• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Felix Lighter said:
Out of curiosity what 3rd party developers went back and added trophy and rumble support? Criterion?
It was actually quite a huge list. I think 25 or so titles had been patched or ready for rumble the day the Dualshock came out.

Oni Jazar

I hope they completely revamp the trophy sync process. It can take 5 minutes to compare trophies with people and sometimes it just quits and gives an error.

magus

Oni Jazar said:
I hope they completely revamp the trophy sync process. It can take 5 minutes to compare trophies with people and sometimes it just quits and gives an error.

5 minutes? It's never taken longer than 5 seconds for me.

Felix Lighter said:
Out of curiosity what 3rd party developers went back and added trophy and rumble support? Criterion?
3rd party games that I can remember off the top of my head:

Battlefield: Bad Company
FIFA 2009
Mercenaries 2

There's probably more but I can't remember at the moment. Hell, I think even those games were released after COD4...

Oni Jazar

magus said:
5 minutes? It's never taken longer than 5 seconds for me.

I should record it sometime. Maybe it's because I have two PS3s and it needs to re-sync my total trophies but it can take a crazy amount of time.

Loudninja

Oni Jazar said:

:lol Really it only takes a few second for me.

dwin45

Oni Jazar said:
If it's taking that long the problem is on your end somewhere.

CHRP718

Banned
panda21 said:
i want an analog clock
white_psp_go_clock.jpg

DrXym

VegaShinra said:
Exactly. Didn't Sony say something like the numbers mean nothing to them? Just because it's 2.00 or 3.00 doesn't mean it'll me a major announcement.

Usual versioning practice (and I believe Sony does follow this is)

A major version bump for major system changes. These changes may not necessarily visible but are code rewrites or new frameworks for future functionality.
A minor version bump for significant subsystem changes, e.g. new video functionality
A minor point version bump for bug fixes / compatibility issues

Just because FW jumps from 2.80 to 3.0 and not much appears to have changed doesn't mean nothing major has underneath the covers.

RavenFox

Banned
Ok I'm confused. Wollans upset an Infinity Ward about something. CODMW2 does not have rumble or trophies 0_0? Or is it it missing one of them? Say it ain't so GAF.

*sits quietly waiting for reply with hands clasp*

androvsky

RavenFox said:
Ok I'm confused. Wollans upset an Infinity Ward about something. CODMW2 does not have rumble or trophies 0_0? Or is it it missing one of them? Say it ain't so GAF.

He's still bitter about COD 4.

lupinko

RavenFox said:

He's talking about COD4MW1 and he was joking about it I think, but others in this thread are not joking about their displeasure with IW not doing anything with PS3 COD4MW1.

kassatsu

Banned
RavenFox said:

He was talking about COD4

DrXym said:
Usual versioning practice (and I believe Sony does follow this is)

A major version bump for major system changes. These changes may not necessarily visible but are code rewrites or new frameworks for future functionality.
A minor version bump for significant subsystem changes, e.g. new video functionality
A minor point version bump for bug fixes / compatibility issues

Just because FW jumps from 2.80 to 3.0 and not much appears to have changed doesn't mean nothing major has underneath the covers.
But they don't follow it, that's the thing. And they're NOT going to jump from 2.80 to 3.00.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
oneHeero said:
Why are you joking? IW ignored ps3 in terms of support. Well at least they ended up finally fixing their party system. I remember when it was impossible to join parties. They never fixed the host problem, never added rumble, never added trophies(dont care bout that). For a game that sold so much and even on the ps3, you'd think they'd provide more support. Its a damn shame, glad that IW never gets mentioned in top dev/publishers/etc topics.
I remember when they had this thing where you could mail them all kinds of questions about the game and whatnot and they would choose the best and answer them. They ended up choosing questions that had nothing to do with the game and instead answered what everyone's favorite food was.

Everyone was pissed and the charlieoscardelta forums always had console wars between ps3/360. :lol

paparazzo

Felix Lighter said:
Actually, Burnout Paradise shipped with rumble, iirc. Seems like COD4 ought to have shipped with it as well since the DS3 launched in Japan that same month it came out. Still not as bad as Namco, who released the PS3 version of SC4 without rumble, which was about four months after the DS3 released in NA.

No_Style

jonabbey said:
Because any PS3 that was purchased to run Linux is a PS3 that Sony is not realizing game or video sales for. Sony has essentially been subsidizing the cost of PS3s sold for Linux with the game and video sales that the non-Linux PS3s have been realizing.

It won't change the unit cost of the system, Sony is just trying to get rid of the free riders.. and possibly support costs for the virtualization enviroment that OtherOS runs under.

Assuming all this is true, of course.

I get why they would discontinue Linux support for the firmware, but how can you discontinue it for a specific console hardware revision? You would need multiple firmware streams just to do this which sounds ridiculous.

That's enough thought for this bogus "rumor".

DrXym said:

I wonder how much the OS footprint has changed through the past firmware releases.

borsdy

Banned
The Skater said:
Actually, Burnout Paradise shipped with rumble, iirc. Seems like COD4 ought to have shipped with it as well since the DS3 launched in Japan that same month it came out. Still not as bad as Namco, who released the PS3 version of SC4 without rumble, which was about four months after the DS3 released in NA.
Bad example, even the 360 version didn't have vibration. Still though... IW should have given CoD4 ps3 rumble and/or trophies, it wasn't an out-of-the-question request during that time period.

Faster in-game XMB is huge. No complaints there.

And this thread is seriously devoid of GIFs for a PS3 firmware update anticipation thread!

iqvwbd.gif

No_Style said:
I get why they would discontinue Linux support for the firmware, but how can you discontinue it for a specific console hardware revision? You would need multiple firmware streams just to do this which sounds ridiculous.
not necessarily, you can detect hardware and have the firmware act accordingly, which i believe is the way it handles the systems with full, partial, and no ps2 emulation

IF somehow they put in full on XMB voice chat, they had better locked that shit down for SoCOM, it would ruin it. I think it;s goinf to be XMB youtube recording, so you can record yourself navigating the XMB, awesome

SRG01

No_Style said:

Well, if I were to put my two cents in, it would probably have something to do with a Cell revision to get rid of the Hypervisor. That would be one reason to remove OtherOS support -- since Hypervisor governs it, among other things. However, removing the Hypervisor would open up the PS3 to a lot of exploits since it is very effective in preventing "attacks" on the overall system.

JoJo13

Banned
chubigans said:
That's a good point. My guess: someone tipped him off for the firmware 2.8 update, and he's banking on that to create a phony "insider" persona.

Yeah, the part about the PS3 slim not being finished is bullshit too. I'm sure the design has been finalized for a long time.

No_Style

badcrumble said:
not necessarily, you can detect hardware and have the firmware act accordingly, which i believe is the way it handles the systems with full, partial, and no ps2 emulation

True, but it just seems silly. It's like disabling the Web Browser for the Slim when all the vital hardware pieces are virtually unchanged.

It would make sense if it was like SRG01 said though.

Anyways, I look forward to a faster XMB. :D

Facism

unlock those fucking saves, or at least bind them to PSN id instead of console. Not as if every console this gen is a unbreakable fortress of dependancy. i care about my saves.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Id like a more stable browser... you know having to cold reset my PS3 every time i log into GAF is awful.
(Tough disabling javascripts helps)

Oni Jazar

dwin45 said:
If it's taking that long the problem is on your end somewhere.

How? I don't have any problems downloading files. No problems with online play. It would be a weird problem to have on "my end".

witness

Facism said:
unlock those fucking saves, or at least bind them to PSN id instead of console. Not as if every console this gen is a unbreakable fortress of dependancy. i care about my saves.

This 1000x. I'm sending my system to sony in couple of weeks because of a dead ethernet adapter and the idea of losing my saves sucks.

Facism

witness said:
This 1000x. I'm sending my system to sony in couple of weeks because of a dead ethernet adapter and the idea of losing my saves sucks.

Seriously, whoever had the bright idea of locking saves to hardware can go drown in a pit of cocks. Bloody trophies :/

Agent X

Gold Member
Facism said:

I agree with this. When my PS3 broke a few months ago, I especially lamented the loss of my Street Fighter IV progress. Although I received my replacement a few weeks ago, I'm still nowhere close to catching up with where I was on my original system. I'm not so sure I even want to invest the time and effort, unless I can be assured that I'll be able to transport that data onto another PS3 if anything should ever happen to this one.

agm2502

Cruzader said:
Im pretty sure that feature is already on the PS3. Only problem is support from devs. There are a few but not many. Also PS3 lacks a "screen shot button" so the feature is useless.

They should just assign it to the print screen button on a keyboard for games that don't want to assign it to a particular button on the controller. At least it would give us the feature.

Top Bottom