• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow

Crisis

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Microsoft isn't even the publisher any more. It could simply be that sales are much higher for the 360 and EA is pandering to that base.

If it doesn't ship day-and-date it could be one of those things where EA is trying to reduce piracy but shipping the PC version later than the console version.

I get this feeling that you posted that in the wrong thread.

patsu

Wollan said:
I wonder how far they can tweak this data.

They could have various forms of data attached to messages, a system standard (not just limited to invites and game launching). Maybe we can send each other complete image/controller calibrations for games we love and more.

I thought the Develope magazine mentioned that the format is based on XML ? If so, it'd be easily extensible. The Home game launching uses it to specify session preferences (e.g., number of players, maps, game type, ...)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Crisis said:
I get this feeling that you posted that in the wrong thread.
Or maybe Microsoft is publishing the firmware update? dun dun duuun

patsu said:
I thought the Develope magazine mentioned that the format is based on XML ? If so, it'd be easily extensible. The Home game launching uses it to specify session preferences (e.g., number of players, maps, game type, ...)

That's excellent, it could even be used to include scripted replays of in-game events (send somebody a spectacular crash, explosion, or that killer golf shot).

androvsky

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Hmm, managed copy supports portable devices as long as they support WMV with DRM. Maybe the update will support loading up Zunes with managed copies of Blu-Ray movies!

:lol :lol :lol

:( :( :(

Well, since the PS3 is the only current blu-ray player with even the slightest chance of supporting managed copy, that will probably happen. Managed copy allows for other DRM schemes, they just have to apply to have them added (Apple conspicuously has not applied for iTunes support). I'm hoping whatever Sony uses for PSN video will be an option so the PSP can finally get decent digital copy support.

pswii60

Fersis said:
Or maybe Microsoft is publishing the firmware update? dun dun duuun
Well you'd finally get all the features you want but the XMB would lock up all the fucking time during a game.

androvsky said:
Well, since the PS3 is the only current blu-ray player with even the slightest chance of supporting managed copy, that will probably happen. Managed copy allows for other DRM schemes, they just have to apply to have them added (Apple conspicuously has not applied for iTunes support). I'm hoping whatever Sony uses for PSN video will be an option so the PSP can finally get decent digital copy support.

I liked Sony's original idea where they would include a pre-downrezzed movie on the disc for portables, that way they would only need to apply the DRM before copying to an approved device. It was going to be way faster than waiting an hour or more for the movie to be copied and converted.

DrXym

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Hmm, managed copy supports portable devices as long as they support WMV with DRM. Maybe the update will support loading up Zunes with managed copies of Blu-Ray movies!

:lol :lol :lol

:( :( :(

Managed copy is in general a complete and total waste of time. It makes an encrypted copy of the movie, it doesn't transcode it into a smaller file. So if you make a managed copy of The Godfather, the copy is 45Gb big. So kiss your PS3's HDD space goodbye. It's not like a portable copy where the disk contains 1gb file for Zune / PSP / iPod and the only way I see portable and managed copy crossing is if happens to be a portable copy of the movie on the disk too and MC supports it, or some players gain transcoding ability.

The time where MC might be useful is for people with video / streaming servers with the necessary multi-Tb storage to take advantage of the feature. For everyone else it's a useless feature. I'd add that if you did want to take a copy of the movie, you can already do it through AnyDVD and probably will continue to be able to until BD+ becomes more prevalent.

patsu

beermonkey@tehbias said:
That's excellent, it could even be used to include scripted replays of in-game events (send somebody a spectacular crash, explosion, or that killer golf shot).

Err... that would be dangerous.

Home could be very interesting if Sony opens it up for user-generated content. But it looks like they are too s-l-o-w in approving the internal proposal, or too scared to do so.

infinityBCRT said:
cross game voice chat confirmed! :lol

I believe cross game voicechat would be something that is not game specific and be therefore directly available with the update. Cross game invite/launch is game specific and would only be possible for games that support it.

alex1893

Adam Prime said:
haha this bothers me too. Whenever I am playing PSP I always hit the home key to check the time while playing a game. It's natural instinct for me to want to do the same thing on PS3 and it doesn't work right away. :lol
crazy... I noticed this but it never bothered me. With pressing the home button I want to see the status of the battery, I never used it to check the time so it's fine for me. :D They should optimize it so that there's no overlapping, just the battery state to see, then the time... or to get along with all people: make it customizable to switch between "show battery, then time" or the other way round.

Slaylock

While we're talking about firmware, when I exit and restart a Blu-ray movie, it doesn't continue from the point I exited. I remember this working before, but now it just restarts the movie (or goes to the main menu).

Does this work for anyone else?

epmode

Slaylock said:
While we're talking about firmware, when I exit and restart a Blu-ray movie, it doesn't continue from the point I exited. I remember this working before, but now it just restarts the movie (or goes to the main menu).

I'm pretty sure that this is on a title by title basis, kind of like how some discs allow you to skip the stupidly long legal warnings but most don't. Blame the jackasses who authored the thing.

DrXym

Slaylock said:

It only works on HDMV movies - those which use the DVD-like menu navigation system. Most BDs these days use BD-J (Java apps) for their UI and there is no spec for bookmarking positions on disks.

It shouldn't be hard for BD-J disks to save their "last played" position in storage at the start of every chapter, and to honour it when they restart, but none do. It really should be covered by a spec that is mandatory for new disks to implement.

fatty

I'd be happy if they'd finally make it where the Madcatz arcade sticks are backwards compatible with PS2 games.

koam

Ugh another 20 minute wait before i can download some songs and play rockband. I hate these forced updates they suck shit (yes they are forced, i can never enter the store without updating).

koam said:
Ugh another 20 minute wait before i can download some songs and play rockband. I hate these forced updates they suck shit (yes they are forced, i can never enter the store without updating).
Jesus, what kind of internet are you on? Most firmware updates take less than a minute or two to download and maybe 3-5 to install. I'm on Comcast cable internet with a 40GB SKU.

jonabbey

No_Style said:
Why would a software feature be removed from the PS3 Slim? There's no special "Linux" chip on a PS3.

Because any PS3 that was purchased to run Linux is a PS3 that Sony is not realizing game or video sales for. Sony has essentially been subsidizing the cost of PS3s sold for Linux with the game and video sales that the non-Linux PS3s have been realizing.

It won't change the unit cost of the system, Sony is just trying to get rid of the free riders.. and possibly support costs for the virtualization enviroment that OtherOS runs under.

Assuming all this is true, of course.

epmode

xenorevlis said:
Most firmware updates take less than a minute or two to download
Nowhere near that on my system. The wireless is garbage on my launch 60GB. It's the only computer in my house with this problem.

Oni Jazar

Slaylock said:

Only works on movies that don't have BD-J menus. If you see a loading animation when you put in the disc then it will not support resume. :(

androvsky

DrXym said:
Managed copy is in general a complete and total waste of time. It makes an encrypted copy of the movie, it doesn't transcode it into a smaller file. So if you make a managed copy of The Godfather, the copy is 45Gb big. So kiss your PS3's HDD space goodbye. It's not like a portable copy where the disk contains 1gb file for Zune / PSP / iPod and the only way I see portable and managed copy crossing is if happens to be a portable copy of the movie on the disk too and MC supports it, or some players gain transcoding ability.

The time where MC might be useful is for people with video / streaming servers with the necessary multi-Tb storage to take advantage of the feature. For everyone else it's a useless feature. I'd add that if you did want to take a copy of the movie, you can already do it through AnyDVD and probably will continue to be able to until BD+ becomes more prevalent.

There's a reason most current players can't support managed copy, transcoding looks like a requirement (full requirements here). 415k is a required copy resolution, as is full blu-ray resolution. I checked and Sony's Magic Gate on Memory Sticks is an allowed (possibly required) output, so the PSP is probably covered (page 143).

jonabbey said:
Because any PS3 that was purchased to run Linux is a PS3 that Sony is not realizing game or video sales for. Sony has essentially been subsidizing the cost of PS3s sold for Linux with the game and video sales that the non-Linux PS3s have been realizing.

It won't change the unit cost of the system, Sony is just trying to get rid of the free riders.. and possibly support costs for the virtualization enviroment that OtherOS runs under.

I don't think there are hordes of people buying PS3s for Linux.

Jim

epmode said:
Nowhere near that on my system. The wireless is garbage on my launch 60GB. It's the only computer in my house with this problem.

Many of the latest updates have been tiny, incremental patches, not full fw downloads.

jonabbey

badcrumble said:
I don't think there are hordes of people buying PS3s for Linux.

There were a good number at the launch, for research and computation purposes. These days commodity PCs with high end programmable GPUs are taking the place of PS3s running Linux for cheap gigaflops.

I was just hypothesizing anyway. Who knows why Sony ever does the things it does any more?

Wollan

DenogginizerOS said:
So, you are saying IW is going to exclude this yet-to-be-named feature in MW2? Is it a feature that is present in the X360 version?
Just joking about their COD4 support.

theBishop

Banned
jonabbey said:

Any PS3 that was "purchased for linux" is likely purchased for CELL development, which means more PS3 game support.

jonabbey

theBishop said:
Any PS3 that was "purchased for linux" is likely purchased for CELL development, which means more PS3 game support.

We have some scientific researchers in the building here who bought the PS3 for Cell development, but not for PS3 games.. they were doing data crunching with them.

Again, I'm not claiming that any significant number of people are doing this, compared to the PS3's sales.. Sony has more to worry about PS3 owners who do nothing more than watch lower margin Blu-Ray movies than they do from the Linux folk.

oneHeero

Wollan said:
Just joking about their COD4 support.
Why are you joking? IW ignored ps3 in terms of support. Well at least they ended up finally fixing their party system. I remember when it was impossible to join parties. They never fixed the host problem, never added rumble, never added trophies(dont care bout that). For a game that sold so much and even on the ps3, you'd think they'd provide more support. Its a damn shame, glad that IW never gets mentioned in top dev/publishers/etc topics.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Some games already have that, sure it's not across all games but methinks that's as far as Sony'll push it.
Pretty much. Ghostbusters and MLB 09 the Show supports it, and a few games support it via their own software.

oneHeero said:
Why are you joking? IW ignored ps3 in terms of support. Well at least they ended up finally fixing their party system. I remember when it was impossible to join parties. They never fixed the host problem, never added rumble, never added trophies(dont care bout that). For a game that sold so much and even on the ps3, you'd think they'd provide more support. Its a damn shame, glad that IW never gets mentioned in top dev/publishers/etc topics.

just because sony released the dualshock 3 and trophies late to the party doesn't mean the devs have to go back and patch them.
if anything, blame sony for not getting their stuff straight right from the start (who can blame them really, coming from a controller lawsuit and a generation with little to non-existent online gaming).
complain all you want about broken party sytems, connection issues and whatnot, bugs etc., but blaming IW for not putting trophies and rumble is silly to me.

Cruzader

Banned
Roxas said:
I'll throw my hat into the ring for some kind of in-game screenshot thingy..

Im pretty sure that feature is already on the PS3. Only problem is support from devs. There are a few but not many. Also PS3 lacks a "screen shot button" so the feature is useless.

CHRP718 said:
More firmware updates is fine with me :D
Another incremental update to the get things ready for 3.00 :D :D
No reason to expect anything special from 3.00 except for a bunch of made up rumors from people who don't understand how Sony is handling versioning. 2.00 was a blip on the radar when it came to user-end features.

I'd like to see Blutooth printer support. I have a nice Canon printer with blutooth that I can use with any computer I have from anywhere in the house but the PS3 requires me to connect it via USB. No Thanks.

VegaShinra

badcrumble said:
No reason to expect anything special from 3.00 except for a bunch of made up rumors from people who don't understand how Sony is handling versioning. 2.00 was a blip on the radar when it came to user-end features.
Exactly. Didn't Sony say something like the numbers mean nothing to them? Just because it's 2.00 or 3.00 doesn't mean it'll me a major announcement.

vag 2.0

yeah man fuck sony for supporting their software with regular feature and performance updates

they should do something productive like rereleasing their entire back catalogue with trophies so i can make numbers go up wont that be fun

*adjusts khaki shorts*

Puck

Banned
plzfixtheclock plzfixtheclock

I haven't bothered resynching the clock with the server after it got out a whack a few months ago, i installed a nice LED clock next to my TV :(

oneHeero said:

Out of curiosity what 3rd party developers went back and added trophy and rumble support? Criterion?

Top Bottom