• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK art and spritework appreciation thread

Iolo

This is so gorgeous and calming. This is one of those threads were you wish you could print out gifs and put them on the wall.

Hell, I'm getting this weird compulsion to cross-stitch one of these. It would look incredible. I just don't have a spare 2 years.

OP, you rule. SNK art, characters, storylines, soundtracks, etc are awesome.

What's your favorite piece of SNK art?

Oh man, tough one. Probably this (Hero Team of The King Of Fighters 2000, it's an unlockable piece of art in the Dreamcast version of the game):

NewheroHiro.jpg

Who's your favorite SNK character?

In the past, it used to be Kyo. I used to play as Kyo in all KoF games. But then I realized that my favorite character had been in front of me all along (Iori Yagami, of course):

Iori_Yagami_h1.jpg

What's your favorite SNK stage?

"Insert any stage from Garou or the Last Blade 2 here." I'll put one of my all-time favorites though, from The Last Blade 2:

Lb2fireatwadamoyabg.gif

What's your favorite SNK animation?

"Insert almost any animation from the Metal Slug series here."

mollipen

No shame: I adore Mai and her ample-ness. Maybe it's because I want to have a body like hers. *laughs* (And it's also because she's hot.) If SNK didn't have such a fantastic roster of female characters, she might bother me, but they do, and so I'm able to love an over-the-top gal like her while also loving someone like Charlotte, who is her complete opposite.

Favorite SNK character is so tough. Might indeed be Char, but absolute top might be Blue Mary. I'm not even a huge fan of her movesets, and I have to forgive her for being a dog lover, but I just so adore her character design.

Play-wise, Shermie is so great, but there's so many others I also love. KOF '98 Mai is the greatest, Yuri, King, Kyo, MOTW Terry, Kensou, Ukyo, Kaeda, Akari, Yuki, Shizumaru, Nakoruru. Way too many more to list.

Picking a favorite background is impossible. Way, way too many options. SNK did things with sprites and pixel art that still seems impossible at times. Samsho II's Versailles stage still holds a special place in my heart, though.

samsho_05.jpg

Seriously, though, so, so, so many amazing backgrounds across the Neo Geo's lifespan.

BadWolf

Favorite SNK character is so tough. Might indeed be Char, but absolute top might be Blue Mary. I'm not even a huge fan of her movesets, and I have to forgive her for being a dog lover, but I just so adore her character design.

Very much agreed, she's such a memorable character. This is what she probably would have looked like if Garou Mark of the Wolves 2 didn't get cancelled:

iI6VLeq.jpg

uyNRdWi.gif

mollipen

Very much agreed, she's such a memorable character. This is what she probably would have looked like if Garou Mark of the Wolves 2 didn't get cancelled:

Ugh, don't remind me. From the moment I saw that artwork years and years ago, I was heartbroken, because that update for her looks so awesome design-wise.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The best SNK characters, for me, have to be as follows:

The King: Ukyo Tachibana (Samurai Shodown)

ukyo-sp2.jpg

ss-ukyo2.gif

snk-ukyo.gif

No other fighting game character tops Ukyo for me. Handsome, alluring, mysterious. A skilled samurai with a tragic fate already spelled out for him.

Top 3:

1. Charlotte Colde (Samurai Shodown)

charlotte-sen.jpg

charlotte-ss4-small-1.gif

snk-charlotte2.gif

I'm a sucker for female knights. And Charlotte's design is fantastic. She stands out in a series full of samurai and ninjas, and is beautiful without being the least bit sexualized.

2. Moriya Minakata (Last Blade)

moriya-ngbc.jpg

moriyaportrait.gif

snk-moriya.gif

A really cool design all around. He manages to pull off the trenchcoat, headband, ponytail, and samurai look all at the same time, without any of it seeming over the top or forced. His red hair is very striking, and his circle attack moves have a really unique flair.

3. Kim Jae Hoon (Garou: Mark of the Wolves)

jaehoon-wht.jpg

jaehoon-win.gif

snk-jaehoon.gif

Much cooler than his father or his brother. Rock Howard seems to get all the Garou love, but Kim Jae Hoon is far and away my favorite character from that game, and probably my favorite Tae Kwon Doe fighter in any game. He's cool without being aloof, which is somewhat rare. I also love his white/green color scheme, and his blue hair.

Heman

Those backgrounds ....Jesus Christ they are pretty. I wish I could use them as desktop backgrounds.

Here is hoping for SNK to keep on kicking.

Biker19

Banned
The richness of the Neo Geo/AES palette coupled with the artistic talent and large animation budgets SNK routinely utilised led to some of the best if not the best 2D stuff around. It's the kind of personal craft that never dates and will always look phenomenal.

I agree. It's amazing on how they managed to make their games look so good on the hardware that they have, even in the 2000's (Samurai Spirits Zero Special/Samurai Shodown V Special was the last game to be made for Neo-Geo back in 2004).

Yeah, I absolutely love SNK artwork.

It's why I loved picking an SNK groove in Capcom vs SNK just to see the Capcom characters with SNK art. So good.gif

Yeah, I absolutely love SNK artwork.

It's why I loved picking an SNK groove in Capcom vs SNK just to see the Capcom characters with SNK art. So good.gif

Shikiro went on to do promo art in Capcom games like Resident Evil DS, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Bionic Commando Re:Armed, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Ultimate Ghouls n' Ghosts and, more. He has a rad style.

So many good ones!

I love that there is still a vibrant community too. Between the upcoming release of Kraut Buster and the AES/MVS Crossed Swords 2 it is still great to see these awesome 2D games

butman

Timeless
Classy
Charismatic
Vivid

20oiBf8.png

By FAR the BEST Character Portraits design in any game.

Anyone know who the artist is?

jetsetrez

Man, I really miss when 2d art and hand drawn animation was more common/revered. Just felt like there was so much heart and soul to it.

There's so much amazing SNK artwork, but my favorite batch overall is still the artwork for KoF: 2002 Unlimited Match. I love these portraits so much. (I won't post everyone, but they're all amazing.)

5s0BZdZ.jpg

AWhdiE8.jpg

wlSzVUW.jpg

wrFINH3.jpg

caY6xyY.jpg

M98CG8Y.jpg

Y5eGq8d.jpg

pfVcvWH.jpg

correojon

Great thread, thanks OP!

Apart from the awesome art/spritework I also loved SNK´s game´s music: KOF'99, The Last Blade (so melancholic), Metal Slug...

What's your favorite piece of SNK art?
Maybe that illustration for an anniversary where there are a lot of characters from SNK´s franchises chilling out over a white background:
snk-logo.jpg

It may not be the most beautiful but I love to see all these characters together in some way :)

Who's your favorite SNK character?
Can´t pick just one: Andy, Kyo, Iori and Marco from Metal Slug.

What's your favorite SNK stage?
Must be the rainy stage from KOF, the burning house from The Last Blade or Gato´s stage from Garou (the waterfalls):
gato36nq.gif

What's your favorite SNK animation?
Any of those animations before a match where Kyo and Iori greet each other and trash talk.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I play some KOF and Metal Slug every now and then, but I have never been too big into most SNK games. I thing I've got to say though, is that all their female designs are great.

Except for Angel, ugh.

Krammy

tumblr_inline_n93qibfeVR1ri065t.gif

I remember the first time I saw False Rootmars use this attack, the wobble effect around the energy ball blew my mind.

tumblr_inline_n83w38VpH51ri065t.gif
tumblr_inline_n83wnoMNh21ri065t.gif

Garou: Mark of the Wolves is another great example of their sheer talent in animation. It still stands as one of my favourite games in SNK's library.

tumblr_inline_n8ermfPiWR1ri065t.gif

Their work on the NeoGeo Pocket was pretty good too!

Fuz

Banned
Add me to the list of people who absolutely love SNK art style.
Last Blade's stages always amaze me for how increbidly beautiful they are:
animated-gifs-of-fighting-game-backgrounds-43.gif

animated-gifs-of-fighting-game-backgrounds-50.gif

I also love KoF stages before they added the cheering crowds (hate those):
Kof95mexicobg.gif

2658226411_052edb87a2.jpg

kof95-stage-korea.gif

kof95-psycho.png

94_brazil_02.png

Even the spriteworks got worse when they started adding the crowds in the background (hate the K, Ash and the newcomers design direction).
Another beautiful gem is Ninja Master's:
tumblr_n5hyv64iQH1t06dp3o6_1280.gif
image.png

And, obviously, Samurai Spirits:
Ss2genjurobg.gif

200_s.gif

I actually could go on and on and on linking images. God, I miss the old SNK.

NEO0MJ

A recent favorite of mine is Takuma's idle stance. Like, you know this guy is gonna tear shit up. Not too complex but I like it. Should dig up more favs later.

takuma-kof13-stance.gif

They were so good. Some more Metal Slug.

GGKN4.gif

I just took the time to read them, as I never had time to really focus while playing. The first says "Cough they get sick", followed by the middle banner which says "I have diarrhea", and the one after it says "I need medicine" XD

Tizoc

Bet you lot can't guess my Top 10 SNK characters :V
Rugal
Tizoc/Griffon Mask
Setsuna
Chang Koehan
Yashiro
HonFu
Ralf
Vanessa
Krauser
Grant

IMO the Neo Geo could produce some great visuals, but the CPS2 had better colors in the games. KoF engine's repeated use made stuff look rather dry/drab to my eyes X_X

Top Bottom