• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow

Forsete said:
Total update time (download 2:22, install 2:55, then we have reboots etc) was about 5 minutes and 30 seconds.

I'm back with Wifi and it took an hour to download and install... I miss my cable connexion

vazel

Banned
Is hulu still choppy for anyone else? Someone on another forum says it plays smoothly for him but it's still choppy for me.

pswii60

vazel said:
Is hulu still choppy for anyone else? Someone on another forum says it plays smoothly for him but it's still choppy for me.
No, still choppy here, always has been.

480p or Full Screen and it goes jerky as hell. Of course people have different thresholds of watchable, but unwatchable for me.

Fucking stupid. You'd think with all the power of PS3 that Sony would be able to do a decent Flash plug-in. Although I think it's because the browser doesn't have access to the GPU for security reasons or something (like Linux), but even so..

Mrbob

If the 3.0 update is true, too bad it sounds like it will be a ways away.

XMB voice chat would be nice. Go outside the constraints of the game since in game voice chat is always hit and miss.

yurinka said:
Fixed.

BTW downloaded in 2:30
I have hardware B/C that I never use so even software B/C would do me no good. In fact, I wouldn't mind trading in my hardware B/C PS3 for a non-B/C unit that uses less electricity.

Lain

Total update time was 7.30 minutes for me. Took about 3 minutes downloading, installing took longer.
Still pretty fast.

borsdy

Banned
blindrocket said:
I have hardware B/C that I never use so even software B/C would do me no good. In fact, I wouldn't mind trading in my hardware B/C PS3 for a non-B/C unit that uses less electricity.
Thank you for your contribution to this firmware discussion.

Here something someone can check out for me...

For the longest time whenever a Blu-ray has 480i or 480p extras, the PS3 would never upscale those extras. Can someone test it out?

pswii60 said:

480p or Full Screen and it goes jerky as hell. Of course people have different thresholds of watchable, but unwatchable for me.

Fucking stupid. You'd think with all the power of PS3 that Sony would be able to do a decent Flash plug-in. Although I think it's because the browser doesn't have access to the GPU for security reasons or something (like Linux), but even so..

It's funny. The PS3 is ranks up there as one of my favourite pieces of electronics I've ever owned, and it's 90% due to the media functions. That said, the fact that it can't play Hulu in its browser infuriates me to no end.

PlayOn gives me enough issues from being a beta tester and the various subsequent try outs that I refuse to pay for it, so Hulu on my main TV is a no go until the fucking browser becomes useable for media streams.

The part that makes me so mad about it is that it seems as long as Sony has a browser that sort of works for text sites so they can put a bullet point on the box, they don't seem to give a shit about it actually being fully functional.

Shins said:
I'm on wifi and it took under five minutes wifi isn't the problem your peasant Internet is :lol
i've never had a firmware update come any faster than 15 minutes for the download over wifi. actually any downloads on PS3 over wifi are slow as hell. Takes a couple hours to download every episode of qore, for example.

for comparison, i can download say a 1gb demo on my 360 over wifi, or on my laptop, in about 10 minutes

carlosp

Banned
JodyAnthony said:
i've never had a firmware update come any faster than 15 minutes for the download over wifi. actually any downloads on PS3 over wifi are slow as hell. Takes a couple hours to download every episode of qore, for example.

for comparison, i can download say a 1gb demo on my 360 over wifi, or on my laptop, in about 10 minutes

something is wrong with your router. I usually have the same speed with my laptop as well as ps3. From the EU servers it is almost always about 1-1.5 MB/sec. From the us it depends on the time i am downloading. Usually not much slower then that.

Kccitystar

I honestly wasn't expecting much from this update. I've taken a look at the PlayStation Blog and people are raging over an update that "improves PS3 software playback". Maybe we should translate PR speak.

"playback of PS3 software has been improved"

is

"we made changes under the hood that you probably won't notice like code rewrites and optimizations in our firmware

I still think they are trying to be as efficient with their code as they can to make room for cross game chat and all that extra stuff.

Cruzader

Banned
gregor7777 said:
It's funny. The PS3 is ranks up there as one of my favourite pieces of electronics I've ever owned, and it's 90% due to the media functions. That said, the fact that it can't play Hulu in its browser infuriates me to no end.

PlayOn gives me enough issues from being a beta tester and the various subsequent try outs that I refuse to pay for it, so Hulu on my main TV is a no go until the fucking browser becomes useable for media streams.

The part that makes me so mad about it is that it seems as long as Sony has a browser that sort of works for text sites so they can put a bullet point on the box, they don't seem to give a shit about it actually being fully functional.
I agree and disagree. PS3s browser is no longer just a bullet point. every modern machine has one even DS/wii. MS are the only ones with their head up thei ass about it. And just bc it dont work on your fav site, doesnt mean its useless since 95% of the sites out there work. obviously its not perfect but gets the job done.

Argyle

gregor7777 said:

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea why PlayOn is causing so many issues for you? I just downloaded it and am on my free trial, and it seemed pretty much plug and play for me...

Sapiens

The only problem I had was when I was booting the system back up. The orchestra chime kind of skipped a couple of times. The second boot up had no such trouble playing.

Dre

_leech_ said:
Here something someone can check out for me...

For the longest time whenever a Blu-ray has 480i or 480p extras, the PS3 would never upscale those extras. Can someone test it out?
Those extras stay in 480p, even after the update, I just checked it with the 480p trailer in the Special Features section of the UK Shoot 'em Up Blu-ray.

Download, installation and reboot were done in 7min (actually a couple of seconds less).

I just notice that the icons on the defaut XMB theme are now transperent as a bit glossy. New or it's just me noticing this very late ?

ymmv

Banned
badcrumble said:
Odd. I could've sworn there was one update that featured upscaling of non-HD video content on Blu-Ray discs.

The upscaling only worked on a specific sort of Blu-Ray disc, I forgot the exact details.

Edit:

Firmware 2.40:

- Upscaling of Blu-ray Disc (BDAV) video content is now supported

From http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/bdav.cfm :

BDAV

BDAV refers to either the transport stream format used for all Blu-ray content, or the plain format intended for home video with no interactivity.

The BDAV Container format is based on the standard MPEG-2 TS (transport stream) Both Blu-ray and HD DVD use transport streams, compared to DVD's program streams, to store video, audio, and other streams. This allows multiple video programs to be stored in the same file so they can be played back simultaneously, giving a Picture In Picture effect.

The BDAV disc format is the consumer oriented alternative to the BDMV discs made by professional Authoring houses for movie releases. Although early Blu-ray players were released with Firmware allowing playback of non-AACS encrypted content on BDMV discs, current Blu-ray specifications will result in that feature being removed, and BDAV discs being the only unencrypted Blu-ray format supported on players.

BDAV was designed in part to provide compatibility between AVCHD digital camcorders and Blu-ray players. It's comparable to the DVD formats used for standalone DVD recorders, DVD+VR and DVD-VR because it's designed primarily for authoring simple Video/Audio content with no menus.

Broseybrose

carlosp said:
something is wrong with your router. I usually have the same speed with my laptop as well as ps3. From the EU servers it is almost always about 1-1.5 MB/sec. From the us it depends on the time i am downloading. Usually not much slower then that.
same here. id say the US PS3 servers give me about 750kbs over wifi.

Shins said:
I'm on wifi and it took under five minutes wifi isn't the problem your peasant Internet is :lol

My PS3 is wired and downloads files slower than my 360, my PC, and my Macbook do. It's not a huge deal to me since it's not like I'm getting updates every week, but some of us definitely get very slow downloads on the PS3 and it isn't because of our internet. Maybe their load balancer is connecting us to different physical servers than you are getting connected to.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
In the midst of all this crying about the update does anyone actually know whats in this update? I did it last night, and cant see anything different.....

I've noticed that in the past (I haven't tried with this update) that the In-game XMB would load differently depending on the game. I only assume that some games are more resource heavy thus slowing down the XMB depending on title. I think it loaded pretty slow in inFamous for example. So speeding up the XMB and Trophies is great, IMO.

borsdy said:
Thank you for your contribution to this firmware discussion.
You are welcome.

Argyle said:
Out of curiosity, do you have any idea why PlayOn is causing so many issues for you? I just downloaded it and am on my free trial, and it seemed pretty much plug and play for me...

I'm not sure, to be honest. I think it may be changes Hulu makes changes on their end to stifle players like PlayOn and recently TVersity. PlayOn updates usually fix the playback issues, but it seems Hulu makes constant changes that require PlayOn to rework some aspect of their code.

Cruzader said:
I agree and disagree. PS3s browser is no longer just a bullet point. every modern machine has one even DS/wii. MS are the only ones with their head up thei ass about it. And just bc it dont work on your fav site, doesnt mean its useless since 95% of the sites out there work. obviously its not perfect but gets the job done.

Not just a bullet point? What status is their flash plugin in? Flash 10 came out last October. Why is their flash plugin still shit? If the browser was a priority, don't you think they would be addressing the horrendous flash player quality in their browser? How about the crash bugs with streaming media?

Come on now. I get the whole 'defend everything Sony does act'...but their browser support is complete shit.

95% of sites (far more actually) are fucking worthless to me. I want the ones with media. And Sony's browser can't handle them.

Boss Man

Seems a good place to ask:

I have the original 60GB PS3 with hardware PS2 BC, but just for the sake of knowledge...where do PS3's stand right now in terms of PS2 BC? I've been told that they do software BC right now, but I was also under the impression that this was not the case. Anyone care to explain?

StateofMind said:
Seems a good place to ask:

I have the original 60GB PS3 with hardware PS2 BC, but just for the sake of knowledge...where do PS3's stand right now in terms of PS2 BC? I've been told that they do software BC right now, but I was also under the impression that this was not the case. Anyone care to explain?

Some older 80GB models did BC in software. That feature was eliminated over a year ago, starting with the 40GB model.

androvsky

devildog820 said:
Some older 80GB models did BC in software. That feature was eliminated over a year ago, starting with the 40GB model.

No, they didn't. They never did. No PS3 has ever handled PS2 BC entirely in software. What you're thinking of is the models that only included a PS2 Graphics Synthesizer chip, and emulated the PS2's Emotion Engine CPU in software. Launch PS3s included the EE with an integrated GS.

AwRy108

gregor7777 said:
Not just a bullet point? What status is their flash plugin in? Flash 10 came out last October. Why is their flash plugin still shit? If the browser was a priority, don't you think they would be addressing the horrendous flash player quality in their browser? How about the crash bugs with streaming media?

Come on now. I get the whole 'defend everything Sony does act'...but their browser support is complete shit.

95% of sites (far more actually) are fucking worthless to me. I want the ones with media. And Sony's browser can't handle them.

YouTube, GameTrailers (via Flash), Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, Google Reader, Hulu, etc. all work fine, which tells me that the Flash isn't horrendously out-dated. Sure, it would be great to have Flash 10 and more plugins, but it's not like the PS3 browser is useless like the PSP's. I actually don't mind using the PS3 browser, whereas I use to dread it, and I still dread the PSP's.

BTW, I'm not defending Sony, just offering my thoughts on the matter. Sony's got a lot bigger fish to fry. For example: why is there only one Fast Forward / Rewind speed for audio files? Ever try skipping to the middle of the 1up Show (.mp3 format) on your PS3? No? Well, don't bother: it takes about 10 minutes...

Cruzader

Banned
Right defend everything Sony, yup thats my job alright. lulz

Like I said a web browser is not a "bullet point" b/c every modern device has it, its become a standard feature. If the PS3 was the only gaming device with one, it would be considered a "bullet point".(at least I see it this way) Also adobe is the only company? with the rights of Flash 10. Once that came out, Sony had the opportunity to update the old browser's flash plugin to Flash 9. I think the bigger issue is not the flash plugin per say, more like an outdated web browser(netfront). I would rather sony work w/google and port chrome to ps3.

PS3 is a gaming console first hand so i dont get why you would think making constant updates to the browser would come before adding more gaming features/improving other areas.(browser is not a priority) I actually had and still have issues with it but the last browser update fixed all the crashes I used to get so its very decent now. Im pretty sure the browser crashes due to running out of memory or storing too much cache data when streaming media. Hopefully thats fixed in the future but im sure it wasnt meant for heavy streaming of data(hulu), more like Youtube sort of stuff.

Dementia

Oooh, I just noticed something in the update that had really bothered me before. When you are reading a message from one of your friends and go back, xmb will now go back to the message list instead of your friends list.

Cruzader

Banned
Dementia said:
Oooh, I just noticed something in the update that had really bothered me before. When you are reading a message from one of your friends and go back, xmb will now go back to the message list instead of your friends list.
Nice! thanx for the heads up. small fix but great non the less.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
AwRy108 said:
why is there only one Fast Forward / Rewind speed for audio files? Ever try skipping to the middle of the 1up Show (.mp3 format) on your PS3? No? Well, don't bother: it takes about 10 minutes...
It's like they need to merge the people who work on the PSP and the PS3 and put them together. I can fast forward a song on the PSP extremely fast, but on the PS3 it uses 2x or 3x speed or something, it's so annoying.

I've watched Hulu on the PS3, it's okay, for the most part I think it had to do with my own connection (3Mbits) but some of the clips played fine. However, Flash is pretty much out of Sony's hands since they don't develop it. Not to mention that I'm not even sure what version they're using since there's no 64-bit Flash? It's probably a 32-bit PPC version running in some kind of "compatibility" mode on the 64-bit Cell.

Is this new?

Before if I left my Rock Band drums or guitar dongle plugged in, booted up the PS3 and used my DS3, the DS3 would get controller number 3.

Now it defaults to 1 even if there are instruments plugged in. Not earth shattering but pretty useful for me anyway :D

RotBot

pswii60 said:

I've noticed that using the fullscreen button in flash videos would often cause stuttering, but zooming in using R3 keeps things smooth. I haven't tried it with Hulu, but it's the case with giantbomb.

Jtrizzy

gregor7777 said:

Fuck those assholes. Their product worked fine for me when it was a free beta, then I buy it for 40 fucking dollars and it doesn't work at all!!!!!! Fuck them grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Sorry if this has been mentioned but how comes I can log onto PSN without having to do the new update?

I thought you had to do the update before you can connect?

If this new?

Edit: It's been mentioned. Phew. :lol

pswii60

AwRy108 said:
YouTube, GameTrailers (via Flash), Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, Google Reader, Hulu, etc. all work fine, which tells me that the Flash isn't horrendously out-dated. Sure, it would be great to have Flash 10 and more plugins, but it's not like the PS3 browser is useless like the PSP's. I actually don't mind using the PS3 browser, whereas I use to dread it, and I still dread the PSP's.

BTW, I'm not defending Sony, just offering my thoughts on the matter. Sony's got a lot bigger fish to fry. For example: why is there only one Fast Forward / Rewind speed for audio files? Ever try skipping to the middle of the 1up Show (.mp3 format) on your PS3? No? Well, don't bother: it takes about 10 minutes...
No, not Hulu, that's what we're talking about.

Hulu is a jerky stuttery mess on anything over than the low-res mode. Compare it to your PC. Most flash is pretty poor in the PS3 browser.

Don't see why we can't highlight the fact we're unhappy about it without people getting defensive or assuming that by improving that they're going to skip on something else.

I'm not going to be using my PS3 to surf Neogaf, I've got a PC for that. It's media sites that I, and others, want to use the PS3 browser for - obviously because the PS3 is hooked up to the TV. And yet it's not optimised AT ALL for those sort of sites, and it's disappointing.

androvsky

Jtrizzy said:
Fuck those assholes. There product worked fine for me when it was a free beta, then I buy it for 40 fucking dollars and it doesn't work at all!!!!!! Fuck them grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Yes, they had a rough patch where Hulu was breaking almost every weekend, but it looks like it's been pretty stable for the last month or so. I can't be sure since I never bothered to buy it, but on a side note, they did reset the trial period this week for everyone to promote the new plugins. :)

Top Bottom