• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Soi-Fong

also, anyone else occassionally being dropped back to the desktop, like you've alt-tabbed? When it's happened I've been able to click back into the game no problem (it's still running in the background), just seems odd it's dropped me to the desktop a handful of times.

Happened to me twice yesterday when I was playing. I played for about 3 hours yesterday. Just stopped after discovering the griffin nest.

finalflame

Crashes are definitely real. Happened 3 times in 2 hours last night.

Has anyone found a way to use custom resolutions? I need to use a slightly gimped 1080p due to overscan on my TV, and can't seem to get it to stick via the user.settings file.

Thabass

Not sure if this was posted here yet, but has anyone dealt with having the game go black and then your computer seemed to restart? But, not really restart?

After a few minutes of playing the game on Ultra (with Ambient Occlusion on), the game would this after a minute or two of playing.

I lowered the settings and the seemed to work, but I want to know if anyone else had this issue.

Tankshell

So far the game crashes consistently when I stay in the menus for too long. It is like a timer (memory leak?) that doesn't reset. So right now I have to rush through the menus because after about 3min in there the game will just freeze.

This is getting reported by a lot of users on the official Witcher 3 tech forums. So looks like a legit issue that will need to be patched.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/36724-Game-Freezing-when-browsing-through-inventory

Durante

Not sure if this was posted here yet, but has anyone dealt with having the game go black and then your computer seemed to restart? But, not really restart?

After a few minutes of playing the game on Ultra (with Ambient Occlusion on), the game would this after a minute or two of playing.

I lowered the settings and the seemed to work, but I want to know if anyone else had this issue.
Graphics driver crash. Probably your GPU isn't stable.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Has to be something with your hardware I think. I'm susceptible to even the slightest stuttering. Have not stuttered at all capping to 30 with the in-game settings. Mind you, I'm running full screen though.

I'm running on a Factory OC'd GTX 780 Ti Classified + i7 2600k @ 4.2 gHz.

it might be dropping below 30 for him. i like to use DSR in a lot of games and with everything turned up there are dips below 30 sometimes even though it feels smooth in most scenes. usually I just eat it but I will turn down some stuff that doesn't effect the visuals too much.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Doing this limits me to high settings only

Better than crashing though? My settings: Ultra preset, shadows high, foliage high, hairworks off, SSAO. 60fps rock solid, I found an area that dropped me to 54fps which is why I turned shadows to high, frame rate hasn't budged since and I don't even notice the graphical difference.

Rnr1224

Never got any crashes at all after about 4 hours of playing last night. I did notice something weird though. Seems the game doesn't need steam to be able to run. I pinned the witcher3.exe to my taskbar and it ran fine. But opening steam shows me at the exact time played as I was before.

On topic, my 970 is doing pretty well in the game at high settings. I'm gonna try to lock the fps to 30 and see how it handles ultra settings.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Only performance hickup I had with my 5-6 hours playing last night was a random infinite loading screen after finding the Griffin's nest and just getting the Place of Power right nearby. I just was running through the field and a fuzzy overlay popped up on the screen with the loading animation in the bottom right corner and just stayed like that rotating for a good 5+ minutes with no response to alt-f4 or any other input. So alt-tabbed out opened up the task manager and force quit the game rebooted and had a save barely a minute past and never had an issue again for another 3+ hours.

I've got the latest Nvidia drivers, and have played the game for 6 hours without a single crash.

I think some of you might want to check the stability of your overclocks. This game seems to push them hardware quite hard.

A lot of us are playing without any overclocking. i7 2600 and a GTX 970, still freezing up every hour or two. It's not frequent enough to become overly frustrating to me, and I'm sure patches and drivers over the next few weeks will iron out all the issues. Honestly, I expect open world games to launch worse than this, so I'm not bothered =P

I'm also INSANELY happy to see so many ways to boost visuals beyond Ultra settings! I can already tell this is a game I'll be returning to frequently over the years, just like I do with Skyrim, and knowing that a new GPU in three years time will be able to render distant shadows, dense grass, insane foliage draw distances, at 4k resolutions... That's exactly what I was hoping for =D Not quite Crysis levels of future visual eye-candy, but still damn impressive.

Thabass

Graphics driver crash. Probably your GPU isn't stable.

You mean physically stable?

Edit: It's true that I don't have the latest driver (for Witcher 3) that NVIDIA pushed, mainly because I can't seem to get it pushed my NVIDIA experience app.

Kezen

Banned
Shadows toned down to high, same for foliage visibility range, Hairworks off, everything else maxed (including the delicious HBAO+) and so far this is a solid 60fps.

Very happy. I tried Hairworks but it tanks my fps real hard.

Fox318

My laptop with a 980m plays this amazingly 45-60fps. Which to me is amazing, but then again a 980m is a cutdown 980 with some parts disabled because of heat and power constraints, it holds up very well though.

I am playing near ultra settings with AA disabled, SSAO, and foilage distance lowered to high. (Obviously hairworks is off, which doubled my FPS)

I don't really feel like playing this on my desktop since I have a 780 (non-ti) since it's not maxwell.

I want a 980 ti, my friend is enjoying it all maxed with hairworks at 1440p with his titan X...
How much VRAM in your 980m?

bltn

So I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers and jumped into the game last night.
I’ve got two 970’s, a i7 2600K @ 4.4 GHz, 16 gigs of ram, SSD, etc etc etc.
My monitors native res is 1920x1200.

Everything maxed, Hairworks, HBAO+, all sliders to the far right/ultra… I’m getting frames between 38 and 70. I definitely cannot lock things down at 60… and honestly, the variable framerate look smoother then capping frames at 30. Though I’ve only used the in-game frame limiter. Is there any particular reason it would be worth testing a 30 fps cap set through Riva Tuner?

Performance aside, with everything turned up, the game is gorgeous. I think tonight I will probably tinker around a bit to find out what compromises I need to make to have the game run at 60 consistently. Is there anyone else out there with dual 970’s you have setting recommendations to yield a solid 60?

Skip HairWorks and you should stay above 60fps at all times.

Soi-Fong

Shadows toned down to high, same for foliage visibility range, Hairworks off, everything else maxed (including the delicious HBAO+) and so far this is a solid 60fps.

Very happy. I tried Hairworks but it tanks my fps real hard.

I just want to make sure. There's only been one patch so far on PC and that's the Day One patch correct?

UnrealEck

So far the game crashes consistently when I stay in the menus for too long. It is like a timer (memory leak?) that doesn't reset. So right now I have to rush through the menus because after about 3min in there the game will just freeze.

Maybe you could try adding

TextureMemoryGUIBudget

to your user.settings file in your documents folder. The default setting is 80, maybe try something higher. Not sure if it'll work but worth a try.

Kezen

Banned
I just want to make sure. There's only been one patch so far on PC and that's the Day One patch correct?

My version is 1.02.

GOG Galaxy downloaded a 350mb patch upon installation, that's all.

Pleased with the performance and the visuals, anisotropic filtering seems to be working everywhere which is more than I can say for the Witcher 2.

It looks a bit blurry but nothing off-putting, the art is stellar.

Too early to say anything about the game itself.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm running a 970, i5 2500k, 16gb of RAM.

vsync - on
fullscreen
1920x1080 resolution
background characters - high
shadows - medium (haven't tried higher I don't have shadows high in any game anyway)
terrain - ultra
texture - ultra
water - ultra
grass - high
foliage distance - high
detail level - ultra

Everything in postproccessing is on and HBAO+.

Buttery 60fps, super smooth no drops so far just done the first 'major' side quest I guess I'd call it. Hope that helps/gets you hyped!

I5 2500k@4.3ghz
MSI 970
8gb Corsair Vengeance

Using the exact settings as above and I'm sitting on a perfect 60fps so far.

Really happy with the performance. Will report again when I've tested it more.

viveks86

Very strange: has anyone noticed the water splash in the intro bathtub scene on PS4 (9:23) when he picks up that crab thing? That water effect is missing on PC!

The bathtub scene had a couple of issues pre-release and it seems like they were never fixed. Geralt's hair is not shaded at all if you use Hairworks and looks really goofy. Thankfully, the issue is limited to that scene.

Rosur

Getting crashes every hour or so and not in demanding scenes (game is running well at 30fps on my system (i3 & 970)) any ideas whats causing it? Thinking of seeing if its a driver issue or not by reverting back to the older one, though thought I'd ask here first.

shandy706

Getting crashes every hour or so and not in demanding scenes (game is running well at 30fps on my system (i3 & 970)) any ideas whats causing it? Thinking of seeing if its a driver issue or not by reverting back to the older one, though thought I'd ask here first.

Rolling back drivers did nothing for me.

Won't hurt to try though.

Static Jak

Lots of people reporting driver issues. I've looked on reddit, here, CDPR Forums and Nvidia forums and the a lot of people reporting random crashes in game and driver crashes. I doubt it's solely driver related but the new driver does seem to have issues.

Tc91

Yeah, I'm also scratching my head with regard to people talk about a solid 60. My 970's can't do it unless I really dial things back.

Strange.

I literally booted up the game last night turned stuff up and down to the settings I posted before. If it drops it drops to 59fps which you don't even notice.

Never seen a considerable drop, it's 60fps constantly for me.

I5 2500k@4.3ghz
MSI 970
8gb Corsair Vengeance

Using the exact settings as above and I'm sitting on a perfect 60fps so far.

Really happy with the performance. Will report again when I've tested it more.

Good to hear man! I got work now for 6 hours :( Gonna be painful.

What's the lowest resolution available? Wondering if there's any setting my 560m can handle
1024x768. Shame that there aren't any lower 16:9 or 16:10 resolutions available, chaning the settings.ini doesn't work either.
Seems like there a hard-coded 768 pixel vertical minimum somehow. I'd love to be wrong :(

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Anyone tried using the previous Nvidia drivers before updating to the new "witcher 3 ready drivers" ? Curious about the performance differences.

parabolee

After a little tweaking the game is running fantastic for me. And my goodness does it look incredible!

i7-4770K
GTX 980
16GB RAM

Running from an SSD.

1080p very solid 60fps. I get a few dips in demanding scenes but nothing too distracting.

Everything MAX except...

Shadows = High - Because the difference is imperceptible without side by side screens.

Foliage visibility range = Medium - Because other than looking at screenshots of vista's, the difference is barely noticeable but the difference in performance is massive! Only time it's really noticeable is when running the horse at full speed, and the way The Witcher 3 handles the detail pop in is SO much better than most games (especially The Witcher 2) that it is still not an issue at all.

the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-foliage-visibility-performance-640px.png

And I make those 2 sacrifices because I want to run...

HairWorks = FULL - Because it looks amazing! Most next gen aspect of the games graphics. And costs LESS than pushing the foliage distance to Ultra with a far more noticeable improvement to visual quality in gameplay.

DigitalGloomyFrenchbulldog.gif

http://gfycat.com/DigitalGloomyFrenchbulldog#

You want better screenshots, go Ultra foliage distance. You want it to be FAR more stunning in motion. Go for the HairWorks first!

Kezen

Banned
Anyone tried Hairworks on an AMD card to see what kind of impact it has on framerate?

If it's anything like Far Cry 4 it should not tax AMD cards more than Nvidia ones.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/01/12/far_cry_4_graphics_features_performance_review/5#.VVtG7vk82Uk

However, in my experience Hairworks has an extremely significant performance hit, much more than the 7% shown here. The Witcher 3's Hairworks halves my framerate, it's "playable" but when you are used to 60fps it's very, very hard to go back.
I'll see in two years.

Kazdane

Anyone tried Hairworks on an AMD card to see what kind of impact it has on framerate?

In my case, with Win10 and a r9 290 @ 1080p, using the latest win10 beta driver (which was released last week) it was pretty much cutting fps in half (from 60 to 29-35).

viveks86

I'm absolutely STUNNED by the load times. 5 seconds from menu (SSD). A couple of seconds after death. For a world this big, this is huge feat!

SinSilla

Game looks awesome and runs mighty fine on my machine. Hairworks looks so good on monsters that i chose a locked 30fps (ingame) everything else ultra.

System:
2500k@4,2GHz
Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 (factory oc)
8 GB Ram
Win 10
352.84 WHQL

I'm not sure if im being overly optimistic since i had not much time fiddling with the settings, but i was hoping that i could downscale from 1440p and add the CascadeShadowDistance Tweaks on top when going down to high with foliage visibility.

Will try that when i'm back from work.

Leatherface

God I want hair works but the hit is too brutal to maintain my 60FPS dream. After coming off of Dragon Age: Inquisition, which ran at a locked 60FPS for me, 30FPS in this game feels like a stuttery annoying mess!

bltn

I suspect as much, but it just looks so good.
But yeah, I'd rather have performance than fluid hair.

You could experiment with lowering HairWorksAALevel, and see if you can still manage to keep HairWorks on. That's what I'm gonna experiment with once I get home, at least.

Rom1944

I got freezes that keeps playing the music every 20 mins or so seems in the cdr forums and gog that many people has the same issues its makes the game unplayable for me.

Leatherface

that gif a few posts back. damn. Have you seen the hairworks off version of that beast? That's what ruined me. Now I need hairworks. :'(

Top Bottom