• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK art and spritework appreciation thread

KiteGr

I see little love for Vanesa, one of my favorites.

latest

vanessa-beatdown.gif

This is most likelly fan-made, but one can dream...
kof_xii_styled_sprite_by_omegaefex-d3k0wkr.png

Kusano123

Neo Member
There's so much amazing SNK artwork, but my favorite batch overall is still the artwork for KoF: 2000 Unlimited Match. I love these portraits so much. (I won't post everyone, but they're all amazing.)

5s0BZdZ.jpg

AWhdiE8.jpg

wlSzVUW.jpg

wrFINH3.jpg

caY6xyY.jpg

M98CG8Y.jpg

Y5eGq8d.jpg

pfVcvWH.jpg

and the music too. : ) As for me, one favourite artwork i can immediately think from the top of my head is this

iYqpf2A.png

Because my first was KOF 96'

With the Virtual Console I own a few many SNK games. I have The Last Blade 2, KOF 99, Sengoku 3 and Real Bout Fatal Fury 2.

They fill in my 2D fighter niche on Wii U.

They look really solid over HDMI on Wii U through backwards-compatibility. I think 2D art at native res looks really great on a 1080p set unlike a lot of 3D stuff at less than 720p.

Also have the Wii Metal Slug, SNK Classics, KOF and Samurai Shodown collections.

The Last Blade 2 is really stunning but I always wished it had a background with snow like the first one.

Wanted to get Art of Fighting 3 just for the animation but the home release that's on the Virtual Console doesn't have the option to play as the two bosses.

Shredderi

This thread is giving me a graphics hard-on. To think that I actually thought that guilty gear had great animation when I was younger. The animations in KOF are so good and detailed. I'm actually making 2d animations for a small game as I type this and all these just makes me want to quit :D

Tizoc

There's so much amazing SNK artwork, but my favorite batch overall is still the artwork for KoF: 2000 Unlimited Match. I love these portraits so much. (I won't post everyone, but they're all amazing.)

5s0BZdZ.jpg

AWhdiE8.jpg

wlSzVUW.jpg

wrFINH3.jpg

caY6xyY.jpg

M98CG8Y.jpg

Y5eGq8d.jpg

pfVcvWH.jpg

Hiroaki's art is a mixed bag for me for some reason...

terrier

this awesome thread makes me sad :( i wish SNK was still alive, the old fashioned SNK.

Well, at least the gave us KOF XII&XIII but i want a new 2D Samsho , please

haohmaru-cvs2-colors.gif
<---- Capcom made this one, my mistake :p

Samurai Shodown 3 stages are the best imo. They also have a subtle 3d effect on the floor when jumping. So many small details...

lxtounge.gif

KiteGr

shingo_yabuki_portrait_kof_xi_mugen_by_orochidarkkyo-d4pmkld.jpg

Shingo Yabuki is pretty much the Dan of KoF.
latest

He is a fan of the protagonist Kyo, and all his moves are inferior, incomplete or altered copies of his (obviously he can't produce flames). He supposedly writes all Kyo's moves he sees in his notebook, so he can train them later, hoping that one day he'll be able to produce flames just like Kyo.
Shingo.Start.gif

Unlike Dan who is a show-off, over-confident joke, I find my self rooting for Shingo, who is an everyman strugling to remain relevant in that cast of superfighters.
kyo-iori_ending02.png

Even the ending of his team in KoF11 shows him beaten up.

Tizoc

We a CPS appreciation thread, even though it'd mostly feature Darkstalkers sprites :V

this awesome thread makes me sad :( i wish SNK was still alive, the old fashioned SNK.

Well, at least the gave us KOF XII&XIII but i want a new 2D Samsho , please

haohmaru-cvs2-colors.gif

I feel like some people here can't distinguish between games that SNK made and the ones Capcom made XP

terrier

We a CPS appreciation thread, even though it'd mostly feature Darkstalkers sprites :V

I feel like some people here can't distinguish between games that SNK made and the ones Capcom made XP

oh, my mistake, is that from CvsSNK? looks nice too XD Never played that game very much, and my memory is not very good. If fact it reminds me a bit the syle SNK used in KOFXII.

let's fix my mistake: looks better and more badass. Too bad Samsho 3 is a bit overlooked, its dark and opressing atmosphere is unmatched (even rivals mortal kombat's) but was a bit lacking in content
ss3anihaohmaru1.gif

raven777

Timeless
Classy
Charismatic
Vivid

20oiBf8.png

By FAR the BEST Character Portraits design in any game.

Anyone know who the artist is?

This was 2000, right? It's one of the KOF games I didn't get to play much (along with 2013 and XII) but I agree that it had the best portraits in the entire series.

terrier

one think i always disliked was the art style in their carts, ingame art was awesome, but in their carts /cd and instruction manuals was horrible, al faces look the same no matter the character

Samurai_Shodown_II_cover.jpg

vs

haohmaru.jpg

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
My name is Fersis and i approve this thread.

<3

terrier

How about non-fighting VS games?

Last Resort:
tumblr_mskistqdMP1s7elebo1_400.gif

Sengoku 2:
118124216845.png

Top Hunter:
tophuntr_3.png

Sengoku2 was beautiful, And Last Resort too.

I wonder if we could consider some games made by ADK or Nazca as SNK games. I always had doubts about who made the game. Also Baseball Stars 2 had amazing art.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
IMO the Neo Geo could produce some great visuals, but the CPS2 had better colors in the games. KoF engine's repeated use made stuff look rather dry/drab to my eyes X_X

Well, that's true -the CPS2 hadware was technically better and newer than the Neo-Geo by several years- but that just makes what SNK, Nazca, ADK, and the like did that much more impressive!

terrier

Well, that's true -the CPS2 hadware was technically better and newer than the Neo-Geo by several years- but that just makes what SNK, Nazca, ADK, and the like did that much more impressive!

The only thing i missed on NEO GEO were hardware transparencies (and maybe some kind of mode 7/rotation ). Even the SNES had that ,also CPS2

BadWolf

Setsuna from Last Blade 2 is so awesome:

pLZThKx.gif

IVY53sX.gif

sPP2foQ.gif

3gP4Iw8.gif

SXsHhM6.gif

I was not a fan of Athena's new look in 12 and disappointed they stuck with it in 13.

I don't mind it personally but KOFXIV will probably contain a new look for her so there's that to look forward to.

Actually this is one of the big things I'm looking forward to with KOFXIV since if they really are abandoning the 2D sprites then I'm curious to see what new look and style the characters will have.

The new 2D sprites (KOFXII/KOFXIII) were designed by Nona but iirc he is no longer at SNK (left due to overwork). Maybe Hiraoki?

Some more KOF sprites:

They absolutely nailed Ash's look and character in the new sprite, so much personality in those poses and animations.

SNK definately had the edge when it came to pixel art, I'm wondering if they're even still making games for other than mobile and pachinko. I remember they kept running into financial trouble every other year.

BadWolf

SNK definately had the edge when it came to pixel art, I'm wondering if they're even still making games for other than mobile and pachinko. I remember they kept running into financial trouble every other year.

They have had job postings in magazines and on their site for the next mainline KOF and SamSho for a while now so those are definitely coming it seems.

And, as per their site, they are actually at almost 200 employees now. So if anything they seem to be growing?

Oh and the Metal Slug game they released on mobile recently must be their most profitable thing in years, it has had over 21 million downloads iirc.

Celine

I wonder if we could consider some games made by ADK or Nazca as SNK games. I always had doubts about who made the game. Also Baseball Stars 2 had amazing art.
Technically Nazca was absorbed by SNK only after the first Metal Slug.
ADK was on the other hand was an independent company throughout Neo Geo lifespan but with an exclusive agreement to develop (mostly) for SNK platforms.

Magician Lord was the best looking Neo Geo game at launch:
main.gif

World Heroes Perfect has nice graphics for the time and it's quite good:
worldh2perfect-s1.gif

OverTop nice looking top down racing game with short longevity:
overtop2.jpg

convo

If I'm not mistaken aren't they making the move to 3D with them?

Whatcha talkin bout we already had Maximum Impact :)
but i also think we will get a polygonal game this time, hopefully the team can continue with passion since they have mobile games to make them cash

BadWolf

If I'm not mistaken aren't they making the move to 3D with them?

Yeah, that seems to be the case. The job postings required experience with working in 3D.

Question is which route they will take, a more clear 3D looking approach (ala MI and SF4/5) or something that tries to emulate 2D (like Xrd).

Top Bottom