• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

Sourav93

Neo Member
Thanks for posting these details. A factory OC'd 2GB 770 should perform similar to my 2GB 680 Lightning, so at least I can look forward to a constant 30fps with great image quality, which is what I aimed for anyway.

Have you tried halving your refresh rate in Nvidia CP? That should provide a slightly smoother experience if capping to 30.

Well, using Nvidia Control Panel for adaptive V-Sync at half refresh rate did remove the stutters, but I noticed tearing even at a constant 30fps. So I switched back to in-game V-Sync - really hate tearing. Guess I'll have to find another way to get rid of the stutter. Honestly, it doesn't happen all the time, and some folks might not even notice it. Just that it can get a tad annoying sometimes.

UnrealEck

Here's my settings on my 780 that helped me get a locked, rock-solid 60fps

Basically you're getting at least 20 FPS more than me on a 770. That's why I'm finding it hard to believe what some people are describing as a rock-solid 60 fps framerate.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm just not buying into some of these 700 series comments.

With a 780 (with or without stable overclock) there is no way I can get a 100% no holds barred 60fps lock wihout dropping everything to medium.

Kepler is dead.

Ha gtfo man. Kepler is fine.

Your expectations are just way above that of most gamers. Nothing wrong with that, but my 670 and shitastic Phenom are giving me more than acceptable performance (better visuals and performance than the PS4).

Not dead.

pahamrick

Last I checked no one had figured out how to unpack/modify the rescript files for REDengine 3 yet, so will probably have to resort to using cheat engine for now. I think TW2's were plain lua but thats not the case in TW3. CDPR said they'd release a new ver of REDkit eventually for the game.

Weight is the first thing I mod out, but honestly with TW3 it seems like the items are weighted a lot less, I haven't had an issue yet.

I'm sitting at 59 of 60 so I was hoping. Need to get those saddlebags for a temporary reprieve. Haven't been able to change inventory with cheat engine yet, probably searching the wrong value.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm running a 970, i5 2500k, 16gb of RAM.

vsync - on
fullscreen
1920x1080 resolution
background characters - high
shadows - medium (haven't tried higher I don't have shadows high in any game anyway)
terrain - ultra
texture - ultra
water - ultra
grass - high
foliage distance - high
detail level - ultra

Everything in postproccessing is on and HBAO+.

Buttery 60fps, super smooth no drops so far just done the first 'major' side quest I guess I'd call it. Hope that helps/gets you hyped!

That sounds absolutely perfect! Installing my 970 as I type. Will jump in game very soon and report back. :)

Any having any issues running the Nvidia experience auto setting for the game?

My only issue is it seems to want to limit FPS to 30 when that doesnt fully utilise my 780GTX.

GE is really hit and miss. Usually miss, for me. I'd say use their recommended settings as a base, then tweak to find what works best for you.

Static Jak

For anyone on nvidia fighting crashes, I haven't had a single crash since switching to fullscreen from borderless windowed -- and that's with using the latest witcher 3 drivers.

Also, anyone found a way to remove the weight limit or make items have zero weight? I'm a super hoarder in RPGs and weight limits are usually the first thing I make go away but I've had no luck finding out how.
I'm already in fullscreen mode.

Looking around, there's no clear fix yet, hopefully they get on it quick with a patch.

paolo11

Ok, I'm using my Steambox rig. 1080p Ultra settings hairworks on

I7 4790k
Dual 980GTX SLI
8GB RAM
SSD

Locked 60fps. Rare drops but I'm still at White Orchard.

Rafy

I have a 970 and turning HBAO+ on made the game unplayable for me and it started crashing. After disabling it ir run mostly buttery smooth. Is that normal?

I really need to replace my cooler on the 4670k BTW, the stock one ain't cutting it.

Schnozberry

i7-5820k
16GB RAM
GTX 980 Kingpin
ROG Swift

Other than foliage distance being dialed back to high, I have everything turned up at 1440p. Getting 55-70fps in most scenes. Some dips to the low 50s during hectic action sequences. G-SYNC to the rescue.

Is anybody else having an issue where no matter what setting they choose for window size, it always reverts back to borderless window? All other settings changes take effect as you would expect.

realcZk

Basically you're getting at least 20 FPS more than me on a 770. That's why I'm finding it hard to believe what some people are describing as a rock-solid 60 fps framerate.

It's rock solid 60 for me, no issues whatsoever. Keep in mind my 780 is the super clocked version that I've overclocked +40 core/150 mem on top of that...a 780 is around 25-30% faster than a 770.

I'm also on Windows 10 (10074/352.84) ,but I don't know if that makes a difference in any case.

realcZk

I'm sitting at 59 of 60 so I was hoping. Need to get those saddlebags for a temporary reprieve. Haven't been able to change inventory with cheat engine yet, probably searching the wrong value.

Yeah pick up those saddle bags! They were one of the first items I bought. Once I run into the weight issue I'll give CE a run and see if its easy to find

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Yesterday I was crashing to desktop every 10 minutes, today I haven't crashed once after removing my GPU overclock, going back to just the factory overclock. GTX 970.

Soi-Fong

Yeah, I'm also scratching my head with regard to people talk about a solid 60. My 970's can't do it unless I really dial things back.

Yeah, that's the thing with me. I'm wondering what people here mean when they say, "rock-solid 60."

I can keep up 60 fps at 1080p with all settings set to max except shadows, foliage and grass density set to high, but even then I get drops to around 55 fps. That's not rock-solid to me. Any sort of drop for me from 60 is jarring, but that's just me personally.

That's why I decided to cap at 30 fps, but bumping up the resolution to 1440p to downsample and get some nice AA going. I get a solid 30 fps with no drops.

styl3s

Yeah pick up those saddle bags! They were one of the first items I bought. Once I run into the weight issue I'll give CE a run and see if its easy to find
Yeah the first thing i bought was a saddle bag because i am a hoarder.

Herbs don't take up space though do they? For some reason i am compelled to pick every plant that pops up on my minimap.

pahamrick

Just got them, was lacking the funds as I went craft happy earlier. I tried searching by max weight and current weight, but none of the values I found did anything when altered. If you manage to find it, please toss me a PM!

Blackage

I'm getting alot of crashes around the first Nilfguard camp. Crashed when I walked in, after selling stuff to the merchant, after talking to the commander, and again after catching that Temarian soldier and bringing him back to the Nilfguardians.

Game crashes to desktop, but the audio keeps going for about 1-2 minutes.

Shai-Tan

Banned

yup. it's shameful how that's their way to compete. luckily most of the physx effects are goofy and simplistic since they are simulating with huge particles. hairworks looks ok - not sure if it's worth the peformance reduction even on my 970 but what annoys me is things like boxes inexplicably exploding into a bunch of pieces because they want to show physics. i've always wanted individual control over physx because of how pathetically they grasp for applications for those effects

CHC

I know it sounds crazy but 30 and 60 FPS don't feel that different when using a gamepad, it's not like GTAV where it's a night and day difference. Geralt controls kinda sloppy either way, after like 5 minutes I'm used to 30 and at least I don't have to sacrifice all them sweet graphics.

That's why I decided to cap at 30 fps, but bumping up the resolution to 1440p to downsample and get some nice AA going. I get a solid 30 fps with no drops.

For whatever reason, when I lock to 30 in-game the game seems to stutter a lot, which is something that does not happen when I have it set to 60 or unlimited. I'm going to try locking to 30 with riva tuner this evening to see if that changes things.

Durante

You know wha's the first thing you should do if you get crashes in any software and are overclocking? Disable your overclocks. Yes, all of them. If you still get crashes, then you can complain about drivers or games.

I can't help but agree.
I can't help but call the author a clickbaiter. But seriously, all these people making definitive, detailed statements about game software without even being able to look at a profiler make me sick. At least this one is slightly more well founded than the likes of NXGamer.

Soi-Fong

For whatever reason, when I lock to 30 in-game the game seems to stutter a lot, which is something that does not happen when I have it set to 60 or unlimited. I'm going to try locking to 30 with riva tuner this evening to see if that changes things.

Has to be something with your hardware I think. I'm susceptible to even the slightest stuttering. Have not stuttered at all capping to 30 with the in-game settings. Mind you, I'm running full screen though.

I'm running on a Factory OC'd GTX 780 Ti Classified + i7 2600k @ 4.2 gHz.

Tankshell

Yesterday I was crashing to desktop every 10 minutes, today I haven't crashed once after removing my GPU overclock, going back to just the factory overclock. GTX 970.

Same here! (although only played for an hour today so far, so not completely sure the problem has gone...). Will play more tonight and keep my fingers crossed.

Lots of crashing here. I very rarely (almost never) have crashes in games, but it's happening at least once an hour with W3. Pretty randomly, too. Tried all the usual stuff, like removing over clocks, but no dice.

Evo X

I've got the latest Nvidia drivers, and have played the game for 6 hours without a single crash.

I think some of you might want to check the stability of your overclocks. This game seems to push them hardware quite hard.

Cincaid

Running super-smooth 60FPS for me with my GTX970 and most settings on either Very High or Ultra (the hair-thing turned off though). My only issue right now is that the game have crashed (hard lock) for me twice after playing for roughly two hours. Extremely frustrating, as it happens out of the blue and everything else is working fine. :(

I hope CDPR will patch it soon, or Nvidia will provide new drivers if the issue is there.

Playing through GOG Galaxy, but guess that shouldn't matter. Edit: I'm also not overclocking anything.

Soi-Fong

I know it sounds crazy but 30 and 60 FPS don't feel that different when using a gamepad, it's not like GTAV where it's a night and day difference. Geralt controls kinda sloppy either way, after like 5 minutes I'm used to 30 and at least I don't have to sacrifice all them sweet graphics.

I can tell the difference easy, but it doesn't affect gameplay for me whatsoever. I've already stated, that I only need 60 fps for shooters and racing games. That's it.

I notice more the aliasing in this game just rendering at 1080p. I cannot stand it, that's why I'm downsampling from 1440p to bruteforce some AA. It's gorgeous just getting rid of 95% of those jaggies.

Can someone help me with DSR? I've never really used it before but want to give it a go here. I've got it set up so I can choose a new resolution in GeForce Experience. My original resolution is 1080p so what's a good resolution to crank it up to without crippling performance? And do I then turn off anti aliasing?

also, anyone else occassionally being dropped back to the desktop, like you've alt-tabbed? When it's happened I've been able to click back into the game no problem (it's still running in the background), just seems odd it's dropped me to the desktop a handful of times.

p3n

So far the game crashes consistently when I stay in the menus for too long. It is like a timer (memory leak?) that doesn't reset. So right now I have to rush through the menus because after about 3min in there the game will just freeze.

viveks86

Yep, I noticed that as well. Also, I have a question for you. In your user.settings you have this line:

Code:
141d145
< HairWorksAALevel=4
which I don't have. I assume:

Code:
HairWorksAALevel=8

will probably tank the fps in your rig even more? (And the difference is noticable?)

I'm not sure it made a difference. It was in rendering.ini, so I thought I'll give it a shot since 8x seemed overkill for 1440p. Since neither IQ/performance had noticeably changed, I just left it in

Top Bottom