps. Start of races resemble real life starts where it's kinda a jumble but then things spread out and everyone kinda finds a place to slip into.

MaLDo

I'm guessing it's very track/car/condition dependent. The VVV Ruf videos looked very solid.

I've noticed in a few console gameplays than AI cars sometimes seem to teleport to a very near position. It's something very weird as the AI pathfinding is refreshing not frequently enough. I've not seen that for 4 years in my pc sessions. Maybe is multiplayer desync?

phoenixyz

13 hours until unlock and still no discount code. What the fuck?

edit: No rage necessary, the discount is just not shown everywhere except at checkout...

Been in WMD since the start, its turned into a good game.

But have to say im dissapointed in the amount of features cut, the lack of a wow factor in the car list, as well as the fact assetto corsa has way better force feedback etc which has really re-defined my expectations from a racing game, and not in a good way towards p cars.

Mascot

I jumped because of the wheel situation with the PS4. I just can't be arsed with those sort of compatibility woes. Plus, my wheel (and PC) are set up in the office, whereas my PS4 is on the family TV (also known as the Night Garden Box).

I'm at peace with this situation resolved. Game is pre-purchased and waiting to load. Bliss.

Ah, shame - but I understand your reasons. Was hoping to compare some times with you and maybe meet on the track.

dr guildo

I thought they were adding something about reflections on the rear lights in the day one patch?

I don't really care about the rain. In Driveclub (save the seals!) it is incredibly pretty and incredibly stressful to race in. So I don't.

It is something I might turn on once or twice and then actually race 95% of the time in the dry.

Day one patch you said ?!
I highly hope you are right about this !!!!

sueil

I did it again! I turned on DRS while going through a turn and spun my car obviously damaged something and tried going down a straight at full power while my car was pulling right and I tried to correct it left. Just wanted to get back to the pits without losing too much time. Going full blast down a straight with a broken car ended when I spun out right into a wall and if it was real life would be dead. Wheels went flying off my car and thats the end of that.

From what I have seen on the PC version the AI is actually pretty good. They will race me hard and overtake me smartly and force me to defend in the right places. I haven't noticed them crashing into things or having problems making laps. Start of races resemble real life starts where it's kinda a jumble but then things spread out and everyone kinda finds a place to slip into.

PC version has better AI, that console's one?

Top Bottom