• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow

Schrade

androvsky said:
I now have official and final word on whether or not the PS3's browser handled Hulu well enough: It did. How do I know? Hulu now blocks the PS3's browser. Could someone with 2.76 verify that something very odd didn't happen with the user-agent string?

Instead of fixing the problem with ad revenue not being worth enough by getting more people to watch Hulu, they just send people to places where ad revenue is higher. As nice as Hulu is, they do seem to be going to a lot of effort to get me to dislike the service.
Just tested in 2.76 and I get the message:

"Unfortunately, this video is not available on your platform. We apologize for any inconvenience."

rjcc

gregor7777 said:
It was shit anyhow. Just use TVersity. It's free and works great with Hulu.

some people in the comments said tversity is blocked too, is it working for you now?

Schrade

Just tested again in Firefox, but using the PS3 browser's user agent. It was blocked:

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (PLAYSTATION 3; 1.00)

2efrty1.png

Oni Jazar

I hope Hulu doesn't mess with PlayOn anymore.

One thing I heard Hulu was thinking about adding interactive commercials to prevent these kind of software (Boxee, TVersity, PlayOn) from working.

Wow, I went by the advice given above, and am using Tversity (You have to update to Pro but it's free to try, and goes by the honor system for you to pay for the update later), and after going into the settings for a minute, this works WAY better than it ever did in the PS3 browser. I highly recommend everybody to watch hulu through Tversity.

dazed808

More than likely already mentioned, but not having to press O a couple of times after typing a message in chat before I can press the PS button to get back to playing is fantastic.
Only a small thing but it bugged the hell out of me.

androvsky

PlayOn still works. I'm sure Hulu will go after them again at some point; I still doubt they'll be able to break PlayOn technically, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Hulu attempts a legal challenge.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dazed808 said:
More than likely already mentioned, but not having to press O a couple of times after typing a message in chat before I can press the PS button to get back to playing is fantastic.
Only a small thing but it bugged the hell out of me.

Ah. I love stealth fixes.

edit: awesome you can press PS button even with the virtual keyboard up.

androvsky said:
PlayOn still works. I'm sure Hulu will go after them again at some point; I still doubt they'll be able to break PlayOn technically, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Hulu attempts a legal challenge.

They break PlayOn technically all the time. Or at least they did a few months ago. They'd change something small and PlayOn would need an update to fix it.

I hear that's been rectified a bit the last few months.

JUSTIN_BAILEY said:
Wow, I went by the advice given above, and am using Tversity (You have to update to Pro but it's free to try, and goes by the honor system for you to pay for the update later), and after going into the settings for a minute, this works WAY better than it ever did in the PS3 browser. I highly recommend everybody to watch hulu through Tversity.

No question. You can't browse like you can with PlayOn, but hey, it's free. Hulu functionality just happened 2 updates ago, so I'd be willing to bet they add more features as time goes on.

androvsky

gregor7777 said:
They break PlayOn technically all the time. Or at least they did a few months ago. They'd change something small and PlayOn would need an update to fix it.

I hear that's been rectified a bit the last few months.

I meant on a permanent basis, such that we'd have to completely give up on streaming Hulu with it. Kinda like with Netflix and Silverlight (uh-oh).

pswii60

Oni Jazar said:
I hope Hulu doesn't mess with PlayOn anymore.

One thing I heard Hulu was thinking about adding interactive commercials to prevent these kind of software (Boxee, TVersity, PlayOn) from working.
So in an effort for us to watch this stuff on our TVs, we've actually made the situation worse for the genuine PC Hulu user. We should feel bad :s

DMeisterJ

Banned
Another stealth update I giving pictures to the profiles you're prompted to pick when you turn the PS3 on... Unless it's been there forever.

Dante

OK I thought this was the appropriate thread, but since the FW update I was having an issue with all my PS3 buddies showing up offline. Even ones that I know for sure are online.

This is a weird one, but I tried everything to fix, but the fix that worked oddly enough was deleting my profile comment......Weird!

DMeisterJ said:
Another stealth update I giving pictures to the profiles you're prompted to pick when you turn the PS3 on... Unless it's been there forever.
been there forever or at least a year lol

bdizzle said:
I havent been keeping up, but why would hulu not want the PS3 to be able to play their content?
Ads on TV bring in way more money than ads online. So Hulu - or its content providers really - don't want web-based media appearing on TVs whenever they can help it. The thinking is the more you watch web stuff the less you watch TV and, therefore, they make less money.

KillJade

Banned
Absolutely, I'm just bored and felt like installing it today, no worries. Was just surprised that the file was that large.

I just want the text chat upgrade. :p

Top Bottom