• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow

pswii60

androvsky said:
Yes, they had a rough patch where Hulu was breaking almost every weekend, but it looks like it's been pretty stable for the last month or so. I can't be sure since I never bothered to buy it, but on a side note, they did reset the trial period this week for everyone to promote the new plugins. :)
Yes, but you just know, at some point (probably when ABC come on board) that PlayOn will break for good. They'll encrypt the video or something equally special. Hulu doesn't like PlayOn and it's unlikely they're just going to sit around and not doing anything about it.

kuYuri

Katana_Strikes said:
Sorry if this has been mentioned but how comes I can log onto PSN without having to do the new update?

I thought you had to do the update before you can connect?

If this new?

Edit: It's been mentioned. Phew. :lol

It's not a mandatory update, so you can log unto the PSN.

androvsky

pswii60 said:
Yes, but you just know, at some point (probably when ABC come on board) that PlayOn will break for good. They'll encrypt the video or something equally special. Hulu doesn't like PlayOn and it's unlikely they're just going to sit around and not doing anything about it.

I'd like to see them break PlayOn from a purely technical standpoint. Since PlayOn apparently uses Internet Explorer to render Hulu's webpage and flash to decode the video, I'm not entirely sure how Hulu would be made to run on a web browser and not work with PlayOn. PlayOn already handles simple interactive ads apparently, and I think users would object to having to type in a captcha for every video they watch (and even then, there's automated ways around that).

And the funny thing is there's already a PlayOn plugin for ABC's streaming videos, apparently their website is easier to handle than Hulu.

AwRy108 said:
YouTube, GameTrailers (via Flash), Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, Google Reader, Hulu, etc. all work fine, which tells me that the Flash isn't horrendously out-dated. Sure, it would be great to have Flash 10 and more plugins, but it's not like the PS3 browser is useless like the PSP's. I actually don't mind using the PS3 browser, whereas I use to dread it, and I still dread the PSP's.

BTW, I'm not defending Sony, just offering my thoughts on the matter. Sony's got a lot bigger fish to fry. For example: why is there only one Fast Forward / Rewind speed for audio files? Ever try skipping to the middle of the 1up Show (.mp3 format) on your PS3? No? Well, don't bother: it takes about 10 minutes...

Hulu DOES NOT work fine. That's the point we're discussing. I'm not sure you know what you're talking about, no offense..

androvsky said:
Yes, they had a rough patch where Hulu was breaking almost every weekend, but it looks like it's been pretty stable for the last month or so. I can't be sure since I never bothered to buy it, but on a side note, they did reset the trial period this week for everyone to promote the new plugins. :)

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. The cat and mouse game they're playing is fine, and probably nothing can be done about it, but I'm certainly not going to pay for it.

androvsky

gregor7777 said:
Hulu DOES NOT work fine. That's the point we're discussing. I'm not sure you know what you're talking about, no offense..

How are we defining "works fine"?

I used to agree that the PS3 web browser was useless for Hulu, but I tried it a few days ago to catch up on Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and it was surprisingly decent. Still pauses briefly for no good reason sometimes, some frame drops, but it didn't totally lock up the browser after a while like it used to. Quite watchable really, not cable TV quality by any means though. Seems to work better if you go straight to Hulu after starting the browser instead of wandering past there after a bunch of websurfing.

androvsky said:
How are we defining "works fine"?

I used to agree that the PS3 web browser was useless for Hulu, but I tried it a few days ago to catch up on Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and it was surprisingly decent. Still pauses briefly for no good reason sometimes, some frame drops, but it didn't totally lock up the browser after a while like it used to. Quite watchable really, not cable TV quality by any means though. Seems to work better if you go straight to Hulu after starting the browser instead of wandering past there after a bunch of websurfing.

Random lockups, massive stuttering in fullscreen, generally poor framerate. It's unusable.

Dante

gregor7777 said:
Random lockups, massive stuttering in fullscreen, generally poor framerate. It's unusable.

Sounds like a connection issue, I have none of those problems. I replaced my PS3 HD not sure if that affects it in anyway.

SamBishop

Banned
Cruzader said:
nope nor you save data.

No, you could before. You could even delete the installs, I believe. It's how I cleared up some space at the start of a game that was asking for it. Handy.

Dementia said:
Oooh, I just noticed something in the update that had really bothered me before. When you are reading a message from one of your friends and go back, xmb will now go back to the message list instead of your friends list.

Holy crap, this is actually a huge update for me. I get messaged quite a bit, and it was frustrating as hell keeping track of multiple messages from multiple (or sometimes even the same person), and having to dive all the way back in after every response was driving me insane. That's awesome.

androvsky

gregor7777 said:

Random lockups, yes. Generally poor framerate... well, I have an older PC, so I didn't really notice that until last week when I installed PlayOn for a nephew who has a monster quad-core PC. I was very sad when I saw how smooth Firefly looked on his machine. So I agree there, it's a mess.

As for fullscreen, are you hitting the fullscreen button on Hulu's page? That's pretty much broken, just zoom in by pressing R3 on the controller. It's annoying and requires fiddling around to get just the right zoom level, but it doesn't affect playback performance at all.

Oni Jazar

gregor7777 said:
Yeah, that's what I was referring to. The cat and mouse game they're playing is fine, and probably nothing can be done about it, but I'm certainly not going to pay for it.

PlayOn has been running great with out problems for a long time. I definitely have gotten more then my money's worth with Playon. Netflix, Hulu, Youtube all working excellent on my 2 PS3s and Xbox 360.

No futzing around with browsers.

gcubed

SamBishop said:
Holy crap, this is actually a huge update for me. I get messaged quite a bit, and it was frustrating as hell keeping track of multiple messages from multiple (or sometimes even the same person), and having to dive all the way back in after every response was driving me insane. That's awesome.

agreed, i hated that

jaydogg691 said:
I don't know if this is part of the new update, but for some reason the Microphone Level for Audio Device Settings is locked at 3. Mic Levels 1,2,4 and 5 are grayed out and can't be selected. I tried with both the official headset and the PS Eye. I don't think it's a huge problem.
It does not do this for me. After I updated last night I played some Killzone 2. I plugged in my Logitech headset and was able to use in-game XMB to check my settings. My microphone level was still set at 5 from last use. I can check the Eye tonight when I get home.

vazel

Banned
Dante said:
Sounds like a connection issue, I have none of those problems. I replaced my PS3 HD not sure if that affects it in anyway.
How are some people claiming hulu is smooth for them when even the firmware developers sounded grim about getting h.264 flash video to play without dropping frames? I tried over wifi and ethernet. I find it ridiculous that a machine that can play Blu-rays can't play hulu smoothly.

Playback of H.264 content from within Flash is handled through an independent process on an SPU. Processing different aspects of the web browser independently has the characteristic of making it easier to improve frame rates. While I’d stop short of saying we will eliminate all dropped frames in the future, this can be considered a strength unique to the PS3.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13352207&postcount=1703

vazel said:
How are some people claiming hulu is smooth for them when even the firmware developers sounded grim about getting h.264 flash video to play without dropping frames? I tried over wifi and ethernet. I find it ridiculous that a machine that can play Blu-rays can't play hulu smoothly.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13352207&postcount=1703

Hulu and Fancast run great for me in 480i/p and has been that way for a while, I think when they converted to full screen.

It's not a connection issue. PlayOn works fine on the PS3 for me when I was testing, and Hulu works fine on my PC.

As noted, the Flash implementation on the PS3 web browser is a mess. In a lot of ways. Going fullscreen on Hulu humbles the PS3 browser. That's fairly basic functionality from an end user's standpoint.

Oni Jazar said:
PlayOn has been running great with out problems for a long time. I definitely have gotten more then my money's worth with Playon. Netflix, Hulu, Youtube all working excellent on my 2 PS3s and Xbox 360.

No futzing around with browsers.

I haven't played with it since February/March, and there was most certainly problems then that required updating the program. But if it's running fine now I may take a look back into it.

EDIT: I see TVersity now has a Hulu implementation. Has anyone tried it? You have to buy the Pro license.

vazel

Banned
480p hulu is so noticeably choppy my ps3 that i can't imagine anyone having a threshold where they don't notice the choppyness. So if you say hulu plays fine for you then okay I'll believe. I'm not even going to try to figure out why some ps3s would play hulu fine I give up on this hulu shit it's caused me too much anxiety.

Edit: Nah on second thought I can see how some would not notice the choppyness. But whatever I give up on this if you're happy with hulu's performance on ps3 then good for you.

Dante

Oh! I don't play 480p on Hulu...Maybe that's the disconnect I'm having with you guys. I just play full screen at the regular resolution...To be honest I never tried the 480p

androvsky

gregor7777 said:
It's not a connection issue. PlayOn works fine on the PS3 for me when I was testing, and Hulu works fine on my PC.

As noted, the Flash implementation on the PS3 web browser is a mess. In a lot of ways. Going fullscreen on Hulu humbles the PS3 browser. That's fairly basic functionality from an end user's standpoint.

I haven't played with it since February/March, and there was most certainly problems then that required updating the program. But if it's running fine now I may take a look back into it.

EDIT: I see TVersity now has a Hulu implementation. Has anyone tried it? You have to buy the Pro license.

I haven't tried it, but you don't have to actually buy the license to try it. However, my understanding is you can't browse videos through the XMB; it'll only play what you've added to your Hulu queue. Also, the way it transcodes the video ends up playing the audio through the computer it's running on, so you have to remember to mute it... that, and the system requirements are oddly high.

Cruzader

Banned
I think the longer the content you watch on Hulu, the more stuttering and issues you will have. i tried watching "kings" pilot episode(over an hour long) and it never finished streaming since i got an out of memory error. We all know clicking full screan worsen things too. all other sites work fine for me tho. I guess the hulu site needs a a revamp since its too flash heavy which the ps3 cant handle that well or wait for a browser update. i barely go to hulu for that reason.

pswii60

vazel said:
480p hulu is so noticeably choppy my ps3 that i can't imagine anyone having a threshold where they don't notice the choppyness. So if you say hulu plays fine for you then okay I'll believe. I'm not even going to try to figure out why some ps3s would play hulu fine I give up on this hulu shit it's caused me too much anxiety.

Edit: Nah on second thought I can see how some would not notice the choppyness. But whatever I give up on this if you're happy with hulu's performance on ps3 then good for you.
I'm with you on this entire post, my sentiments exactly.

pswii60

androvsky said:
I haven't tried it, but you don't have to actually buy the license to try it. However, my understanding is you can't browse videos through the XMB; it'll only play what you've added to your Hulu queue. Also, the way it transcodes the video ends up playing the audio through the computer it's running on, so you have to remember to mute it... that, and the system requirements are oddly high.
I just can't get TVeristy/Hulu to work despite my PC being specced up. PlayOn works fine every time though.

androvsky

If you're actually going to stream video with the PS3's web browser, don't hit the full-screen button on the website. Hit R3 and use L2 and R2 to zoom in and out, pan with the right stick.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Hulu is not unusable, I use it there for it is ;)

It is choppy, but watchable. The lockups are not random for me, if you try to pause a show the buffer will fill and lock, at least for me. I don't ever try to pause it anymore, just click back in time and let it repeat itself if you need to go pee.

I canceled my cable, so I take what I can get, which is Netflix and Hulu mostly.

patsu

Cruzader said:
I think the longer the content you watch on Hulu, the more stuttering and issues you will have. i tried watching "kings" pilot episode(over an hour long) and it never finished streaming since i got an out of memory error. We all know clicking full screan worsen things too. all other sites work fine for me tho. I guess the hulu site needs a a revamp since its too flash heavy which the ps3 cant handle that well or wait for a browser update. i barely go to hulu for that reason.

It depends on your network.

In my home network, the videos are noticeably more choppy and even with some major artifacts occassionally. It actually smoothened out towards the middle. I had to leave for work after that.

In my office network, the 480p videos play fine (better than my SD res home version). It locked up once after my 2nd TV episodes, but I'm on my 4th now.

EDIT: 4th video just ended. Started a 5th one. Each video is about 45 minutes, all full-screen playback.

If there are playback issues on a home network, it could be due to exception handling/retry bugs at the network level (e.g., retries causing memory leaks, race conditions, etc.).

I have added hulu to my bookmarks and will be able to enjoy 480p movies from my office now. Hopefully Sony continues to improve it.

Raistlin

XonoX said:
There has been a couple of interviews with the SCEJ firmware guys quite a while ago, but that was all about coding SACD and such stuff.

I'd love to read a regular catchup with these guys to see what they are up to (non secretive stuff of course).

Does anyone know when deep color support was added, or has that always been there?

Liabe Brave said:
It does not do this for me. After I updated last night I played some Killzone 2. I plugged in my Logitech headset and was able to use in-game XMB to check my settings. My microphone level was still set at 5 from last use. I can check the Eye tonight when I get home.

I just noticed everything but 3 is grayed out on mine as well.

Just tried Hulu with TVersity.

Works well once you have it set up with your queue full, or by clicking on a feed and adding it manually for a certain show or whatever.

I seem to remember PlayOn being able to browse content in the XMB, which is sorely missed. Hopefully TVersity adds it.

Quality seems better than PlayOn. I clicked an option in my profile to always default to 480p, so perhaps I was getting the lower res version of the videos before.

It's functional. Hopefully they add features with newer versions. It's pretty barebones now. It still shits on watching Hulu in the PS3 browser, so I'll take it.

KillJade

Banned
I happened across a post on a random internet message board a few weeks back, concerning the locking up of the PS3 browser.

The guy posted that by turning off Javascript in the options, the browser stopped freezing completely.

I was skeptical, but figured it was worth a shot.

I use the browser on a daily basis for surfing the web, and can state matter-of-factly that I have not had one freeze since I made the change.

So you guys might want to try that.

KillJade said:
I happened across a post on a random internet message board a few weeks back, concerning the locking up of the PS3 browser.

The guy posted that by turning off Javascript in the options, the browser stopped freezing completely.

I was skeptical, but figured it was worth a shot.

I use the browser on a daily basis for surfing the web, and can state matter-of-factly that I have not had one freeze since I made the change.

So you guys might want to try that.

Back to the days of full page refreshes for Sony. :lol

Cruzader

Banned
Ok another stealth improvemet. XMB chat's limit raised to 66 characters. you have to press triangle(space) to type more.

Liabe Brave said:
Well, I did just check. The PS Eye has everything but "3" greyed out (though it will let you set another number, there doesn't seem to be any effect). But my Logitech USB headset and my Jabra Bluetooth earpiece both allow free setting of the mic volume. Since someone else reported the official Bluetooth earpiece was also restricted, maybe it's just with Sony audio products?

This is mildly interesting, to me at least.

Access to my external 1TB USB HDD seems faster, when loading up a movie and pressing square the thumbnails load really fast.

Another thing is that I have this video that in the past has ALWAYS shown as a Corrupted File. Interestingly enough however, is that it would play fine once pressed.

Well now after the update it doesn't show up as corrupted, it is titled just fine! Plays fine too.

Hoping others were fixed, I tried another video that I've had issues with but it hadn't changed. Video but no audio.

JodyAnthony said:
i've never had a firmware update come any faster than 15 minutes for the download over wifi. actually any downloads on PS3 over wifi are slow as hell. Takes a couple hours to download every episode of qore, for example.

for comparison, i can download say a 1gb demo on my 360 over wifi, or on my laptop, in about 10 minutes
some PS3's wifi cards really suck. try it wired and i bet it fucking blazes.

koam

Tisan said:
2.80 isn't forcd, I could still access the PSN store, and my friends list after checking for an update, while on 2.76.

Updating to 2.80 now.

Good, i won't bother then.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Cruzader said:
Ok another stealth improvemet. XMB chat's limit raised to 66 characters. you have to press triangle(space) to type more.

Just came to post this. Awesome.

xBerserker said:
One update I'd like to see.

Lock Save Data to a PSN ID instead of a hardware based .....

Or at least lock to a hard drive, not an individual PS3. Christ that's annoying if your console dies....

patsu

Cruzader said:

How ? I use a keyboard. The cursor stops at 30 characters.

Pressing ^ simply brings up the keypad. It does nothing to increase the message length for me :(

EDIT: Hey efertlis, I still owe you a DiNovo. Haven't forgotten. Just **()*$( swarmed.

Cruzader

Banned
patsu said:

Pressing ^ simply brings up the keypad. It does nothing to increase the message length for me :(

EDIT: Hey efertlis, I still owe you a DiNovo. Haven't forgotten. Just **()*$( swarmed.
while the keyboard is on press triangle to skip over and type more. I f you are using a 3rd party chat pad try just pressing space bar or something. I dont have one so i cant test it out.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
patsu said:

Hmmmm - in a room with Bob and Greg - and me and Greg have the firmware and can type 64 characters (I believe) and Bob hasn't updated and is still limited to the 32 characters. Have you updated your firmware yet?

Thanks, even if the DiNovo doesn't work out I appreciate the thought and effort!

Edit - also - if you didn't create the room - maybe whoever did hasn't updated their firmware yet....not sure if that matters. I didn't have to recreate my room to get it to work for us.

androvsky

I now have official and final word on whether or not the PS3's browser handled Hulu well enough: It did. How do I know? Hulu now blocks the PS3's browser. Could someone with 2.76 verify that something very odd didn't happen with the user-agent string?

Instead of fixing the problem with ad revenue not being worth enough by getting more people to watch Hulu, they just send people to places where ad revenue is higher. As nice as Hulu is, they do seem to be going to a lot of effort to get me to dislike the service.

Top Bottom