• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT22| Game of Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namikaze1

Shout out to Nooblet and Gunawi for some incredible ToO matches. We went 8-0, we all still had the Mercy boon active, then our very last match: lag switch cheaters. One guy can't be inspected in orbit, enter the game and he's invisible, noob and gun get immediately Dc'ed by olive errors and I follow them shortly.

Best part: the Mercy boon didn't activate so it counts as a loss regardless and wiped our flawless card out. The card has 8 wins, 1 loss and the mercy still active. As much as I love this game, that's a whole new level of rage quit. Saved the videos so I can submit the user names and hopefully get them banned.

Edit: beaten by Nooblet :p
Record and report their IDs. It's been happening to a lot of folks over at reddit.

WTF is this. Thank goodness it has dreg burn cause I couldn't one shot them already.

11113209_894194110618861_2636492952569472870_n.jpg

blazeuk

ToO 9-0 done on all 3 characters;

Picked up The Scholar (Solar), Jewel of Osiris (Void) and The Messenger (Void), pretty happy with that overall, upgraded my Fatebringer and a few other things and have enough Etheric Light to get all characters to 34 (just done the 1 so far). Now to watch the always impressive Unstable do his thing.

Shout out to Nooblet and Gunawi for some incredible ToO matches. We went 8-0, we all still had the Mercy boon active, then our very last match: lag switch cheaters. One guy can't be inspected in orbit, enter the game and he's invisible, noob and gun get immediately Dc'ed by olive errors and I follow them shortly.

Best part: the Mercy boon didn't activate so it counts as a loss regardless and wiped our flawless card out. The card has 8 wins, 1 loss and the mercy still active. As much as I love this game, that's a whole new level of rage quit. Saved the videos so I can submit the user names and hopefully get them banned.

Let's hope Bungie cracks down the banhammer with the fury of an angry norse god or some shit. So incredibly goddamn lame.

noomi

So my trials card has 1 loss and I want to start over for flawless, how can I reset my card and start over?

MOTHER FUCKIN LAG SWITCHERS!!!....had so many clutch wins and great games with 1 game left to go to Mercury for Drizzay and Gunawi eith zero losses and for the last game we had lag switchers.

It counts as a loss and doesn't even uses your mercy ticket (it's still here and I have loss marked).

Fucking hell !!! All those great games wasted. Arrrrgh !!

This is one side of competitive gaming I hate...fucking cheaters :(

Picked up The Scholar (Solar), Jewel of Osiris (Void) and The Messenger (Void), pretty happy with that overall, upgraded my Fatebringer and a few other things and have enough Etheric Light to get all characters to 34 (just done the 1 so far). Now to watch the always impressive Unstable do his thing.

Damn! Nicely done!

I hope if they can't stop the Olives they just make it so you can go to Mercury with 9 wins and 1-2 losses instead. As it stands there's no point to get 9 wins if you have one loss on your card anyway.

Ramirez

I would love to see ToO have set loadouts for everyone each week, though I doubt many would agree. Have it rotate between each weapon type, variety!

hydruxo

Damn, sorry to hear that man. I know there was a post on reddit today about the ToO cheaters and Deej posted saying that they're aware of it, so hopefully they start banning people + find a way to patch it.

Deku Tree

MOTHER FUCKIN LAG SWITCHERS!!!....had so many clutch wins and great games with 1 game left to go to Mercury for Drizzay and Gunawi eith zero losses and for the last game we had lag switchers.

It counts as a loss and doesn't even uses your mercy ticket (it's still here and I have loss marked).

Fucking hell !!! All those great games wasted. Arrrrgh !!

Man that is awful... So sorry to hear about it... Exactly the same thing is described in a huge reddit thread.

Check your destinyDB games log.
People on reddit said the PSNs that showed up there were different than the ones in game.

I hate cheaters. I hope Sony bans their whole PSN accounts.
Bungie too.
I don't really get the point of cheating like that in a video game anyway but that's just me.

BondFancy

I hope if they can't stop the Olives they just make it so you can go to Mercury with 9 wins and 1-2 losses instead. As it stands there's no point to get 9 wins if you have one loss on your card anyway.
They should just add a diamond award that you get if you complete the card with losses that has a chance to award an elemental primary, but only gives you one item like judgements chance.

Deku Tree

Congrats very impressive!

ich00

Hm I wonder how bad it would be to remote play some trials...watching all these streams is giving me the itch to play.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Now that I've had a few groups and ran to 9-0 with the big dogs, I wanted to post up some of the stuff I'd noticed about the mode in advance of a weekly setup for me to roll with more casual players on Sunday evening, time TBA. God knows I can't carry to 9-0 like our stars here can, but hopefully I can at least help people put together a solid run and at least get 5 wins for easier access to level 34.

Basic Strategy

Two basic styles of play dominate the strategies you'll see out in the wild: passive and aggressive. Passive playstyle means either staying at your spawn point or another feasibly defensible point and basically remaining still for as much of the match as possible. Sniper rifles, other long range weapons such as Red Death and Thorn, and grenades are the main tools of a passive playstyle. If playing passively, you rarely want to expose yourself to the enemy and general want to take their entire team out from afar without any close quarters fights. If two passive teams are playing one another, round length is extended dramatically. Teams that are disciplined enough not to leave their hold points will often run up against the round timer and trigger the capture point that will instantly end the match- this point is the same every time on each map.

Aggressive playstyle means that your objective is to hunt down the other team as soon as you spawn. When playing aggressively, you will very rarely spend any time in the same area you spawn into. You want to push immediately. The Last Word, Hawkmoon, the Vex Mythoclast, shotguns and other mid-to-close range weapons are best suited to the aggressive playstyle. When an aggressive team is playing a passive team, the three of you will push and call out the area being held by the other team, and ideally have two players attack from a direct point, while the third flanks around to attack from behind. When an aggressive team plays another aggressive team, they will each be hunting each other down from spawn, and may even end up circling around fully to effectively trade spawn points. Mostly, however, these rounds wind up with quick engagements typically at the mid-point of the map.

The aggressive playstyle turns out to be by far the superior of the two. Many passive teams will simply not be ready for it and will get overwhelmed while trying to snipe, especially if a player was able to set up a flank. Other aggressive teams can present tense challenges depending on where fights happen to break out. Simply being aggressive and constantly pushing on enemy positions if you have even a slight advantage is the key to ending rounds quickly and building up momentum to end the match.

The heavy round should ideally be cleared as absolutely rapidly as possible. I prefer to never see a single heavy weapon fired- just eliminate the drop as a factor. The 15 seconds of countdown is usually enough time to clear out the entire other team or at least disrupt them from picking up their heavy. Thus, picking up your own heavy is not prioritized. Saving a super for this round is not a bad idea. If the round is extended and heavies are picked up, rocket launchers with tracking or proximity detonation prove much more effective than Machine Guns. Long kill streaks are of no use in elimination- but a single rocket that kills 2 or all 3 players is tough to come back from. Truth is the overall best weapon to have in your heavy slot for this, each shot being a near guaranteed kill.

Revives are absolutely critical. When a player is revived successfully, both the revived player and the reviving player get an overshield. That means if you're in a 2v1 against a newly revived player and their rescuer, you'll stand almost no chance. Securing a revive is typically the right move if you can do so. Perhaps 8/10 times, a revive is the right choice over a kill, unless that kill will end the match from safety. Remember, even if you take down the last of their team, go for revives immediately. Tricksy Warlocks may self revive and immediately get their teammates up too.

Callouts and general communication are paramount. If you don't know the maps from control, look them up and attempt to memorize the A, B and C capture points along with the two heavy spawns. Knowing these 5 callouts plus the generic term "mid" will get you much of the way toward being able to inform your teammates properly on many maps. Here's Burning Shine:

sg16KG1.png

(credit Zoba)

I (in my ignorance) will sometimes refer to the High Corner as "A Corner"- it's also sometimes called "C mirror" and "across from C." I'll also sometimes call A Mid and C Mid "A hallway" and "C hallway." Using these callouts frequently along with simple descriptors such as "weak/one-shot" for a target near death, or "Golden Gun/Arc Blade/Bubble at X" for supers, is key. Having just slightly more information about the position of the enemy team than you would if just playing alone and not speaking is the difference between a loss and a win.

Here are more callout maps for eight of the maps in the Crucible to acquaint yourself with. Playing Control with GAF (though it's my least favorite mode) is a great way to learn these quickly as well.

Other random tips:

• While heavy ammo exists only for the round in which it is accessed and will disappear even if unused, Special ammo and Super energy persist through rounds. Thus, it's always a good idea to rush for Special ammo boxes and opening them even after the round has ended is incredibly valuable. If you're anywhere near one when the round has ended, grab it- any teammates in the radius will get Special as well.
  • In the same vein, it's a great idea to have no more than one person use their Super per round, and ideally have one saved for the Match Point- snapping a 5th round win with a single Golden Gun can never be a bad idea.
  • Thorn vs. TLW vs. Hawkmoon: TLW is the most consistent and best killer of things if used in the right hands. Out of the other two, as much as it pains me to say it, Thorn is the more effective in ToO. While Hawkmoon's lucky bullets can rack up tons of kills, merely getting a kill- especially one at long range- isn't all that much of a big deal in elimination. Initial revives are quick and even benefit the person doing the reviving. As it stands, the occasional two-shot from Hawkmoon is far less beneficial to the team than the consistent benefits AND increased range of Thorn.
  • The overtime capture point on Burning Shrine is near B, on the other side of the stone tower.
  • Crest of Alpha Lupi for Titans and Hunters, with Light Beyond Nemesis for Warlocks, are the most valuable exotics to equip in the Trials by far. While they may not be a great match for your build, the aforementioned overshields as well as the ability of a revive to swing a match make them more than worth it. Remember that the effect applies both to the person you're reviving and you while being revived- so technically, pro teams need only have 2 out of 3 teammates wearing them. But it's never really a bad call. The additional orbs are icing on the cake.
  • Level differences are subtle, as in Iron Banner. However, you may run into unusual situations- for example the DoT from Thorn may not kill someone after two headshots as it would in regular Crucible. It's more important than ever to call out the status of any target you're shooting at, even if you think you've killed them easily, just in case they need one more shot from a teammate before they recharge.
  • All that matters is the W. I've heard people in multiple groups now tell me that they felt like they weren't pulling their weight or were doing poorly because they had few kills per round. But if you're alive, and we win the round, that means that at the very least you stayed alive until everyone on the other team was dead. Focus more on staying alive and assisting your teammates- pushing any time you have a 2v1 advantage- regardless of your personal K/D.
I hope this helps as a start and I look forward to playing with lots of you in the coming weeks.

Atone13

Now that I've had a few groups and ran to 9-0 with the big dogs, I wanted to post up some of the stuff I'd noticed about the mode in advance of a weekly setup for me to roll with more casual players on Sunday evening, time TBA. God knows I can't carry to 9-0 like our stars here can, but hopefully I can at least help people put together a solid run and at least get 5 wins for easier access to level 34.

Good read thanks! Haven't stepped foot into ToO yet, curious to give a go though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom