• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow

VegaShinra

Update is Live
After announcing that Firmware 2.80 will be available later tonight, Sony has launched the latest firmware update. There are a few fixes to increase performance such as faster Trophy synchronization and faster XMB loads. Nothing major, but it's slightly quicker.

I'll update this as new stuff is found.
Source- Examiner

Sony is about the launch a new firmware update for the PS3. Available for download tomorrow, the new firmware 2.80 will be a basic update. No major new additions will be made available. There are a few fixes to increase performance such as faster Trophy synchronization and faster XMB loads. Sony will, of course, make an official post either tonight about Firmware 2.80 or early tomorrow to let us know it’s coming later in the day.

As it was reported by ThatGamerAccess, Sony has updated their press site with a 2.80 debug file. It''s not set for download but Sony usually adds these a day before or the day of the real release.

It’s nothing to get excited about. It’s just a typical update.

Source:Examiner

This is one of the first Firmware updates there weren't any leaks surrounding. I guess that's because it has nothing to it major?

PSBlog Post-
PS3 Firmware (v2.80) Update

Posted by Eric Lempel // Director, PlayStation Network Operations

Hello, I just wanted to provide everyone with a head’s up that the next PLAYSTATION 3 system software update (v2.80) will be coming soon. The playback quality of some PLAYSTATION 3 format software has been improved.

Source: PSBlog

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
VegaShinra said:
Source:Examiner

This is one of the first Firmware updates there weren't any leaks surrounding. I guess that's because it has nothing to it major?

To me, anything "faster" is major enough. Looking forward to it.

Jim

It has at least one thing in it that people will want.
But the feature won't be immediately useful.

androvsky

2.80 and no real new features? Oh, there's going to be such an easter egg hunt on this one.

*cue 50 posts from people finding "new" features that the PS3 has had for years

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jim said:

Fixed clock, but it's now displayed upside down.

One of the rumors floating around the Playstation.com boards (a truly amazing source of bullshit information) is that 3.00 will feature full voice chat between games (ala Live). Awesome if true, but hey it's a rumor so... :p

kenta

Has no PEINS
Jim said:
Will this feature be made known via the PS Blog's upcoming post or is it something we won't find out about for a few months?

If the latter, hint stronger please!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
RuGalz said:
Cross game invite, duh! :D
I've always wondered, what is the difference between cross-game invites and what RE5 and Resistance 2 used? It seems like that exact same feature.

pswii60

I really want to see significant improvements with Flash performance.

BBC iPlayer is jerky with some screen tearing. Hulu is abysmal in full screen on high quality. If they could just improve the Flash performance it'd make the PS3 Browser fucking awesome for these types of things.

kuYuri

RoboPlato said:
I've always wondered, what is the difference between cross-game invites and what RE5 and Resistance 2 used? It seems like that exact same feature.

The part that people are specifically talking about is that you can accept an invite from any game on the 360 and the system will automatically ask you to exit the game, insert the disc if applicable, and load you straight into the online game after bypassing the usual start-up logos.

alba

Little is the new Big
Found it weird we didn't get any at E3... glad it's coming afterall :p (bring on moar updates!)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Am I the only one getting hacked off by the constant updates with console OS's and game patches. It seems that I've got do do some sort of update nearly every time I switch my machine on.

I'd much rather have bigger but fewer firmware releases...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Strider2K99 said:
The part that people are specifically talking about is that you can accept an invite from any game on the 360 and the system will automatically ask you to exit the game, insert the disc if applicable, and load you straight into the online game after bypassing the usual start-up logos.
Ah, OK. That's pretty cool. My roommate rarely plays with people on his friend's list on Live and I don't have my own Live account so I didn't know it did this.

Xater

cyberheater said:
Am I the only one getting hacked off by the constant updates with console OS's and game patches. It seems that I've got do do some sort of update nearly every time I switch my machine on.

Then don't turn you console on once every 3 months.

theBishop

Banned
RoboPlato said:

Yep. "Cross-Game" invite has been in since launch. RR7 had it.

PSN is only missing 2 obvious features imo:

#1: Extend the persistent Text Chat feature to Audio (video!?).

#2: Provide an XMB version of HOME's game launching/party feature

After that, I'd like to see HOME bleed out into the general XMB experience (invite directly to apartments, avatar headshot in the Trophy card, etc)

cyberheater said:

It's people like you who complained about monthly updates and now it's like every 3 months. This isn't like the 360 with one or two updates, some people actual lke getting additonal features to their system. Nevermind the constant complaints about PSN being behind LIVE, would catch up a lot faster if firmwares weren't stalled.

/vents

The last few firmware updates have been pretty average. If Sony were smart, they would have bundled Adhoc Party into this new firmware, translated for this years PSP push and especially this week with Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

No Adhoc Party available on western PSN, despite working flawlessly on JPN for any game, with big name multiplayer games like Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Dissidia is increasingly stupid. I want someone in the media to pin them down on this issue and quiz them what the fuck theyre doing about it. Its a pretty big and useful app that benefits anyone with both PSP and PS3.

theBishop

Banned
Strider2K99 said:

The hooks for this feature are already implemented as part of Home. RE5, Resistance 2, Warhawk, Motorstorm 2, and a few others (Killzone2?) support it. I don't see a reason why the same functionality couldn't be implemented as an XMB feature. Phil Harrison said as much back when Home was announced.

Loudninja

cyberheater said:

Wow the complaining about the updates took longer than I thought!

eznark

Banned
Sony Cloud is real!

The hooks for this feature are already implemented as part of Home. RE5, Resistance 2, Warhawk, Motorstorm 2, and a few others (Killzone2?) support it. I don't see a reason why the same functionality couldn't be implemented as an XMB feature. Phil Harrison said as much back when Home was announced.

Cross game voice would be nice.

Wollan

Also, let me be the first one: **** you Infinity Ward for not implementing this new exciting feature.

edit: oh heyo, this one went past many in the following pages. It was a COD4 PS3 support joke (no rumble, no trophies).

Xater

SecretBonusPoint said:
The last few firmware updates have been pretty average. If Sony were smart, they would have bundled Adhoc Party into this new firmware, translated for this years PSP push.

No Adhoc Party available on western PSN, despite working flawlessly on JPN for any game, with big name multiplayer games like Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Dissidia is increasingly stupid. I want someone in the media to pin them down on this issue and quiz them what the fuck theyre doing about it.

Yep. As already mentioned in the Monster Hunter 2 Bundle thread they really only have to translate the damn program. It's shame it's not out in the west.

theBishop

Banned
SecretBonusPoint said:
The last few firmware updates have been pretty average. If Sony were smart, they would have bundled Adhoc Party into this new firmware, translated for this years PSP push and especially this week with Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.

No Adhoc Party available on western PSN, despite working flawlessly on JPN for any game, with big name multiplayer games like Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Dissidia is increasingly stupid. I want someone in the media to pin them down on this issue and quiz them what the fuck theyre doing about it. Its a pretty big and useful app that benefits anyone with both PSP and PS3.

it works for all games?! :O

anyone playing Liberty City Stories with it?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Loudninja said:
Wow the complaining about the updates took longer than I thought!

So I'm not the only one then.... Good.

Xater

theBishop said:
it works for all games?! :O

anyone playing Liberty City Stories with it?

As far as I understnad it it should work with all Ad-Hoc games. Monste rhUnter and Phantasy Star are definately played.

xBerserker said:
One update I'll like to see.

Lock Save Data to a PSN ID instead of a hardware based .....
THIS. I'm in process of getting my launch ps3 repaired, and I'm going to lose all my data.

I was over 100 hours into Demon's Souls, literally at the final boss, then this happened.

cyberheater said:
So I'm not the only one then.... Good.
Nobody said that, but the complaints always stem from the same group of people who spend most of their time on another console and then turn on their PS3 6 months later to QQ about updates. 5 minutes and you get some new features/improvements to improve the overall experience. It's not a bad tradeoff at all.

theBishop

Banned
makingmusic476 said:
THIS. I'm in process of getting my launch ps3 repaired, and I'm going to lose all my data.

I was over 100 hours into Demon's Souls, literally at the final boss, then this happened.

Is it possible to do a normal drive copy using a PC? (dd command on linux, for example)

It's standard SATA so unless there's some awful protection around the HDD serial, this should work.

careful

Do they have set deadlines where they need to release an update? Because if it's really minor then couldn't they have just waited until they had something more significant before releasing an update?
I'm not complaining, but some people are a bit annoyed with too many system updates.

Top Bottom