• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK art and spritework appreciation thread

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
SNK has by far some of the best art, character design, and spritework in the industry.

GeeseHoward.jpg

lb-misc01.jpg

th

tdZlX.gif

Kof99park3bglite.gif

rockbc.gif
rock-ng-win2.gif
kimjaohoon-risingkick.gif
jae-taunting.gif

What's your favorite piece of SNK art?

Who's your favorite SNK character?

What's your favorite SNK stage?

What's your favorite SNK animation?

Always loved and appreciated the visuals of Metal Slug as a kid, even today. They were so fluid and detailed, but we're clearly spritework. So charming and fun looking! I haven't played a Metal Slug game in too long!

braves01

Banned
What's your favorite piece of SNK art?

I only got them recently on Wii VC, but I already think the Last Blade games in their entirety are the most artful games they've made.

Who's your favorite SNK character?

Terry Bogard

What's your favorite SNK stage?

The rainy KOF 99 stage or the burning house in LB2 or the...

What's your favorite SNK animation?

The idle animation when you're fat in Metal Slug is just your character bent over and wheezing

Grzi

Kyo Kusanagi burning his headband in KOF '99 is one of the most iconic 2D sprite animations in gaming history.

Mah man Shinkiro

Let me find some Nona and Tonko art later on...

Never really liked Shinkiro. Good color and technique, but his faces all have the same bland look that I find really unappealing...

EDIT: Art-wise, my favorite game series from SNK is Gekka no Blade (The Last Blade)

Shin

Banned
Totally agree with you OP, plus they just don't make games like these anymore.
Kinda hard to call favorite when there are so many, always loved their game and art style.

Off-topic: SNK should do what Arc Sys did with GG3rd for models but keep the beautiful backgrounds all in glorious 1080p (I'm probably contradicting myself).
But damn man they got so many great games it's a shame nothing is being done with the IP's.

AdanVC

Awww yiss. I consider SNK art/pixel art to be the finest and highest quality in gaming. Metal Slug sprites are insanely detailed.

o458Usk.gif

QXt9LD3.gif

ZtcAyEv.gif

I love this one omfg:
nMnPWU2.gif

You can even hear the shooting sound in your head on this one due to how the engine inside the gun contracts so well
SX2bhUI.gif

QNLSMGV.gif

Source

Does someone know the artist/artists who did this?

First picture is the best; I've been in love with that picture of Geese ever since I first saw it.

I wasn't really aware of SNK when I was younger and started getting into it a few years back and I can't believe how detailed most of their stuff is.

Artwork?

That Geese on her thrown image.

Character?

Geeeeeese

Stage?

Burning house from LB2

Animation?

Rock Howard's Jacket throw from CVS2. Nothing spectacular but I was always really fond of it. Can't find a gif.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have always preferred snk to capcom, both art and game-wise(especially fighting games), but Capcom wins hands down for beat'em ups, weirdly snk weak point.

TreIII

A lost art, most definitely. Samurai Shodown and Fatal Fury always stuck out the most for me, growing up.

Whateve SNKP is planning for the future, it better be great. And hopefully much more of a sustainable business model than 12 and 13...

bengraven

Metal Slug gifs make me wish I could be decent at that game, but I fucking suck.

Still love the backgrounds of Neo Geo games. God, I miss the days of the four pack arcade machines. So awesome, despite them only having one new game, usually, per case in my hometown.

Justinh

Came with Rock Howard in my mind. Guess that's that.

MNi3gME.gif
all hail the Dong!

Don't think I have favorite SNK art or a fave SNK animation (maybe Mai?
shameful display!
)

I guess Rock would be my favorite character since Garou was the first game I bought with my Dreamcast. I bought it late, and I loved it.

A favorite stage would probably be from Samurai Shodown. Loved seeing this one dark field stage back in the day in the arcades. I'll have to find it, I think I can...

edit: I think it was this one, guess it wasn't as dark as I thought. Must've liked it so much since I liked Hanzo. memories...
WjNTvUt.gif

I remember liking that waterfall one from Garou, too.

I think I went on a Garou kick in Mugen (barf) before I had a dreamcast. God, what the hell was wrong with me?

Last Blade was legit, too.

Tain

no gif thread like an SNK gif thread

There's really nothing comparable to Japanese pixel art at its prime.

Like what looks like this?

mc1SHbe.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
No one appreciate Igniz, easily my favorite SNK Boss

MSRaaqC.gif

Also Zero too because anyone using their capes for attacks is snazzy

Neff

The richness of the Neo Geo/AES palette coupled with the artistic talent and large animation budgets SNK routinely utilised led to some of the best if not the best 2D stuff around. It's the kind of personal craft that never dates and will always look phenomenal.

JpUoaNc.gif

From SVC Chaos

This one's actually from Art of Fighting 3, just so you know.

jett

D-Member
I wonder what are all these amazing pixel artists up to these days.

For me MotW was the high point of the Neo Geo era. Just gorgeous animation.

AdanVC

no gif thread like an SNK gif thread

There's really nothing comparable to Japanese pixel art at its prime.

Like what looks like this?

mc1SHbe.gif

This is so gorgeous and calming. This is one of those threads were you wish you could print out gifs and put them on the wall.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I have always preferred snk to capcom, both art and game-wise(especially fighting games), but Capcom wins hands down for beat'em ups, weirdly snk weak point.

Sengoku 3 made up for previous SNK beat-em-ups. It's awesome.

iidesuyo

lastbladecd.jpg

Last Blade Neo Geo CD. Horrible loading times, but it was worth it. No way I could have afforded the cartridge games back then in 1998.

Top Bottom